Trades You Wish You Could Have Back...

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Let's hear them...with the season most likely being done and over with, what trades do you wish you could undo...???

(EDIT: Let's keep it to just trades from this season, and/or that have clauses in them that have outcomes affected by the stoppage of the 2019-20 season.)

Last edited:

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Let's hear them...with the season most likely being done and over with, what trades do you wish you could undo...???

Only trade from this deadline that really doesn't look good (aside from people trading for rentals, nobody know this was going to happen) is probably Guelph trading 2 3rds for Martin Has. He has 0 goals, is a -9 and has just 22 shots in 20 games for Guelph. Certainly hasn't performed the way many expected him to. Other than that I think most of the trades people have mostly gotten what they expected from it

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Only trade from this deadline that really doesn't look good (aside from people trading for rentals, nobody know this was going to happen) is probably Guelph trading 2 3rds for Martin Has. He has 0 goals, is a -9 and has just 22 shots in 20 games for Guelph. Certainly hasn't performed the way many expected him to. Other than that I think most of the trades people have mostly gotten what they expected from it
You don't think Oshawa would want to have back the player and NINE picks (including SIX 2nd rounders) that they gave up for Tomasino???

Reactions: BarberPole9

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
You don't think Oshawa would want to have back the player and NINE picks (including SIX 2nd rounders) that they gave up for Tomasino???

Definitely not. The trade is for next year, with this year being a bonus. The player is an NCAA guy so really just the picks. And Tomasino is a 100 point guy this year and will be back for a full season next year in which they're trying to host the Mem Cup, and even if they don't host, will be going all in to try to win their way to the Mem Cup.

If you wait and get Tomasino next deadline, he'll cost an '04 rookie first rounder, 3-4 2nds and 3-4 3nds. That's typical what a team Canada stud forward costs, historically. And that's for half a season of him.

Instead the Gens get him for 1.5 seasons and didn't even have to give up a player. And even with all the picks they gave up, they still have 5 2nds and 6 3rds that they can use as trade chips next year (along with their rookie 1st) and they got to keep Brett Harrison

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Definitely not. The trade is for next year, with this year being a bonus. The player is an NCAA guy so really just the picks. And Tomasino is a 100 point guy this year and will be back for a full season next year in which they're trying to host the Mem Cup, and even if they don't host, will be going all in to try to win their way to the Mem Cup.

If you wait and get Tomasino next deadline, he'll cost an '04 rookie first rounder, 3-4 2nds and 3-4 3nds. That's typical what a team Canada stud forward costs, historically. And that's for half a season of him.

Instead the Gens get him for 1.5 seasons and didn't even have to give up a player. And even with all the picks they gave up, they still have 5 2nds and 6 3rds that they can use as trade chips next year (along with their rookie 1st) and they got to keep Brett Harrison
Fair enough...I was thinking Tomasino was a year older than he is, and was unlikely to be back in Oshawa, but if he's coming back for another year, that changes things.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Fair enough...I was thinking Tomasino was a year older than he is, and was unlikely to be back in Oshawa, but if he's coming back for another year, that changes things.

Yeah he's only a 2001 born. Picked 1 spot ahead of Connor McMichael and 4 spots ahead of Ryan Suzuki in the 2019 NHL draft

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
As for Ottawa, no regrets. We didn't blow our brains out at the deadline. We only acquired Groulx for a 3, 5 and another later one. I still wish for the playoffs as we have an awesome team. Would we win? I think we have a good chance but who knows. For me not knowing is worse than losing.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
As for the Firebirds, I'd make the Vierling for Tucker/Piercey trade over again....and again...and again. I was never sold on Vierling, and he was not coming back to the 'Birds anyway. Tucker was great for Flint, and Piercey started off really hot before leveling out a bit. I expect to see him step it up to the level he arrived in Flint at next year.

If Lalonde plays his OA year, I'll be good with that deal, too, but without an OA year from him, I might want to take that deal back. Two 2nd round picks for him without a deep 2019-20 playoff makes me wish Flint still had those two 2nds to use next year.

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
Butler and the picks for Thomas kind of sucks, but we saw some exciting hockey with Thomas and Robertson firing on all cylinders. I don't think Butler is much of a loss, and it was good for Peterborough to continue being a destination. Haven't had a Team Canada guy waive a NTC for Peterborough in a while. I think the net positive of having a star join the Petes and the fans seeing some exciting hockey was worth the price paid.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

historically. Currently a WJC player (A.Thomas) is worth a 17 yr old 2nd pick; plus, 2,2,3,4.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Kitchener might not get to witness Jacob Ingham, Liam Hawel or Serron Noel play a single game in a Rangers jersey. I wouldn't say I'd take the trades back however as I think Rangers fans would be more upset with Mike McKenzie had he not gotten a goalie and some upfront talent.

No one predicts a pandemic to explode upon them 2 weeks before playoffs so I won't say there's any Rangers trades I'm upset with

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
historically. Currently a WJC player (A.Thomas) is worth a 17 yr old 2nd pick; plus, 2,2,3,4.

that’s an anomaly because of a lack of teams interested. It’s all about the market and there will be several good teams next year, not just the 1 East team who was looking to add like this year.
The last 2 times the gens traded away a Team C forward:

Anthony Cirelli goes for rookie first rounder (McShane), 3 2nds, 4th

Jack Studnicka and Brassard goes for rookie first rounder (Moore), 3 2nds, 3 3rds

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
that’s an anomaly because of a lack of teams interested. It’s all about the market and there will be several good teams next year, not just the 1 East team who was looking to add like this year.
The last 2 times the gens traded away a Team C forward:

Anthony Cirelli goes for rookie first rounder (McShane), 3 2nds, 4th

Jack Studnicka and Brassard goes for rookie first rounder (Moore), 3 2nds, 3 3rds

So not a rookie 1st plus 3-4 2nds and 3-4 3rds for one WJC player, historically.
Now that there are limits on trading future picks, we are seeing a market correction in trade value for all players. Imo, the Gens paid above market value to acquire a marquee piece ahead of a memorial cup bid.

Last edited:
Reactions: BarberPole9

kidconko

Dec 5, 2018
Can we get a refund on the Robertson deal last season? Ian Martin is barely an OHLer and Billy bailed as soon as he could.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Can we get a refund on the Robertson deal last season? Ian Martin is barely an OHLer and Billy bailed as soon as he could.

Niagara ends up with close to a wash I guess if you factor in both years. They get J.Robertson for Martin+Constantinou+picks then give up Thomas and Tomasino for Butler+picks

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Not so much trades we’d like to have back but perhaps winners and losers.

IMO, whoever sold graduating assets hard in a rebuild this year and have stocked draft cupboards and maybe added youth wind up coming out as winners.

Teams that went all in depleting their draft cupboards and/or traded away valuable youth in an effort to go deep in the playoffs come out as losers.

Obviously, this is the same every year except for the fact that since there are no playoffs, everyone who went all in lost out. That’s the difference this year vs any other year.

As a Ranger fan, we went all in pretty hard. We emptied our cupboard of every 2nd round pick that could have been traded plus other picks, along with Ryan Stepien, a player with two more years left to play in this league.

We’ll watch five top six forwards and one of the best goalies in the league this year graduate with zero playoff games under our belt.

Of course, nobody’s to blame. The whole of hockey was dealt a tough blow this year. But what do you do?

Quick question:

Were there any trades made this season that had conditions that hinged on playoff performance? Would be interested to know.

Reactions: Ptbomillsy619

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Of course, nobody’s to blame. The whole of hockey was dealt a tough blow this year. But what do you do?

Hindsight or a crystal ball would have been real handy to have had at this year’s deadline. EvenSteven in the whole of the OHL maybe the Rangers potentially come out the worst? MM built his team for these playoffs and sadly will most likely never know what could have been. He had to probably dig deeper (teams future) then anyone else to build it and for that the Rangers maybe are looking the worst? However the manner in which the Rangers had played so inconsistently down the stretch he may have avoided an early exit which would have had several calling for his head? Two sides to every coin?

Reactions: EvenSteven

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

The only real risk for Oshawa is if Nashville blows things up, and they see him being ready to make the jump.

Personally, I would leave him in junior and let him go on a run, but you never know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad