Trades on a Personal Level

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
You really have to feel for guys like Teddy and Nate. Both seemed like great guys that genuinely wanted to be in Tampa. Teddy was always representing charities and Nate by all account was an amazing teammate and person.

Teddy may have had a slight notion given his contract and production, but it seems like Nate was blindsided. Wish them the best in Edmonton and Anaheim. Thanks for the memories.

http://tbo.com/sports/lightning/bolts-trades-stun-purcell-thompson-but-they-understand-20140630/

Steve Yzerman

A New Season Begins
Mar 11, 2013
Mississauga
I might feel slightly bad for Thompson but he was signed with a big salary for a few years. He worked hard though and did his job. Purcell on the other hand was a lazy player who couldn't find his intensity while still collected a big cheque. I can't really bad for him. I'll wish them both all the best in their next chapter outside of Tampa though.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I might feel slightly bad for Thompson but he was signed with a big salary for a few years. He worked hard though and did his job. Purcell on the other hand was a lazy player who couldn't find his intensity while still collected a big cheque. I can't really bad for him. I'll wish them both all the best in their next chapter outside of Tampa though.

Yeah, I wouldn't feel too bad for Nate. He went to a legit cup contender who just got stronger.

Stammer Time*

Sons of Pirates
Dec 6, 2003
St.Pete, Florida
Purcell dug his own grave by not playing up to his skill level and as punishment he has been sentenced to Edmonton. IF he put forth the effort and maybe cut down on the excessive passing he would still be here.

Thompson through hard work has gotten more out of less skill and gets to go to a team that should be up there with Chicago and LA as preseason Cup favorites.

Hockey karma does exist.

Bolts265

Nov 9, 2011
Zephyrhills, FL
Apparently Purcell could not be coached out of his lazy butt attitude and pass first mentality. Can we call that insubordination? He got what he deserved...a ticket out of town.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This is why players want those NMC in their contracts so they don't get a phone call or pulled into the office to be told they have been traded.

To me just because a player has an off year, people should not be getting on their case and they certainly deserve a second chance to bounce back. If it continues into the 2nd year then something needs to be done.

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach
Yzerman is not afraid to make the unpopular move to make the team better. That's what makes a great gm. Also the paying his youth more to show loyality is a great quality of his. Even when he trades people they have the utmost respect for him and he is the first to explain his actions. You really cant ask for a better general manager.

After all this is a business, he has to do what he feels best for the overall team.

xteesy

Jun 19, 2014
Tampa
Yzerman is not afraid to make the unpopular move to make the team better. That's what makes a great gm. Also the paying his youth more to show loyality is a great quality of his. Even when he trades people they have the utmost respect for him and he is the first to explain his actions. You really cant ask for a better general manager.

After all this is a business, he has to do what he feels best for the overall team.

I feel people tend to forget that.

First and foremost, this is about money - not fans. I love the Lightning, I go to practically every event they throw. But I also remember that if Vinik isn't making money, or at least breaking even then there's an issue. What he's doing with our city is a class act move and we've gotta support him. Even if it means we lose some of our favorite players.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Sad to see Thompson go, but I'm ok with it. Nothing will really affect me the same as losing each of the Big 3 over time. I'll probably never be as attached to players as I was with them.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I think after losing Vinny and Marty last season we fans have become a lot more resistant to getting emotional in situations like this. It's a business after all and SFY has the guts to do what he has to do in order to improve the team - not just for next season but also long-term.

Nate was a favorite of mine because of his attitude. He gave 100% every shift and showed the way for other players: Hard work will get rewarded and leads to (positive) results. He deserved the "A" on his chest and a padded contract for a 4th liner. Now he will be part of one of the top-5 maybe even top-3 teams in the league. Best of luck to him.

Purcell has always been streaky. In the 2011 playoffs he was awesome (as was the whole team). But in both his full seasons under Boucher he was a healthy scratch for one game each - despite solid production on paper. That alone says a lot about his effort and attitude. Under Cooper he was demoted from 1st line duties to the 3rd line over the course of one season. Many nights he looked like a guy who has lost all interest in (successfully) playing hockey. He shied away from body contract, puck battles, defensive play - everything that represents Cooper's brand of hockey. Normally I am the one preaching patience (as with Vinny or even Lindback) but in this case it was crystal clear to me that Teddy wasn't a fit anymore. I'm glad SFY made the trade happen and I hope Teddy is able to turn the corner in Edmonton.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Everyone knows how I felt about teddy. Not a fit I disagree on the lazy etc.. he got snake bitten he had moments he doesnt play defense is my problem I had with him and doesnt use his body and get dirty goals. I never liked that. I really expected him here this year. I thought he would make it and stevie wasnt ready to clean house. He couldnt keep up with the youth and really was killing offense. That happens , I do think he is still a very good player!!

Teddy seemed like a good guy not exactly what I want in a hockey player but was a good representative of tampa and did a lot so wish him well. Think a new lease will give him many more good seasons. He had a down year that happens I dont think he fell off the truck he got passed by faster younger hungrier guys is all it happens. He will fit in somewhere imho very well.

Nate I loved he was solid. He was imo one of the best fourth line guys in nhl. Whatever you asked he got done and you could count on it. Some fans are bad reviewers in my estimation of what people brought or bring to a team. IE: Case in point most of our fan base wants stralman cause he is more physical?

Really go look at stats please? He is smaller and less physical than niskanen and fayne. So I figure a lot of you watch a different game then me or interpret the game a lot differently lol.

Nate was very solid in what was asked sure he was not a scorer but that is not a fourth liner's job. Sure at times he got hemmed in with the line mates he had but honestly how many times did this man cost us a game?

He was there he was good he is upstanding person just like I believe teddy is and both will be missed. We are younger stronger faster better is all it is. Time to move on stevie made the call. Whether I fully agree or not im ok with it. Time to let these kids shine and the ones that dont? Is some of you gonna be mad again probably.

Is too much competition show it bring it or good bye. Is just the nature of what is being built. Long run that pays off.

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
I hate to be "that guy" but knowing some of the dynamics and cliques of the team makes reading some of these posts humorous. The recent removal of four players will take more than just them from the team...

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
Cryptic. Care to elaborate?

I don't want to betray any trusts so I don't share very often, my apologies for that. It makes reading these boards (especially this season!) tough sometimes.

It's probably saying too much, but all four of recently departed players had...common interests, shall we say? Could have easily been any in the headline(s). The team is better for their removal.

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
Sucks for guys to have to uproot their families if they have them but they know it's part of the business. From quotes they've given they understand Yzerman had to move them to be able to go out and make the team better.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I don't want to betray any trusts so I don't share very often, my apologies for that. It makes reading these boards (especially this season!) tough sometimes.

It's probably saying too much, but all four of recently departed players had...common interests, shall we say? Could have easily been any in the headline(s). The team is better for their removal.

I had a feeling Purcell and Malone were buddies, and I guess it's not surprising Thompson and Crombeen were too since they're of a similar age.

Anyway... Yzerman has made this 100% his team. Rebuild is over... it's time to see how this baby runs.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa

Doesnt surprise me ... it explains a lot.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL

If true then I'm glad they are out and away from our kids.

I had suspicions that Teddy partied with Malone, so that doesn't surprise me. Not entirely sold that Nate or Crombeen partied like that, but I don't have any shred of evidence to the contrary. Just a gut feeling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad