GDT: Trades & Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
I don't disagree. I really want Kampf gone but it's gonna be tough to dump him at his current state. That's about the only forward to me that is really way below their efficiency cap value. You could probably replace him with a Sam Carrick for a fraction of the price and get similar value on the ice. He can PK and ok on draws but he just sucks everywhere else.
But who goes out in the last few minutes to take a dzone faceoff and help preserve a lead? Yes, it’s Kampf. Is he overpaid? Definitely, maybe by a million or so. But who would replace the valuable minutes he provides?

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Yeah it was interesting when Kyper asked, what is the cutoff line? I'd say they need to have a good showing vs Florida but Kyper thought ECF. He might be right. The window for a SC has been 8 years with not much to show for it. Dubas really f***ed it up.

Be great if any of the 3 can stick. You did not include McMann who I see being in the lineup. I think Marner probably goes because he will demand too much money and we need a dman who can replace Rielly on the PP.

There are so many possibilities as to who stays and who goes.
Yes I ended up realizing I left McMann out so I went back and edited my post to replace Jarnkrok on the fourth line as it’ll save the Leafs some cap space that way as well.

Unless they loose in a dog battle in seven games (if they make it to the second round), not sure how you run it back for the ninth time lol. That would be complete insanity lol.

Reactions: ToneDog

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Yeah it was interesting when Kyper asked, what is the cutoff line? I'd say they need to have a good showing vs Florida but Kyper thought ECF. He might be right. The window for a SC has been 8 years with not much to show for it. Dubas really f***ed it up.

Be great if any of the 3 can stick. You did not include McMann who I see being in the lineup. I think Marner probably goes because he will demand too much money and we need a dman who can replace Rielly on the PP.

There are so many possibilities as to who stays and who goes.
I think I agree, that nothing short of a trip to the finals is what’s needed in order to only see one major move (trade Marner, which I hope happens regardless), along with some minor tweaks. I think Bertuzzi is worth what we’re paying him if he continues to contribute in the playoffs the way he has been doing. And I would also bring Domi back, but I would like to see both him and Bert play with Matthews.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
But who goes out in the last few minutes to take a dzone faceoff and help preserve a lead? Yes, it’s Kampf. Is he overpaid? Definitely, maybe by a million or so. But who would replace the valuable minutes he provides?

Matthews? JT? They both took 400 faceoffs more than him and had better face off wins percentage. I'd much rather have our superstar or captain take that draw than David Kampf.

He just doesn't do anything great to justify paying him 2.4M. He doesn't play tough or valuable minutes either, he played less than 11 minutes this year. He was tried on the 3rd line and he looked pretty bad, so he was stapled to the 4th line. He works hard and he's ok here and there, but I think we can probably be fine without his cap hit and replacing it with a cheaper alternative.

Last edited:

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Matthews? JT? They both took 400 faceoffs more than him and had better face off wins percentage.

He just doesn't do anything great to justify paying him 2.4M. He doesn't play tough or valuable minutes either, he played less than 11 minutes this year. He was tried on the 3rd line and he looked pretty bad, so he was stapled to the 4th line. He works hard and he's ok here and there, but I think we can probably be fine without his cap hit and replacing it with a cheaper alternative.
Holmberg has impressed me with his play these playoffs, he could definitely be a Kampf replacement worst case. You also have Minten who could be pushing for that fourth line center position.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I think I agree, that nothing short of a trip to the finals is what’s needed in order to only see one major move (trade Marner, which I hope happens regardless), along with some minor tweaks. I think Bertuzzi is worth what we’re paying him if he continues to contribute in the playoffs the way he has been doing. And I would also bring Domi back, but I would like to see both him and Bert play with Matthews.
I am not sure if we keep Bert and/or Domi unless we can move Kampf, Jarnkrok, Robbie, Marner?. If they decide to give one or two of Minten, Cowan and Greyb true opportunities, we have too many bodies IMO.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
You still need to kick the tires on both
I'd want a min of 2 RHD and ideally 3, but, $$ will likely get tossed around to make that impossible,
they need one from the defensive with size group and one from the mobile group.
Size/Defense
Pesce
Tanev
Zadorov (can play both sides)
Skjei (LHD, but he is really good)
Hakanpaa

movers/2-way (smallish)
Walker
Carrier
Roy
DeMelo
Montour (priced out for sure)

I'd only resign Domi if we can get him at 4 or less, and want nothing to do with Bert
spend almost all our cap on Defense.
We'd likely need to deal one of or both of Kampf/Jarnkrok if they wanted to sign a goalie as well, else Samsonov walks, and we go Woll - Hildi or a league min Vet Driedger is the only 'decent' UFA goalie unless we gamble on a backup that had a good season like Stolarz or Brossoit
Ideally we try to get an NHL ready goalie that is blocked by a 'star' ...Askorov will likely NOT be available ever, and Soros would be a bad pickup
Silvos Canucks blocked by Demko
Luukkonen is interesting as Buff also has Levi (but could run both)
Detroit has 2 blocked by Husso but both young enough to wait out the Husso contract
Devils have a couple and are looking for a more experienced G

If we could move Samsonov's rights we should be all over that.
I’m torn on the rhd needs. McCabe is turning into a rock solid top 4 dman who has shown he can play on his offside. Boosh is playing above his normal play, but would be a solid 5/6 dman. Who knows if Liljegren will ever develop into a solid top 4 dman, and he will not be a top 2. So to me, we need to trade him. We certainly won’t get a top 2 rhd for him alone, so maybe he could be a piece needed to get the top 2 rhd that we desperately need, or a quality backup goalie.

Reactions: ToneDog

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
With Ottawa being such a disaster, I wonder if Chabot would be a good target. If he can stay healthy, he’s good for at least 50 points. He’s a lefty but with McCabe showing he can play his off side effectively, it could be a good addition. Chabot - McCabe, that’s a pair you can easily play 20+ minutes a night in any type of situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Malachi Crunch

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
I am not sure if we keep Bert and/or Domi unless we can move Kampf, Jarnkrok, Robbie, Marner?. If they decide to give one or two of Minten, Cowan and Greyb true opportunities, we have too many bodies IMO.
I can see us moving both Robertson and Jarnkrok (McMann can do what Jarny does, plus he’s more dangerous offensively). I think they have no intention of moving Kampf. Yes, he’s overpaid by a million or so, but he is an important part of the PK, as well as helping protect a lead late in the game. So that at least opens up one forward spot.
A top 2 rhd who is a threat on the PP is one move that needs to happen in the summer!

If Pelley really wants to shake things up, he will see that too much is being paid to the core players, and Marner is the one who needs to be traded. But I’m not sure he will want to make any of these major moves.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
With Ottawa being such a disaster, I wonder if Chabot would be a good target. If he can stay healthy, he’s good for at least 50 points. He’s a lefty but with McCabe showing he can play his off side effectively, it could be a good addition. Chabot - McCabe, that’s a pair you can easily play 20+ minutes a night in any type of situation.
He hasn't looked really good in a couple of years. It may have been the injuries but his development has kind of stalled which may be on the Sens or it may just be on him. IMO he doesn't look close to being an $8M player. I think he could be part of a return in the unlikely event of a Marner deal but it seems like massive cap to take on otherwise.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I can see us moving both Robertson and Jarnkrok (McMann can do what Jarny does, plus he’s more dangerous offensively). I think they have no intention of moving Kampf. Yes, he’s overpaid by a million or so, but he is an important part of the PK, as well as helping protect a lead late in the game. So that at least opens up one forward spot.
A top 2 rhd who is a threat on the PP is one move that needs to happen in the summer!

If Pelley really wants to shake things up, he will see that too much is being paid to the core players, and Marner is the one who needs to be traded. But I’m not sure he will want to make any of these major moves.

A very important part of what has been a very bad PK all year long. Kampf is overpaid by at least a million dollars, he has to go. 4th liners and penalty killers are available in abundance every offseason in free agency

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
He hasn't looked really good in a couple of years. It may have been the injuries but his development has kind of stalled which may be on the Sens or it may just be on him. IMO he doesn't look close to being an $8M player. I think he could be part of a return in the unlikely event of a Marner deal but it seems like massive cap to take on otherwise.
He’s still playing 23+ minutes a night and someone who would definitely benefit from playing with a better team. He’s very talented, can play both sides of the ice and fits into the age group. His stock is lower atm which is why it wouldn’t be a bad time to jump on it.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Not really a fan of Wennberg tbh. He's alright but not moving the needle in a tight playoff series.

If we're going after former Seattle centres I'd rather just trade for the last year of Gourde's contract. He's a proven playoff performer, physical, and a selke caliber defender.

As far as free agents I'd look at Monahan, Duchene, Stephenson, Lindholm, and Pavelski ahead of Wennberg too.

Other players I'd have interest in for a 2C/3C role are Jenner, Bjugstad, Dickinson, Sissons, Dowd.

I doubt Seattle is trading Gourde

Those other guys will be more expensive than Wennberg as well, we would struggle to fit them under the cap

Worse players imo, might be cheaper than Wennberg though

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
A very important part of what has been a very bad PK all year long. Kampf is overpaid by at least a million dollars, he has to go. 4th liners and penalty killers are available in abundance every offseason in free agency
So you think he’s the main problem with the PK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad