Trades & Free Agency Talk XXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Somebody is going to have to play center in 2 years. Kunin going back there after a multi-year hiatus is just as palatable as trying to fit Greenway in that spot after playing it for 15 college games.

Reactions: 57special

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Or they were just trying to break him into a pro league.

He's had a year+ of pro league experience, and had enough games this year to be recovered/in shape from his injury last season. If GMPF saw him as a future NHL center, he'd have the Iowa coach playing him as a center.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Somebody is going to have to play center in 2 years. Kunin going back there after a multi-year hiatus is just as palatable as trying to fit Greenway in that spot after playing it for 15 college games.
The fact that they would play Greenway at center in that situation but won't play Kunin at center in his sitution is rather telling.

Maybe I'm not making my point clear? I don't know if the kid can play center or not in the NHL. I'm not even trying to say that he can't or won't ever play center in the NHL. All that I am trying to say is that it seems pretty obvious to me that the Wild don't see him as a center.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
The fact that they would play Greenway at center in that situation but won't play Kunin at center in his sitution is rather telling.

Maybe I'm not making my point clear? I don't know if the kid can play center or not in the NHL. I'm not even trying to say that he can't or won't ever play center in the NHL. All that I am trying to say is that it seems pretty obvious to me that the Wild don't see him as a center.

Fair. But I guess what I'm saying is that how you see somebody yesterday or today doesn't mean that you'll see them the same way tomorrow.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

I still think they'll try and transition Greenway to center again; it might work, but probably won't. I think they jumped the gun on it with trying to make it work in the NHL this season.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Fair. But I guess what I'm saying is that how you see somebody yesterday or today doesn't mean that you'll see them the same way tomorrow.
I agree with that. But, with the current center situation, if they think he has any chance of being a center, he should be playing there now.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I tend to agree with @2Pair here. He's played more C in the past than most of our prospects, and he could do it again, but it seems like Wild management and coaching sees him as more of a winger right now.

Just as a thought experiment, how many guys (for any team) have played center in junior/college/Europe, then transitioned to winger, and then have gone back to center and succeeded at it? Seems like there are a lot more guys who play center at younger ages, but end up being wingers in the pros.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Meh. Kunin wasn't even healthy enough for camp. I can't really say what would have happened if Kunin hadn't have gotten injured last season.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
He's had a year+ of pro league experience, and had enough games this year to be recovered/in shape from his injury last season. If GMPF saw him as a future NHL center, he'd have the Iowa coach playing him as a center.
Meh. Kunin wasn't even healthy enough for camp. I can't really say what would have happened if Kunin hadn't have gotten injured last season.
Arguing just to argue?

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
I wonder if Domi would have 30 points in a Wild sweater if the Wild made that trade in summer

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Kunin can play center, but I'd rather have him as a wing. It frees him up to play the Parise type role on the forecheck and backcheck; which I think he's well suited to do. He doesn't have the speed/skating to play deep in the o-zone and still cover the transition game and d-zone responsibilities. I'd still have him work on taking FOs, just to have another RHS option for that.
nvm, misread. i agree with you.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I wonder if Domi would have 30 points in a Wild sweater if the Wild made that trade in summer

Doubt it. Could see him around where Staal and Koivu are though.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Arguing just to argue?

More to the point of you saying it's telling that they put Greenway there and not Kunin during the preseason. One was healthy and one wasn't. A healthy Playoffs and offseason you can say with any certainty that Kunin doesn't get a look at center this last preseason?

It could just as easily have been Kunin playing wing/center in the NHL, and Greenway in Iowa playing wing/center when the season started.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
More to the point of you saying it's telling that they put Greenway there and not Kunin during the preseason. One was healthy and one wasn't. A healthy Playoffs and offseason you can say with any certainty that Kunin doesn't get a look at center this last preseason?

It could just as easily have been Kunin playing wing/center in the NHL, and Greenway in Iowa playing wing/center when the season started.
They started Greenway's 1st season in the NHL by playing him at center. They started Kunin's 2nd season in the AHL by playing him at wing. It isn't difficult.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
They started Greenway's 1st season in the NHL by playing him at center. They started Kunin's 2nd season in the AHL by playing him at wing. It isn't difficult.

And? Greenway shouldn't have even been in the NHL to start the season, let alone trying to play center in the NHL. Remember BB did say he saw Coyle as a 2C this offseason too, and Greenway started there over him too. :facepalm:

I agree that Kunin should be a wing, but to say something is telling when the team makeup is different between the years and one player is injured and the other one not.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Greenway was so good at center that they put him back at wing and haven’t thought of putting him back since.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
And? Greenway shouldn't have even been in the NHL to start the season, let alone trying to play center in the NHL. Remember BB did say he saw Coyle as a 2C this offseason too, and Greenway started there over him too. :facepalm:

I agree that Kunin should be a wing, but to say something is telling when the team makeup is different between the years and one player is injured and the other one not.
Greenway was so good at center that they put him back at wing and haven’t thought of putting him back since.
:facepalm: You guys are both making my point for me without even realizing it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad