Trades & Free Agency Talk XXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I would say at this point center is a more important need than right wing. Staal and Koivu are 34 and 35. Who knows how much longer they'll play at these levels. After that we have Eriksson Ek who doesn't belong in the NHL right now, and then after that we have McBain and Khovanov who are years away from a top 6 role, if they ever even make it that high. I think we have a little more options as far as guys who could play RW in the future (Granlund, Kunin, Kaprizov, Sokolov, Greenway)
I guess one could also argue Granlund/Kunin/Greenway could play center in the NHL as well. All have seen x amount of time at center in their careers. I feel confident in saying that Kaprizov, Sokolov and Greenway will all be left wingers. Kunin is probably best a right wing. Granlund I’m concerned is a risk for leaving after next season.

Two seasons from now this could be the lineup:
Parise-Eriksson Ek-Nino
Zucker-Greenway-Kunin
??????
??????

Suter-Dumba
Brodin-Pateryn
Seeler-????

Dubnyk
????

Center is pretty bare if the idea of Kunin/Greenway ever playing center is off the table. Lot of turnover coming these next two years and with it a lot of cap space. I’m on the boat that thinks we should trade Staal, Spurgeon, and Coyle for picks/prospects. Keep the good complementary players around and try to get as many opportunities to find diamonds as possible.

I’ll even provide examples of what I mean:
Spurgeon for Kapanen+Liljegren
Coyle for Frederic
Staal for 1st+2nd

Lineup:
Zucker-Koivu-Granlund
Parise-Frederic-Kapanen
Greenway-Eriksson Ek-Kunin
Foligno-Fehr-Brown
Read

Suter-Dumba
Brodin-Pateryn
Seeler-Liljegren

Dub
Stalock

Idea: short term loss for long term gain.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I guess one could also argue Granlund/Kunin/Greenway could play center in the NHL as well. All have seen x amount of time at center in their careers. I feel confident in saying that Kaprizov, Sokolov and Greenway will all be left wingers. Kunin is probably best a right wing. Granlund I’m concerned is a risk for leaving after next season.

Two seasons from now this could be the lineup:
Parise-Eriksson Ek-Nino
Zucker-Greenway-Kunin
??????
??????

Suter-Dumba
Brodin-Pateryn
Seeler-????

Dubnyk
????

Center is pretty bare if the idea of Kunin/Greenway ever playing center is off the table. Lot of turnover coming these next two years and with it a lot of cap space. I’m on the boat that thinks we should trade Staal, Spurgeon, and Coyle for picks/prospects. Keep the good complementary players around and try to get as many opportunities to find diamonds as possible.

I’ll even provide examples of what I mean:
Spurgeon for Kapanen+Liljegren
Coyle for Frederic
Staal for 1st+2nd

Lineup:
Zucker-Koivu-Granlund
Parise-Frederic-Kapanen
Greenway-Eriksson Ek-Kunin
Foligno-Fehr-Brown
Read

Suter-Dumba
Brodin-Pateryn
Seeler-Liljegren

Dub
Stalock

Idea: short term loss for long term gain.
Go ahead and explain why someone should think there's chance that Kunin plays center in the NHL? After that, try to explain why playing Granlund there would be a good idea?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
But you are claiming he is not good at things.
I have seen him play center and wing in college and wing in the NHL. That's what my opinion is based on.

FTR- I am not saying that there's no chance he can play center in the NHL. But It would be extremely stupid of Fenton and Kurvers to be playing him at wing right now if they thought he was going to be a center. I would hope that they can see that the Wild are a littlethin there right now?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Go ahead and explain why someone should think there's chance that Kunin plays center in the NHL? After that, try to explain why playing Granlund there would be a good idea?

I don’t think it’s absolute zero, so “a chance” isn’t too out of line.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I’m sure if you gave it an ounce of effort you could figure the first one out on your own. The second, it’s not a good idea but he might *need* to play center. You can’t tell me otherwise, especially with you being uber convinced Kunin can only play right wing.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I’m sure if you gave it an ounce of effort you could figure the first one out on your own. The second, it’s not a good idea but he might *need* to play center. You can’t tell me otherwise, especially with you being uber convinced Kunin can only play right wing.
I would like to see you actually put forth that effort, though. Enlighten me.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I have seen him play center and wing in college and wing in the NHL. That's what my opinion is based on.

FTR- I am not saying that there's no chance he can play center in the NHL. But It would be extremely stupid of Fenton and Kurvers to be playing him at wing right now if they thought he was going to be a center. I would hope that they can see that the Wild are a littlethin there right now?
How foolish of me. You’ve definitely seen him play more than I have...:rolleyes:

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Kunin can play center, but I'd rather have him as a wing. It frees him up to play the Parise type role on the forecheck and backcheck; which I think he's well suited to do. He doesn't have the speed/skating to play deep in the o-zone and still cover the transition game and d-zone responsibilities. I'd still have him work on taking FOs, just to have another RHS option for that.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I would like to see you actually put forth that effort, though. Enlighten me.
Cause in college he was equally as good at center and as right winger. Which is, quite literally, what Kunin has said, what I’m saying and what you should know after watching him so much in college. His sophomore year they just stacked the top line and Frederic couldn’t play winger. In the WJC, it was rather obvious that Kunin could play a top defensive role. He and Greenway were on the top PK unit together. He blocked a ton of shots. Was definitely a center on that team too.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
where did he play last year?
Perhaps in his first pro season they just want to get him acclimated to the playstyle. There could be a million reasons why they do what they do. They could just think he’s better at wing for reasons like Wabit provided.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Perhaps in his first pro season they just want to get him acclimated to the playstyle. There could be a million reasons why they do what they do. They could just think he’s better at wing for reasons like Wabit provided.
Yes, and the bottom line of all that mess is simple, they don't think he's a center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad