Trades and Free Agent Talk - To trade or not to trade...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Are you using a 11 game sample to suggest that Babcock can't motivate our young players?

Did I not watch Rielly score 73, Marner score 94 points last season? Matthews could have been up there too if he wasn't injured.

Guys like Mikheyev, Kapanen, Johnsson, Kerfoot, Moore, Timashov are all playing well....

I think the issue isn't Babcock's ability to motivate young players... its our young players that need to learn to put in a consistently strong effort, every single night.
I can't blame Babs this early...he hasn't done what I would have done(but i ain't makin' the big bucks) but it's early yet,with some key guys out. Freddy not up to par,Hutch with the B2B games,goofy reffing can all be legitimate aspects that could excuse Babs.

Although I haven't seen it mentioned ,but has anyone else noticed the unforced errors . Seems like a lot of sloppy play,whether they bobble the puck,whiff on a shot ,make a pass that's way off ,not clicking. maybe it's just me ,but those errors have led to scoring chances /goals. Actually Freddy has made a lot of those errors,he needs to stop handling the puck if he can't do it well.

Reactions: baton elevated

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I can't blane Babs this early...he hasn't done what I would have done(but i ain't makin' the big bucks) but it's early yet,with some key guys out. Freddy not up to par,Hutch with the B2B games,goofy reffing can all be legitimate aspects that could excuse Babs.

Although I haven't seen it mentioned ,but has anyone else noticed the unforced errors . Seems like a lot of sloppy play,whether they bobble the puck,whiff on a shot ,make a pass that's way off ,not clicking. maybe it's just me ,but those errors have led to scoring chances /goals. Actually Freddy has made a lot of those errors,he needs to stop handling the puck if he can't do it well.
Pretty fair assessment. A lot of bobbles because there isn't one single line or D pair that was together last year. Takes some time to develop familiarity and chemistry.

Babcock showing why Matthews and Marner aren't ideal at 5v5.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Pretty fair assessment. A lot of bobbles because there isn't one single line or D pair that was together last year. Takes some time to develop familiarity and chemistry.

Yeah,I guess my expectations are to high. These lads are so talented though,when they make a mess of an easy play it irks me. Still lots of games to figure stuff out . Really, they have only seen 8 different teams so far. Lots of knee-jerk opinions this early...some of it entertaining...some not so much!

Reactions: kb

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018

I think a Matthews /Marner combo can be offensively magical,with the proper 3rd player ,maybe even a great 2 way line. They are young and haven't been given a long enough look yet. I would like to see more ,for a while against different teams top lines...I bet they can figure it out!

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Are you using a 11 game sample to suggest that Babcock can't motivate our young players?

Did I not watch Rielly score 73, Marner score 94 points last season? Matthews could have been up there too if he wasn't injured.

Guys like Mikheyev, Kapanen, Johnsson, Kerfoot, Moore, Timashov are all playing well....

I think the issue isn't Babcock's ability to motivate young players... its our young players that need to learn to put in a consistently strong effort, every single night.

interesting you just jumped into a conversation as per usual. go back and read the conversation we were having and youll see why this post here couldnt be more irrelevant

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
interesting you just jumped into a conversation as per usual. go back and read the conversation we were having and youll see why this post here couldnt be more irrelevant

Im sorry, I thought I was on a public forum where everyone was welcome to chime in...

I went back and read the conversation (interestingly enough, you ‘jumped into a conversation’ yourself)... I don’t how my post Is irrelevant or how you can suggest that Babcock can’t motivate or is having difficulty motivating young players...

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Im sorry, I thought I was on a public forum where everyone was welcome to chime in...

I went back and read the conversation (interestingly enough, you ‘jumped into a conversation’ yourself)... I don’t how my post Is irrelevant or how you can suggest that Babcock can’t motivate or is having difficulty motivating young players...

so you read the posts we were talking about and still miss the point? not surprising.

Im sure you would notice i was talking in "ifs" to another poster. "If babcock needs...." etc it was a hypothetical conversation no one was saying babcock cant do these things it was a conversation on perhaps he needs these things and i was saying "IF" he does then he isnt the right coach

edit: i didnt jump into a conversation i replied to a posters comment, you jumped into the conversation and questioned my post without any context and assume, if you dont know the difference then im not sure what to tell you

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
so you read the posts we were talking about and still miss the point? not surprising.

Im sure you would notice i was talking in "ifs" to another poster. "If babcock needs...." etc it was a hypothetical conversation no one was saying babcock cant do these things it was a conversation on perhaps he needs these things,

Well, when I responded to your post I asked you whether you were using 11 games to suggest he can’t motivate young players... because it’s not as clear as you think it was... not sure why you took offence to that...

The hypothetical doesn’t make any sense IMO.

Reactions: Walshy7

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I wouldn't be against giving Perlini a third chance, since he does have some good upside and would fill a need if he does turn into something, but IDK if I would want to deal with Darren Ferris again. He'll probably think Perlini is like a prime Rick Nash or something.

But even if he's only a one year project and then prices himself out, that's still a decent consideration... Especially if they are looking at maybe moving a pricier forward like a Johnsson to make room elsewhere.

Depends on what Chicago is looking for I guess. They can't be asking for a ton considering Perlini is a 4th liner with upside at best right now.

NCoRe

Dec 30, 2007
Seinäjoki
Couple of days ago there was a article in FanSided about Leafs interested of signing CSKA Moscow forward Konstantin Okulov. I would love to have him, though would think there's interest from other teams aswell. He's a late bloomer, but I could see him makin impact like Mickey this year. Nice 3rd line C for us cheap.

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
To toronto: michael del zotto, Nick Ritchie
To Anaheim: Ceci, Petan, Holl or Maricin

Would like to see Ritchie in leafs uni, give him a change and del zotto would be ok on 3rd pair, free up cap and contract

Anaheim apparently needs help on D with Mason out, give ufa option with ceci and pecan a chance

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
To toronto: michael del zotto, Nick Ritchie
To Anaheim: Ceci, Petan, Holl or Maricin

Would like to see Ritchie in leafs uni, give him a change and del zotto would be ok on 3rd pair, free up cap and contract

Anaheim apparently needs help on D with Mason out, give ufa option with ceci and pecan a chance
Del Zotto is worse than both Holl and Marincin and Ritchie isn't worth that much.

Our defense would get way worse than it is now even if Dermott steps up for a marginal difference up front over Timashov/Moore.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Marner and Matthews should have never been paired up when Tavares went down. Nylander and Matthews work together and know each other. Everyone says that Marner can lead and drive his own line. Let him do so. Pairing him with Matthews only proves that he cant!!!! Big mistake by Babcock.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Marner and Matthews should have never been paired up when Tavares went down. Nylander and Matthews work together and know each other. Everyone says that Marner can lead and drive his own line. Let him do so. Pairing him with Matthews only proves that he cant!!!! Big mistake by Babcock.

everyone cried about it for 3 years. Babcock does it for 3 games and it’s a huge mistake?

Reactions: LeafSteel

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Also. Babcock just came out and said they were always getting. Rid of the third year of Marleau. Which most suspected at the time.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
everyone cried about it for 3 years. Babcock does it for 3 games and it’s a huge mistake?
When it very clearly doesn't work then Yes.

You also don't split up a pair that are clearly dominating play together aside from a low shooting percentage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->