Trades and Free Agent Talk - To trade or not to trade...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I'd like to see a soft trade

Petan, Schmalz, Marincin to Dallas for Martin Hanzal (LTIR), Rights to Julius Honka, Jason Robertson.

Dallas has $815 worth of cap space right now with a 20 man roster, and get 3 players they can plug into the lineup right now. Dallas can't afford to use the LTIR room for Hanzal as they have Heiskanen racking up ELC bonuses. It gives them breathing room the rest of the season.

For the Leafs, another $4,75 million to LTIR is nothing, and they get the rights to a potential top 4 RD next year, along with a solid LW prospect with waiver eligibility for taking on the LTIR. This is basically buying futures. And reuniting the Robertson brothers.

Honka is not a potential top 4 defenseman anymore. He's hardly even a potential top 6 defenseman at this point. I doubt Dallas is going to give up Robertson to dump Hanzal.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Last nites game should calm any Kappy trades...if he goes it better be for a bruiser of a Dman or a part of a package for a real power forward. His value is way higher than most Leaf fans on here think!

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Holl is playing really well and if he's playing with somebody of Dermott's quality you may find they could do the same job
Holl did Ok last nite...I think he just needs to go around the block once to get a sense of what he can/can't do.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm wondering if moving one of the Big 4 will be the ultimate Clark for Sundin trade for us at some point down the road over the next 12-24 months. This time we will be on the Quebec side of things where we trade a young scoring star for help to round out the team (Marner) and go after UFA defensemen with the money saved:

Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-J. Anderson
Kapanen-Kerfoot-Moore
Timashov-Gauthier-Korshkov

Rielly-Pietrangelo
Werenski-Ceci
Dermott-Tanev

Andersen
Georgiev

Reactions: ER89

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Winnipeg picked up Sbisa. Clearly we should trade them Ceci when one of Dermott/Hyman return. Otherwise, I think Kapanen or Johnsson are the odd one out. Could've just not signed Ceci and kept Marner at <10.55, but what do I know.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
He's getting better with consistent game time

He's gone from fringe NHL player to best bottom pair option in the organization behind Sandin and Dermott in 10 games

He's the least of our problems
Agreed. Not perfect, but perfectly fine as a placeholder.
It’s almost like Babs and Dubas haggled out the 3rd pair.
They each got to pick one: Dubas, Holl; Babs, Marincin.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
He's getting better with consistent game time

He's gone from fringe NHL player to best bottom pair option in the organization behind Sandin and Dermott in 10 games

He's the least of our problems
Lou Lam told him he reminded him of Rafalski,in the sense that he was a late bloomer...likely just encouraging words. Not sure Babs saw it that way,but yeah ,maybe confidence building is a real thing!

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Our defense will look way different by the trade deadline. I would only do this if Babcock is gone because Keefe will actually play the kids.

Keep Ceci until Hyman and JT are back and you can sign Dermott to an extension, play Dermott on the third pair to get up to speed again, then trade him and Holl and bring up Sandin-Liljegren.

Rielly-Dermott
Muzzin-Barrie
Sandin-Liljegren
Marincin

-Throw this out there for 30-35 games and if the kids can't handle then you can always find some kind of upgrade at the deadline.

*This is all contingent on Dermott looking like he can make the jump to a top 4 spot this year.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Holl looks solid. Hes a good skater with size who is a pretty decent puck mover with a strong defensive stick. He can PK too which is huge and shoots right.

I think he may be a permanent option.

Reactions: Cobra777

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Last nites game should calm any Kappy trades...if he goes it better be for a bruiser of a Dman or a part of a package for a real power forward. His value is way higher than most Leaf fans on here think!
Been saying it all along, AJ will be the one who gets traded before Kap as Kap is a very effective PKer and his speed is special. AJ is pretty much a dime in the dozen mid 6 wingers who can score and that’s it. Trade AJ for someone who is physical winger or Dman.

Kevs Security

inmateMack/CanesMack/LeafMack/elMacko
May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Who exactly are these big egos in Toronto locker room? Matthews? For all I know Freddy, Goat, Johnny, AJ, Rielly, Dermott, etc are humble boys.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I'm wondering if moving one of the Big 4 will be the ultimate Clark for Sundin trade for us at some point down the road over the next 12-24 months. This time we will be on the Quebec side of things where we trade a young scoring star for help to round out the team (Marner) and go after UFA defensemen with the money saved:

Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-J. Anderson
Kapanen-Kerfoot-Moore
Timashov-Gauthier-Korshkov

Rielly-Pietrangelo
Werenski-Ceci
Dermott-Tanev

Andersen
Georgiev

I was saying on another thread that one of the big four-leadership wise, JT,AM,MM and Reilly will be traded for vet help if the team continue to under perform. Was saying it will be Marner for Kopitar due to having very similar contract in terms of money and length. Leafs will be better for 2-3 yrs(hopefully Cup Win) while Marner will light it up in LA. Win-win for both teams. The trade AJ and Ceci for a better Dman.
Hyman-Matthews-Willie
Moore-JT-Kopitar
Soup-Kerfoot-Kap
Tima-Goat-Shore

Reilly-Dumba or someone like him
Muzzin-Barrie
Dermott-Holl

that’s a pretty good lineup.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
I was saying on another thread that one of the big four-leadership wise, JT,AM,MM and Reilly will be traded for vet help if the team continue to under perform. Was saying it will be Marner for Kopitar due to having very similar contract in terms of money and length. Leafs will be better for 2-3 yrs(hopefully Cup Win) while Marner will light it up in LA. Win-win for both teams. The trade AJ and Ceci for a better Dman.
Hyman-Matthews-Willie
Moore-JT-Kopitar
Soup-Kerfoot-Kap
Tima-Goat-Shore

Reilly-Dumba or someone like him
Muzzin-Barrie
Dermott-Holl

that’s a pretty good lineup.
Wtf im no mitch fan but hell no to that trade.

Reactions: kb

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
The Leafs have never and will never have a core with as good an opportunity to win than this one. It's time to make tough decisions to give them the best opportunity to win.

FIRST - Fire Babcock
  • Im sorry, but he's done here. The team doesn't play for him anymore.
  • Not a bad coach, but not the right coach for this team.
  • Replace with Sheldon Keefe
SECOND - Add Grit + Defence
  • Trade: Timothy Liljigren for Tyler Bertuzzi
    • this is a tough one, Liljigren has great potential, but also needs time.
    • Bertuzzi adds an element the team doesnt have, Detroit has time and Liljigren would already be one of their better D-men
  • Trade: Cody Ceci & Nick Petan for Erik Gudbranson (50% Ret) and Casey DeSmith
    • Gudbranson isnt a good d-man by any means, but can be used on the PK and adds an element we are lacking to our back end. Gives us cap flexibility this year and a backup goalie.
  • Trade: Kasperi Kapanen + Small Add for Adam Larsson
    • Oilers get a speedy winger who can score to play with McDavid/Draisaitl/RNH
    • Leafs get a big, top 4 RHD who has fallen out of favour in Edmonton
  • Trade: 3rd Rdp + Mason Marchement for Marcus Foligno ($1,000,000 Ret.)
THIRD - Lines

Bertuzzi - Matthews - Marner
Johnsson - Tavares - Nylander
Hyman - Kerfoot - Micheyev
Foligno - Gauthier - Moore

Rielly - Larsson
Muzzin - Barrie
Dermott - Gudbranson

Andersen
DeSmith

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The Leafs have never and will never have a core with as good an opportunity to win than this one. It's time to make tough decisions to give them the best opportunity to win.

FIRST - Fire Babcock
  • Im sorry, but he's done here. The team doesn't play for him anymore.
  • Not a bad coach, but not the right coach for this team.
  • Replace with Sheldon Keefe
SECOND - Add Grit + Defence
  • Trade: Timothy Liljigren for Tyler Bertuzzi
    • this is a tough one, Liljigren has great potential, but also needs time.
    • Bertuzzi adds an element the team doesnt have, Detroit has time and Liljigren would already be one of their better D-men
  • Trade: Cody Ceci & Nick Petan for Erik Gudbranson (50% Ret) and Casey DeSmith
    • Gudbranson isnt a good d-man by any means, but can be used on the PK and adds an element we are lacking to our back end. Gives us cap flexibility this year and a backup goalie.
  • Trade: Kasperi Kapanen + Small Add for Adam Larsson
    • Oilers get a speedy winger who can score to play with McDavid/Draisaitl/RNH
    • Leafs get a big, top 4 RHD who has fallen out of favour in Edmonton
  • Trade: 3rd Rdp + Mason Marchement for Marcus Foligno ($1,000,000 Ret.)
THIRD - Lines

Bertuzzi - Matthews - Marner
Johnsson - Tavares - Nylander
Hyman - Kerfoot - Micheyev
Foligno - Gauthier - Moore

Rielly - Larsson
Muzzin - Barrie
Dermott - Gudbranson

Andersen
DeSmith

Frankly, I hate all of it.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Frankly, I hate all of it.

Even firing Babcock?

Anyway, not that Babcock and toughness are synonymous, it's very unlikely that they go get a bunch after he leaves. I actually think the forward group could use some more variation. But that's a bit overboard.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
What if we try

Matthews - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Nylander - Kapanen
Micheyev - Kerfoot - Hyman
Tymashov - Goat - Moore

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Even firing Babcock?

Anyway, not that Babcock and toughness are synonymous, it's very unlikely that they go get a bunch after he leaves. I actually think the forward group could use some more variation. But that's a bit overboard.

I went straight to the trades, skipped GO, and Skipped the firing Babcock bits. I'm ambivalent. Fire him, don't fire him... don't care.

I'd give the players a few more games, but not too much...From what I've seen, the players just haven't been working hard enough, or perhaps not executing well enough at times, particularly our big money guys. I'm not in the room, or the building to know what the problem is. Easy to sit behind my screen and say Babcock has lost them... but how do I know, or you know? Surely Dubas and Shanahan have a pretty good feel as to what is going on, and surely they've talked to Babcock. Ultimately it's Babcock's job to get these guys to perform, and win, and if he can't, next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad