Trades and Free Agent Talk -- Insert witty title here

Status
Not open for further replies.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
The only thing about Zadorov that's similar to chara is the sport they play and how big they are, as for the actual hockey playing ability part your contention is laughable, Zadorov wishes he could be that good

What's it about you people and big guys that hit stuff?
true Zadorov isn't Chara, but having a big mean D man that's not a defensive liability is something I'd like to see on the Leafs, it's too bad it wasn't him packaged with Kerfoot for Kadri instead of Barrie.

Reactions: Faltorvo

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
true Zadorov isn't Chara, but having a big mean D man that's not a defensive liability is something I'd like to see on the Leafs, it's too bad it wasn't him packaged with Kerfoot for Kadri instead of Barrie.

All we'd have in Zadorov is a decent bottom pairing LD with size. Maybe Barrie isn't the best fit, but in terms of pure value, Barrie at 50% has significantly more, even as a rental. At least the guy can play in a top 4.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The thing is, we need RHD, not LHD... we already traded for Muzzin, have Dermott, Rielly, Sandin.... A big guy is nice to have, but it's not where our weakness was, and still is... You aren't going to trade away Kadri for another LHD, it just never would have happened.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Disagree. Not saying Zadorov will ever reach Chara’s level of dominance, but no one else has the package of Zadorov’s potential. Monstrous size with the thick build, booming slapper, 20 foot long stick that he uses, and he actually uses his body a lot... It also took Chara about 6 years to really find his footing in the league. Name me a better Chara comparable.

It took Chara 7 years after his draft eligible year to become a top 4 quality defenseman. This is Zadorov's 7th year and pretty much the best he's shown is he can be a decent #5. So unless he takes a massive leap in quality this year to become a true top 4 defenseman like Chara did, and then another massive leap in quality to become a top pairing defenseman the next year like Chara did, then Zadorov's not coming anywhere close to Chara.

Pretty much nobody is going to become like him. Guys like Hamilton or Hedman are big and skilled, but not nearly as physically dominant. Guys like Carlo are not good enough and likely never will be. Byfuglien was the closest to having the overall package, but he's also pretty old himself. Heck even if Zadorov turns out he is no where near the physical force that Chara was. He'd be closer to a lite-version of Hedman if anything.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
As a Flames fan 2nd, that’s not even bloody close. We love those those players, and Flames fans know why the Leafs want them. You’re not getting Hammer alone for that ‘package’. And as much as one may think Flames fans have soured on Bennett it’s not the case, they’re a patient group, as they were with Backlund. Jankowski is the one drawing the ire of fans.

Again, Zadorov is like one of the most rare assets in the entire league, he’s basically Chara’s successor at this point. Not even close again.

Value-wise, Hamonic would not garner more than Barrie straight up, and he'd likely need matching retention to do so. So the Leafs would be able to get Hamonic alone for that package value-wise. Whether Calgary wants to trade away a more defensive guy for a PPQB and the Leafs vice-versa in a shake-up deal would be the sticking point.

We wouldn't get Bennett but we don't even need him since the Leafs should not even touch that second deal with a 10-foot pole.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
LEAFS - FLAMES
Tyson Barrie & Nick Petan
For
Travis Hamonic & Sam Bennett

LEAFS - AVALANCHE
Andreas Johnsson & Cody Ceci
For
Nikita Zadorov & 3rd

Bennett - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - - Tavares - - Marner
Micheyev - Kerfoot - Kapanen
Tymashov - Gauthier - Moore

Rielly - Hamonic
Muzzin - Dermott
Zadorov - Holl

You're expecting to place a return player on our first line with a fella that's been waved twice? That's bad.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
I would have preferred the Colorado trade as well. I'd have said Kerfoot is better than Jankowski, and Barrie better than Brodie (at least offensively). The Calgary trade might have been better from a cap perspective, since Jankowski was still an RFA for this season, and Brodie *might* be the easier re-sign considering the lower offensive numbers. I wouldn't like to prioritize the off-ice (cap) over the on-ice though, so that's why I'd opt for the Colorado offer.

That said, Brown being part of the proposed Calgary trade changes the Ottawa trade in some unknown way, and Kadri ultimately used his veto to nix the initial move anyway. It's a matter of what is versus what couldn't be.

I'd be fine with adding Pietrangelo depending on the cap ramifications. Not sure who replaces Kerfoot at 3C though.
Imo Kerfoot stays absent the crazy ascent of a C prospects this season. Mango & kappy are much more likely targets to move as you have internal replacements in the org making sub 1m. imagine what we just went through missing JT and not having footy in the line up? Spezza would be the 2C or it forces Nylander off Matthews RW.

Reactions: Buds17

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Imo Kerfoot stays absent the crazy ascent of a C prospects this season. Mango & kappy are much more likely targets to move as you have internal replacements in the org making sub 1m. imagine what we just went through missing JT and not having footy in the line up? Spezza would be the 2C or it forces Nylander off Matthews RW.
He is probably the worst of the bunch though. That may count for something.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
31 Thoughts: Maple Leafs not sweating goaltending situation - Sportsnet.ca
9. The Maple Leafs appear less worried than everyone else about the position. They didn’t win any of Michael Hutchinson’s starts, but don’t appear hell-bent on chasing outside the organization. They passed on Louis Domingue at least twice, once on waivers and once as a trade target. One obvious play would be Arizona’s Eric Comrie, with the same cap hit as Hutchinson, albeit one more year. But I can find no evidence Toronto’s inquired. Others who make financial sense are Minnesota’s Alex Stalock ($785,000 for two more seasons) or the Pittsburgh duo of Tristan Jarry ($675,000 this year and an RFA) or Casey DeSmith (his $1.25 million for the next two seasons might be too pricey).

A lot of this uncertainty goes back to Michal Neuvirth, who had a great opportunity to snare the role in camp. But he was hurt and didn’t seem to have his heart in it.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I was thinking about trades and thought these two trades could be good for us and the other teams involved.

To Pittsburgh

Johnsson

To Toronto

McCann
Jarry/DeSmith

To Edmonton

Barrie

To Toronto

Benning
2nd/3rd round pick

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I was thinking about trades and thought these two trades could be good for us and the other teams involved.

To Pittsburgh

Johnsson

To Toronto

McCann
Jarry/DeSmith

To Edmonton

Barrie

To Toronto

Benning
2nd/3rd round pick

I'd do the first. Wouldn't touch the second.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
The thing is, we need RHD, not LHD... we already traded for Muzzin, have Dermott, Rielly, Sandin.... A big guy is nice to have, but it's not where our weakness was, and still is... You aren't going to trade away Kadri for another LHD, it just never would have happened.

except..... Brodie was the first trade. Remember?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Johnsson and Barrie
for
Nurse and Puljujarvi

I know Nurse isn't a RD, but so far this year, neither is Barrie.

Not sure if Oilers can do the Cap though.

Rielly - Ceci
Muzzin - Holl
Nurse - Dermott

Nurse isn't the sharpest, but that applies to most of the Leafs defenders.

Really depends on the perceived value of Puljujarvi.

Reactions: dubplatepressure

Ziner

Mar 2, 2003
Kitchener
Visit site
I’m not sure at this point what the best solution is but the guys need to get hungry again. Ideally we don’t trade any of the big four, but in the off-season it might have to happen.

The first trade I feel like is very reasonable for both teams. We likely give up the better player at the moment but receive help in areas of need and some potential.

DAL - Kapanen, Kaskisuo
TOR - Faksa, Khudobin(50% retained), Eriksson, Hanzal(if they need to send him for cap purposes for using LITR)

The second trade I can understand there might have to be a little more given up in the way of Sandin or Liljegren. I would try to however use any other part we could to make this work. It is a 3-way trade which can complicate things but I think the cap relief will help Edmonton facilitate other trades if necessary. Columbus May be the one that might ask for some more.

EDM - Kerfoot, Barrie
CLB - Nugent-Hopkins, Ceci, Bracco, Lindgren, TOR 2021 1sr(Condition it moves to 2022)
TOR - Jones, Stenlund, Benning

Lineup when healthy.

Johnsson - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Mikheyev - Faksa - Moore
Timashov - Shore - Gauthier
Spezza

Rielly - Jones
Muzzin - Benning
Dermott - Holl
Marincin

Andersen
Khudobin

I realize while Marner is out we might lack a little skill but can give Korshkov a chance. If the guys turn it around I would look at Schaller from Vancouver and Rowney from Anaheim for some more 4th line support.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Johnsson and Barrie
for
Nurse and Puljujarvi

I know Nurse isn't a RD, but so far this year, neither is Barrie.

Not sure if Oilers can do the Cap though.

Rielly - Ceci
Muzzin - Holl
Nurse - Dermott

Nurse isn't the sharpest, but that applies to most of the Leafs defenders.

Really depends on the perceived value of Puljujarvi.

I would do that today. I think the time to trade Johnsson is now. This brings in quality D and some sandpaper and grit which we need desperately.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Reaching the quarter point of the season, it is likely we will see some shakeup occur sooner rather then later. Every team in the NHL use the quarter pole of a season to assess their teams. The Leafs will be starting to make deals soon. They cannot continue down this path with the team they have. They WILL miss the playoffs with this team they have assembled today. Change is needed

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I agree with others that Johnsson is a guy you move, but only if it upgrades the D. I would look at extending Timashov at a Moore/Petan deal first though and then let those 3 battle it out for that spot with Matthews and Nylander.

Petan has a 68% CF in 6 games this year which is ridiculous considering his zone starts and the guys he plays with typically.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Too many of the same types of player on this team. Skill is nice but no one wants to get their hands dirty by forechecking / finishing checks or playing responsible defensive hockey. It's all pond hockey.

I lay the blame at the feet of the GM for assembling the team. The team is done with the coach, he ran his course, which is normal, coaches are hired to be fired.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Too many of the same types of player on this team. Skill is nice but no one wants to get their hands dirty by forechecking / finishing checks or playing responsible defensive hockey. It's all pond hockey.

I lay the blame at the feet of the GM for assembling the team. The team is done with the coach, he ran his course, which is normal, coaches are hired to be fired.

Agree but if the GM does not change his vision, changing the coach is going to do nothing. Soft, skilled hockey does not win in the NHL, especially if the players do not have the will. Not being able to take the puck away from Czikas on our PP was telling. Not one player was willing to knock him off the puck.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

They do have skill they can trade.

The question is will they?

Of course, we know the outcry would be "Leafs gave up a top 6 player for some knuckledragger." Like the often quoted Hyman's a 4th. liner playing on the top line!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad