Trades and Free Agent Talk -- Insert witty title here

Status
Not open for further replies.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Charlie Lindgren, Alexander Georgiev, Anton Forsberg, Alex Lyon, Alex Nedeljkovic.

Those are some targets for a backup this year that both fit the Leafs cap and are decent upside plays.

I'd pay a bit more for Georgiev.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Charlie Lindgren, Alexander Georgiev, Anton Forsberg, Alex Lyon, Alex Nedeljkovic.

Those are some targets for a backup this year that both fit the Leafs cap and are decent upside plays.

Jack Campbell as well

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

Babcock is pretty adamant on the his goalies being of certain height and I think few of these wouldn't work for him. Not a chance IMO Montreal helps us here. They've taken 4 points off us already possibly due to this issue.

Georgiev is most interesting, but is going to be the most costly.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Babcock is pretty adamant on the his goalies being of certain height and I think few of these wouldn't work for him. Not a chance IMO Montreal helps us here. They've taken 4 points off us already possibly due to this issue.

lol lindgren passed through waivers.

They'll take anything for a guy in the AHL

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017

If we got rid of Babcock it wouldn't matter?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
They're essentially trying to grab lightning in a bottle with any back up goalie for the rest of the year. Kaskisuo gets a chance but then it'll be bargain bin hunting again.

Don't forget McBackup had a forgettable start with Columbus and was waived before coming to the Leafs and getting on a roll. Hutchinson also struggled with the Panthers last year before the Leafs acquired him and he performed admirably down the stretch.

Reactions: Menzinger

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Looking at options out there DeSmith could be one ... Anthony Stolarz from Anaheim might be a consideration, so could Cal Petersen ..

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Looking at options out there DeSmith could be one ... Anthony Stolarz from Anaheim might be a consideration, so could Cal Petersen ..
I suggested this one earlier.....AJ and Petan for Eaves (LTIR), Stolarz, and one of Ritchie, Comtois or Jones.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
LEAFS - FLAMES
Tyson Barrie & Nick Petan
For
Travis Hamonic & Sam Bennett

LEAFS - AVALANCHE
Andreas Johnsson & Cody Ceci
For
Nikita Zadorov & 3rd

Bennett - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - - Tavares - - Marner
Micheyev - Kerfoot - Kapanen
Tymashov - Gauthier - Moore

Rielly - Hamonic
Muzzin - Dermott
Zadorov - Holl

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I also like the idea of Swapping Barrie for Hamonic. Both are going to be UFA's next off-season.

Calgary needs more offense and Barrie might be a better fit there. Leafs need a more shut down/gritty Dman

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
They're essentially trying to grab lightning in a bottle with any back up goalie for the rest of the year. Kaskisuo gets a chance but then it'll be bargain bin hunting again.

Don't forget McBackup had a forgettable start with Columbus and was waived before coming to the Leafs and getting on a roll. Hutchinson also struggled with the Panthers last year before the Leafs acquired him and he performed admirably down the stretch.

Not really... He played 5 games and only won two... Against New Jersey and Vancouver. Both were games the Leafs dominated, and both were games where he faced less than 30 shots. Made his save percentage look respectable. He sucked against Boston, Minnesota and Nashville (aka good teams last year) with a combined .SVV of .884. To make matters worse, his AHL performances weren't even amazing. Kaskisuo was amazing and was outplaying him pretty much from the beginning of Hutch's Marlies career, but Hutch was not even making the decision difficult by the end. I actually saw him in person in his playoff game against Charlotte and the guy looked like he didn't even know the basics of positioning. No rebound control. Nothing. I bet Kaskisuo would have let in maybe 2 goals that game; I think Hutch let in 5. Easily the worst player on the ice, and while Tokarski playing a stellar game had a lot to do with the win, the Marlies wouldn't have won due to Hutch's abysmal performance anyways.

The guy was never going the be the option the Leafs wanted. It was clear he was a downgrade on Sparks from the start but he was also the best we could do to appease Babcock with an experienced large goalie in that price range, and I bet Dubas was really counting on Neuvirth being healthy/good enough to win that job. Unfortunately, he wasn't healthy enough.

Hopefully he can regain his form from two years ago and at least be a stellar #3/AHL starter/mentor for Woll on the Marlies and replace Kaskisuo's lofty contributions.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
LEAFS - FLAMES
For

LEAFS - AVALANCHE
For
Nikita Zadorov & 3rd

Rielly - Hamonic
Muzzin - Dermott
Zadorov - Holl

Calgary won't do that and the Avs deal is an abomination, if the GM even suggested that and I owned the team I'd fire him on the spot

My God that's bad

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto

My idea was Johnsson for Georgiev & 2nd.

We can use the money to re-sign Mikheyev. Would work with Kapanen as well.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

Kaskisuo is better than Stolarz. At this point any goalie could catch lightning in a bottle so for all we know Stolarz could be our saviour or a total bust, but you can say that about literally every possible backup option right now.

I don't think the Leafs go with DeSmith. PIT will want too much, there are no guarantees with him (only one quality season on a team where even mediocre goalies typically do well), and the cap doesn't work (and I definitely am not paying the premium required for them to retain). Plus PIT will probably want him as insurance given Murray's injury history.

Petersen is another solid option. Only problem is price. How much are you willing to pay for a 25 year old goalie with a good, but very limited, NHL track record and quality AHL numbers. I think he's worth a shot, but I wouldn't give up more than Petan and Hutch for him, considering all a 25 year old Calvin Pickard garnered Vegas was a contract dump prospect (Lindberg) and a 6th. Pickard had a much better track record than Petersen at the time of acquisition.

We aren't short on possibilities. There are countless options that are all about as equally viable and likely quite inexpensive to acquire. The problem is none of them are anything close to guarantees nor clear cut upgrades over Kaskisuo or will solve our problems anymore than Sparks did last year. We'd essentially just be shooting in the dark and hoping one turns out like we are doing with Kaskisuo right now, because on the surface I don't think any of them are any more likely to succeed as our backup than Kaskisuo at this point.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
My idea was Johnsson for Georgiev & 2nd.

We can use the money to re-sign Mikheyev. Would work with Kapanen as well.

I liked the idea of using Bracco to get Georgiev. Something like Bracco + Hutch + mid-late round pick (if necessary) for Georgiev.

Bracco is a quality prospect, but at this point it is looking like a trade is the only way he's really going to get into the NHL. I do not have a problem with using him to get a more pressing need, and I am sure the Rangers are not going to scoff at the prospect of adding a super talented local kid and giving a chance to Shestyorkin.

Problem is that I think they will still look for an overpayment and hope to get it from a team who views him as a young potential starter for them next year (i.e. Talbot and Raanta but younger). The Leafs are not going to pay that price, because he's not going to be a starter for us (at least next year).

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Calgary won't do that and the Avs deal is an abomination, if the GM even suggested that and I owned the team I'd fire him on the spot

My God that's bad

You are saying it's bad for the Leafs right... Because Zadorov is the worst player in that deal.

Leafs should just make it one-for-one. Hamonic for Barrie with them retaining to even out the money. We don't need to add the physical player to the mix at all.

Reactions: Kiwi

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
You are saying it's bad for the Leafs right... Because Zadorov is the worst player in that deal.

Leafs should just make it one-for-one. Hamonic for Barrie with them retaining to even out the money. We don't need to add the physical player to the mix at all.

Yeah, that Avs deal is a train wreck for us

Johnsson is the best player in that deal by a country mile, who coincidentally is currently playing on our best offensive line

I'd do Barrie for Harmonic if the money gets evened out, both guys seem to need a change of scenery and their skill sets are better suited to the other teams

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
LEAFS - FLAMES
For

LEAFS - AVALANCHE
For
Nikita Zadorov & 3rd

Rielly - Hamonic
Muzzin - Dermott
Zadorov - Holl

As a Flames fan 2nd, that’s not even bloody close. We love those those players, and Flames fans know why the Leafs want them. You’re not getting Hammer alone for that ‘package’. And as much as one may think Flames fans have soured on Bennett it’s not the case, they’re a patient group, as they were with Backlund. Jankowski is the one drawing the ire of fans.

Again, Zadorov is like one of the most rare assets in the entire league, he’s basically Chara’s successor at this point. Not even close again.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
As a Flames fan 2nd, that’s not even bloody close. We love those those players, and Flames fans know why the Leafs want them. You’re not getting Hammer alone for that ‘package’. And as much as one may think Flames fans have soured on Bennett it’s not the case, they’re a patient group, as they were with Backlund. Jankowski is the one drawing the ire of fans.

Again, Zadorov is like one of the most rare assets in the entire league, he’s basically Chara’s successor at this point. Not even close again.

The only thing about Zadorov that's similar to chara is the sport they play and how big they are, as for the actual hockey playing ability part your contention is laughable, Zadorov wishes he could be that good

What's it about you people and big guys that hit stuff?

Last edited:
Reactions: SprDaVE

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
The only thing about Zadorov that's similar to chara is the sport they play and how big they are, as for the actual hockey playing ability part your contention is laughable, Zadorov wishes he could be that good

What's it about you people and big guys that hit stuff?

Disagree. Not saying Zadorov will ever reach Chara’s level of dominance, but no one else has the package of Zadorov’s potential. Monstrous size with the thick build, booming slapper, 20 foot long stick that he uses, and he actually uses his body a lot... It also took Chara about 6 years to really find his footing in the league. Name me a better Chara comparable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->