Trades and Free Agent Talk -- Insert witty title here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Jankowski has 0 points in 17 games this season...0.

I think the Leafs did better with the deal from Colorado. I thought Jankowski might be better as 3C, but he's soft for a big guy and produces less. Kerfoot probably was a better choice, he can fill in at 2C. Though, Jank is the better defensive player, if he played like his size indicated he'd be more interesting. Brodie shoots left and had 3 sub 40 point seasons in a row and Barrie shoots right and had 50+ two years in a row. So, from a value perspective and fit perspective I think they made the right move. It should show more statistically throughout the season.

I still think Pietrangelo replaces Barrie in the summer and Kerfoot should be moved to bring in a heavy forward like Lawson Crouse.

Reactions: Joel Ward

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I think the Leafs did better with the deal from Colorado. I thought Jankowski might be better as 3C, but he's soft for a big guy and produces less. Kerfoot probably was a better choice, he can fill in at 2C. Though, Jank is the better defensive player, if he played like his size indicated he'd be more interesting. Brodie shoots left and had 3 sub 40 point seasons in a row and Barrie shoots right and had 50+ two years in a row. So, from a value perspective and fit perspective I think they made the right move. It should show more statistically throughout the season.

I still think Pietrangelo replaces Barrie in the summer and Kerfoot should be moved to bring in a heavy forward like Lawson Crouse.

I would have preferred the Colorado trade as well. I'd have said Kerfoot is better than Jankowski, and Barrie better than Brodie (at least offensively). The Calgary trade might have been better from a cap perspective, since Jankowski was still an RFA for this season, and Brodie *might* be the easier re-sign considering the lower offensive numbers. I wouldn't like to prioritize the off-ice (cap) over the on-ice though, so that's why I'd opt for the Colorado offer.

That said, Brown being part of the proposed Calgary trade changes the Ottawa trade in some unknown way, and Kadri ultimately used his veto to nix the initial move anyway. It's a matter of what is versus what couldn't be.

I'd be fine with adding Pietrangelo depending on the cap ramifications. Not sure who replaces Kerfoot at 3C though.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I would have preferred the Colorado trade as well. I'd have said Kerfoot is better than Jankowski, and Barrie better than Brodie (at least offensively). The Calgary trade might have been better from a cap perspective, since Jankowski was still an RFA for this season, and Brodie *might* be the easier re-sign considering the lower offensive numbers. I wouldn't like to prioritize the off-ice (cap) over the on-ice though, so that's why I'd opt for the Colorado offer.

That said, Brown being part of the proposed Calgary trade changes the Ottawa trade in some unknown way, and Kadri ultimately used his veto to nix the initial move anyway. It's a matter of what is versus what couldn't be.

I'd be fine with adding Pietrangelo depending on the cap ramifications. Not sure who replaces Kerfoot at 3C though.
We can't pay Pietrangelo what we did the other guys. He'll have to settle for 9 or the Leafs could look towards Krug.

Reactions: Buds17

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Anaheim needs to up its offense, Toronto could use some bolstering in its D zone and 'toughness' categories.

To Anaheim: Andreas Johnsson, Kaspari Kappanen, Tyson Barrie
To Toronto: Nick Ritchie, Josh Manson, Ryan Miller

We lose two very competent wingers who are outscoring and offer upgrades against the Anaheim comparables and Barrie may regain the spark that looked so attractive to the Leafs.
Miller solidifies 2G for us (.926 s/avg), Ritchie can add muscle up front (and perhaps his unrealized potential) and when healthy, Manson would be Rielly's best partner ever.

We also improve in the salary cap world...every little bit helps.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Jankowski has 0 points in 17 games this season...0.
He could be a good buy low candidate though. he was pretty good the last two seasons and still just 25 years old.

6'4" left shot C that could move all over the lineup and let us be flexible with Kerfoot in game as well.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Anaheim needs to up its offense, Toronto could use some bolstering in its D zone and 'toughness' categories.

We lose two very competent wingers who are outscoring and offer upgrades against the Anaheim comparables and Barrie may regain the spark that looked so attractive to the Leafs.
Miller solidifies 2G for us (.926 s/avg), Ritchie can add muscle up front (and perhaps his unrealized potential) and when healthy, Manson would be Rielly's best partner ever.

These trades make us so bad... good lord what people will give up for the slightest bit of toughness....

Manson is injured so who knows what he'll be like when he gets back, Kapanen and Johnsson are both wayyy better than Ritchie and Miller is a 37 year old backup.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Here is the problem. Barrie is a UFA, so in order for this to be attractive, he would need to either agree to an extension in principle before the trade, or actually an extension before the trade. There is no chance that Anaheim makes a trade for Barrie otherwise.

That being said, I actually had suggested Barrie, Nylander and Timashov for Manson, Ritchie and Comtois. Ducks fans on the trade board don't like it, they think Nylander isn't good enough, and just benefits from playing with Matthews.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
These trades make us so bad... good lord what people will give up for the slightest bit of toughness....

Manson is injured so who knows what he'll be like when he gets back, Kapanen and Johnsson are both wayyy better than Ritchie and Miller is a 37 year old backup.

Over the last two years Miller has averaged 24 games/season, coupled with his 5 so far he's averaged close to .920save percentage (.926 over 5 games this year). He can fill the need we have, a reliable, solid 2G. Given our success this year and last with Hutchinson and Sparks, wouldn't a fella sporting a solid save percentage be a nice change?
I'd argue that Manson is a better player than any of the three we'd be giving up, or put a better way, Manson is a strong, defensively responsible RD. Had Dubas acquired him last year as opposed to Muzzin, I believe Leaf fans would be as appreciative of what Manson brings to the table as what Muzzin has, and Manson is signed for another two years at 4.1M. His injury, a sprained knee, should be healed by early Dec. and he and the Leafs would have ample time to bring him up to speed with the team. Ritchie vs either Johnsson or Kappy is the lesser of both. However, he does bring some feistiness and scoring to the team. A poor man's Zack Hyman, not as good on the forecheck but more abrasive?
Manson/Barrie...I'll take Manson. He fits with Rielly, he's physical, clears the crease, defensively sound, and signed.
Miller/Kappy or AJ...long term, take either winger, this year and maybe next, I think Miller wins you more points in the standings. Start 20, win 10 (doable at .926?), keep Andersen fresh and it's worth more than what Kap or AJ will secure, IMO.
Ritchie/KK or AJ...you're right, the Leafs lose on this comparison, but it's not a total wash, again IMO.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Jon Gillies, Chris Driedger, Anton Forsberg, Chris Gibson and Ville Husso, would be solid targets if we're looking for goaltenders that could push for a backup role. They are all cheapish and having pretty good seasons in the AHL, with most of them with at least some form of NHL experience. I'm sure they aren't all available for different reasons, but I'm confident a couple of them are easily acquirable.

I'm not sure if a Petan level player is enough but I think if Domingue can get traded for a conditional 7th rounder, I wouldn't expect these guys to be much more expensive than that.

Leafs also checked in on Scott Darling but apparently he's going to play in Austria? He's been terrible for a long time anyway, so I don't think that's much of a loss.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Here is the problem. Barrie is a UFA, so in order for this to be attractive, he would need to either agree to an extension in principle before the trade, or actually an extension before the trade. There is no chance that Anaheim makes a trade for Barrie otherwise.

That being said, I actually had suggested Barrie, Nylander and Timashov for Manson, Ritchie and Comtois. Ducks fans on the trade board don't like it, they think Nylander isn't good enough, and just benefits from playing with Matthews.

Fair comment. Wish I'd thought of it.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I don't mind a trade with Barrie, Johnsson and B prospect for a Defensive dman and bigger banger winger with skill.

How about this:

Barrie, Johnsson, Prospect

to Minnesota

for

Brodin, Greenway

Reactions: Duffman955

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Jon Gillies, Chris Driedger, Anton Forsberg, Chris Gibson and Ville Husso, would be solid targets if we're looking for goaltenders that could push for a backup role. They are all cheapish and having pretty good seasons in the AHL, with most of them with at least some form of NHL experience. I'm sure they aren't all available for different reasons, but I'm confident a couple of them are easily acquirable.

I'm not sure if a Petan level player is enough but I think if Domingue can get traded for a conditional 7th rounder, I wouldn't expect these guys to be much more expensive than that.

Leafs also checked in on Scott Darling but apparently he's going to play in Austria? He's been terrible for a long time anyway, so I don't think that's much of a loss.

A lot of those names don't have significant NHL experience and their AHL records are not much better than Kaskisuo, so we might as well just see what we have in Kaskisuo.

Domingue also had like one mediocre backup season behind a stellar team. He's overpaid and likely not going to be very good, not that we can afford him anyways.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
A lot of those names don't have significant NHL experience and their AHL records are not much better than Kaskisuo, so we might as well just see what we have in Kaskisuo.

Domingue also had like one mediocre backup season behind a stellar team. He's overpaid and likely not going to be very good, not that we can afford him anyways.

Better than 0.

Of course you take a look at Kaskisuo for a couple games and see how it goes, but I would not be surprised if there's a trade in the next couple days/weeks for a goaltender in the mold that I mentioned.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Why aren't the Leafs looking at some goalies without contract right now like Chad Johnson or Steve Mason or Al Montoya?

All 3 of those goalies would be great choices as backups to Andersen.

Reactions: Duffman955

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Why aren't the Leafs looking at some goalies without contract right now like Chad Johnson or Steve Mason or Al Montoya?

Steve Mason has retired due to concussions.

Chad Johnson was atrocious last year. Montoya sucked too.

Most likely none of those guys are better than Hutch, which says something.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Steve Mason has retired due to concussions.

Chad Johnson was atrocious last year. Montoya sucked too.

Most likely none of those guys are better than Hutch, which says something.

One bad season between the pipes playing on a horrible Anaheim team last season doesn't make Chad Johnson the same as Hutch. Johnson actually started in this league. Montoya sucked on a horrible Arizona team.

Give these guys a call see what they are up to. Bring them in on a try out like they did with Neuvirth. If it works great, if not, keep looking. But promoting from within isn't the answer. I hope I am wrong and get surprised. But I don't see any harm in trying out some goalies.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
One bad season between the pipes playing on a horrible Anaheim team last season doesn't make Chad Johnson the same as Hutch. Johnson actually started in this league. Montoya sucked on a horrible Arizona team.

Give these guys a call see what they are up to. Bring them in on a try out like they did with Neuvirth. If it works great, if not, keep looking. But promoting from within isn't the answer. I hope I am wrong and get surprised. But I don't see any harm in trying out some goalies.

Chad Johnson was bad on Buffalo the year before that too, and sucked in STL too. Getting rid of him for Binnington was a huge boost for their team.

I guess two straight seasons where you are one of the leagues' worst goalies ends your career at 33.

The last time Montoya played on an Arizona team they were still called the Phoenix Coyotes. Montoya was bad at the AHL level last year (he wasn't even in the NHL) and was bad the year before in the NHL as well. Once again, two straight seasons where you are one of the leagues' worst goalies ends your career at 34.

Reactions: stickty111

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

They'd have to go on a PTO with the Marlies first to get their conditioning up and then evaluate how they are doing. This would take a couple weeks to figure out at the minimum. None of those guys are any good or had any success in recent years.

You might as well just ride Kaskisuo or Hutchinson if you're best course of action is signing Chad Johnson or Al Montoya.

I get the reservations with Kaskisuo here but I've seen these journeyman goaltenders come in and really play well in time of need. Hutchinson wasn't able to do it but at some point we'll find someone that works. We really need about 12 to 15 games from our backup to finish the season...

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
He could be a good buy low candidate though. he was pretty good the last two seasons and still just 25 years old.

6'4" left shot C that could move all over the lineup and let us be flexible with Kerfoot in game as well.

He would be the equivalent to a Gauthier at this point in terms of need within the line-up. He would probably be getting the same treatment that Spezza is getting as well, so it's probably not worth the value for the Leafs to give up any assets, other than a lateral depth trade. ie. Marincin or Aberg.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016

That’s bad...

Reactions: stickty111

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
So no actual concrete connection between your first point and what it's become, just a piss poor segue into off-topic negativity, neat!

This (connection) has already been explained to you. Its (lack of decent backup goalie) another concern amongst (several) others about whether our management group is as good as we hope. Wanting our team to have a decent backup whether through drafting or other means (who cares, how difficult can this be?) is by no means odd or bizarre. You don't want to see it because it gets in the way of your mission/crusade which is to denigrate people you don't like who have other opinions other than your own.

:deadhorse :deadhorse :deadhorse

not neat!!!

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
I like the idea of Hamonic for Barrie type of deal.

Change offense to defense. Would also give us flexibility to change pairings as well.

Wouldnt mind adding a big, energy winger as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad