Trades and Free Agent Talk - A New Season A New Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Minnesota has very little in the way of offense, or RW's.... Perhaps something around Kapanen for Greenway as a basis?

Gives us some size and grit, a decent LW, and would allow us to maintain a 23 man roster, under the cap.

Thoughts?

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Minnesota has very little in the way of offense, or RW's.... Perhaps something around Kapanen for Greenway as a basis?

Gives us some size and grit, a decent LW, and would allow us to maintain a 23 man roster, under the cap.

Thoughts?
What is Minny's motivation for this? Genuinely curious...

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
What is Minny's motivation for this? Genuinely curious...

Their lineup is devoid of natural RW's. Brings more speed and offense to their lineup.

Kapanen would currently be tied for the most points on their team.

There is only seven months in age between them, and at this point, Kap has shown more in the NHL.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Their lineup is devoid of natural RW's. Brings more speed and offense to their lineup.

There is only seven months in age between them, and at this point, Kap has shown more in the NHL.

I would do it. Great pickup for Matthews LW.

kb

Aug 28, 2009

Wouldn't Minny want to keep all their youth though? They are an old team with not a lot of good youth.

Plus at Greenway's age, Kapanen was just breaking out, and Greenway's NHL numbers were better than Kapanen's up until that point.

KK (10 points in 55 games), JG (25 points in 87 games).

Reactions: Menzinger

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Wouldn't Minny want to keep all their youth though? They are an old team with not a lot of good youth.

Plus at Greenway's age, Kapanen was just breaking out, and Greenway's NHL numbers were better than Kapanen's up until that point.

KK (10 points in 55 games), JG (25 points in 87 games).

I think you have their ages confused somehow.

Kapanen Jul 23, 1996
Greenway Feb 16, 1997

There is six months, 25 days between them.

For Kapanen to be equal to Greenway, takes us to the end of March 26, 2019

At that point, Kapanen had 53 points in 118 games.

Swapping out someone, for someone who is less than seven months older, isn't ridding your team of youth. It just gives you different skill sets.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

Thoughts?

Cap reasoning aside, can't Mikheyev do all that we would want from Greenway?

Korshkov isn't far off either.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I think you have their ages confused somehow.

Kapanen Jul 23, 1996
Greenway Feb 16, 1997

There is six months, 25 days between them.

For Kapanen to be equal to Greenway, takes us to the end of March 26, 2019

At that point, Kapanen had 53 points in 118 games.

Swapping out someone, for someone who is less than seven months older, isn't ridding your team of youth. It just gives you different skill sets.
What the Wild need is more youth, not different youth.

One is a 96 draft, one is a 97 draft. I'm not confused one bit.

Total of their D+1 thru D+4 seasons.

Kapanen D+1 thru 4 (10 points in 55 games)
Greenway D+1 thru 4 (25 points in 87 games)

In Kapanen's D+5 season, he played beside Auston Matthews in the top 6 and got 44 points.
This is currently Greenway's D+5 season.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

In Kapanen's D+5 season, he played beside Auston Matthews in the top 6 and got 44 points.

What they need is more skill. I'd rank Age as more important than Draft year... As your original statement had suggested, at the same age.... Kapanen had far outperformed him.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

Thoughts?

I wouldn't necessarily be against changing the composition of the forward group. My greater preference though would be to address what might be, in my opinion, a bigger need on the blueline. That would ideally cover both looking forward, in considering the pending UFAs, and for now. Cap situation permitting, of course.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I wouldn't necessarily be against changing the composition of the forward group. My greater preference though would be to address what might be, in my opinion, a bigger need on the blueline. That would ideally cover both looking forward, in considering the pending UFAs, and for now. Cap situation permitting, of course.

The challenge being... who has a need for Kapanen (as an example) who has a young RHD, or prospect RHD that they are willing to give up? We have a few issues with the composition of the team, including perhaps not being heavy enough as a group. We do have multiple RHD prospects though, Liljegren, Duszak, Hollowell, Lindgren.... more than we can even play on the Marlies right now... I just don't we'd get back a RD prospect, that's any better than what we already have.

Reactions: Buds17

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
The challenge being... who has a need for Kapanen (as an example) who has a young RHD, or prospect RHD that they are willing to give up? We have a few issues with the composition of the team, including perhaps not being heavy enough as a group. We do have multiple RHD prospects though, Liljegren, Duszak, Hollowell, Lindgren.... more than we can even play on the Marlies right now... I just don't we'd get back a RD prospect, that's any better than what we already have.

You make good points here, particularly about a trade fit for a RHD being a challenge. I just think I see potential, internal solutions to fill some forward gaps a bit easier than I do for the blueline right now.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I honestly do not believe Matthews goes anywhere. Only way he does is in a deal to Edmonton for McDavid. I have stated this numerous times. If Edmonton fails in the next couple of seasons McDavid will want out. Only problem is that McDavid and Marner despise one another. This goes all the way to the family roots.

If McDavid becomes available there will be a major shakeup in Leaf land. Both Marner and Matthews can be traded to acquire McDavid and Draisaitl ???

That would be a blockbuster.

Micheyev-McDavid-Draisaitl
Hyman-Tavares-Nylander
Johnsson-Kerfoot-Kapanen
Timashov-Gauthier-Moore
Sorry, I think I missed the McDavid Vs Marner thing. When and what is that?

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough

You seem confused to be honest.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Sorry, I think I missed the McDavid Vs Marner thing. When and what is that?
I think it's a tad overblown but they were two of the bigger names in the GTA minor hockey scene (GTHL/OMHA) and we know Marner's Father is a bit of a lunatic.. I'll leave it at that.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
You seem confused to be honest.

It's all true. Look it up. Nothing confused here.

The most confusing thing is why Minnesota would trade away a cheaper, younger player for one who is older, more expensive, and arguably with minimal to no greater upside.

Those are the people who are confused.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
It's all true. Look it up. Nothing confused here.

The most confusing thing is why Minnesota would trade away a cheaper, younger player for one who is older, more expensive, and arguably with minimal to no greater upside.

Those are the people who are confused.

This is the part where you're getting lost.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Not gonna speculate on any big trades or anything.

Looking at just depth pieces for a potentially deep playoff run. I was looking for a bottom pairing RD with some size/grit for depth purposes (Holl has been fine but you can always look for slightly better players).

Greg Pateryn from Minnesota came to mind. Physical and solid bottom pairing Dman

Marincin + Low pick for Pateryn?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Thoughts?

I dont think the Wild have much interest in moving their younger players.

Brodin could be a potential target though

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

All I see with those prospect RD is Liljegren and a bunch of question marks that are years away if they ever make it

RD will be a hole next season, even if you pencil in Liljegren and start swapping guys like Rielly, Dermott or Sandin over to the right it's going to be a serious issue

We've got a ton of forwards so one of them needs to go for defensive help because bringing in a forward for a forward and putting somebody like Moore on the 4th line again makes little sense roster composition wise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad