Trades and Free Agent Talk - A New Season A New Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
I do like the idea of moving Kapanen for a right shot D. We can wait until next off season for such a move i think. We will need Kappy off the books anyways to re sign Mikheyev.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Nylander, Kerfoot, Timmy L, Bracco and a first to NJ for Taylor Hall

Do you ever have anything of value to add or is the sole purpose for posting to troll?

Every one of your posts is either negative in message or proposing something detrimental to the Leafs.

Either way, whatever your motivation or agenda is for posting, it’s quite pathetic.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Just trade Ceci, AJ, Bracco, Lil and another 1st for Drew plus 50%retention.
Draft Scmaft

upload_2019-10-21_7-51-18.jpeg

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Why would LA do that? For them to give up a legit #1 defenseman AND eat 5.5 in cap space for 8 years would take a hell of a huge offer.
Thats why it would need to be a huge overpayment. The reason they do it is to rebuild.

You could probably get a 1st+ for Muzzin or a 2nd and a good prospect, Maybe a couple picks for Ceci, add a 2021 1st and a prospect or the from the Marlies (not Sandin or Liljegren).

If you overload the trade this way I think the rebuilding team makes out better as an organization, and we wouldn't be giving up as much from out current system to screw our chances of winning long term.

For example Colorado's return for Duchene in a 3 way deal ended up being:

Bowen Byram
Samuel Girard
Vladislav Kamenev
Shane Bowers
Justus Annunen
Danilla Zhuravlyov
Matthew Stienburg
Andrew Hammond (left as FA)

So 4 legit prospects, 3 other prospects and goalie that was a decent 3rd option for a 1B/2nd line center. 2 of the best 4 pieces came from Nashville in this trade.

Now the Sens return for a franchise d-man in Karlsson:

Chris Tierney
Dylan Demelo
Mads Soogard (traded a 3rd to move up 7 spots in the 2nd)
Rudolfs Balcers
Josh Norris
2020 1st round Pick
2021 2nd Round Pick (for re-signing)

-Ottawa got two servicable NHL players in the deal, but overall I don't see much of a difference there.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Just trade Ceci, AJ, Bracco, Lil and another 1st for Drew plus 50%retention.
The way I mentioned above probably lets you keep thw players on your NHL roster and not give up Liljegren. Give up pending UFA assets and flip the return.

Go into next year with a base blueline of:

Rielly-Doughty
Dermott-
Sandin-Lijegren

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Thats why it would need to be a huge overpayment. The reason they do it is to rebuild.

You could probably get a 1st+ for Muzzin or a 2nd and a good prospect, Maybe a couple picks for Ceci, add a 2021 1st and a prospect or the from the Marlies (not Sandin or Liljegren).

If you overload the trade this way I think the rebuilding team makes out better as an organization, and we wouldn't be giving up as much from out current system to screw our chances of winning long term.

For example Colorado's return for Duchene in a 3 way deal ended up being:

Bowen Byram
Samuel Girard
Vladislav Kamenev
Shane Bowers
Justus Annunen
Danilla Zhuravlyov
Matthew Stienburg
Andrew Hammond (left as FA)

So 4 legit prospects, 3 other prospects and goalie that was a decent 3rd option for a 1B/2nd line center. 2 of the best 4 pieces came from Nashville in this trade.

Now the Sens return for a franchise d-man in Karlsson:

Chris Tierney
Dylan Demelo
Mads Soogard (traded a 3rd to move up 7 spots in the 2nd)
Rudolfs Balcers
Josh Norris
2020 1st round Pick
2021 2nd Round Pick (for re-signing)

-Ottawa got two servicable NHL players in the deal, but overall I don't see much of a difference there.

Nashville gave up a good return in the trade because Turris immediately re-signed with them on a long term deal. Muzzin would have to do the same in order to increase his trade value beyond what it'd be as a pending UFA. Duchene also had more time left on his contract when traded to Ottawa (a full season+) in comparison to when Karlsson was traded to SJ (just the one full season).

LA trading Doughty with that much term left on his contract somewhat reminds me of the Leafs trading Kessel to Pittsburgh. Looking to LA to retain that much per season over that long of a term though figures to considerably change the expected trade return. I guess it'd be a question of just how much that would be?

Last edited:

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I do like the idea of moving Kapanen for a right shot D. We can wait until next off season for such a move i think. We will need Kappy off the books anyways to re sign Mikheyev.
There must be a dman in a similar age bracket and progression as Kapanen.

Thinking a youngish , dman that is shuffled behind this year because of depth.

Think Carolina is an enticing option with their bloated blue line.

Maybe Bean or Fleury... lefties, but decent options.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Drew Doughty at 50% retained is worth a king's ransom.

It's L.A. (or N.Y.). Gary Bettman will evaporate L.A.'s cap retention in the next CBA. It's what this league does.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Could the Coyotes have anything of interest for us for one of Kapanen/Johnsson? The 'yotes desperately need goalscoring and Kap/Johnsson have already been paid their big bonuses, and then have two years of real salary lower than their cap hit after this season. Both of these guys have the speed to play with Phil 5v5 and AJ could help their powerplay while Kapanen would look good on their PK. They could also really help Arizona's 3v3 in OT, even if that only plays a nominal role in trade value. Both guys are the right age for that core as well and both are established 20 goal scorers.

Arizona only has their 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 5th round picks in 2020, but they might be willing to part ways with 2021 picks if they expect to be a middle of the pack or lower seeded playoff team by then. We wouldn't get anything close to a blue chip prospect in return, but the idea of shedding salary for some Marlies fodder and a throw-in draft pick is enticing for this lineup.

A guy like Lawson Crouse is also intriguing since he brings the size we want with a good cap hit and contract, but his production numbers are significantly lower than both KK/AJ and the Yotes might see some untapped potential and be hesitant to trade him since he was drafted by the club just a few years ago. We'd also be trading 2nd/3rd line players for a 4th liner just to shed some short term salary cap space.

What do you guys think?

Edit: my mistake - Crouse was drafted by Florida but never played a game for them. He was traded along with Dave Bolland for a 2nd and 3rd round pick.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Could the Coyotes have anything of interest for us for one of Kapanen/Johnsson? The 'yotes desperately need goalscoring and Kap/Johnsson have already been paid their big bonuses, and then have two years of real salary lower than their cap hit after this season. Both of these guys have the speed to play with Phil 5v5 and AJ could help their powerplay while Kapanen would look good on their PK. They could also really help Arizona's 3v3 in OT, even if that only plays a nominal role in trade value. Both guys are the right age for that core as well and both are established 20 goal scorers.

Arizona only has their 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 5th round picks in 2020, but they might be willing to part ways with 2021 picks if they expect to be a middle of the pack or lower seeded playoff team by then. We wouldn't get anything close to a blue chip prospect in return, but the idea of shedding salary for some Marlies fodder and a throw-in draft pick is enticing for this lineup.

A guy like Lawson Crouse is also intriguing since he brings the size we want with a good cap hit and contract, but his production numbers are significantly lower than both KK/AJ and the Yotes might see some untapped potential and be hesitant to trade him since he was drafted by the club just a few years ago. We'd also be trading 2nd/3rd line players for a 4th liner just to shed some short term salary cap space.

What do you guys think?

Edit: my mistake - Crouse was drafted by Florida but never played a game for them. He was traded along with Dave Bolland for a 2nd and 3rd round pick.

It's an interesting thought. Cutting about 2M of cap space but also downgrading one of the forwards considerably. I'd give up Johnsson over Kapanen in this case though. Basically banking on the idea of Moore and/or Mikheyev improving and able to replace Johnssons offensive place on the team, while Crouse gives us a capable middle line winger that is affordable but that would have a role next to Kerfoot very likely.

With that said, not sure the Coyotes need a Johnsson or Kapanen. They need a star, someone that can really move the needle. Not sure if it makes much sense for them to just go for mild upgrades... but it might be a start?

Reactions: Primary Assist

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
There must be a dman in a similar age bracket and progression as Kapanen.

Thinking a youngish , dman that is shuffled behind this year because of depth.

Think Carolina is an enticing option with their bloated blue line.

Maybe Bean or Fleury... lefties, but decent options.

rasmus Anderson fits that bill.
But I think it will be more like savard or Brodin retained.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
rasmus Anderson fits that bill.
But I think it will be more like savard or Brodin retained.

Rasmus Andersson would be great but with the Flames in a bit of a cap crunch themselves, seems very unlikely they trade him. They will likely lose Brodie and/or Hamonic this upcoming off-season. They seem a lot more set upfront.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Hall is in his mid to late 20's and has had injury issues, Marner is still coming into his prime, enjoyed good health and is probably a PPG player for the forseeable future

I think that is less wash more downgrade

Only way it somehow works is if that 1D mentioned is some young stud like Heiskanen, and even then I would be hugely worried that it turns out bad long term.

There are very few players in the NHL you guys should deal Marner for, despite his high cap hit.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Only way it somehow works is if that 1D mentioned is some young stud like Heiskanen, and even then I would be hugely worried that it turns out bad long term.

There are very few players in the NHL you guys should deal Marner for, despite his high cap hit.
Agreed.

Besides, people worry too much about these contracts. Even a contract like Marner's has a big chance of being worth it based on cap efficiency models. And even if you ignore that, we're talking about an overpayment of about $1.5M. Boston is one of the top cup contenders, and they carry around a $4M overpayment in Backes, who spends time as a healthy scratch.

Reactions: Menzinger

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Agreed.

Besides, people worry too much about these contracts. Even a contract like Marner's has a big chance of being worth it based on cap efficiency models. And even if you ignore that, we're talking about an overpayment of about $1.5M. Boston is one of the top cup contenders, and they carry around a $4M overpayment in Backes, who spends time as a healthy scratch.

Agreed. Toronto is my 2nd team this year, and I'd much rather have their contracts and players than what my team has...just look at this shit :help::

upload_2019-10-21_10-15-31.png

kb

Aug 28, 2009
It's an interesting thought. Cutting about 2M of cap space but also downgrading one of the forwards considerably. I'd give up Johnsson over Kapanen in this case though. Basically banking on the idea of Moore and/or Mikheyev improving and able to replace Johnssons offensive place on the team, while Crouse gives us a capable middle line winger that is affordable but that would have a role next to Kerfoot very likely.

With that said, not sure the Coyotes need a Johnsson or Kapanen. They need a star, someone that can really move the needle. Not sure if it makes much sense for them to just go for mild upgrades... but it might be a start?
I'd try Johnsson for Crouse and Eric Comrie. The easiest way to move the needle is to obtain value by upgrading, then they could afford to use other assets in a big move while having Johnsson there to complement that big move.

Reactions: Primary Assist

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Because some say Matthews eventually wants to go to the States, I wonder if a Matthews + ?? for Seguin and Heiskanen would make the Leafs better or would be regretted.

Reactions: Treebeard

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Because some say Matthews eventually wants to go to the States, I wonder if a Matthews + ?? for Seguin and Heiskanen would make the Leafs better or would be regretted.

That would be incredible for Toronto in my opinion.

Reactions: ToneDog

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I honestly do not believe Matthews goes anywhere. Only way he does is in a deal to Edmonton for McDavid. I have stated this numerous times. If Edmonton fails in the next couple of seasons McDavid will want out. Only problem is that McDavid and Marner despise one another. This goes all the way to the family roots.

If McDavid becomes available there will be a major shakeup in Leaf land. Both Marner and Matthews can be traded to acquire McDavid and Draisaitl ???

That would be a blockbuster.

Micheyev-McDavid-Draisaitl
Hyman-Tavares-Nylander
Johnsson-Kerfoot-Kapanen
Timashov-Gauthier-Moore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad