Traders Beware...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Gentlemen (and I do use that term loosely).

Trading for a player who has already rejected several contract offers with the intent of testing the UFA waters is a highly risky move. In some instances, where the new offer from the team is basically the same offer as what has already been made, negotiations will be broken off immediately.

For those who think they are circumventing the offer limit by trading a players rights after running out of offers, with hopes the negotiations can start a-fresh with the new GM, well, I'm afraid that's just not the way it works.

And for those who think they are getting a high compensation pick by acquiring the player, perhaps you should check the compensation given out in the 2004 draft. It is hardly awe inspiring, especially if you plan on signing any free agents yourselves.

Govern your trades accordingly.

Reggie Swingstein
HFNHL Player Agent

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
I figure this was triggered by my short term acquisition of Zhitnik before the free agency period. I guess at least there is a precedent set now for this type of thing. Live and learn I guess.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Hossa said:
I figure this was triggered by my short term acquisition of Zhitnik before the free agency period. I guess at least there is a precedent set now for this type of thing. Live and learn I guess.

You are hardly alone Mr. Keogh. However, that is not to say it's impossible. If the previous team has a vastly different belief of the market value of the player and refused to provide a reasonable offer, whereas the new GM who steps forward is willing to make a substantial market value offer that makes sense for the player, signing is possible.

Just ask to see correspondance on contract negotiations beforehand, or at least make the offer conditional.

Last edited:

BlueAndWhite

Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Hossa said:
Actually, it's probably aimed at me. Since I am the one who had Zhitnik earlier. I am also the one who put Naslund on the block. A couple of things..

1.) I never made a single offer to Zhitnik. I had no plans to keep him, so it wasn't a last ditch effort to get some value out of him, after negotiations broke down.

2.)I made it clear to who ever inquired about Naslund, that I tried to sign him and he wouldn't accept X dollars. As well, I specifically wrote something to the effect "it will take at least 9.5 million for Naslund to even be interested" in the post where I put him up for trade.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
BlueAndWhite said:
Actually, it's probably aimed at me. Since I am the one who had Zhitnik earlier. I am also the one who put Naslund on the block. A couple of things..

1.) I never made a single offer to Zhitnik. I had no plans to keep him, so it wasn't a last ditch effort to get some value out of him, after negotiations broke down.

2.)I made it clear to who ever inquired about Naslund, that I tried to sign him and he wouldn't accept X dollars. As well, I specifically wrote something to the effect "it will take at least 9.5 million for Naslund to even be interested" in the post where I put him up for trade.

It wasn't aimed at you specifically, certainly not to do with Zhitnik. The main word of caution I would raise, is that I wouldn't put any market value on what you think it will take for a player to sign, other than what he might have already rejected. There is a randomizer for a player with any team, and that can move the bar either way. Indicating what a player will or will not sign for, is not the place of the trading GM - it's the place of his agent. Proviiding what the best offer has been thus far (and the response) is about as much insight as you can provide without being misleading.

And the main word of caution was to GMs to make sure the trade is for the most part, conditional on signing the player. Having a player's rights for a few days, doesn't do you much good unless you don't plan on making any free agent offers, and even then the compensatory pick isn't that great, except for the very best of UFA's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad