traded before his first game?

jrk

Jun 27, 2011
I just want to know when is the last time the Canadiens traded a player just after signing him?

Alot of people want to trade Desharnais before he has even played a game with his new contract. It seems a bit unusual to trade a newly signed player.

If someone remember a team that did this, I would like to know.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
I just want to know when is the last time the Canadiens traded a player just after signing him?

Alot of people want to trade Desharnais before he has even played a game with his new contract. It seems a bit unusual to trade a newly signed player.

well he did got worst after his new contract... soooo....

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Grabovski got bought out less than 12 months after signing a 5 year, $5.5 mil/year contract, so more extreme has happened.

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
Didn't that happen with Hossa back when he was playing with the Sens?

It's rare but it happens. Especially with RFAs.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

It's rare because most of the time you don't sign a player to a big extension and then think it's a mistake less than a year later but the two most recent examples are Seguin and Carter.

I also seem to remember Audette signing as a UFA in Dallas and 15-20 games into the season he was traded to Montreal.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Ottawa did it to Marian Hossa. Signed him one day traded him to Atlanta for Heatley the next. I think maybe 24 hours had passed after Hossa signed his new contract. It was a weird thing for Ottawa to do.

However, that was truly exceptional. Most teams don't do that, although a lot of teams have traded a player after a year has passed on a long term contract (see Philly).

Sens were idiotic to trade Hossa, who is a much better player than Heatley. All Hossa does is get to Stanley Cup finals. He's won 2 Cups now. I'm sure Alfredsson looks at Hossa and wonders what might have been for himself.

HockeyF3ind

Jun 19, 2007
New York

Seguin just got traded after re-signing a big deal and which doesn't kick in till next season.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc

I can't answer that question, but I do remember the Habs trading Greg Hubick for a small center named Doug Jarvis. Let's hope this turns out as good, I see Christian Thomas being a very useful NHLer in the near future for the Habs Stanley Cup runs.:handclap:

jrk

Jun 27, 2011
Thank you for all your answers. I see that it has happened.
It just does not seem right to trade Desharnais after the bad season he just had. We won't have a good return for him and I am pretty that he will have a comeback year.

I do agree thought that his size with the player we have is an issue. I just hope that Gionta is traded and that we can get Jagr to fill the spot for 1 year. I still think this year is not the year we win the cup, but I can see where MB wants to go and I am pretty sure that Desharnais have another year to prove he is useful to the team.

Desharnais could get the same treatment Grabovski received after one year if Louis Leblanc or another guy can replace him in one year from now. Grabovski had one year with his big contract and fell to keep the pace.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Thank you for all your answers. I see that it has happened.
It just does not seem right to trade Desharnais after the bad season he just had. We won't have a good return for him and I am pretty that he will have a comeback year.

I do agree thought that his size with the player we have is an issue. I just hope that Gionta is traded and that we can get Jagr to fill the spot for 1 year. I still think this year is not the year we win the cup, but I can see where MB wants to go and I am pretty sure that Desharnais have another year to prove he is useful to the team.

Desharnais could get the same treatment Grabovski received after one year if Louis Leblanc or another guy can replace him in one year from now. Grabovski had one year with his big contract and fell to keep the pace.

DD is not getting bought out, forget that idea right now. DD is like Briere, and Bouillon, and perhaps Jagr. They are stopgap measures that keep reasonable competitiveness and depth together until reinforcements come from the farm system.

DD will be around for a while.

Sign and trade is one of the oldest tricks in the book...

Wrong sport, this isn't basketball.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005

The fact that MB just signed him to a new contract suggests that he won't be traded soon. Those who reflexively shout "Off with his head!" belong in Alice in Wonderland.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Marian Hossa is the best example. Signs a new deal with the Sens and then they ship him for Heatley.

Ottawa did it to Marian Hossa. Signed him one day traded him to Atlanta for Heatley the next. I think maybe 24 hours had passed after Hossa signed his new contract. It was a weird thing for Ottawa to do.

However, that was truly exceptional. Most teams don't do that, although a lot of teams have traded a player after a year has passed on a long term contract (see Philly).

Sens were idiotic to trade Hossa, who is a much better player than Heatley. All Hossa does is get to Stanley Cup finals. He's won 2 Cups now. I'm sure Alfredsson looks at Hossa and wonders what might have been for himself.
Ah, you beat me to it.

Hossa was always better than Alfie was. Even when he didn't score he was at least out there making things happen against Toronto in all those losses. Alfie would disappear. They let the wrong guy go just like what happened with Chara.

Habsurdities

Jul 16, 2012
Montreal
Trading DD will take courage from MB, because it also means that he is correcting his mistake...which in return means that he acknowledges having made one. This is pretty hard in an organization that has seen it's GM's being very narcissistic over time...but MB is supposed to represent change, so let's see...

jrk

Jun 27, 2011
Trading DD will take courage from MB, because it also means that he is correcting his mistake...which in return means that he acknowledges having made one. This is pretty hard in an organization that has seen it's GM's being very narcissistic over time...but MB is supposed to represent change, so let's see...

I am still not convince it is a mistake. To me, DD could turn out te be a great player in the years to come if use with the right players.

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec
The only place were Desharnais is going to be traded this summer is on HFboards.

Sorry to break it out to you guys..

Habsrback said:

If Bergevin signed Desharnais to this contract it probably means he wants him on his team. Regardless of him having a sub-par half of a half season.

Again, sorry to break it out to you guys.

He'll acknowledge his mistake (or not) when it will be clear that he's actually made one. Its not a fact that he's made a mistake.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Sign and trade is one of the oldest tricks in the book...

Doesn't happen that often as it use to. I think the last one was Hossa in the Heatley trade. Not sure if Setoguchi was a sign and trade as well. And today these guys are all trying to get NTC, makes it even harder for the GM

Hockey mind 61

Jul 8, 2013
Montreal
Desharnais will be in the line-up in September and he will have a great season ...
In Montréal, the fans always press the panic button ! Relax ...
He`s one of the best playmaker in the league, he`s a local player give him a break you will see how he will bounce back next season!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->