Proposal: Trade up

Kadri43*

Oct 1, 2010
noneofyourbusiness
the only thing crazy is you being upset with a top 10 pick for JVR.

now please stop, I don't see a point in replying to you any longer lol.

To be clear, you said JVR+Pitts 1st.

I provided the data set from 2008-2012 for two primary considerations. First, teams did not value drafting the same way (case in point, Toronto) as they do now and the pathetic drafting record in the late 1990's and early-mid 2000's in the 6-10 range clearly shows this (notwithstanding 2003 and 2007). 2) anything past 2012 is likely not fair because the players are generally pure potential (I recognize how Ristolainen and Monahan are already very good players).

Again to reiterate. you think it is good asset management to trade JVR+Pitts 1st for a player in the 6-10 range. However, the data set, and larger data sets if you want to provide one, suggests that around 10-15% (I will be generous and increase it to 15%) of the players will be definitely better than JVR.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
We didnt trade up to get Schenn. We also didnt trade down to get Kadri.

We traded up from 7th to 5th to get Schenn.

We didn't trade up from 7th and got Kadri, when Burke was seemingly doing anything to deal up to get Brayden Schenn. That was apart of my post. Trading Down/Standing Pat has been more successful in most cases.

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
I'd love to trade up from the Pitts first. I want Dante fabbro or Charles mcavoy. They're talented RHD. Them or paying more to get sergachev, chychrun or juolevi. I like Nielsen but our defensive prospects need a boost.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
We traded up from 7th to 5th to get Schenn.

We didn't trade up from 7th and got Kadri, when Burke was seemingly doing anything to deal up to get Brayden Schenn. That was apart of my post. Trading Down/Standing Pat has been more successful in most cases.

Someone already corrected me, thanks.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Trading JVR at the draft is one thing - but the team certainly isn't going to use one of their biggest trade chips just to move up 10-12 spots in a draft.

sda

Feb 18, 2008
I would consider trading up if it made sense. Last year I wouldn't have because the gap wasn't huge and it was a crap shoot more or less. Plus the draft was deep so getting as many picks as possible was a good move. This year is not as deep, so moving up may be a better option. I get you want as many prospects as possible, but you don't want to fill up your pool with quantity over quality either.

The players in the PIT pick range are not fantastic. A lot of them feel like 2nd round talents (or later) to me. A few spots higher, and it gets a lot better. So if the price is right, I'd definitely consider moving up those few spots.

OR

I'd move down, get some more picks, and take these guys in the second round. That is unless someone drops, which is a legitimate possibility too I guess.

Pretty much to sum it up, for this draft, I would not stay put at the Pittsburgh pick unless a really good talent drops to us. Otherwise, trading up or trading down makes a ton of sense to me if it's done right.

Absolutely. If Hunter has a player he wants that will fit our needs trade up . Leafs need top skill players with size and if we can trade quantity for quality absolutely go for it

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Love Mcleod, but I'm certain a pick in the 20s plus a second doesn't get us in the top ten.

Could take more but Leafs 2nd rounder is currently #32 (2nd pick in round #2) which is almost another 1st. ;)

If Pens don't make the final 4 then their pick will be 20-24 range.

I think McLeod will go top 10 but he was injured and could slip perhaps a little.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
as long as we pick at least 6 players in the top 90, I'll be happy, with that many bullets at least 3 will make it someday.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

wow you keep ignoring that the pitt 1rst was also in that trADE

JVR and Pitt 1rst for a 6-10 in this draft is beyond utterly moronic

it's burke/nonis like, that how stupid that premise is.

Kadri43*

Oct 1, 2010
noneofyourbusiness
wow you keep ignoring that the pitt 1rst was also in that trADE

JVR and Pitt 1rst for a 6-10 in this draft is beyond utterly moronic

it's burke/nonis like, that how stupid that premise is.

To be fair, I think Celly Hard might have been trolling me a little bit. Adding JVR to Pitts 1st in order to move up 10-15 spots is outrageous. He is probably laughing at how seriously I took him and how I wasted about 10 minutes making a list of 6-10 spots in previous drafts.

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
Trading up for the most part just isn't a great idea. Unless you target a guy as a can't miss and he starts to fall into a range where its not going to cost you too much. Adding JVR or Kadri is asinine. If a guy like Mcleod starts to fall into the 12 - 15 range than I'd consider adding to Pitt's first to take him.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I want max jones ReALLY BAD HE IS GOING TO BE A ABSOLUTE STUD sorry about the caps lol I would trade up if the price was reasonable for jones fabro

Max Jones is currently serving a 12 game suspension for a blindside hit to the head that happened a few games ago.

Kb21

Dec 27, 2011
Toronto
I'd just trust our scouts, if they say we should trade up to get someone I'd do it, if not I'd do that then.

cwulf

Dec 7, 2015
How about trading up by virtue of taking a contract?

Leafs should totally take that Phaneuf contract off the sens hands!

Or how about Pronger, is Arizona responsible for the bill?

StatsNightHeroes

Jan 15, 2016

I'd do JVR for 6-9. But trading the Pit pick+ JVR for 6-10 is nuts. I'd rather keep the Pit pick and trade JVR on his own to a team with a surplus of good young D.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I just hope they dont trade right out of the 1st round again

I wouldn't think so they have 12 picks so I don't see a lot of point to moving back
Our own second is reasonably close to the Pitt pick as well so that may stop them moving back anyway
Not a lot of point to move back under those circomstances

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
Pens pick + 2nd round pick --- > move into top 10 to draft Mike McLeod of Mississauga.

The big centre that can skate like the wind is exactly what we need.

Leaf fans would love this guy.
Smart. Big. Fast.
Fun to watch.

carko32

May 14, 2014
Slovenia
Pens pick + 2nd round pick --- > move into top 10 to draft Mike McLeod of Mississauga.

The big centre that can skate like the wind is exactly what we need.

I think that McLeod will be available after top10, probably around 12OA. And I think that Logan Brown might be even better than McLeod when it is all done and he should be available also around 12OA. Even bigger, also good skater(not as elite as McLeod, but moves really fast for 6'6''). He would be my target if we are looking for C at around 12OA. But I think a lot will depend on lottery, especially since there are some teams that could draft a C, that are around 10-15OA at the moment.

What I wanted to say was that if you target moving into top10, our goal should be 8OA or 9OA, where you have a chance at really good prospect, meaning there should be a choice between D and C, probably one of Juolevi and Sergachyov is still available, while also Keller, McLeod, Brown etc. are also available. All will probably depend on our first pick.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
I can see Hunter trading The #1 pick if it's Matthews and get a boat load of players/prospects/draft choices and Their #1 (9) from Arizona and pick Mike Mcleod with that #9 oa pick.

People will say, giving up Matthews would be crazy, and he may turn out to be as good as McDavid and I may be wrong but I can't shake the feeling, he won't ever come up to that level and I hope I'm wrong, especially if we do in fact get him #1.

As to the thread "Trade up" I think Hunter will do as he did last year likely make our first pick then try to "Trade back" the Pitts choice, picking up additional picks in the process.

I certainly hope not! It's not like we haven't been looking for a #1C for what...10 years now? McLeod's numbers don't exactly scream top line C at the NHL level. Personally I would trade whatever it takes to move up to #1 in this draft even if it's a ridiculous overpayment. If the Leafs actually win the lottery, not a chance in hell do I move that pick. Personally I don't see Matthews anywhere near McDavid, but he's still elite and he's a guy they can build around for years.

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
Hardly.

Any time we have traded up, it's burned us (Schenn, Biggs) and any time we have havent, or traded down, it's been pretty good (Kadri, Dermott/Bracco/Dzierkals).

Other than the top 5, the draft is largely a crapshoot.

Giving up assets for a slight odds improvement is rubbish.

... Could've traded up to get Dermott and just draft Koenecy. I think his size goves him an advantage in the NHL bracco, latvian sucks from what I here.

We should draft a some sure things and some boom or busts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad