Proposal: Trade Thread Part 68

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

His value definitely took a major hit. I would love him here.

X-Eichel-Anderson
Toffoli-Suzuki-Caufield

Going forward looks very good. I've got no clue how much he would cost, maybe something like Kotkaniemi+Guhle+1st+Drouin? It doesn't seem like much for a player of Eichel's calibre (in fact, it likely isn't), but I don't think he will net a giant return like he would have last year.

That being said, I think other teams could also offer some offers of that value.

The only concern I have is Eichel wants to get some pretty invasive neck surgery done and there’s considerable risk as this would be a first of this type done on an athlete I believe.

Whether this impacts the asking price remains to be seen.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I would not touch Eichel with a ten-foot pole. I'd rather have a young centerman like Barzal or Point or Aho.

Lol "rather have a young C instead"
Eichels 24, barzals 24, Point is 25 and Aho is 23 ...lol
Have you even SEEN Jack Eichel play? Hes amazing.

But its moot, if we sign danault we simply dont have cap space + itll cost KK and CC and prospect. Or WORSE suzuki.

But damn, would loooove Eichel still
The "injury" is overblown, eichel is just SICK of buffalo, its the worst kept secret in the NHL

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Whether this impacts the asking price remains to be seen.
I strongly believe that it impacts the asking price. He probably would have cost Suzuki+Romanov+CC+1st last year. Now, I don't see any team giving up an asset that's worth Suzuki alone.

Jul 6, 2016

But its moot, if we sign danault we simply dont have cap space + itll cost KK and CC and prospect. Or WORSE suzuki.

The "injury" is overblown, eichel is just SICK of buffalo, its the worst kept secret in the NHL

I know very well that they are about the same age. I just prefer the play and personality of the three others.

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
Even with the surgery debate and the uncertainty around this situation I would still go after Eichel. He’s an elite player and there isn’t a lot of centers that are better than him in this league.

Dynamic offensively.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Even with the surgery debate and the uncertainty around this situation I would still go after Eichel. He’s an elite player and there isn’t a lot of centers that are better than him in this league.

Dynamic offensively.
The issue will be getting Eichel to fit under the cap and then the price he'd cost. I don't think we are well-positioned to make a run at him without killing our depth/prospect pool. I think the Rangers are a better fit for both Eichel and Buffalo.

Reactions: Miller Time

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
The issue will be getting Eichel to fit under the cap and then the price he'd cost. I don't think we are well-positioned to make a run at him without killing our depth/prospect pool. I think the Rangers are a better fit for both Eichel and Buffalo.

Rangers...
Kings...
Blackhawks...
Jackets...
Red Wings...

there are quite a few teams with need/assets/cap flexibility to make a deal work that would be tough for us to match. Question of which ownerships have the appetite to do so, but I'd bet at least 2 or 3 of those do.

jellybeans

Nov 9, 2007
Hopefully Bruins get eliminated and Hall feels okay to come to Canada, feel like his speed/creativity would be very good fit to KK/Anderson or Suzuki/Caufield. Don't see Habs being able to keep Armia/Tatar, rather have Evans than Staal. Perry/Danault hopefully re-sign at good contracts. Drouin on LTIR:
Hall - Suzuki - Caufield
Toffoli - Kotkaniemi - Anderson
Lehkonen - Danault - Gallagher
Byron/Poehling - Evans/Poehling - Perry

If Seattle doesn't take Chiarot, they should definitely go after a offensive top 4 RD via trade/UFA. Too bad Hamilton too expensive and Barrie too small/likely looking for big contract. Let Romanov/Weber be a pairing all season:
Edmundson - Petry
Chiarot - RD
Romanov - Weber

Next season, Kotkaniemi/Suzuki/Caufield/Romanov need to be given every chance to take their game to next level.

Lol Hall nope.

Reactions: No More Subban

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

Saad is the perfect Bergevin player. He was in Chicago when Bergevin was there and plays a 2 way style he likes. Would fit with Danault and Gallagher. It wouldn't surprise me if Bergevin went for him

could see that fit as well... though i'd hope it would be at 3.5-3.75M/per max... Wouldn't be surprised for him to find a bigger pay day elsewhere and definitely wouldn't want us paying a premium when any of Armia/Lekohnen/Poehling could fill those bottom-6 LW just as well, keeping cap dollars free for the bigger needs at LD, C and top-6 LW

Reactions: donghabs98

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
could see that fit as well... though i'd hope it would be at 3.5-3.75M/per max... Wouldn't be surprised for him to find a bigger pay day elsewhere and definitely wouldn't want us paying a premium when any of Armia/Lekohnen/Poehling could fill those bottom-6 LW just as well, keeping cap dollars free for the bigger needs at LD, C and top-6 LW
I agree, at that price he wouldn't take away too much cap space. Considering the flat cap, I'm hoping the market isn't too competitive which will let us sign him for that. However, I can see a team with a lot of cap giving him a big offer since he is the type of guy that would be good to have for a young team.

Reactions: Miller Time

Destopcorner

Apr 29, 2018
We might consider Girard for that LH PMD need. Those awful playoffs must have change the pricetag if he is ever available.

Also a fan of the Blais-Drouin swap... Blais would fit in like a glove next to Suzy and CC

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Do you think he would go after DeAngelo too
I think the media and fan reaction to the news Bergevin tried to get him was enough attention that Molson wouldn't put up with him signing here. That said, Bergevin has a record for looking into d man with questionable backgrounds like Voynov so who knows.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital

It's all good not signing Staal Perry Armia Danault Tatar , Trade Drouin and let like Chariot or Allen go , but the question is , who do we have to get Jack Eichel?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I strongly believe that it impacts the asking price. He probably would have cost Suzuki+Romanov+CC+1st last year. Now, I don't see any team giving up an asset that's worth Suzuki alone.

Nah, no chance. His value is still sky high.

I think the proper way of saying this is "a year ago 20 teams would have given up the equivalent of the package you listed. Now it's down to 10".

Maybe some teams will be a bit more hesitant to pay high - but there are still some who will absolutely pay a very high price. Whatever that is - Eichel > Suzuki in terms of asset value.

I like Eichel fine but personally I couldn't care less about him right now. I want to see where our playoff run ends, and if we can go all the way and win the cup. My desire to trade for Eichel and overpay for him is a lot different if we win the cup with guys like KK, Suzuki, Caufield leading the way than it is if we get swept next round.

I think a team like Rangers would pay high for Eichel, and they have so many assets.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
It's all good not signing Staal Perry Armia Danault Tatar , Trade Drouin and let like Chariot or Allen go , but the question is , who do we have to get Jack Eichel?

I want to see how this current playoff run shakes out before making any of those decisions.

Allen - instrumental in regular season success. For starters he was real good, and also he allowed us to lighten the load on Price a lot. See the effect past 2 playoffs when Price enters better rested
Chariot - great performance so far in these playoffs. Certainly he's not an untouchable, but I like him and rather keep him
Staal/Perry/Armia - Also, great in these playoffs. Not necessarily saying we bring them all back (or any) - but let's see how far we go in playoffs, if we go all the way. If we do - hanging on to some of these vets who were instrumental to our win might make sense.
Danault - Again, he's an extremely valuable player. Clearly you get rid of Danault in a heartbeat if it means getting Eichel - but i'd guess any trade for Eichel likely includes Suzuki or KK - so odds are we keep Danault and maybe package a KK, so we have a Suzuki/Danault/Eichel line at center

Tatar - gone, agreed
Drouin - TBD. I think a lot of it depends on why he's out. Everyone is assuming "he can't handle the pressure" but that's just speculation. Maybe he has a different reason - maybe he comes back super focused next camp. Lots of question marks about him, just too soon to assume he'll be gone.

Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Honestly guys - to me our best foot forward by far this off season isn't trading for someone like Eichel (great player, cost will be stupid high though) - it's Offer Sheets. This summer is the most loaded in history of cap era, moreso than even 2 years ago. You have:

Makar
Dahlin
Hughes
Heiskanen
EP
Kaprizov
Svechnikov
Laine
Brady Tkachuk

We successfully got a player to sign an offer sheet 2 years ago. It's true Canes matched and it didn't work out - but I think we should try again this year. In this climate, post pandemic, other poorer teams may struggle more to match. I also think this crop of talent above is insane. I'd consider paying 4 1st round picks for any of the first 5 names, and certainly 2 first round picks.

Laine could be very attractive too depending on price.

I think that's what we should aim for.

Most of the teams will likely try to bridge them. Even Makar, #1 on the list - you might think "why would he leave Avs". And maybe that's true, but Avs probably try to bridge him at 6M$/2 years. If we come in and offer him.....11M for 8 years? That's a lot of money to turn down.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
We might consider Girard for that LH PMD need. Those awful playoffs must have change the pricetag if he is ever available.

Also a fan of the Blais-Drouin swap... Blais would fit in like a glove next to Suzy and CC
Seeing how he got ground down and was -8 the last few games in the playoffs tells me no. Love it or hate it, the backend of all the remaining teams are bigger and more physical. It's what you need in the playoffs. Only improvements would be D that's big and more mobile which are hard to find. Hamilton or Jones would be my preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->