Proposal: Trade Thread Part 68

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkyMarkov

Jan 31, 2010
for cap purpose some salary would have to be included but if the main piece to land Eichel is only Suzuki and Caufield. We would be fool not to do that trade IMO

I'm not so sure about that. Caufield is going to be special, same with Suzuki. They're earning small money for the next few years, while Eichel is already at over 10 million. So we trade two cost controlled assets and give up huge cap space that can go towards building the team. Then you have to factor in that Eichel needs surgery to repair a herniated disc. That's not even mentioning what we have to give up on top of Caufield and Suzuki. Build with what we have if that's the cost.

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
I'm not so sure about that. Caufield is going to be special, same with Suzuki. They're earning small money for the next few years, while Eichel is already at over 10 million. So we trade two cost controlled assets and give up huge cap space that can go towards building the team. Then you have to factor in that Eichel needs surgery to repair a herniated disc. That's not even mentioning what we have to give up on top of Caufield and Suzuki. Build with what we have if that's the cost.

Always the cap salary fear, like we are the only team in the leagues whos not able to sign a superstar elite player. When you have the chance to land such player you readjust your plan and build around this star. Im kind of fed up not having a legit top 10 center in the league playing for the habs. Lets give 6 millions to danault instead and resign tatar so we can keep the same statu quo. For over a quarter of century we turn in circle. We need a top center to pass the next level and become a true contender. Suzuki and Caufield is really small price to pay for a player of that caliber. We always overate our players and we always end up sucking. But we all know Bergevin wont trade for Eichel, he will keep the same plan that leads to nowhere except no mans land. And some fans seem happy always endind in the dead end. Suzuki and Caufield im sorry to say wont be top 10 players in this league. I like them a lot but they are far from the player Eichel is

Reactions: DAChampion

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Ironically, I don't think Buffalo will get as much for Eichel as I think most people think. We see it all the time when the trade proposals are waaay out of whack with the reality of the trade.

I think we have the assets to get Eichel as much as any other team. I don't think we have the want or a GM willing to give what it takes to make a trade of that caliber. Simply put, Bergevin won't make a trade he doesn't think he'll win. In Eichel's case, it would take a package that might be too big for him to concede. Just like not wanting to give up Poehling for ROR. It's just not in his DNA to make that deal and give up the youth and picks it would take. Funny enough, Bergevin has done way better in trades than in developing youth, so it would be to his advantage to make a deal and give up the youth.

I'm not holding my breath on any significant changes just yet. Maybe if we get swept, we could see a purge in management but otherwise, expect the expected!
Not trading Poehling for ROR was an all time bonehead move

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
They should whatever they can to get Eichel, he’s a legit superstar center who grew up rooting for the habs. Who cares what is given for him, yes like most fans I’m attached to some players and it’s always sad to see them leave but for Eichel it’s worth it.

He would be the best player to wear that uniform in decades. Yes you lose some future complementary pieces but nothing that can’t be replaced especially when you have a player like that to build around.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
They should whatever they can to get Eichel, he’s a legit superstar center who grew up rooting for the habs. Who cares what is given for him, yes like most fans I’m attached to some players and it’s always sad to see them leave but for Eichel it’s worth it.

He would be the best player to wear that uniform in decades. Yes you lose some future complementary pieces but nothing that can’t be replaced especially when you have a player like that to build around.
Anybody but CC.

Reactions: Jpageman

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
We always do the same thing, we hang to our players and prospects so much and refuse to trade them for known assets because we are too attached to what they could be.

Pull the trigger now and get something that will change the face of this franchise forever. Yes it would hurt to see guys like Suzuki and Caufield leaving, and as much as I love and believe in them, they are not Eichel.

We already have Toffoli, Anderson and Gallagher as top 6 wingers. You would need one more assuming you’d send Drouin packing and an other center depending on what happens with Danault/Kotkaniemi.

That’s already better than what he ever got in Buffalo. Eichel would change so much on this team, finally a superstar that can produce and truly make everyone around him better. Finally a guy that would bring others players to this market. I know it’s harsh price to pay for a lot of people but it’s time for this team to go forward with next level talent.

Anybody but CC.

Don’t want to give him up either, but to get you gotta give at some point. Who really knows what player he will end up being. Will he be 40 goals scorer ? A 30 goals 60 points one or a 30-20 type of guy. With Eichel you already know the sky is the limit, no one on this team can compare talent wise and he’s an elite center (which we lacked for so long).

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Don’t want to give him up either, but to get you gotta give at some point. Who really knows what player he will end up being. Will he be 40 goals scorer ? A 30 goals 60 points one or a 30-20 type of guy. With Eichel you already know the sky is the limit, no one on this team can compare talent wise and he’s an elite center (which we lacked for so long).
Having a sniper like CC at bottom dollar over the next few years is too good to pass up. Eichel makes 10 mil a year. Can't justify that trade.

KK ++? Sure. Suzuki +? Yeah, I'd do it. But CC is off the table as far as I'm concerned. He's as close to untouchable as it gets.

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
Having a sniper like CC at bottom dollar over the next few years is too good to pass up. Eichel makes 10 mil a year. Can't justify that trade.

KK ++? Sure. Suzuki +? Yeah, I'd do it. But CC is off the table as far as I'm concerned. He's as close to untouchable as it gets.

Fair enough.

The less we would give the better it would be, though depending how Buffalo view the players they would probably start the ask with Suzuki. And if they don’t you got to do that trade for something like KK, Caufield, Romanov + 1st, I would do it.

We don’t know yet what Caufield will be, I’m confident enough to say he has the best shot arsenal on the team by far, but who knows how much he will produce next year. What if he does 28 goals (which is great) and his last contract year he has sophomore slump and does less or he scores around the same and then you gotta sign him long term. You take out what those guys bring in but you add what Eichel can bring with his production.

He never scored under 24 goals a season and had 36 goals in 68 games last season. He would make our powerplay one of the best in the league and create more scoring opportunities for everyone around. He can carry puck like no other player on this team.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Fair enough.

The less we would give the better it would be, though depending how Buffalo view the players they would probably start the ask with Suzuki. And if they don’t you got to do that trade for something like KK, Caufield, Romanov + 1st, I would do it.

We don’t know yet what Caufield will be, I’m confident enough to say he has the best shot arsenal on the team by far, but who knows how much he will produce next year. What if he does 28 goals (which is great) and his last contract year he has sophomore slump and does less or he scores around the same and then you gotta sign him long term. You take out what those guys bring in but you add what Eichel can bring with his production.

He never scored under 24 goals a season and had 36 goals in 68 games last season. He would make our powerplay one of the best in the league and create more scoring opportunities for everyone around. He can carry puck like no other player on this team.
It's true. He's unproven in the NHL. But his pedegree is simply too good to ignore. I just can't justify trading him away. I think he's going to be a legit superstar.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

Yeah, with how quickly he's show the ability to translate his goal scoring ability to the pro game, he's gotta be considered close to untouchable...

And.

Eichel is likely the superior player for the next decade... If CC is the ask, provided he's the focal point asset and some cap $ go the other way, we'd have to explore it.

Doubt buffalo would value him enough to do a deal that makes sense given the optics of trading their franchise cornerstone, so it's probably

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yeah, with how quickly he's show the ability to translate his goal scoring ability to the pro game, he's gotta be considered close to untouchable...

And.

Eichel is likely the superior player for the next decade... If CC is the ask, provided he's the focal point asset and some cap $ go the other way, we'd have to explore it.

Doubt buffalo would value him enough to do a deal that makes sense given the optics of trading their franchise cornerstone, so it's probably
Explore it? Yes. But ultimately, I don't think I'd do it. I hate the idea of trading away young talent like that.

Reactions: Miller Time

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
I think Sam Reinhart would be the better (and more cost effective) target. It’s not that I wouldn’t want to acquire Eichel - he’s simply too costly for the salary cap he’d take up. We already have Price and Weber eating up huge amounts of cap, Gallagher’s raise kicks in next year as well, and we will likely have to sign Danault and another defenseman or winger depending on what’s going on with Drouin.

Reinhart has shown he can be a number one Center in this league, and he is extremely dangerous on the power play. I’d offer up a package based around Kotkaniemi, as the main return.

Something along the lines of -

To Montreal - Sam Reinhart

To Buffalo - Jesperi Kotkaniemi, 2021 1st round pick, 2022 2nd round pick, Paul Byron (cap reasons)

Not a huge return for Reinhart but he’s a guy that has for all intents and purposes stated he wants out, so that lowers the return a bit. Still a decent package.

Then if they could sign UFA puck moving defenseman Tyson Barrie to a deal we would be set all over.

Habs lineup for 2022:

Toffoli - Suzuki - Caufield
_____- Reinhart - Anderson
Poehling - Danault - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Evans - Perry

Edmundson - Petry
Chiarot - Barrie
Romanov - Weber

Price
Primeau

Reactions: smirob

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I think Sam Reinhart would be the better (and more cost effective) target. It’s not that I wouldn’t want to acquire Eichel - he’s simply too costly for the salary cap he’d take up. We already have Price and Weber eating up huge amounts of cap, Gallagher’s raise kicks in next year as well, and we will likely have to sign Danault and another defenseman or winger depending on what’s going on with Drouin.

Reinhart has shown he can be a number one Center in this league, and he is extremely dangerous on the power play. I’d offer up a package based around Kotkaniemi, as the main return.

Something along the lines of -

To Montreal - Sam Reinhart

To Buffalo - Jesperi Kotkaniemi, 2021 1st round pick, 2022 2nd round pick, Paul Byron (cap reasons)

Not a huge return for Reinhart but he’s a guy that has for all intents and purposes stated he wants out, so that lowers the return a bit. Still a decent package.

Then if they could sign UFA puck moving defenseman Tyson Barrie to a deal we would be set all over.

Habs lineup for 2022:

_____- Reinhart - Anderson
Poehling - Danault - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Evans - Perry

Edmundson - Petry
Chiarot - Barrie
Romanov - Weber

Price
Primeau

I like Reinhart a lot, but that is waaaay too much. Switch JKO to Poehling or Harris, remove Byron, and let Danault walk...

Suzuki - Reinhart - JKO - Evans... That's a C group you can build a contender around over next 2-4yrs, giving us the cap flex to fix the trainwreck on D MB has created.

jellybeans

Nov 9, 2007
Not a MB move, but if we were to get a new GM...

To Buffalo
Weber, Chiarot, Byron

To Mtl
Ristolainen, Skinner (1M retained)
--------

To Anh
Poehling, Drouin, Kulak, 2nd

To Mtl
Comtois, Fowler
-----------
Comtois - Danault - Gallagher
Skinner - JKO - Anderson
Lekhonen - Evans - Perry
Teasdale/Ylonen

Fowler - Ristolainen
Romanov - Petry
Edmundson - Fleury
Brook/Leskinen

Price
Allen

Skiner hahahahahaha ok sure.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Imagine if we traded Tatar at the 2020 deadline? The futures would look even better and we would have room for Caufield.

In the last few years my recollection is that the Rags were pretty close to playoff spots in a couple if those years, and might have made the post season with at least standing pat. They didn't, they sold off players.

In other words , the Rangers decided that against trying to just show up for play offs, that they would stick with their rebuilding plan, and move out players. They said as much.

Habs on the other hand, see that we are 2 Cs shy of 2 top Cs at the time of the TDL. Also a disaster on Weber pairing. But our goal is just to show up for the play offs, so instead or unloading a couple guys , including Tatar, who I don't think fits for the future , we add some fringe pieces to " hopefully " slide in.

Play offs can be fun. Stanley Cup runs are more fun though. I'm okay waiting if the right strategy is in place.

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT
Im in the "suzuki package" for Eichel but caufield is a NO. I know we would have to give up more good assets but we all know the return is never as crazy as all the armchair GMs believe.
Suzuki++ two first rounders + one of poehling/guhle/romanov + roster player is more than enough, thats 4 previous 1st round picks

Cole shouldn't need to be included

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Trading away what it would take to even be in the conversation for Eichel is a very short-sighted move...adding Eichel doesn't fix our terrible defense or complete lack of a transition game, especially when you subtract the young talent as well as the picks we would need to add in order to land him, not to mention adding that Cap to an already Cap-screwed team...it's a pipe dream and not logical in the long run regardless...first and foremost this Organization has to fix that defense, add at least one PMD, and decide whether it's Danault or Kotkaniemi that they want as a Top 6 C moving forward...it's time to prioritize the long term for once...

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
Trading away what it would take to even be in the conversation for Eichel is a very short-sighted move...adding Eichel doesn't fix our terrible defense or complete lack of a transition game, especially when you subtract the young talent as well as the picks we would need to add in order to land him, not to mention adding that Cap to an already Cap-screwed team...it's a pipe dream and not logical in the long run regardless...first and foremost this Organization has to fix that defense, add at least one PMD, and decide whether it's Danault or Kotkaniemi that they want as a Top 6 C moving forward...it's time to prioritize the long term for once...
This organization hasn't had a star forward since the early 90s. It's an absolute must to build forward. Eichel is the exact type of player this team needs. Will IT transform IT into a contender, of course not, but the IT would finally be a good start.

Reactions: Jabba11
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->