Proposal: Trade Thread Part 56

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Can Laine be extended? And if so when? Can he be extended now or is it once the off season starts? Wonder if whoever is trading for him has an extension in place and is waiting?

Pretty sure it'd be July 1st in normal times - so similarly whenever UFA/RFA season starts, post draft. I know draft is Oct 6th-7th, I assume UFA starts a few days after but I'm not sure off hand if an exact date is announced.

Makes sense to wait to trade & sign to be honest, I hadn't thought of that.

Hope they trade him and he gets a shot somewhere else. I still think he might be able to make it at the NHL level, but obviously it's not working for him here.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
tough waiting to see the moves this year

I think we will be disappointed. Why? Cause I think circumstance would have to present itself in order for a trade to materialize. With Domi signed, we don't have cap space. If we get in a trade where we pick up a winger for futures, We will more than likely have to trade Domi for futures in a separate deal. The guy that does fit our cap is Rakell though (16th OA and Brook). We can trade for Rakell, Domi to arbitration, and then try to move Byron where we add a 2nd and a prospect like Olofsson for future considerations return (M Staal type trade). That would create a 23 man roster with about $2.5M in cap space.

However, don't hold your breath. Also, * Below is potential protection assets. Choose Edmundson over Chiarot but who knows. A lot depends on what most of them do this next season

Drouin* / Suzuki / Rakell*
Tatar* / Danault* / Gallagher*
Domi* / Kotkaniemi* / Armia
Poehling / Evans / Lehkonen

Weal

Chiarot / Weber*
Edmundson* / Petry*
Romanov / Juulsen

Kulak, Mete

Price*
Allen

Last edited:

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Pretty sure it'd be July 1st in normal times - so similarly whenever UFA/RFA season starts, post draft. I know draft is Oct 6th-7th, I assume UFA starts a few days after but I'm not sure off hand if an exact date is announced.

Makes sense to wait to trade & sign to be honest, I hadn't thought of that.

Hope they trade him and he gets a shot somewhere else. I still think he might be able to make it at the NHL level, but obviously it's not working for him here.
Well if there is a trade in place then I think it's going to be a sign and trade where Laine has accepted the term and money then and both teams are being tight lipped.

ngc_5128

Sep 24, 2002
It's been announced for a while now. October 9th.

Reactions: bobholly39

ngc_5128

Sep 24, 2002
Can Laine be extended? And if so when? Can he be extended now or is it once the off season starts? Wonder if whoever is trading for him has an extension in place and is waiting?
Players have been able to sign extensions for 21-22 since the CBA extension was signed in July.

Mike Towers

Aug 8, 2019
Not sure I would do that straight up for Domi but Tippett is a good target for sure. Maybe we can try to get both Tippett and Borgstrom for Domi and Fleury?
Yes the Panthers are certainly looking for a D-man after trading Matheson and Borgstrom has size and upside.

1000eeer

Jan 28, 2020
Quebec city
Underrated goal scorer? Really? Or did you mean underperforming goal scorer? His last three seasons he has had goal totals of 11, 23, 21 and he's 25. Except for his size those numbers are Paul Byron territory and many on this board want to unload him.

21 goals in 49 games... It's a 35 goals pace.. But most importantly there's a progression.

82 games pace:
2018 = 11 goals
2019 = 24 goals
2020 = 35 goals

If you're gonna use stats, do it properly.

Last edited:

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Here's an idea, Alzner+picks for Kessel. Some people will be put off, but both of their contracts expire in 2 years, and Arizona needs picks thanks to Chayka. They also save money which they need to because, well it's Arizona.

Say what you want about Kessel, but having him next to KK/Suzuki seems like a good fit. He will probably score around 50ish points here and don't forget that he was willing to be traded from Toronto to Montreal when he got traded to the Pens.

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Here's an idea, Alzner+picks for Kessel. Some people will be put off, but both of their contracts expire in 2 years, and Arizona needs picks thanks to Chayka. They also save money which they need to because, well it's Arizona.

Say what you want about Kessel, but having him next to KK/Suzuki seems like a good fit. He will probably score around 50ish points here and don't forget that he was willing to be traded from Toronto to Montreal when he got traded to the Pens.
This could be an interesting possibility. We NEED a real goalscorer....he may be getting up there, but it's only 2 years.

Reactions: The Great Weise

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Depends on the picks. Kessel has really fallen off the last couple of years (Malkin masked it in Pittsburgh).

He also seems like the opposite of a Julien player.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Hell no to kessel. If we are to miss out on Laine next option is rakell or buch or maybe both?

16th pick+ prospect for rakell
Buch+ for Domi

Now we can roll three lines and we have some size. Only problem is expansion year

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Depends on the picks. Kessel has really fallen off the last couple of years (Malkin masked it in Pittsburgh).

He also seems like the opposite of a Julien player.
I'm assuming at least 1 2nd rounder. Kessel won't be the PPG+ player, but Arizona is so bad offensively that it seems almost impossible for him not to be a 45-55 point player that can score 20-25 goals here next to Tatar/Drouin and Suzuki/KK.

We are in such dire need of talent that we can't really be too picky. Kovalchuk didn't seem like a Julien player either, yet he was the most used forward in his time in Montreal.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
OLIVER BJORKSTRAND in CLB.

Underrated goal scorer. 25 years old. 6', but not the biggest.

Domi for Bjorkstrand and Marchenko. I'd do that.

Problem is, I don't think Columbus management underrate him...

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I'd take Kessel. He still has a bit left in the tank.

Love the stories about how rarely ever works out then shows up to the gym out of the blue and squats 3 plates like it's nothing to him and he does this all the time.

Reactions: ngc_5128

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm assuming at least 1 2nd rounder. Kessel won't be the PPG+ player, but Arizona is so bad offensively that it seems almost impossible for him not to be a 45-55 point player that can score 20-25 goals here next to Tatar/Drouin and Suzuki/KK.

We are in such dire need of talent that we can't really be too picky. Kovalchuk didn't seem like a Julien player either, yet he was the most used forward in his time in Montreal.

I'm open to the idea. Only issue is Kessel has a NMC. So we would have to protect him over guys like Lehkonen and Armia.

However, I doubt the Coyotes will move him. His bonus has already been paid and his actual salary is less than Alzner this next season. What is the incentive for them to do this? I think it would have to be more than a 2nd IMO. Don't think this materializes but a decent idea

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
21 goals in 49 games... It's a 35 goals pace.. But most importantly there's a progression.

82 games pace:
2018 = 11 goals
2019 = 24 goals
2020 = 35 goals

If you're gonna use stats, do it properly.
You're telling me to use stats properly. You're including make-believe numbers with your 35 goals pace. Did he ever score 35 goals in a season? No. Stick with reality and not BS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad