Proposal: Trade Thread: Off-season edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Can't we just bring Manny Malhotra or Yanic Perreault out of retirement for league minimum? Jay Beagle had 6 goals and 26 points...combined in his three *years* in Vancouver. MB just needs to land a decent legit top-9 guy who pushes Evans down to his proper 4C role, our cup always runneth over with 12/13/14F types, you being in a guy like Beagle you now have two black holes in the C position.

And I realize this is more you saying 'here's a MB type of move' vs. fully endorsing it yourself.
Yes it’s a combination of that and at some point the org allowing the process to play itself out, they’ve spent the better part of the last 4-years “retooling” and now have NHL ready bodies to show for who simply needing cultivation at the NHL level - Suzuki, KK, Poehling, Evans.

I get the feel, the org is much higher & more committed to their prospects than the fanbase seems to be ..

Last edited:

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
That’s usually because the player getting traded has a huge contract and that applies here + if you add the health concerns….

I agree…and it’s probably why no trade has gone down yet

Teams don't trade players of this caliber unless there's a reason. It's not going to be a bounty for Buffalo. If anything this will set them back significantly.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Teams don't trade players of this caliber unless there's a reason. It's not going to be a bounty for Buffalo. If anything this will set them back significantly.
Hearing the casm between what Buffalo is asling and teams are offering, it's no surprise he hasn't been traded yet. Buffalo wants max value for a damaged player in a flat cap word and it's not likely to happen but they're holding out. As more teams begin to fill out their roster, there's less money in their cap and less suitors to compete. They're flubbing this badly so far and it only looks to be getting worse. The time to trade was before the draft and FA period. Now their going to be in a jam going into when camps begin to open. Don't know what they're waiting for tbh.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Hearing the casm between what Buffalo is asling and teams are offering, it's no surprise he hasn't been traded yet. Buffalo wants max value for a damaged player in a flat cap word and it's not likely to happen but they're holding out. As more teams begin to fill out their roster, there's less money in their cap and less suitors to compete. They're flubbing this badly so far and it only looks to be getting worse. The time to trade was before the draft and FA period. Now their going to be in a jam going into when camps begin to open. Don't know what they're waiting for tbh.

Time to do this was before the draft. It's too late for them to get a haul now. They waited too long. Too many teams went with other options, UFA signings, etc... and Buffalo is stuck, because ultimately, they NEED to trade the guy. They really fumbled this. The best package they could have gotten would have been what teams were offering before the draft.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I would love to get Dvorak out of Arizona.

But someone else I wouldn't mind getting instead of him out of there is Nick Shmaltz.

Dvorak is able to score more goals, but he's been a 30+ point player most of his career. His last two seasons (season cut short due to pandemic and this year with a 56-game season), he was on a 45-point pace.

Schmaltz scores less goals, but he had a 52 point season in Chicago. His following season, he was on a 50+ point pace split between Chicago and Arizona. And his last two seasons in Arizona, he was again on a 50+ point pace.

But Dvorak has what Habs really need, and that's being good on face-offs. In his 5 seasons in the league, he's been over 50% on the dot every year besides his rookie year. Whereas Schmaltz has never been anywhere close to 50% in his 5 years. His best FO% has been this past season at 42.8% FOW.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I would love to get Dvorak out of Arizona.

But someone else I wouldn't mind getting instead of him out of there is Nick Shmaltz.

Dvorak is able to score more goals, but he's been a 30+ point player most of his career. His last two seasons (season cut short due to pandemic and this year with a 56-game season), he was on a 45-point pace.

Schmaltz scores less goals, but he had a 52 point season in Chicago. His following season, he was on a 50+ point pace split between Chicago and Arizona. And his last two seasons in Arizona, he was again on a 50+ point pace.

But Dvorak has what Habs really need, and that's being good on face-offs. In his 5 seasons in the league, he's been over 50% on the dot every year besides his rookie year. Whereas Schmaltz has never been anywhere close to 50% in his 5 years. His best FO% has been this past season at 42.8% FOW.
Dvorak is also a much better two way player and could more or less fit right into the role Danault had. He would require very little '"maintenance'' and/or modification of our system.

ML16

Aug 28, 2020
Montreal
From an asset management perspective, I think the Habs should leverage their deep prospect pool / depth of the wings in order to pry disgruntled RFAs who would fit with the team's dynamic and bolster their lineup as soon as next season to build on last year's Cup run's momentum.

In that spirit, Andrew Copp recently filed for arbitration with Winnipeg. The Jets have around 7M remaining with Copp, Pionk and Stanley still looking for contracts. Maybe a package centered around Poehling+ would enticed the Jets to part with Copp? The latter would be an excellent fit for sharing middle-6 duties with Kotkaniemi, and would likely be more cost-efficient option (4,5M AAV?) that if the Habs had re-signed Danault... (As for the "+", it could be picks since Winnipeg has already traded away their 2nd and 4th round picks in the next draft ; I guess Lekhonen could also be a worthwhile trading bait option if Drouin does indeed return this fall...)

Also, the Kraken has yet to come to terms with Vince Dunn, who also filed for arbitration this week. Maybe a package centered around Harris+ would be enticing enough for Francis to trade away Dunn? Dunn would be a good complementary partner for Chiarot, be re-signed around 3,5M AAV?, be an option for the PP's second wave and would also enable a Romanov/Savard third pairing. I highly value Harris, but since he decided to go back to college next year, he might be considering signing his ELC with an American team after all... (As for the "+", it could obviously be pick(s) since Seattle is building it's franchise from scratch ; I guess Kulak could also be offered as a cost-efficient third pairing for the short term, but Lekhonen appears to have the best trading value, especially since he'll remain RFA next offseason.)

Last edited:
Reactions: BLONG7

Film Noir

Mar 7, 2010
Verdun
Time to do this was before the draft. It's too late for them to get a haul now. They waited too long. Too many teams went with other options, UFA signings, etc... and Buffalo is stuck, because ultimately, they NEED to trade the guy. They really fumbled this. The best package they could have gotten would have been what teams were offering before the draft.
That's what I thought too when the AVS waited forever to trade Duchene. Turns out there's always a dumb desperate GM willing to overpay for goals.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
That's what I thought too when the AVS waited forever to trade Duchene. Turns out there's always a dumb desperate GM willing to overpay for goals.

So did Bergevin with Pacioretty.

The difference with Eichel is that he's probably not ready to play until after he has a procedure on his neck. So the longer this drags on, the less of a chance he will be ready to go for opening night. Which matters if you're giving up a 2022 1st.

Reactions: HabsForHire

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
Nope. That would be horrible for Sabres. KK isn't anywhere near top6 player. Drouin is also a big question mark. Late 1st round picks are overrated. Nothing but question marks.

KK/Romanov/Caufield/1st/1st

I'd MAYBE pay that price for Auston Matthews, but not Jack Eichel coming off that surgery --- that's a monster package, and I would challenge anyone to tell me the last time a package of comparable quantity or quality was traded for any single asset in the NHL.

Even in just raw draft picks, thats FOUR 1st round picks (including two ?s, and a 3rd overall selection) and a late 2nd that in a re-draft would be a top 20 pick in his class. Caufield also does not stay at 15 in a re-draft ... that package is absolutely ludicrous.

Reactions: Locks

1000eeer

Jan 28, 2020
Quebec city
Hoffman - Suzuki - Anderson
Drouin - KK - Caufield
Toffoli - Dvorak - Gallagher
Lekhonen - Evans - Armia

Edmundson - Petry
Dunn - Savard
Chariot - Romanov
Kulak

Price
Allen

Seems really balanced to me...

Reactions: Habs Icing

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
So did Bergevin with Pacioretty.

The difference with Eichel is that he's probably not ready to play until after he has a procedure on his neck. So the longer this drags on, the less of a chance he will be ready to go for opening night. Which matters if you're giving up a 2022 1st.
I've honestly been wondering if its by design, if a team gets gutted and you get there first your basically walking the 1st into a lottery pick if you can make em wait long enough

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Nope. That would be horrible for Sabres. KK isn't anywhere near top6 player. Drouin is also a big question mark. Late 1st round picks are overrated. Nothing but question marks.

KK/Romanov/Caufield/1st/1st

Now that's a realistic price for a young franchise center. Yeah, surprisingly Sabres wants something in return.

Except he isn't just a franchise center. He's an injured player with medical complications whose future could be in question. Furthermore, he has all but demanded a trade. Each of these points drop his value significantly, which is why Buffalo is having such a hard time actually finding a taker. No team is going to pay such an exorbitant price with so many question marks. And the longer this draws out, the more Buffalo's position worsens. They can't prompt a bidding war when there's only two or three teams even interested. Sure, they can keep Eichel but now your "franchise center" and captain is returning to a team he doesn't want to play for. Not a good atmosphere for young players or to attract UFAs.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
The lines the habs can put up, are ok, but not dominate.
the top 2 lines need to be a sure thing, KK is not

MB needs to find a better fit. I would go after by trade. thing is MB won't trade next years 1st rounder, as it is in hab land
I say they go threaten Benning on a offer sheet for their big centre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad