• Jesperi Kotkaniemi

• Nick Suzuki

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
If it gets rid of Claude’s weird obsession with putting Weal out on the power play, then I’m one hundred and fifty percent behind it... He’s addition by subtraction at this point.

Byron is the guy who needs to go now. I’ve always been a fan of the guy, but never a fan of his contract. I’d package him with a third (or even a 2nd) to free up the space to sign a tough guy for the fourth line like Matt Martin. Martin I think would fit very well and add that meanness to the fourth line (giving us a physical guy on every line)... after that have a look around at the trade deadline and see what was available.

Drouin - Suzuki - Toffoli
Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Kotkaniemi - Anderson
Martin - Evans - Armia

Chiarot - Weber
Edmundson - Petry
Romanov - Fleury

Price
Allen

That’s a big, tough lineup, filled with talent.
agreed no more pushed around

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
OK, so who’s going to take Byron and at what price? Good luck with that, in this market.

You’d have to add a sweetener to Byron, I suggested a third round pick in my post, for a contract return (AHL player, low draft pick, or project) but you’d have to think one of the budget teams would take him in the hopes that he’d return to form. I mean it’s basically a free pick and current NHL veteran for nothing other than Cap space you weren’t using anyway.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
You’d have to add a sweetener to Byron, I suggested a third round pick in my post, for a contract return (AHL player, low draft pick, or project) but you’d have to think one of the budget teams would take him in the hopes that he’d return to form. I mean it’s basically a free pick and current NHL veteran for nothing other than Cap space you weren’t using anyway.

I like the idea but am just wary that in this buyer's market, with so few suitors and most of them cap strapped, that the ask to take on a player who has not been the same since his major injury, is going to be a lot more than a 3rd round pick.

Cap space is king right now -- I don't think we can expect a team to take on a player with 3 years remaining on his contract at $3.4 M per year, who is 31 and whose game relies on speed -- without the Habs retaining salary, taking on some lesser toxic asset, giving up a prospect and/or a pick.

We all know this was a bad contract from the start, that only got worse. He's a toxic asset given the current league situation.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
I like the idea but am just wary that in this buyer's market, with so few suitors and most of them cap strapped, that the ask to take on a player who has not been the same since his major injury, is going to be a lot more than a 3rd round pick.

Cap space is king right now -- I don't think we can expect a team to take on a player with 3 years remaining on his contract at $3.4 M per year, who is 31 and whose game relies on speed -- without the Habs retaining salary, taking on some lesser toxic asset, giving up a prospect and/or a pick.

We all know this was a bad contract from the start, that only got worse. He's a toxic asset given the current league situation.

Yup, you summed it up perfectly.

I’m just saying I think we are at the point where we have to seriously consider making a move that sacrifices a decent asset in exchange for an opportunity to win now. Our young centers are still on their entry level contracts, we’ve got a decent backup for the first time since Halak (and we saw what he could do when rested) and we finally have some size and depth all around, a couple of tweaks and I think we are a serious contender. If you can deal Byron, to give yourself some room to make those tweaks,but are forced to give up something that hurts (within reason of course), I think you have to make that move.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

Byron isn’t going anywhere for that reason and because he’s loved here and considered part of the leadership group. TBH, I’m fine with keeping him for now anyways. When healthy he’s a very useful player and we seem to be much better when he’s in the lineup than without. Rather dump Kulak and Weal to add a legit 4th liner like Martin and add some cap space.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
We have enough leadership we need more skills aka more goals. Leadership can only take you so far its the skill that will take us to the cup.

Reactions: BLONG7

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
no contract discussion in months, danault mentioning he took a discount on his last contract and won't do it again..fire up the rumours...
don't lose this asset for free...
it's super important bergevin makes the right decisions with tatar and danault

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
no contract discussion in months, danault mentioning he took a discount on his last contract and won't do it again..fire up the rumours...
don't lose this asset for free...
it's super important bergevin makes the right decisions with tatar and danault

MB making right decisions?

If he can pull another Pacces return type deal for both players, then I'll be happy. Sell both assets high for maximum return. This team doesn't need Danault if Suzuki and KK progress. Also, Poehling can replace Danault eventually. Tatar has been money ever since coming here but the team philosophy has changed. He's not physical enough.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Byron isn’t going anywhere for that reason and because he’s loved here and considered part of the leadership group. TBH, I’m fine with keeping him for now anyways. When healthy he’s a very useful player and we seem to be much better when he’s in the lineup than without. Rather dump Kulak and Weal to add a legit 4th liner like Martin and add some cap space.
In this market, there are no takers for any of them. Byron brings speed on the bottom 9. Kulak is your 7th D. He did great for a few games but his inconsistency is problematic. Weal brings grit, although we haven't seen much of it.

You dump Weal in the AHL, save about 1 mil. in cap space and bring up 2 youngsters for a 22 man roster. You might also save up to 1.4 mil in cap space if Weal is claimed on waivers. Many teams with lots of space are actually waiting for players on low caphits to claim because they don't have to sacrifice assets. I don't mind losing him for nothing because in order to move him, the Habs might need to add a pick. So, it makes sense to place Weal on waivers and wait for a team to take him off your hands.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sterling Archer

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If it gets rid of Claude’s weird obsession with putting Weal out on the power play, then I’m one hundred and fifty percent behind it... He’s addition by subtraction at this point.

Byron is the guy who needs to go now. I’ve always been a fan of the guy, but never a fan of his contract. I’d package him with a third (or even a 2nd) to free up the space to sign a tough guy for the fourth line like Matt Martin. Martin I think would fit very well and add that meanness to the fourth line (giving us a physical guy on every line)... after that have a look around at the trade deadline and see what was available.

Drouin - Suzuki - Toffoli
Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Kotkaniemi - Anderson
Martin - Evans - Armia

Chiarot - Weber
Edmundson - Petry
Romanov - Fleury

Price
Allen

That’s a big, tough lineup, filled with talent.

I think we can all agree that it's time to get a little bigger and we have done that with Anderson and Toffoli added. Unloading Byron and Weal to create cap space and also bring in some depth/size is a good thing. I like the direction we are heading in. My biggest concern is the PP still

Reactions: Beendair Donedat

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
MB making right decisions?

If he can pull another Pacces return type deal for both players, then I'll be happy. Sell both assets high for maximum return. This team doesn't need Danault if Suzuki and KK progress. Also, Poehling can replace Danault eventually. Tatar has been money ever since coming here but the team philosophy has changed. He's not physical enough.

If there is a season, we are going to find out how this new roster on paper produces on the ice. If we struggle still, moves will be made at the next deadline. Some want a movement towards futures more but I see that happening until after Weber's 3 years left. So I would sign Danault to a 3 or 4 year contract. Tatar, Byron, Weal, Kulak are pieces we might have to unload for cap reasons. I'm personally, not trading any of our top 3 centers. That's an advantage we have no had for a long time.

I think we are at a spot where we can try to move up the standings as much as possible (top 5-10 mix if things go right) for the next 3 years ish. Then we decide if we want to have another retool/reset and insert more youth. We have lots of picks so our prospect pool will have quantity for sure. We are in a decent spot for the now and the future.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What does that matter?

Not much. It would only matter if Byron had a NTC where he would be open to a trade to where he is from. Sens would need to want him and they might have interest if we add a 2nd on top. 3 years left at $3.4M is not good but it's not bad either. Injury concerns is what affects Byron's value IMO. I actually think he has a rebound year with all the competition on wing. Byron will step up... he's done it a few times before

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If he takes a one year deal sure.

I don't know... if you were Perry and you look at the Habs 8 wingers... do you sign with us for a one year low AAV? Usually, these guys look for better opportunities. Unless we tell Perry we have a trade we are trying to make where we open up a spot on wing.

Otherwise... Perry would compete with Gallagher, Tatar, Anderson, Toffoli, Drouin, Armia, Lehkonen, and Byron. Perry is not going to sign to be the 13th forward.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Angels says Habs thinking about Perry , good 4th line option?

wNnbfdC.jpg

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Where did he say this?
According to Canadiens insider Eric Engels, there might be one final piece of the puzzle left.
Engels speculates that the Canadiens are likely still interested in signing veteran forward Corey Perry.
The gritty former 50 goal scorer would be the perfect fit on the Canadiens bottom six and bring some great playoff experience along with the play that could be needed for an all Canadian division.
Perry signed a one year deal with the Dallas Stars last year which carried a $1.5million cap hit.
Engels believes that the Canadiens would like to sign him to a one year $1million deal which includes all the maximum performance bonuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad