KK or Suzy in a trade for PLD?

• Jesperi Kotkaniemi

• Nick Suzuki

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Top pairing LD remains a need (& less so LW), one we'd really amplify our next 2-year window if we could figure out...

Still bullish on the fit to swap with Calgary to hit both teams needs... Something like:

To Calgary
Tatar, Byron, Mete, Poehling, 2nd

To Mtl
Hanifin, Bennett, Dube

Cap hits are close (minus Poehling, who likely goes to Stockton)

Habs get top 4 LD with mobility & puck skills that fills need & compliments Weber well. Top 9 LW with untapped offensive upside and high floor (as is, very reliable/cost favorable 3rd liner, has tools to be a top 6 asset). High upside/low cost bottom 6 W.

Flames get productive winger with expiring deal (& cap flex next summer with hanifin off the books), solid yet pricey bottom 6 winger, solid upside/cheap/RFA-to-be LD depth... And a quality prospect & pick to offset imbalance in NHL-proven talent.

Both teams address needs & rebalance cap in useful ways...

Our 2020-21 roster:

Drouin - Suzuki - Anderson
Lekhonen - Danault - Gally
Bennett - JKO - Toffoli
Dube - Evans - Armia

Hanifin - Weber
Chiarot - Petry
Edmundson - Kulak
Romanov

Price
Allen
2021-22
Kracken pick + Allen 1.5M savings + Let Armia/Weal walk & move Kulak = $$ free to re-sign Danault & RFAs (Bennett, Dube, Lekhonen) + fill 4th line gap

Drouin - Suzuki - Anderson
Bennett - JKO - Toffoli
Lekhonen - Danault - Gally
Dube - Evans - ?

Hanifin - Weber
Romanov - Petry
*Chia/Edmu - Fleury/Juulsen

Price
*Allen

*likely to see one of Chiarot/Edmundson/Allen taken by Kracken... Can fill that loss with depth Ufa.

Both rosters have depth & balance to possibly make a run/win multiple PO rounds IF Price is at Vezina form.

Flames would laugh uncontrollably and hang up.

Reactions: Eegs

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Flames would laugh uncontrollably and hang up.
Correction before hanging up....

upload_2020-11-21_19-59-57.gif

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I am not sure, lots of teams are struggling to unload bad contracts. Ottawa is not necessarily the dumping ground of the league.

A think Weal is easier to move than Byron and Kulak who have more term and higher AAV. If we wanted to add a 4th on top of Weal to get a AHL player in return, I don't see this being difficult to pull off.

Bergevin said it himself... It won't be difficult to create cap space if we have too. He has a better feel for the market than we do.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
A think Weal is easier to move than Byron and Kulak who have more term and higher AAV. If we wanted to add a 4th on top of Weal to get a AHL player in return, I don't see this being difficult to pull off.

Bergevin said it himself... It won't be difficult to create cap space if we have too. He has a better feel for the market than we do.

Sorry but Bergevin saying it won’t be difficult to create cap space, if he did indeed say that because I haven’t researched as of now, is a complete lie. The cap around the league right now is hell. We’re talking about bare minimum bad contracts being incredibly hard to move if not impossible. We see lots of proposals about Ottawa, etc being able to help, but there’s only a few with cap space and they can’t help out the entire league. The Byron’s, Kulak’s, and Weal’s are here to stay.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Sorry but Bergevin saying it won’t be difficult to create cap space, if he did indeed say that because I haven’t researched as of now, is a complete lie. The cap around the league right now is hell. We’re talking about bare minimum bad contracts being incredibly hard to move if not impossible. We see lots of proposals about Ottawa, etc being able to help, but there’s only a few with cap space and they can’t help out the entire league. The Byron’s, Kulak’s, and Weal’s are here to stay.

We will see about that. Off season not over yet. I'll trust Bergevin on his ability to make a trade to create some cap cause he said he could and this is not some "believe every word" he says type thinking. Moving contracts is not easy yes but it all comes down to what futures you want to add to be able to move them. You or I don't know that price and there are teams with cap space.

If we can't move Byron, Kulak, or Weal type contracts... Tampa is screwed! Islanders too! I think there is more of an issue of trying to move those contracts and for what value.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
We will see about that. Off season not over yet

Why would the very few teams who have cap waste it on bums like Byron or whatever garbage the entire league is trying to sell desperately when they can use the situation to their advantage and pinch teams to get their good players instead at a discount? If Bergevin really said it would be easy to move cap if he had too, he’s a bigger moron then I thought. If he made that comment before this offseason and everything else happened, I’d be forgiving.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Why would the very few teams who have cap waste it on bums like Byron or whatever garbage the entire league is trying to sell desperately when they can use the situation to their advantage and pinch teams to get their good players instead at a discount? If Bergevin really said it would be easy to move cap if he had too, he’s a bigger moron then I thought. If he made that comment before this offseason and everything else happened, I’d be forgiving.

We have the futures to add to be able to move contracts like Byron, Weal, Kulak... if we want too. Not easy but not impossible. Other teams are also looking to do that as well so we will have to wait and see. This conversation started with Weal... One year deal with a low cap hit is not hard to move if you add a 4th on top.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
We have the futures to add to be able to move contracts like Byron, Weal, Kulak... if we want too. Not easy but not impossible. Other teams are also looking to do that as well so we will have to wait and see. This conversation started with Weal... One year deal with a low cap hit is not hard to move if you add a 4th on top.

It has to make sense for us as well. Moving Weal gives very little relief. If we have to pay a premium, and of course it depends on if another team is even interested, is it worth it? It’s the contracts like Byron’s that most teams are going to be licking their chops to dump so it could be ugly if we do have to outbid others to dump bad contracts. As for your previous comment about Tampa which I seen in an edited post by you, they very well could be in a lot of trouble. That’s why I’m saying it would be smart for teams with cap to stay patient and see what happens.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It has to make sense for us as well. Moving Weal gives very little relief. If we have to pay a premium, and of course it depends on if another team is even interested, is it worth it. It’s the contracts like Byron’s that most teams are going to be licking their chops to dump so it could be ugly if we do have to outbid others to dump bad contracts. As for your previous comment about Tampa which I seen in an edited post by you, they very well could be in a lot of trouble.

There is a price to move contracts and the ones with more term like Byron is more difficult. Weal? I don't see that being a huge problem. And I think Kulak is easier to move... you might say he sucks but not so sure other GM's see it that way. He is a great depth piece and his AAV is not terrible for two more years. Honestly, I think Bergevin prefers to keep him.. he loves depth on D in case of injuries and he is not wrong

Tampa is just not at the spot where they want to include a 1st to move Johnson yet. We are in stall mode so once the NHL/NHLPA figures out details for the next season, we will start to see more trades again. Difficult yes but it comes down to what futures you want to dangle to make the move. We seen a taste of that with the M Staal trade but not all GM's are prepared to go that far yet.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
There is a price to move contracts and the ones with more term like Byron is more difficult. Weal? I don't see that being a huge problem. And I think Kulak is easier to move... you might say he sucks but not so sure other GM's see it that way. He is a great depth piece and his AAV is not terrible for two more years. Honestly, I think Bergevin prefers to keep him.. he loves depth on D in case of injuries and he is not wrong

Tampa is just not at the spot where they want to include a 1st to move Johnson yet. We are in stall mode so once the NHL/NHLPA figures out details for the next season, we will start to see more trades again. Difficult yes but it comes down to what futures you want to dangle to make the move.

I think Tampa would pay for the flight tickets, Johnson’s housing for a year, and give up a first if it meant they could dump his contract without taking back salary or retention.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think Tampa would pay for the flight tickets, Johnson’s housing for a year, and give up a first if it meant they could dump his contract without taking back salary or retention.

I think they would include the 1st as well but at last moment. I'm curious to see the trade movement once the season is confirmed. Teams will add futures to move contracts and it's a strategy to wait for some.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I think they would include the 1st as well but at last moment. I'm curious to see the trade movement once the season is confirmed. Teams will add futures to move contracts and it's a strategy to wait for some.

I don’t think a lot of teams have a choice but to wait until we see a season start to do something at this point. I’m generally curious on what a team like Tampa can even do. They have 3 good RFA’s needing to be signed, but being handicapped and unable to sign Sergachev has to be nerve racking because it leaves them exposed to selling players way under market price unless something changes. If I was Ottawa and didn’t have a cheap owner, I’d be cocking up an offersheet as we speak.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don’t think a lot of teams have a choice but to wait until we see a season start to do something at this point. I’m generally curious on what a team like Tampa can even do. They have 3 good RFA’s needing to be signed, but being handicapped and unable to sign Sergachev has to be nerve racking because it’s leaves them exposed to selling players way under market price unless something changes. If I was Ottawa and didn’t have a cheap owner, I’d be cocking up an offersheet as we speak.

Agree on this. Tampa has to move $6M - $8M in order to sign Sergachev and Cirelli on bridge deals. So that's Johnson and one more contract (Killorn maybe). I don't think many teams are lining up for Johnson but Killorn could be traded for decent value. Both Johnson and Byron need futures on top in order to move them. Johnson has a higher cap hit and one more year in term. I doubt we have to include a 1st to move Byron but maybe we have to include a 2nd.

Here is a decent debate... Does it take a 1st to move both of them?

* Johnson has 0.54 pts/game over the last two seasons.
$5M AAV for 4 more years

* Byron has 0.48 pts/game over the last two season (less games played though).
$3.4M AAV for 3 more years

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Agree on this. Tampa has to move $6M - $8M in order to sign Sergachev and Cirelli on bridge deals. So that's Johnson and one more contract (Killorn maybe). I don't think many teams are lining up for Johnson but Killorn could be traded for decent value. Both Johnson and Byron need futures on top in order to move them. Johnson has a higher cap hit and one more year in term. I doubt we have to include a 1st to move Byron but maybe we have to include a 2nd.

Here is a decent debate... Does it take a 1st to move both of them?

* Johnson has 0.54 pts/game over the last two seasons.
$5M AAV for 4 more years

* Byron has 0.48 pts/game over the last two season (less games played though).
$3.4M AAV for 3 more years

Johnson takes a first forsure. Even with a first at the moment, I doubt a team would be interested in it. There’s to much term and he’s overpaid by almost 50%. I’d consider him unmovable. Byron would cost a first because of the current state of the league, and even tho he’s a good depth piece, the term sucks as well.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Was there not a report from October that confirmed that at least 20 teams are unable to make room on account of the cap? If so, it should a buyer’s market and you can only unload contracts by grossly overpaying and/or adding toxicity, goes without saying.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

Byron is from the Ottawa region, no?

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

I call BS.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Weal and a 4th rounder for a AHL guy? Might get a bite but we would need some activity on the trade market again. Stall mode until the details of the next season is figured out it seems.

If it gets rid of Claude’s weird obsession with putting Weal out on the power play, then I’m one hundred and fifty percent behind it... He’s addition by subtraction at this point.

Byron is the guy who needs to go now. I’ve always been a fan of the guy, but never a fan of his contract. I’d package him with a third (or even a 2nd) to free up the space to sign a tough guy for the fourth line like Matt Martin. Martin I think would fit very well and add that meanness to the fourth line (giving us a physical guy on every line)... after that have a look around at the trade deadline and see what was available.

Drouin - Suzuki - Toffoli
Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Kotkaniemi - Anderson
Martin - Evans - Armia

Chiarot - Weber
Edmundson - Petry
Romanov - Fleury

Price
Allen

That’s a big, tough lineup, filled with talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->