Trade Speculation...

enigma257

Dec 21, 2013
Do these deals make PA Raiders buyers or sellers?

It's a very good question.

I don't see Valcourt, Brooks and Coughlan putting them over the top. Winther has been injured but he's a goal scorer and they're hard to find. Neither Brooks nor Valcourt are big offensive types. The exchange of d-men doesn't make them any better on the back end.

Cheveldave is rated at like #26 in the WHL. I don't know how you can win much with that kind of tending. I sense they are going to be buyers now. They have added some grit but still need more pieces.

MBJets

Dec 22, 2003
Visit site
Good point!! I recall that Eakin trade now in Kootenay's Memorial Cup year.
Seem to recall that Hamonic didn't play much in the regular season for Brandon after the shoulder injury at the WJC.

Yes he played 10 regular season games. 15 playoff games plus memorial cup games was a steep price of:
Dallas Ehrhardt
1st Rnd '10
2nd Rnd '10
2nd Rnd '11

So Ferland was a steal at one 1st round pick

Glen Erickson

Oct 16, 2005
Yes he played 10 regular season games. 15 playoff games plus memorial cup games was a steep price of:
Dallas Ehrhardt
1st Rnd '10
2nd Rnd '10
2nd Rnd '11

So Ferland was a steal at one 1st round pick

To get a real sense of what Moose Jaw gained, here are the draft picks (unless one of the picks was traded by MJ before either the 2010 or 2011 Bantam Draft...but I don't think that happened):
1st Rd '10: Torrin White (in his 3rd full season with MJ)
2nd Rd '10: Spencer Morse (now with Westside Warriors of the BCHL)
2nd rd '11: Josh Uhrich (in his 2nd season with MJ)

Yeh...it sure does make Ferland look like a steal. Agreed! But, his contribution in Saskatoon was pretty much an under achievement, along with the entire group there. I know there was an injury along the way, but...sheesh

Last edited:

Glen Erickson

Oct 16, 2005
What does Swift Current have to add to gain the edge on Edmonton and Calgary?
Part of this question has been answered today...

The Saskatoon Blades have dealt 1993-born forward Nathan Burns and a 7th round draft pick (2014) to the Swift Current Broncos.

The Blades acquired forward's Connor Sanvido, Wyatt Sloboshan, a 2nd round pick (2014) and a conditional 3rd round draft pick (2015) from the Broncos.

enigma257

Dec 21, 2013
Swift has filled a need but still have a couple more..

Isn't it just like Molleken to go out and recover a bunch in the Valcourt deal and now the Burns deal. He used them for a season including the Memorial Cup, and got almost everything back. Both he and McCrimmon appear to be the best at managing their assets..

MBJets

Dec 22, 2003
Visit site
To get a real sense of what Moose Jaw gained, here are the draft picks (unless one of the picks was traded by MJ before either the 2010 or 2011 Bantam Draft...but I don't think that happened):
1st Rd '10: Torrin White (in his 3rd full season with MJ)
2nd Rd '10: Spencer Morse (now with Westside Warriors of the BCHL)
2nd rd '11: Josh Uhrich (in his 2nd season with MJ)

Yeh...it sure does make Ferland look like a steal. Agreed! But, his contribution in Saskatoon was pretty much an under achievement, along with the entire group there. I know there was an injury along the way, but...sheesh

I think the lack of games Ferland played before being assigned back to Brandon hurt him but he put up good numbers 29pts in 26gms and he played a very physical game to.

Glen Erickson

Oct 16, 2005
I think the lack of games Ferland played before being assigned back to Brandon hurt him but he put up good numbers 29pts in 26gms and he played a very physical game to.

Tough year for the kid, I suppose. Abbottsford, Brandon, Saskatoon. The off-ice hassles. Then too much time off for the Blades before the Mem Cup, after most of the group disappeared, especially the veterans, against Medicine Hat...

Glen Erickson

Oct 16, 2005
Swift has filled a need but still have a couple more..

Isn't it just like Molleken to go out and recover a bunch in the Valcourt deal and now the Burns deal. He used them for a season including the Memorial Cup, and got almost everything back. Both he and McCrimmon appear to be the best at managing their assets..
Neither GM is afraid to pull the trigger...

MBJets

Dec 22, 2003
Visit site
So less than week away form the WHL trade deadline, do you have a feeling of what your team might do and involving what players?

dmortens

Jan 5, 2014
Kelowna
I can't see the Rockets messing with their chemistry too much. They have great goaltending and defence, but could maybe use a goal scorer. If they can't acquire someone for only draft picks, I have trouble picking who they might trade. Maybe more of a grit player like Rigby or Heffley, but I wouldn't want them to leave a void on that front.

kh107262

Jan 5, 2014
Red Deer Rebels trade deadline 2014

I wonder if Brent Sutter will realize that you need to load up in order to win. If you are not a top tier team in the league by the midway point then you need to trade assets (Bartosak, Dieno, Sutter, and Gaudet) in order to load up with future draft picks. With the recent trade of Dumba for 3 - 2nd round picks this is the right direction. I believe the Rebels could receive at least a 1st & 2nd if we package Bartosak and another player(s). The Vancouver Giants last year made a great trade with the Blades by acquiring their 2014 1st round pick for Nathan Burns... Good player but barely an all-star. That pick this year could be the first overall pick. Something to discuss...

Sammy225

Aug 9, 2011
I can't see the Wheaties making a huge splash. One thing I could see them do is trading Curtis Honey. Papierney looks like he is ready to step up and be the every day guy. They may also do some minor tweaking to their blue line.

Jamie Benn

NHL Draft Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2008
At The Rink
Travis Brown from the Warriors to the Royals, massive deal. I personally think this sets the Royals blueline over the top.

arsmaster*

Travis Brown from the Warriors to the Royals, massive deal. I personally think this sets the Royals blueline over the top.

When Hicketts gets back, they're loaded.

What a good addition, fits in well.

Can't wait to make the trip down Island soon to watch them now.

Glen Erickson

Oct 16, 2005
The deal should rejuvenate Travis Brown. Sure like the overall size on the Royals blueline. Gotta know the doubleheader Jan. 17 & 18 against Kelowna will be a great hockey weekend in Victoria.

MBJets

Dec 22, 2003
Visit site
I can't see the Wheaties making a huge splash. One thing I could see them do is trading Curtis Honey. Papierney looks like he is ready to step up and be the every day guy. They may also do some minor tweaking to their blue line.

I can see the Wheat Kings maybe making a deal for 16 or 17 year old defensemen if they can convert one of there good forwards into a good young defensemen.

But can't see them trading Honey until the end of the year. They could not run without a back up goaltender. When Honey was injured they ran with a midget backup until they traded for Christopher Tai but when Honey was healthy they traded Tia to Medicine Hat. So unless they get a backup as a part of the deal for Honey.

enigma257

Dec 21, 2013
The pats are another team on the bubble. They have four high end players in Stephenson, Klimchuk, Leier, and Stevenson. All of their names have been mentioned in trade talks. They could be real king makers should they go that route. Their defence is young and goaltending is a question mark. They would be better served moving assets. Building around Sam Steel would make more sense.

Vancouver/Saskatoon/Brandon Note:

Brandon gets Saskatoon's highest place draft pick in the 2014 draft. A clause McCrimmon put in on the Walker deal was if Saskatoon's first pick was higher than theirs, the picks would flip.. What this means is that if Saskatoon were to get first pick over all they would flip places with Brandon giving Brandon the first overall. Saskatoon would get Brandon's first pick which would then go to Vancouver. A pretty brilliant move by McCrimmon.

Glen Erickson

Oct 16, 2005
Confirmed today that Minnesota Wild have sent (loaned) Mat Dumba to the Portland Winterhawks.

Does this acquisition by the 'Hawks potentially influence any of the other top teams in the Western Conference?

BillP

Oct 24, 2012
Canada
Confirmed today that Minnesota Wild have sent (loaned) Mat Dumba to the Portland Winterhawks.

Does this acquisition by the 'Hawks potentially influence any of the other top teams in the Western Conference?

No 1st round draft picks, no problem.

Hordichuk_24

I can't see the Rockets messing with their chemistry too much. They have great goaltending and defence, but could maybe use a goal scorer. If they can't acquire someone for only draft picks, I have trouble picking who they might trade. Maybe more of a grit player like Rigby or Heffley, but I wouldn't want them to leave a void on that front.

Sounds like the Rockets are about to add Marek Tvrdon to the mix. That would force them to move Franko. No way Cooke or Bell are going anywhere.

MBJets

Dec 22, 2003
Visit site
The pats are another team on the bubble. They have four high end players in Stephenson, Klimchuk, Leier, and Stevenson. All of their names have been mentioned in trade talks. They could be real king makers should they go that route. Their defence is young and goaltending is a question mark. They would be better served moving assets. Building around Sam Steel would make more sense.

Vancouver/Saskatoon/Brandon Note:

Brandon gets Saskatoon's highest place draft pick in the 2014 draft. A clause McCrimmon put in on the Walker deal was if Saskatoon's first pick was higher than theirs, the picks would flip.. What this means is that if Saskatoon were to get first pick over all they would flip places with Brandon giving Brandon the first overall. Saskatoon would get Brandon's first pick which would then go to Vancouver. A pretty brilliant move by McCrimmon.

There is no mention of the Brandon Saskatoon pick swap as part of the deal. This is copied out of the WHL website

05/03/12

Brandon

Brenden Walker
2nd Rnd '13 (cond.)

Saskatoon

2nd Rnd '12
2nd Rnd '13
3rd Rnd '14

arsmaster*

Adam Tambellini to Calgary from Portland for a 1st rounder, he's reporting too.

Portland gets a 1st back to help from their sanctions, and Calgary gets a skilled forward with speed.

Good trade for both I think. I wonder why Tambellini hasn't played for Portland?

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
Sounds like the Rockets are about to add Marek Tvrdon to the mix. That would force them to move Franko. No way Cooke or Bell are going anywhere.

Franko to Kootenay for a 6th this year and a 3rd next year.

Tvrdon for a 2nd this year.

Both just announced by the team.

Hordichuk_24

Franko to Kootenay for a 6th this year and a 3rd next year.

Tvrdon for a 2nd this year.

Both just announced by the team.

Yup, just saw that. Sucks for the Giants in the sense they had a deal in place with Kelowna last season for Tvrdon prior to Tvrdon suffering that arm infection. The Giants had a nice package in return including a 1st round pick. Then again at least they get something for a player they haven't had all season long. Don Hay didn't want him back anyway so it wasn't going to work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad