Trade Speculation...

Glen Erickson

Oct 16, 2005
'Dub Trade Deadline is Jan. 10. What team needs what?

Is Kelowna deep enough to continue its torrid pace through the second half?

What Western Conference team can challenge by adding a player or two?

Will Portland's trade for Matt Dumba reap any benefits this season?

Is Edmonton the Eastern Conference's best again this season?

What do Calgary and Swift current need to challenge?

Chime in everybody! ;)

Hipfan

Nov 27, 2009
For Calgary:

If Jaynen Rissling is indeed gone for the year with a torn ligament, the Hitmen have an opening for another defenceman and an overage spot. Since the GM is Mike Moore (and not Kelly Kisio), I have no idea what will happen - will Moore swing a trade? More importantly, what's out there and who is available?

Those factors could determine whether Calgary swings a trade or not as much as where they are in the standings I would think.

Glen Erickson

Oct 16, 2005
For Calgary:

If Jaynen Rissling is indeed gone for the year with a torn ligament, the Hitmen have an opening for another defenceman and an overage spot. Since the GM is Mike Moore (and not Kelly Kisio), I have no idea what will happen - will Moore swing a trade? More importantly, what's out there and who is available?

Those factors could determine whether Calgary swings a trade or not as much as where they are in the standings I would think.
Brandon has recent history in terms of trading elite guys who are signed by their NHL team (Brayden Schenn, Michael Ferland).
I wonder about defenceman Ryan Pulock, who is signed by the Islanders.
Does a WHL powerhouse think he might help? Or, does a team like Calgary with a hole on D look to do something?

tradebreaker

Dec 20, 2013
Brandon

I don't suspect Brandon to trade Pulock. They will ask for prospects or 1st year players with ALOT of upside. Pulock is mentoring Ryan Pilon right now. Brandon will be a powerhouse in a 1-3 years and will likely look to make a run at the championship in that time period. They have only five 19-year olds on the squad this year. One of those are a goalie and an another an import. Very rare for a team to carry a 20 year old import so Richard Nezcheleb (32 GP, 19G, 8A = 27pts) could be available if the Wheat Kings decide to add for next year. Curtis Honey may be on the move aswell, he has missed a significant amount of time with a shoulder injury. But would be a great insurance plan for a championship contender. Papirny has shown he can carry the load and has the wheat kings 6 points back of the Eastern Division leading Broncos, with 3 games in hand. They may not make a move at all. The trades of Schenn and Ferland are a little construed. Schenn was a Saskatoon boy who lorne thought would be the glory boy. Instead they were swept by Kooteney in the 2nd round. This trade actually cost the blades a lot and set them back last year when the hosted the memorial cup. The Ferland trade was a panick move as the players available last year weren't of great quality. So unless there is 100% guarantee that Pulock will be playing in the NHL next year he won't be dealt.

Oilers Apologist

Jun 28, 2013
Edmonton, AB
If Edmonton is going to make another good run they will need to bring in a 1st or 2nd line scorer, as well as some more experienced depth players. They should also look at a top 4 defenceman.

edmontonfan59

Nov 9, 2009
If Edmonton is going to make another good run they will need to bring in a 1st or 2nd line scorer, as well as some more experienced depth players. They should also look at a top 4 defenceman.

What/who would you have to give up for that? You bring in a D then there's 8 again, who goes?

BWK Fan 97

Apr 1, 2013
On The Prairies
I agree. Pulock has meant everything to the Brandon Wheat Kings the last four years and it really wouldn't make sense to trade him, as they are in a fight for the playoffs. I could see the Wheat Kings trading Eric Roy, as Ryan Pilon is playing so well. Roy could net you a solid return and he really wouldn't be terribly missed.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
I believe the Royals have already done their wheeling and dealing after acquiring Blomqvist and dealing Harrison.

Who knows, If anything we will be buyers as we're headed to the playoffs as of right now and it's been our best season yet as the Royals.

MBJets

Dec 22, 2003
Visit site
I agree. Pulock has meant everything to the Brandon Wheat Kings the last four years and it really wouldn't make sense to trade him, as they are in a fight for the playoffs. I could see the Wheat Kings trading Eric Roy, as Ryan Pilon is playing so well. Roy could net you a solid return and he really wouldn't be terribly missed.

I agree, that the Wheat Kings won't trade Pulock but they may consider trading Roy if the return involved a good young d-man.

The Wheat I think would only trade Roy for a defensemen because they have a strong bunch of young forwards and more coming with Patrick, Kasprick and Lewis coming along as soon as next year.

Jamie Benn

NHL Draft Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2008
At The Rink
I believe the Royals have already done their wheeling and dealing after acquiring Blomqvist and dealing Harrison.

Who knows, If anything we will be buyers as we're headed to the playoffs as of right now and it's been our best season yet as the Royals.

Maybe move one defenseman but I can't see them moving anyone.

sunsoutgunsout

#redacted
Jan 14, 2013
PA NEEDS help on D. I'd love for them to go after Bartosak to replace that **** Cheveldave, but I doubt the organization is willing to admit they were wrong on him so quickly. Pulock would be great, but really ANYONE on D would help a lot.

enigma257

Dec 21, 2013
I kind of see the East Division this way:

P.A. - were supposed to challenge for conference. have dropped of the table. Probably jobs on the line and I would guess > buyers

Swift Current - usually start strong and taper off. Want to stay on top > buyers

Brandon - have made a big splash getting Pilon. Minor tweaks > stand pat

Regina - only 5 points out of 1st place with games in hand much like Brandon. Have steadily gotten better but need some help. Minor tweaks > stand pat

Saskatoon. Definitely > sellers

Moose Jaw > under performing > sellers

League wide I see Kamloops, Lethbridge, Moose Jaw being big king makers. To a lesser degree Saskatoon, PG, and Red Deer. There may be a couple surprises in this process. If the P.A. Raiders have a poor USA swing they might go into retool mode. Starting with Morrisey they would have a ton of trade bait. The Regina Pats have rookie goaltending and the overall depth of the team may need improving. If they take a step back they also have a plethora of high end talent. We will soon see how teams evaluate where they are, what they need, and what they're willing to pay.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC

P.A. - were supposed to challenge for conference. have dropped of the table. Probably jobs on the line and I would guess > buyers

Swift Current - usually start strong and taper off. Want to stay on top > buyers

Regina - only 5 points out of 1st place with games in hand much like Brandon. Have steadily gotten better but need some help. Minor tweaks > stand pat

League wide I see Kamloops, Lethbridge, Moose Jaw being big king makers. To a lesser degree Saskatoon, PG, and Red Deer. There may be a couple surprises in this process. If the P.A. Raiders have a poor USA swing they might go into retool mode. Starting with Morrisey they would have a ton of trade bait. The Regina Pats have rookie goaltending and the overall depth of the team may need improving. If they take a step back they also have a plethora of high end talent. We will soon see how teams evaluate where they are, what they need, and what they're willing to pay.

I can't see P.A. letting Morrissey go, not unless the other team gives a massive overpayment.

MBJets

Dec 22, 2003
Visit site

I can still see the Wheat Kings making a deal they are very stocked at the forward position with 4 forwards rotating into 2 spots. With Patrick and Kaspick almost guaranteed a spot next year.

They are probably going to be short on defense next year.

Not sure what WHL teams are deep with young defense and short up front that Wheat Kings could deal with?

Glen Erickson

Oct 16, 2005
Unfortunately for the entire WHL, Saskatoon set the bar ( :sarcasm: ) with a couple of ridiculous trades in recent years (Schenn / Ferland). So, the asking price for elite guys today is probably more of a deterrent.

Morrissey, Pulock, Rielly (if he was in MJ)...these guys would command crazy packages of players and draft picks.

MBJets

Dec 22, 2003
Visit site
Unfortunately for the entire WHL, Saskatoon set the bar ( :sarcasm: ) with a couple of ridiculous trades in recent years (Schenn / Ferland). So, the asking price for elite guys today is probably more of a deterrent.

Morrissey, Pulock, Rielly (if he was in MJ)...these guys would command crazy packages of players and draft picks.

As a Wheat King fan the Schenn trade I agree was a big return but not at all for Ferland. He brought (1) 1st round pick (17th overall) for a guy that could score goals and add toughest it was a good deal for the Blades.

There have been other steep prices paid like the Wheat Kings to Moose Jaw for Travis Hamonic and Kootney to Swift Current for Eakin.

I cant see Pulock going any where maybe Roy for the right price which would be a young d-man.

enigma257

Dec 21, 2013
P.A. needs to get out of it's funk pretty soon. They've been on the shnide for 7 games and sit 9th in the conference. They still have to do the west cost trip which is hugely tough. If they think it's their year they will have to be buyers, big buyers! They need goaltending and defence so maybe they start looking at Red Deer as dance partner. Without some significant moves the Raiders will be in some difficulty.

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
I think Kelowna (Hamilton) tries to get deeper with some a bit more experience. This was not really meant to be the year that this team was at the top, but they are overachieving and could use a more experienced player or two. However, Severson being sent back from the WJC they (should be good on D) and could continue on their pace, but I would still like to see at least 1 sniper added. Tend to not score enough goals against the better teams (mind you, only lost 3 games all year).

edit...just looked at the stats and have the least goals against and 2nd most goals for in WHL but would still like to see a piece added (true sniper/scorer)...

enigma257

Dec 21, 2013
P.A has made two deals. One with Saskatoon and one with Calgary. Calder Brooks and Valcourt to P.A. Busenius to S'Toon and Winther to Calgary. There some picks included as well

Glen Erickson

Oct 16, 2005
As a Wheat King fan the Schenn trade I agree was a big return but not at all for Ferland. He brought (1) 1st round pick (17th overall) for a guy that could score goals and add toughest it was a good deal for the Blades.

There have been other steep prices paid like the Wheat Kings to Moose Jaw for Travis Hamonic and Kootney to Swift Current for Eakin.

I cant see Pulock going any where maybe Roy for the right price which would be a young d-man.
Good point!! I recall that Eakin trade now in Kootenay's Memorial Cup year.
Seem to recall that Hamonic didn't play much in the regular season for Brandon after the shoulder injury at the WJC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad