Confirmed with Link: Trade: Sauve for Rob... Flick?

Rookie Chargers

Sep 17, 2005
Quebec
I can comment on Sauve because I've seen him over 25 times in Providence and follow him, but nothing on Flick...but asked someone about this with much more insight than me and knows both players and he told me the Bruins got a guy and gave Sauve a change of scenary.

I'd think they would have liked to get a pick back but got a body and the real bottom line on this trade is it hurts Providence from winning the Calder Cup:madfire: and for those who are going to make a comment about that go **** yourself in advance- I go to these games and want them to win it

Pas moi Dan, for the longest time I have thought that the Bruins don't care about what happens at the AHL level.

Winning is like charity, it starts at home.

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
So we traded a skilled but injury prone young forward for a goon who isn't even good at fighting. Only in hockey. Well played, Chia! :handclap:

To be fair, Flick had showed some scoring potential when he played for the Majors in 2010-2011, 27 goals and 57 points in 68 games.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/rob_flick/

But 2012 was a down year, only 13 points in 45 games at the AHL level. Hopefully it's just an adjustment period and he's not a perm AAAA level player.

Serpico4ever

Jul 4, 2010
Brighton, MA
Stopped over at HockeyFights to check out Rob Flick's fights at the AHL level. He literally didn't win a single one. He looks like a lefty that keeps trying to throw right. I checked out his fights because he does nothing else worthwhile on the ice.

For anyone that doesn't believe what happens in Providence matters, go check out The Senators success amidst all those injuries, or WBS, or Hershey, or Nazem Kadri; it helps to have a good farm team that breeds success instead of a bunch of guys that just lose and get used to the taste. Remember when the Baby B's were last good? That was when Krejci, Tuukka, Versteeg, Boychuck, Maquaid, and Marchand were all on the club for a few year span and doing really well. That success transfers on the call ups.

Edit: forgot Sobotka! Andrew Alberts and so on. They generated a bunch of NHL players. Last few years, not so much, and every time someone gets injured its all "the bruins need to make a trade!" when the B's used to just go down 95 and get a player.

Last edited:

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Stopped over at HockeyFights to check out Rob Flick's fights at the AHL level. He literally didn't win a single one. He looks like a lefty that keeps trying to throw right. I checked out his fights because he does nothing else worthwhile on the ice.

For anyone that doesn't believe what happens in Providence matters, go check out The Senators success amidst all those injuries, or WBS, or Hershey, or Nazem Kadri; it helps to have a good farm team that breeds success instead of a bunch of guys that just lose and get used to the taste. Remember when the Baby B's were last good? That was when Krejci, Tuukka, Versteeg, Boychuck, Maquaid, and Marchand were all on the club for a few year span and doing really well. That success transfers on the call ups.

The Providence Bruins are tied for first in the AHL's Eastern Confernence with Syracuse and Springfield, and second overall in the league. If they go into a tailspin and bomb out of the playoffs because they lost Max Sauve (when the Falcons have literally lost half their roster to call-ups to Columbus, but have the most successful team in their history), it doesn't say much for their intestinal fortitude.

Part of learning the pro game in the minors is learning to deal with adversity, including losing your best players on a routine basis. That's life in the AHL.

Serpico4ever

Jul 4, 2010
Brighton, MA
Agreed,Sauve is the better prospect but you have to make room for our newer more super awesome prospects....

Like the constantly injured Jared Knight? Like the oft injured Tommy Cross? I think the Bruins did because it was either trade Sauve for a shot in the dark that someone on the scouting staff remembers fondly from the OHL clips, or lose him for nothing. My big gripe is that he never really got a shot, and I'd rather the B's kept and then lost Sauve, or at least got a 7th or another teams disappointment.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Pas moi Dan, for the longest time I have thought that the Bruins don't care about what happens at the AHL level.

Winning is like charity, it starts at home.

Sweeney actually really wants to win down there (although I think he wants to win at everything); and Cassidy forget it- he wants it bad.

I keep forgetting about Exelby- seems like a great guy, looks after some of the kids and they speak very highly of him....never seems to enter into any consideration for promotion which seems odd considering he played quite a bit of NHL games. I'm going Saturday in Manchester so may try and focus on him to see what gives.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
The Providence Bruins are tied for first in the AHL's Eastern Confernence with Syracuse and Springfield, and second overall in the league. If they go into a tailspin and bomb out of the playoffs because they lost Max Sauve (when the Falcons have literally lost half their roster to call-ups to Columbus, but have the most successful team in their history), it doesn't say much for their intestinal fortitude.

Part of learning the pro game in the minors is learning to deal with adversity, including losing your best players on a routine basis. That's life in the AHL.

This isn't about an injury, it's a quizzical exchange.

People are just trying to figure out the upside of this trade. I'm fine with trading a skill guy like Max for a defensive forward of the Nate DiCasmirro or Ben Guite or Calle Ridderwall mold. This guy just seems like a lunkhead who you wouldn't dress in the postseason anyhow, and the kind of dolt who can cost you a game with a stupid penalty.

Serpico4ever

Jul 4, 2010
Brighton, MA

This is the first year in a long time they've done anything good, why screw with it for nothing? Success isn't just regular season either, it's post season success too.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Like the constantly injured Jared Knight? Like the oft injured Tommy Cross? I think the Bruins did because it was either trade Sauve for a shot in the dark that someone on the scouting staff remembers fondly from the OHL clips, or lose him for nothing. My big gripe is that he never really got a shot, and I'd rather the B's kept and then lost Sauve, or at least got a 7th or another teams disappointment.

He got plenty of shots - heck, he got called up to the big club last year, and got injured two minutes into his first shift.

I like Sauve, I was sorry to see him go, but some people are reacting like he owed them money or something.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
This is the first year in a long time they've done anything good, why screw with it for nothing? Success isn't just regular season either, it's post season success too.

Screw with it? Losing Sauve is going to kill the P-Bruins? Seriously? Delicate little club they've got down there.

Serpico4ever

Jul 4, 2010
Brighton, MA
He got plenty of shots - heck, he got called up to the big club last year, and got injured two minutes into his first shift.

I like Sauve, I was sorry to see him go, but some people are reacting like he owed them money or something.

Exactly. One shot.

Screw with it? Losing Sauve is going to kill the P-Bruins? Seriously? Delicate little club they've got down there.

It's more about losing the player for nothing. Make room with a guy that doesn't matter, say Tyler Randell. Other than making room, I can't see any reason for this trade.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Exactly. One shot.

It's more about losing the player for nothing. Make room with a guy that doesn't matter, say Tyler Randell. Other than making room, I can't see any reason for this trade.

He's at the end of his ELC this spring. I doubt they'd re-sign him. They have several other forward prospects who have passed him on the depth chart, and Jared Knight is about to join the Providence lineup. Give him a fresh start with Chicago and maybe he'll have a better shot.

Serpico4ever

Jul 4, 2010
Brighton, MA
He's at the end of his ELC this spring. I doubt they'd re-sign him. They have several other forward prospects who have passed him on the depth chart, and Jared Knight is about to join the Providence lineup. Give him a fresh start with Chicago and maybe he'll have a better shot.

That's what I mean though. I'd rather his ELC ran up after this season for nothing, than trade him now for nothing, and if they need to make space then move a guy that's not contributing or bust someone down to the ECHL.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Knight and Khokhlachev on same line at practice not sure if Mark Divver is tweeting but covers the Providence scene and does a great job on all things. Tardiff on other side of Koko

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but I think the fact that Sauve was a FA after this season might have played into this.

I'm not sure if he ever really found his footing in this organization, and I'm not sure he was going to be re-signed by Boston.

They may have just wanted to get something for him, something that they thought had some value in Flick. Chia clearly indicated that they have had their eye on Flick for a while now, and he also has a couple of years left on his deal after this season.

Sauve was skilled, but I don't know where his place was in this organization. He had been passed by other prospects, and he couldn't stay on the ice. This really doesn't surprise me, and I think this trade has zero positive/negative net impact on the Bruins going forward.

nycbruins*

Sauve wasn't even doing much in providence. Some people just gotta complain.

Still angry abouy losing ivan huml or martin samuelsson?

I doubt they wanted to qualify him anyway.

Kaoz*

This isn't about an injury, it's a quizzical exchange.

People are just trying to figure out the upside of this trade. I'm fine with trading a skill guy like Max for a defensive forward of the Nate DiCasmirro or Ben Guite or Calle Ridderwall mold. This guy just seems like a lunkhead who you wouldn't dress in the postseason anyhow, and the kind of dolt who can cost you a game with a stupid penalty.

But he does seem to bring a physical game. I find myself wondering how he is in the hitting department. Clutterbuck doesn't produce offensively but he tends to change the momentum of games with his physical play.

Maybe the brass decided they could afford to part with the guy who places 11th in scoring on their roster if it addressed a deficiency in that area? I'm just spitballing.. not really sure what Flick's game is like. Funny name though, so that's cool.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
But he does seem to bring a physical game. I find myself wondering how he is in the hitting department. Clutterbuck doesn't produce offensively but he tends to change the momentum of games with his physical play.

Maybe the brass decided they could afford to part with the guy who places 11th in scoring on their roster if it addressed a deficiency in that area? I'm just spitballing.. not really sure what Flick's game is like. Funny name though, so that's cool.

I don't really feel the PBruins are lacking there. They've got Hanson, Robins, Miller and Exelby who all have a physical aspect to their game. I'm not including Randall, who will drop the gloves but doesn't do much else.

For what it's worth, most on the Blackhawk board seem to say what I suspect about Flick. A lunkhead.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->