Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals 2019-20 PART X

Status
Not open for further replies.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
9M in 2021/22, 6M, 7M, 7M. Need to clear at least 8M. You are also assuming his SB was paid July 1st.
Yes, 31 million total over 5 years, 6.2 million. Not really an assumption, that's the way signing bonuses are put into contracts

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Yes, 31 million total over 5 years, 6.2 million. Not really an assumption, that's the way signing bonuses are put into contracts
Not all. There are different dates, some may be payable Sept 15 others could stipulate 1st day of new league year, isn’t Ryan’s SB payable in May.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Not all. There are different dates, some may be payable Sept 15 others could stipulate 1st day of new league year, isn’t Ryan’s SB payable in May.
Ryan's 2018-19 bonus was paid May 15th, in the 2017-18 season, yes. And that isn't something that is common, may be the only one not paid out in the summer and I would assume there were some other reasons for that.

NHL and NHLPA came to an agreement not to defer payments, so it's very safe to assume Ekblad's bonus has been paid.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
So apparently Edmonton is trying to shed cap space so they can trade for OEL.
Kris Russell has a $4mil cap hit, and is making $1.5mil in real salary next season.

I'd be willing to bet that Kris Russell will be an Ottawa Senator next season.

Reactions: NB613

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Yeah, even in the "new NHL" you will need experience and vets at some point. But we're not there yet. We need to contend for the playoffs first, then make the playoffs every year and become a more serious contender every year. By then, guys like Chabot, Tkachuk, Norris, #3 and #5, etc will have more experience and will be the "vets". Hopefully they'll have that opportunity while they are still young and in their prime. That's why you have to compete sooner than later. Don't wait that Chabot is 28 years old (he will still be good at that age if no major injuries)

Regarding the defense, a lot of things can still change before puck drop. Chabot, Wolanin and Zub are 3 solid pieces that I am counting on (assuming Zub isn't home sick and can adapt to NA and assuming Wolanin can get back to the level he was). Zaitsev could be fine if you don't ask too much of him, which doesn't seem to be a sure thing considering DJ's love for him. There's also Jaros and Lajoie who can play 3rd pairing.

Then what happens? Do we pick a D-man at #5? Would Drysdale or Sanderson be ready right way? Probably not so I'm not counting on that. Will Brannstrom be ready to fully make the jump? JBD and Thomson look like they won't graduate right away. They might want to acquire at least 1 D-man. The hope would be that they make a quantity package for quality.

This is what the roster will look like at the beginning (unless they sign vets). I'm assuming Batherson is fully ready and never looks back. I'm assuming one of Brown or Norris grabs the opportunity. Also assuming the 3rd OA pick makes the team as it seems to have been Dorion's intent since they secured that pick. Keep in mind, we're not competing for the cup and keep in mind there's no real 1st/2nd/3rd lines. At forward, Tkachuk, Duclair, Ryan, Brown, Tierney, White, Paul, Anisimov have NHL experience so they have to do their job and help out the younger guys. At D, also several guys with experience.

Tkachuk-3rd OA-Batherson
Duclair-Brown/Norris-Ryan
Brown-Tierney-White
Paul-Chlapik-Balcers
Hawryluk/Anisimov

Chabot-Zaitsev
Wolanin-Zub
Reilly-Jaros
Lajoie

Nilsson/Hogberg

As you can see there's already a LOGJAM brooming, so in theory, we don't need to sign any vets. Guys like Abramov, Formenton, Brown/Norris (the one who didn't make the team), Davidsson and Brannstrom will want/need opportunities to show what they got. Injuries happen but there's a lot of guys that will need auditions. If you sign 2-3 vets, you are BLOCKING the chance to realize your main objective. Like I said, we have to find out what we have in many of these prospects. Many of them are not juniors freshly drafted, they are pro vets now.

Don't forget that outside of the guys I mentionned, there's also the #5 oa pick, the other 1st round pick, the 4 second round picks, JBD, Thomson, Pinto, etc that will still be in the pool and some of them will progress to knock at the door soon so again, comitting to "vets" would be blocking the way. As I have been saying several times in the past, there's a massive logjam coming up.

That roster projection looks just about right to me, given the financial situation, NHL level contracts signed, etc.. I suspect that there will only be 13 forwards on the team, not 14. I also think that the fight for the 4 center spots will be between Tierney, Anisimov, Norris, Chlapik, and L. Brown with the 3rd OA being sent back/down. I suspect that Balcers will beat out Hawyluk for a spot.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
So apparently Edmonton is trying to shed cap space so they can trade for OEL.
Kris Russell has a $4mil cap hit, and is making $1.5mil in real salary next season.

I'd be willing to bet that Kris Russell will be an Ottawa Senator next season.
We bandied about 28OA + Duclair for 14OA + Russell.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
How about a 3 way deal.

Vegas sends Fleury and 29OA to Ottawa for Nilsson
Ottawa retains 40% on Fleury and send him along with 29OA and Gaborik to Toronto for Andersen and 15OA.

Dollars out for Ottawa about 3M this year
Dollars in for Ottawa 3.4M this year and 2.4 next year.

JaredCowen4Norris

Jul 9, 2020
What would people think about trying to get Tuch from Vegas?

I'd move our early second round for him if Vegas is trying to clear cap space for Pietrangelo. He's under contract for the next 5 years at a reasonable $4.75 mil which will be low enough that if we want to move him a few years down the line it will be relatively easy to do so.

Having C. Brown, Tuch, and Batherson on RW would be a solid core to build around + any RW we may draft this year (Raymond :naughty:). Tuch also has the playoff experience from Vegas which would be nice to have as the Sens start competing again.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
What would people think about trying to get Tuch from Vegas?

I'd move our early second round for him if Vegas is trying to clear cap space for Pietrangelo. He's under contract for the next 5 years at a reasonable $4.75 mil which will be low enough that if we want to move him a few years down the line it will be relatively easy to do so.

Having C. Brown, Tuch, and Batherson on RW would be a solid core to build around + any RW we may draft this year (Raymond :naughty:). Tuch also has the playoff experience from Vegas which would be nice to have as the Sens start competing again.

It would take an overpayment.

JaredCowen4Norris

Jul 9, 2020
I’d do that for sure, but I think they’d ask for something dumb like Norris/L.Brown.

Yeah if they're dead set on one of those guys I'd say no. They may also just choose to keep him because his contract really isn't that big of an impediment for them. Just think it's worth Dorion kicking tires on some younger guys who may get squeezed out because of cap issues.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
I think we just need a steady physical two way dman

For free agents there is Tanev Hamonic Gudas and Bogosian. Byfuglien, if he wants to come back, would be a good fit here

If we are trading big assets go for a top 6 forward imo

Reactions: bert

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
Yeah if they're dead set on one of those guys I'd say no. They may also just choose to keep him because his contract really isn't that big of an impediment for them. Just think it's worth Dorion kicking tires on some younger guys who may get squeezed out because of cap issues.

Tkachuk-Byfield-Tuch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad