Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals 2019-20 PART X

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
He would have retired rather than play here, that’s assuming we were not on his no trade list.

Playing in Ottawa isn’t worse than Buffalo, and he’ll be on the Sabres next year. So it seems like he’d rather collect the rest of his salary instead of retire.

He only put contending teams on his NTC because he didn’t think shitty teams would even try to trade for him, hence why he’s in Buffalo now.

Reactions: bert

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Playing in Ottawa isn’t worse than Buffalo, and he’ll be on the Sabres next year. So it seems like he’d rather collect the rest of his salary instead of retire.

He only put contending teams on his NTC because he didn’t think shitty teams would even try to trade for him, hence why he’s in Buffalo now.

I think Buffalo is slightly above Ottawa as a destination of choice. The winter weather alone is very different. They hardly get snow, the taxes are better and the players get less scrutiny. It is also really close to Toronto. I vaguely recall Galley rejecting trades from Buffalo to Ottawa etc.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I think Buffalo is slightly above Ottawa as a destination of choice. The winter weather alone is very different. They hardly get snow, the taxes are better and the players get less scrutiny. It is also really close to Toronto. I vaguely recall Galley rejecting trades from Buffalo to Ottawa etc.

Anyone who thinks Eric Staal is fine playing in Buffalo but would have retired if he was traded to Ottawa is out to lunch.

He clearly wants to collect the rest of what he is owed.

I also don’t think Staal cares about winter weather considering he signed in St. Paul, Minnesota.

And proximity to Toronto? You think that matters? I’m sure Eric and his family are eager to be delayed at the border! It's much easier to get to Toronto from Ottawa on a 45 minute flight than driving from Buffalo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ed Wood

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I do agree with a lot of your points but am just quoting your lineup because it was a long post. First off I dont see Norris/Brown making the team unless they impress the hell out of the team in camp. Then I can also see us trading tierney if he wants his contract based off his production instead of his play.

Some of those log jams only happen if we resign some of our RFA's and just eyeballing the lineup listed above we will be a decent amount below the cap floor. Just based off that we will need to make a move somewhere.

Every year we end up signing players the coaches like to be the coaches favorite. Im just hoping we sign/trade for 1 or 2 guys with actual skill instead of a few lottery tickets

No problem if Norris doesn't make the team as he only has 1 pro season under his belt, but Brown has 2 (with NHL stints too) and if he can't start knocking at the door seriously, we should start being worried. It's not a make or break year but it's getting closer.

Since the 3rd OA should be in the lineup and since you need center spots for Norris/Brown, White and Chlapik, I'd be happy if they trade Tierney instead of waiting that his value plummets.

I'm assuming we re-sign all the RFAs we should be re=signing (Brown, Duclair, etc). You're right about the cap floor though, something might need to happen in that regard

Last edited:

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
No problem if Norris doesn't make the team as he only has 1 pro season under his belt, but Brown has 2 (with NHL tints too) and if he can't start knocking at the door seriously, we should start being worried. It's not a make or break year but it's getting closer.

Since the 3rd OA should be in the lineup and since you need center spots for Norris/Brown, White and Chlapik, I'd be happy if they trade Tierney instead of waiting that his value plummets.

I'm assuming we re-sign all the RFAs we should be re=signing (Brown, Duclair, etc). You're right about the cap floor though, something might need to happen in that regard

The organizational exit meetings clearly stated that they felt Norris was ready and Brown wasn't ... I hope they are realistic 8 months later that they let the players earn positions... but they were clear that Brown and Brann needed more development time.

Reactions: Cosmix

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
The organizational exit meetings clearly stated that they felt Norris was ready and Brown wasn't ... I hope they are realistic 8 months later that they let the players earn positions... but they were clear that Brown and Brann needed more development time.

Hopefully NOT another full season for Brown.

I also talked 2 times in previous posts that it will be hard to keep Norris off the team.

And well, so long without hockey, no idea when we will play our next game. So we don't know what this covid situation will have changed for the Senators.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

I also talked 2 times in previous posts that it will be hard to keep Norris off the team.

And well, so long without hockey, no idea when we will play our next game. So we don't know what this covid situation will have changed for the Senators.

The exit meetings didn't say Brown needed another year ... just that he wasn't ready. They did say Norris WAS ready. I assume they wouldn't stick to those statements if Norris showed up "slowed" and Brown was tearing things up.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

I actually think Norris is the most likley to go back down between him L. Brown and Formenton. Mostly due to positional need/responsibility/age and where they are in their development.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002

pretty sure I read an athletic article about why he decided to report Buffalo rather than retire & it implied he likely would not have done it with other bottom feeders.
I’ll try to find it.

Reactions: NB613

SensFan1010

Dec 18, 2019
A line up of :

Raymond - Byfield - Batherson
Chuck- Norris - Duclair
C.Brown- L.Brown- White
Formenton- Tierney - Balcers

Chabot- JBD
Wolanin- Branstron
Thompson- Zaistev
Zub

is pretty promising. I can officially say i am starting to get excited for this team.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
pretty sure I read an athletic article about why he decided to report Buffalo rather than retire & it implied he likely would not have done it with other bottom feeders.
I’ll try to find it.

There was a little more there but this was the gist of it (along with his former teammate in Adams being the GM).
an excerpt from Lebrun’s article in the athletic:

“There was always that veiled, hinted threat with Staal that if the Wild moved him at any trade deadline, without his consent, that if he didn’t like his destination, he might just call it quits. He’s made lots of money in his career — he doesn’t need to chase it if he’s unhappy with his new surroundings.
I don’t know how real that threat ever was, but it was a smart and effective perception to have out there if you’re his agent to ensure he stayed in Minnesota.“

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Buffalo get more snow than Ottawa. That lake effect snow collapses warehouses.

Reactions: Sweatred

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
If Ekblad is actually available (which I'm skeptical about) we need to be all over that. Would be a fantastic partner for Chabot and still has 5YRs left on his deal.

He's got a 7.5M cap hit but is only owed 31M over the next 5YRs due to a front loaded deal and the Panthers already paying a large bonus for 2020/21.

Would offer a ton of prospects/picks to get it done. And he couldn't say no because his NTC only kicks in starting next year!

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
If Ekblad is actually available (which I'm skeptical about) we need to be all over that. Would be a fantastic partner for Chabot and still has 5YRs left on his deal.

He's got a 7.5M cap hit but is only owed 31M over the next 5YRs due to a front loaded deal and the Panthers already paying a large bonus for 2020/21.

Would offer a ton of prospects/picks to get it done. And he couldn't say no because his NTC only kicks in starting next year!
Seems like a great fit both on the ice and financially, but I don't see what we'd give up for him.

Surely wouldn't trade 3 or 5 for him. What else could we offer them? Lassi+Duclair+NYI 1st++? I feel like so many teams could and would offer a lot more.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Should be on this. Again $ will be a stumbing block to make this kind of deal. If only we had an owner that could actually participate in the NHL.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Hypothetically what would you guys be willing to give up for Ekblad? Your absolute max offer

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Seems like a great fit both on the ice and financially, but I don't see what we'd give up for him.

Surely wouldn't trade 3 or 5 for him. What else could we offer them? Lassi+Duclair+NYI 1st++? I feel like so many teams could and would offer a lot more.

We probably have the most to offer in terms of prospects and picks.

I think Florida may be looking to shed salary now and in the long-term. I see no other reason for them to trade Ekblad.

Hypothetically what would you guys be willing to give up for Ekblad? Your absolute max offer

Brown + JBD + 1st

I'd offer something like Pinto + Thomson + 1st + 2nd

senswon

Quo Tendimus
Aug 1, 2007
Kingstone
No problem if Norris doesn't make the team as he only has 1 pro season under his belt, but Brown has 2 (with NHL tints too) and if he can't start knocking at the door seriously, we should start being worried. It's not a make or break year but it's getting closer.

Why do you think the 3OA is guaranteed to play next year?
Unless its Zee German, I don't think/see how byfield is ready for prime time. Meanwhile, others are second guessing if/when batherson, the AHL MVP, will make the team.

Looking forward to the draft so we can all stop spinning our wheels. Jeez

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
We probably have the most to offer in terms of prospects and picks.

I think Florida may be looking to shed salary now and in the long-term. I see no other reason for them to trade Ekblad.

Brown + JBD + 1st

I'd offer something like Pinto + Thomson + 1st + 2nd
How do we unload 8M to make this happen ?

Reactions: Cosmix

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
5th overall + Colin White + Lassi Thomson + Artem Anisimov for Aaron Ekblad

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Why do you think the 3OA is guaranteed to play next year?
Unless its Zee German, I don't think/see how byfield is ready for prime time. Meanwhile, others are second guessing if/when batherson, the AHL MVP, will make the team.

Looking forward to the draft so we can all stop spinning our wheels. Jeez

Based on Dorion's interview, that seems to be a clear intent. Tkachuk making the team was also a mistake according to this board. So in reality, we have no idea.

Of course, and I don't think it needs to be repeated every time you say something, NOTHING IS GARANTEED. I just go with logic and the information I have. Batherson could have gained 40 pounds of fat during the pandemic, I don't know, maybe he became a cult member, again I don't know. Based on what I know, I am expecting chances are higher that he finally makes the team for good rather than not.

Reactions: senswon

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Who costs 8 mill? Ekblad is owed 11 mill in total over the next 2 season, and only 2 million next season. 6.2 million per year for the next 5 years.
9M in 2021/22, 6M, 7M, 7M. Need to clear at least 8M. You are also assuming his SB was paid July 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad