Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals 2019-20 Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Is Tyler Johnson a bad pickup though? we could probably get him in a nice package and he can play up and down the lineup until the prospects are really ready to take over, guy is a good playoff player as well

He has a NTC which turns into a modified NTC in 2021-22 (Killorns modified NTC kicks in 2020-2021). Essentially Johnson would need to sign off on coming here.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Putting out an offer sheet when the compensation will be a first rounder + is a really bad move when you're a lotto team for the next couple of years.

Sergachev is not worth a top 5 pick, in my opinion.

Serhachev is proven (to a degree), getting better and is young enough to instantly become a core member of the team. You're trading an unknown pick (which will likely take years to develop anyways) for a proven player further ahead in his development. You speed up the rebuild a bit and gain a star player. Its not like the Duchene situation at all.

Reactions: Sweatred

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Also, I think one of Serg/Cirelli are going to be moved. All of the other guys in Tampa have NMCs or NTCs and are in or past the prime of their career. Not sure why they'd wanna leave Tampa.

Sergachev is 22 and still has his entire career ahead of him. He might miss out on a year or two of the playoffs. Then he'd be back and likely for longer than he'd be in Tampa.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Would would you guys want as an add on for taking on Bozak and or Allen? St. Louis looking to free up cap space to resign pietrangelo. Both players have 1 year remaining and have higher cap hit v salary.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Would would you guys want as an add on for taking on Bozak and or Allen? St. Louis looking to free up cap space to resign pietrangelo. Both players have 1 year remaining and have higher cap hit v salary.

I suspect both players have some value, especially if St. Louis retains/takes back a little salary. If we could build something around Tierney and Bozak + Dunn, that's something I'd be intrigued by.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
I suspect both players have some value, especially if St. Louis retains/takes back a little salary. If we could build something around Tierney and Bozak + Dunn, that's something I'd be intrigued by.

Thing is can St. Louis afford to retain salary considering Pietrangelo is going to demand a pretty penny to resign and Dunn probably getting a raise as well

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
i don't think tampa will move serge

can see other guys being moved out like Johnson

They can move these players

Kucherov
Point
Vasileskiy
Cirelli
Sergachev
Cernak

And, maybe Killorn, but that isn't for sure because he will have a 16 team no trade list.

That's not counting guys with low cap hits where it won't clear anything. Johnson and others have full trade protection.

Out of that list, who do you move to get under the cap or protect against offer sheets?

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Thing is can St. Louis afford to retain salary considering Pietrangelo is going to demand a pretty penny to resign and Dunn probably getting a raise as well

Yeah, it may cost them Dunn for sure. That said, I think Bozak is a relatively easy sell to a contender with space (for instance, I think he would fit in really nicely in Colorado) and Allen, given his term and recent performance, might be appealing to a team with space & backup issues (see: Montreal). If they can save 7m in dealing those two players, they're down to 72m committed, so Dunn probably still needs to go, but there's certainly room for Pietrangelo. I'd be interested in Bozak, Gunnarsson, Sanford, and Dunn as cap casualties - I could see all of them going, in fact.

Lajoie + NYI 1st
for
Dunn + Bozak + Sanford

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Putting out an offer sheet when the compensation will be a first rounder + is a really bad move when you're a lotto team for the next couple of years.

Sergachev is not worth a top 5 pick, in my opinion.

Isn't the top end of the 2021 draft not that strong?

I would be fine with giving up a 1st/2nd/3rd in 2021 for Sergachev. It would not be my preference, but I think that's great value when factoring in the odds of the pick landing outside the top 5, and how the 2021 draft apparently stacks up. There would be a risk of giving up a top 3 pick, but there are similar odds that the pick end up ion that 7-12 type ball park where we might get a player who is 2-4 years away from factoring in.

In a perfect world, we give up both Islanders picks as the base for the Sergachev trade, and then maybe 33 overall. That would be similar value to the Dougie Hamilton trade that happened in a similar situation a few years back.

It's very difficult to say what he'd go for in a trade, because there are so many factors. Will there be compliance buyouts? Will Tampa Bay prioritize keeping him, and trade Ciarelli and Cernak instead? Will he want to stay in Tampa badly enough to take a really soft bridge deal, and refuse to sign offer sheets. Point was approached by Montreal last year, but refused to sign an offer sheet. Will lots of teams be in on him and willing to go as high as 8 x 8? Minimum, he'd require 5 years in the 6+ million range.

Reactions: innocent bystander

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Yeah, it may cost them Dunn for sure. That said, I think Bozak is a relatively easy sell to a contender with space (for instance, I think he would fit in really nicely in Colorado) and Allen, given his term and recent performance, might be appealing to a team with space & backup issues (see: Montreal). If they can save 7m in dealing those two players, they're down to 72m committed, so Dunn probably still needs to go, but there's certainly room for Pietrangelo. I'd be interested in Bozak, Gunnarsson, Sanford, and Dunn as cap casualties - I could see all of them going, in fact.

Lajoie + NYI 1st
for
Dunn + Bozak + Sanford

Thats definitely interesting, I was thinking along the lines of us giving them a lifeline and as compensation swapping their first round pick this year for one of our seconds, something like

bozak+allen+st.louis first
for
nilsson+2nd round pick (cbj or isles)

move up 15 spots to take on bozak and allen's contract. Free's up 6.7 million for them and they get a backup goalie replacement. Gives them 11.2 to resign pietrangelo and dunn which would be tight for them but doable

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Isn't the top end of the 2021 draft not that strong?

I would be fine with giving up a 1st/2nd/3rd in 2021 for Sergachev. It would not be my preference, but I think that's great value when factoring in the odds of the pick landing outside the top 5, and how the 2021 draft apparently stacks up. There would be a risk of giving up a top 3 pick, but there are similar odds that the pick end up ion that 7-12 type ball park where we might get a player who is 2-4 years away from factoring in.

In a perfect world, we give up both Islanders picks as the base for the Sergachev trade, and then maybe 33 overall. That would be similar value to the Dougie Hamilton trade that happened in a similar situation a few years back.

It's very difficult to say what he'd go for in a trade, because there are so many factors. Will there be compliance buyouts? Will Tampa Bay prioritize keeping him, and trade Ciarelli and Cernak instead? Will he want to stay in Tampa badly enough to take a really soft bridge deal, and refuse to sign offer sheets. Point was approached by Montreal last year, but refused to sign an offer sheet. Will lots of teams be in on him and willing to go as high as 8 x 8? Minimum, he'd require 5 years in the 6+ million range.

Well, 2021 has that Raty kid, who was spectacular at the last WJC. And it's also supposed to be a good draft at the top end for defensemen (although I haven't seen any of those kids play yet).

If we were a good bet to make the playoffs or be in a wildcard position, I wouldn't worry too much about moving a first round pick. But as it stands now, that pick looks like it will be in the top 5...and a good chance at first overall. That's one hell of an expensive asset to move for someone who isn't a big star. Nothing against Sergachev, but for a pick like that, I want a Makar or Jones or someone on those tiers (obvious we'd pay more than a first).

Reactions: Bileur and Sweatred

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011

Lajoie + NYI 1st
for
Dunn + Bozak + Sanford
Big no to trading a 1st for essentially just Dunn....

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Would you be unhappy if Thomson/JBD turned out to be a Dunn-level player? I wouldn't. He's a 23y.o DMan with a well rounded defensive game, good physicality, and who has shown the ability to score and excel in the playoffs.

I have higher hopes for JBD, I think he'll be a better all-around D than Dunn. Lassi not so much.

So why would we dish out a 1st round pick for a cap crunched team looking to offload some salary (either because they make too much or are set for a raise) regardless of how good people think Dunn is (he was also well insulated playing in a top 3 D squad and wouldn't have that luxury in Ottawa).

Also Dunn plays on the left side, which is also very crowded prospect wise.

I wouldn't mind at all going after Dunn but if the ask is a 1st, you simply hang up and stick to the plan.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
If Thomson turns out to be as good as Dunn we hit that out of the park, I very seriously doubt that though. I'd trade Thomson for Dunn without a second's hesitation, and would trade NYI''s pick as well

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
This would be a good yr to trade Anisimov, Nilsson, Balcers, Tierny, Hawryluk, Reilly, Brannstrom, Olsing, Abramov, Tychonik, Davidsson & Carcone to mention a few.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Both for Dunn? No way lol

Not both, I don't think that's what BT is saying. I agree that I would trade Thomson or NYI pick for Dunn value-wise. He's pretty much on the upper scale of best case scenario if you're looking at Thomson or the NYI pick. The context makes sense for both teams as well. Dunn is young and a very good player. Capable defenders are in high demand and Dunn fits the mold of the new NHL. St-Louis would get a cost controlled asset in return which is valuable in itself with the upcoming expansion draft.

If we had a defensemen like Dunn we wouldn't wanna trade him unless we got a high quality piece in return (i.e. NYI pick or Thomson)

Last edited:

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
This would be a good yr to trade Anisimov, Nilsson, Balcers, Tierny, Hawryluk, Reilly, Brannstrom, Olsing, Abramov, Tychonik, Davidsson & Carcone to mention a few.

Brannstrom is someone I would be amenable to moving in the right deal, but would only do so for an impact player.

I suspect they will try to trade one of Tierney/Anisimov before the season starts, but I would choose to hold onto one unless someone really blows the doors off with offers on both (won't happen). I would look to move both by the deadline. Reilly is a decent plug who I suspect we will either trade for a mid-late rounder at some time around or after the New Year, or just allow to walk as a UFA at the end of the year.

Hawryluk was just claimed off waivers... might as well use him as a depth piece. Maybe we flip him down the line for an AHLer/tweener who plays a role we are seeking to fill.

I would trade Nilsson in the right circumstance, but I don't see anyone paying up much for him. Best case scenario would be trading him for a more expensive goalie and getting an asset back, like Lundqvist and a 2nd or something like.

Balcers and Abramov likely don't have too much value and are skilled enough and productive enough at different levels that it makes sense to roll the dice on them (unless another team really values one/both of them in a package for an established player). Tychonick fits into this category too, as does Alsing, although they don't have the NA pro pedigree so their value would be much lower than Balcers/Abramov, who are both probably worth 2nds/3rds whereas Tychonick might return a late 3rd or 4th and Alsing would return a 7th at best. No point.

Davidsson I could definitely see us moving if anyone expresses interest, but don't think his value would be very high at all right now. Hasn't proven to be capable of impacting the games at the NA pro level thus far and isn't "young" by prospect standards. I haven't ruled him out, but don't see his value as being high enough that we should be shopping him around. Carcone seems like a good AHLer, on the other hand, but I don't think he has any real value in a trade, either.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Not both, I don't think that's what BT is saying. I agree that I would trade Thomson or NYI pick for Dunn value-wise. He's pretty much on the upper scale of best case scenario if you're looking at Thomson or the NYI pick. The context makes sense for both teams as well. Dunn is young and a very good player. Capable defenders are in high demand and Dunn fits the mold of the new NHL. St-Louis would get a cost controlled asset in return which is valuable in itself with the upcoming expansion draft.

If we had a defensemen like Dunn we wouldn't wanna trade him unless we got a high quality piece in return (i.e. NYI pick or Thomson)

The team with Dunn wouldn't even give a second look to an offer like Thomson or the Isles pick. By my numbers you have a 50% chance on the nose of getting a regular NHL player with picks 19-23 (the Isles' pick currently sits 21, +/- 2). And that's just 300 games or 3 full seasons. Dunn is already at three full seasons, one 35 point season, and still only 23.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Jayce Hawryluk sure isn't getting much respect here. He had seven points in eleven games for the Sens. Small sample size and a bunch of nothing games I know but he looked really good. I can see him as a fixture in our bottom six for years to come. He plays all three forward positions and can move up the lineup when needed.
Look at the sens depth and who they have coming he doesnt have a long term future here. Formenton is going to take his role its just a matter of time. The competition for forward spots is about to get very very competitive. He put up some good numbers at the end of a throw away season we have seen that before. I think he will be a useful player next season but i dont see a long term future.

Reactions: aragorn and NB613

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
Every GM in the league would be stumbling all over themselves to trade a ~20th overall pick for Vince Dunn.

Agreed. Part of his value depends on contract demand, but Dunn is worth more than the Isles pick no matter how you cut it. It might actually take a 1st and Thomson to get him, although I wouldn't endorse that move for the Sens give it isn't a positional need. But in terms of pure value. But the Blues don't likely move Dunn given they need good contracts going forward, and regardless of the demands, Dunn will be better value going forward than some of their other D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad