Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals 2019-20 Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC
Personally would like to see a Eichel trade happen but some Sabres fans are nuts asking " both our top 5 picks or the best one + Tkachuk or Chabot." also seen a few of "both picks + Chabot/Tkachuk for Eichel"

I don't think it would cost a whole lot more than what Seguin got, similar situations former 2nd overall pick, disgruntled player/management that wanted out, i see Eichel is better than Seguin but not worlds better.

Eriksson was seen as a 30g 40a player coming off a bad lockout season and just sucked after
Joe Morrow B/C prospect at best at the time
Rielly Smith Don't really remember how he was viewed but he became the best player going to the Bruins
Matt Fraser Contract spot and salary to make room for Peverley

If we go by value and only trade our 2nd best pick and Buffalo doesn't do it for anything less than the 4th overall.
Going off what @BondraTime said

2nd/3rd/4th + 21st > Eriksson + Morrow
Brannstrom/Norris + 21st + 2nd > Rielly + Fraser

Seems fair in my eyes because I can't reasonably see a future trade for Eichel that has a top 4 pick in it or recent top pick in it maybe with the Rangers for around Kakko or if some team with sub 1% chance wins a top 3 pick and has the cap room for him

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Personally would like to see a Eichel trade happen but some Sabres fans are nuts asking " both our top 5 picks or the best one + Tkachuk or Chabot." also seen a few of "both picks + Chabot/Tkachuk for Eichel"

I don't think it would cost a whole lot more than what Seguin got, similar situations former 2nd overall pick, disgruntled player/management that wanted out, i see Eichel is better than Seguin but not worlds better.

Eriksson was seen as a 30g 40a player coming off a bad lockout season and just sucked after
Joe Morrow B/C prospect at best at the time
Rielly Smith Don't really remember how he was viewed but he became the best player going to the Bruins
Matt Fraser Contract spot and salary to make room for Peverley

If we go by value and only trade our 2nd best pick and Buffalo doesn't do it for anything less than the 4th overall.
Going off what @BondraTime said

2nd/3rd/4th + 21st > Eriksson + Morrow
Brannstrom/Norris + 21st + 2nd > Rielly + Fraser

Seems fair in my eyes because I can't reasonably see a future trade for Eichel that has a top 4 pick in it or recent top pick in it maybe with the Rangers for around Kakko or if some team with sub 1% chance wins a top 3 pick and has the cap room for him

The problem with using the Seguin trade as a direct comparison and not just a historical example is:
1 - Boston was in 'win now' mode, Buffalo is not.
2 - Boston was tired of Seguin's shit, they were motivated to move him. That may not be the case with Buffalo.

Eriksson gets really underrated when talking about that trade historically, because all people remember is that he fell off a cliff after leaving Boston. He was one of the top scorers in the league, in his prime, and cost controlled for a few years. Boston probably thought they were getting the better player at the time, even know they were quickly proven wrong. It almost reminds me of Zibanejad/Brassard in that regard.

Both the top picks isn't an outlandish ask if they are out of the top 2. It wouldn't be the right move for Ottawa. Chabot+ for Eichel would also be a fair ask, but Ottawa can't do it, and it makes no sense for Buffalo because they'd be giving up a franchise C for Chabot when they already have Dahlin who projects to be as good or better than Chabot going forward.

With all that said, these lower value proposals are probably realistic not because Eichel is worth that, but because any time we see a player like Eichel traded (Seguin, Hall, first O'Reilly trade, and then earlier Thornton) - they only get traded because the team holding the player has some left field reason they want to move on, and the return ends up being really bad because of that. I don't know if I explained that well, but it's like the return is never what it should be because the teams are stupid enough to be motivated to move a young superstar in the first place.

Colorado would make the most sense as a destination. They could make it work cap wise both short and long term if MacKinnon is actually serious about taking a bit less to keep winning. They could include Byram as one of the pieces. They are also a contender, which is what Eichel would want.

Another idea I had which I think I've posted in this thread would be Matthews for Eichel. Predicated on the idea of Toronto coming up short again in the first round and Eichel being unhappy. Buffalo gets a fresh start, Toronto gets an extra 2 years of the player being cost controlled which with the amount of cap uncertainty there is due to COVID-19, might help extend their window.

Lastly, in the idea of, when teams trade these types of young players, they usually do it for a bad return - Eichel for Parick Kane. Obviously, Patrick Kane is a superstar. But he is also 32. That's why it would be bad for Buffalo. Kane would have to want to waive to go to his home town team and start another chapter in his career. Chicago aren't really a contender anymore, but there is still that sort of perception there that they are a big name team who knows what it takes to win in today's NHL, so maybe Eichel would think they'd have more of a chance than Buffalo.

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC
The problem with using the Seguin trade as a direct comparison and not just a historical example is:
1 - Boston was in 'win now' mode, Buffalo is not.
2 - Boston was tired of Seguin's shit, they were motivated to move him. That may not be the case with Buffalo.

Eriksson gets really underrated when talking about that trade historically, because all people remember is that he fell off a cliff after leaving Boston. He was one of the top scorers in the league, in his prime, and cost controlled for a few years. Boston probably thought they were getting the better player at the time, even know they were quickly proven wrong. It almost reminds me of Zibanejad/Brassard in that regard.

Both the top picks isn't an outlandish ask if they are out of the top 2. It wouldn't be the right move for Ottawa. Chabot+ for Eichel would also be a fair ask, but Ottawa can't do it, and it makes no sense for Buffalo because they'd be giving up a franchise C for Chabot when they already have Dahlin who projects to be as good or better than Chabot going forward.

With all that said, these lower value proposals are probably realistic not because Eichel is worth that, but because any time we see a player like Eichel traded (Seguin, Hall, first O'Reilly trade, and then earlier Thornton) - they only get traded because the team holding the player has some left field reason they want to move on, and the return ends up being really bad because of that. I don't know if I explained that well, but it's like the return is never what it should be because the teams are stupid enough to be motivated to move a young superstar in the first place.

Colorado would make the most sense as a destination. They could make it work cap wise both short and long term if MacKinnon is actually serious about taking a bit less to keep winning. They could include Byram as one of the pieces. They are also a contender, which is what Eichel would want.

Another idea I had which I think I've posted in this thread would be Matthews for Eichel. Predicated on the idea of Toronto coming up short again in the first round and Eichel being unhappy. Buffalo gets a fresh start, Toronto gets an extra 2 years of the player being cost controlled which with the amount of cap uncertainty there is due to COVID-19, might help extend their window.

Lastly, in the idea of, when teams trade these types of young players, they usually do it for a bad return - Eichel for Parick Kane. Obviously, Patrick Kane is a superstar. But he is also 32. That's why it would be bad for Buffalo. Kane would have to want to waive to go to his home town team and start another chapter in his career. Chicago aren't really a contender anymore, but there is still that sort of perception there that they are a big name team who knows what it takes to win in today's NHL, so maybe Eichel would think they'd have more of a chance than Buffalo.

IMO whether it even matters or not, Boston gave up on Seguin for no good reason they said "Seguin was a highly skilled player who lacked toughness and had too many red flags off the ice for the organization to want to keep him" that's a not a valid reason in my eyes to ship out your fresh 2nd overall pick who did really well in the cup run and improved the season after. He had as much attitude problems as any 19/20 yr old coming into the NHL. Marchand straight calls people POS on social media but that's fine with them i guess double standards?

I know Eriksson was good it's why i mentioned him as a 70 point player because that's what he was, and ya it kind of reminds me of the Zibanejad and Brassard (Money) trade but even with the Seguin trade and the Zibanejad trade a lot of people knew it was bad from the start.

Eichel is not going anywhere till he tells Buffalo/Media he wants out so it's all hypothetical till it happens, but so far the coaches and the GM have payed the price for him being upset with the situation, and people can see that his patience is being tested only thing left is a new team which will drive down his price and suitors I can see him getting a Karlsson deal or in a very special case like us with 2 top 4 picks an even better offer than that. One way or another its going to be rebuilding time for Buffalo again if he leaves.

And both picks is not unreasonable depending on where they are but i should have specified that the Sabres fans I was quoting would only do it one of the pick was 1st or 2nd and a few were ok with 3rd because Stutzle was as good to them as Byfield. And like you said Chabot doesn't make sense for them but Tkachuk + would but the fans were asking 1st/2nd/3rd + Tkachuk or Chabot + Tkachuk for Eichel which is way too much in my eyes the most i'd do is Tkachuk + 5th but again that defeats the whole point for us which would be to put them on the same line.

I don't see Matthews being the one who bites the bullet in Toronto first it will be Dubas then they will try to trade Tavares if even possible not many teams have that much cap and want a #1 C with the current Covid-19 situation

I don't see why MacKinnon would be willing to take a discount to get Eichel when he in my eyes he is a better center and it would cost the team significant assets and ruin their amazing cap situation. If MacKinnon were to take a discount its to keep the core players together like Landeskog, Rantanen, Makar, and Burakovsky if he can keep it up not saying they warrant massive contracts like Eichel would but him being willing to do it for Eichel who could be seen to have issues would be a stretch for me. Byram and the 4th this year have roughly the same value so it would be the same kind of deal from Colorado

Don't see Buffalo being down to do Kane for Eichel for age reasons and the fact it doesn't fix their problem they are just missing too many parts. I see Kane and Toews and Keith Retiring Blackhawks and having their numbers in the rafters

Colorado could do this

Byram + Kadri + Timmins/Newhook + 29th they would have to include Kadri for salary and cap space or trade him somewhere else. not sure what Buffalo would say to that or be willing to give for him

we would be offering this

2nd/3rd/4th + Brannstrom/Norris + 21st we could include Tierney if they want a center .

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Were still talking about Eichel? Why not discuss something that has real potential of happening.
How do you feel about acquiring a 6th round pick in 2020 for our 7th round pick in 2020 and our 7th round pick in 2021? Or do you think the org is still too burned from the Mike Sdao trade fiasco to consider something like this?

Just kidding, I'm also very sick of talking about Eichel. If we're going to get fanciful, let's at least talk about signing Taylor "Free Wallet" Hallet instead.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
What are the chances that NJ might want to move one of their two top 10 picks? Or anyone trading a top 15 pick?

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
What are the chances that NJ might want to move one of their two top 10 picks? Or anyone trading a top 15 pick?

I think New Jersey stands pat. But if a team like Pittsburgh or Toronto unexpectedly loses their play-in series I could see them being willing to trade their 13-16 pick for immediate help. I'm not sure that we could offer immediate help to rosters like those though. Maybe if Pittsburgh feels the need for a 3rd C they'd take Tierney + 33rd for the 15-16th? Not sure. If they think the draft is deep enough they might be willing to do something like that.

I hope Dorion looks into things like this. Much like 2003 and 2015 I think this draft will have multiple future star players available at 15-18 and beyond.

Reactions: aragorn

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
yea I agree. I think we will definitely make a trade, too many pieces not to

my dream would be Ekblad but I doubt he’s realistic

think Sergachev can be obtained? Brannstrom + 21st?

Chabot-JBD
Sergachev-Thomson

How many teams could offer a package that strong? Most would prefer tho get the ELC years out of their own Brann type asset. similar to how Serg was more valuable
to Tampa than EK.

I think it should take less than Brann + a mid first rounder. If they don’t value Brann than we should keep him.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
How many teams could offer a package that strong? Most would prefer tho get the ELC years out of their own Brann type asset. similar to how Serg was more valuable
to Tampa than EK.

I think it should take less than Brann + a mid first rounder. If they don’t value Brann than we should keep him.

I personally love Brannstrom and think he's gonna be a top pairing calibre player in the mold of Ellis but Sergachev gives us that NOW(guaranteed basically), and he's bigger than Brannstrom which bodes better for our defense while TB already has big and imposing guys, Brannstrom could actually be greater fit. Plus Sergachev has higher ceiling, which is why we added the 1st in my proposal. Serg can also play RD and LD. He plays both well.

2 years:

Chabot-JBD
Sergachev-Thomson/Zub
Wolanin-Zub/Thomson

Top PP/Hero defensive pairing:

Chabot-Serg

Excellent back-end. And we don't even affect our 2 top 5 picks this year which can be focused on elite forward talent.

Alternatively, we can pick Drysdale/Sanderson and package Brannstrom + 1st for a prominent young established forward who's team cant afford him (anyone have any ideas?) I think the Serg one is more realistic.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think New Jersey stands pat. But if a team like Pittsburgh or Toronto unexpectedly loses their play-in series I could see them being willing to trade their 13-16 pick for immediate help. I'm not sure that we could offer immediate help to rosters like those though. Maybe if Pittsburgh feels the need for a 3rd C they'd take Tierney + 33rd for the 15-16th? Not sure. If they think the draft is deep enough they might be willing to do something like that.

I hope Dorion looks into things like this. Much like 2003 and 2015 I think this draft will have multiple future star players available at 15-18 and beyond.

First, it's nice to see a number of people talking about bigger players with skill for this team. But on the topic at hand, I don't want to give up any picks if we can avoid it & would rather move some of the assets we have like Brannstrom & Abramov who I don't value as high as others. I would also move a goalie if the target is Askarov & the team's that I would look to make deals with are rebuilding teams that need good young players like NJ & we have some excess prospects that could be dealt.

Tierny, Brown, Duclair, Reilly are all entering their prime & could be made available for teams looking to fill holes likely at deadlines to increase draft picks. The prospects that may not be in Ottawa's future could be made available in a quantity for quality picks as building blocks to move up in the draft to acquire certain players. With all of the assets that Ottawa has they could have numerous options & it wouldn't surprise me if they started talking to teams already. While we don't want to seem greedy but another pick or two in the first rd would be extremely helpful with this new rebuild.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
I personally love Brannstrom and think he's gonna be a top pairing calibre player in the mold of Ellis but Sergachev gives us that NOW(guaranteed basically), and he's bigger than Brannstrom which bodes better for our defense while TB already has big and imposing guys, Brannstrom could actually be greater fit. Plus Sergachev has higher ceiling, which is why we added the 1st in my proposal. Serg can also play RD and LD. He plays both well.

2 years:

Chabot-JBD
Sergachev-Thomson/Zub
Wolanin-Zub/Thomson

Chabot-Serg

Excellent back-end. And we don't even affect our 2 top 5 picks this year which can be focused on elite forward talent.

Alternatively, we can pick Drysdale/Sanderson and package Brannstrom + 1st for a prominent young established forward who's team cant afford him (anyone have any ideas?) I think the Serg one is more realistic.

This was my post a week ago - nobody commented on it!

In my scenario, Sanderson is still available after we drafted twice. Trading down with the 2nd pick is NOT an option in this scenario.

So think about what it would cost to acquire another high pick to get Sanderson vs the cost of acquiring Sergachev, the potential, the playing style, the cost control years and the known vs the unknown of both players.

Then which trade would you make?

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
This was my post a week ago - nobody commented on it!

The guy right below you did, lol. Sweatred.

To answer your question though, If Brannstrom and 21st gets us into top 10 to pick Sanderson, damn that's tough.

I might still go Sergachev here. Only cause he's already established and on track to be number 1 all-around force.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

2 years:

Chabot-JBD
Sergachev-Thomson/Zub
Wolanin-Zub/Thomson

Chabot-Serg

I agree - I just wouldn’t add the NYI.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Chabot-Jaros
Wolanin-Zaitsev
Brannstrom-Zub

These pairings can be pretty interesting offensively if put together, the left side mostly. There’s potential for a nice balance in all the pairs imo

Reactions: NB613

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
What would it take to get Rickard Rakell from Anaheim?

Player/Pick/Prospect probably....that is assuming they want to move him.

21st Overall
Chris Tierney
Late 1st/Early 2nd Round tier type prospect

He wouldn't be a good target for us because of his term. 2 years isn't long enough to figure into our plans, but we can't sign a contract for a year. It puts the team in a major position of weakness like we were in when we negotiated with Bobby Ryan.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I’ve been rewatching some games and Brannstrom is gonna surprise a lot of people next year. He was very underrated defensively despite a couple of gaffs and has so much untapped offence.

No doubt, that's why he's the centerpiece in the trade for an already proven top pairing 21 year old guy.

Brannstrom is super fine in his own right, the guy was doing end-to-end rushes with gorgeous dangles towards his last stint in Ottawa and barely missing them, they were absolutely gorgeous rushes.

Last edited:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
yea I agree. I think we will definitely make a trade, too many pieces not to

my dream would be Ekblad but I doubt he’s realistic

think Sergachev can be obtained? Brannstrom + 21st?

Chabot-JBD
Sergachev-Thomson

It would be the Tampa GM's proudest day ever! :)

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Chabot-Jaros
Wolanin-Zaitsev
Brannstrom-Zub

These pairings can be pretty interesting offensively if put together, the left side mostly. There’s potential for a nice balance in all the pairs imo

I do not see Jaros as a top pair defenseman. Brannstrom has size and strength issues. Zub is unproven at the NHL level. I like Wolanin but he has not had enough NHL level experience to say he is a legit second pair defenseman. I expect 2 of them not to work out.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I do not see Jaros as a top pair defenseman. Brannstrom has size and strength issues. Zub is unproven at the NHL level. I like Wolanin but he has not had enough NHL level experience to say he is a legit second pair defenseman. I expect 2 of them not to work out.

Jaros doesn’t need to be a top pair defenceman, he just needs to be a solid stay at home presence alongside Chabot imo, with occasional chipping in offensively.

As for Zub and Zaitsev, they are just stop gaps until Bernard-Docker and Thomson are ready.

Reactions: guyzeur and NB613
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->