Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals 2019-20 Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Sabres wouldn’t do it and senators shouldn’t.
Eichel talk is needless distraction here.

It would also leave less than $2 million per player off a $70 team cap after Eichel, Z, Chabot, Brady, and White.

Keep Duclair, sign Laf, with a $5 goalie and you pretty much have everyone else on ELc’s.

Reactions: Crosside

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Until teams know what's going on with the Cap and any potential salary roll backs, I'd be avoiding 10mil contracts like the plague. Eichel is a great player, but while his contract was good value pre-pandemic, it's a huge risk until they sort out a bunch of HRR related issues.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Its just not remotely realistic, Buffalo isnt trading him period.

Prefer to look at ideas and concepts that have real potential of actually happening.
Ya i agree. Not realistic at all

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
How many top-3 picks have you guys seen traded recently for star players? Let alone in massive packages that include that team's top prospect, a slew of other picks and players?

It doesn't happen because it's a terrible value play. Your top-3 pick gives you more value in the long-term than jettisoning it for a star player - even one as good as Eichel. Nevermind everything else being included in packages. Just doesn't make sense.

If you're a team that's bottomed like the Senators, you're not 1 Jack Eichel away from being really good again. So why give up all that value and high-grade trade currency?

IlTerrifico

Oct 24, 2016

The Sens have not one proven top line talent at this point, and nobody outside of St. Louis has won without it in the last 15 years. If we get picks 4-5 we still may not find these players, so Eichel may be one of few possible options.

Nobody thought teams trade top players in their prime when Boston moved Joe Thornton for spare parts, and the circumstances were somewhat similar. It takes an owner with an ego who has an 'I'll show him' attitude, which is the sort of volatility that saw Pegula give the mediocre Christian Ehrhoff big money when he bought in. A 4th overall and some proven talent and a prospect could be all that's needed if you push the right buttons. Never hurts to try - ask SJ, who got 10 great years out of Joe for a song.

Reactions: Que

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
I'm still waiting to see a trade that doesn't in any way involve saving money and solely involves making the team better. Until one of these trades happen, I'm not particularly optimistic that we're going to see an impact player come in from outside of the organization.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
I think a realistic package for Eichel would be L. Brown, White, Anisimov, Chlapik, lower of SJ/Ott 1st, Ott 2nd, CBS 2nd 2021

One of everything; high end prospect, low end prospect, emerging roster player, veteran cap filler, high pick, mid pick

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
How many top-3 picks have you guys seen traded recently for star players? Let alone in massive packages that include that team's top prospect, a slew of other picks and players?

It doesn't happen because it's a terrible value play. Your top-3 pick gives you more value in the long-term than jettisoning it for a star player - even one as good as Eichel. Nevermind everything else being included in packages. Just doesn't make sense.

If you're a team that's bottomed like the Senators, you're not 1 Jack Eichel away from being really good again. So why give up all that value and high-grade trade currency?

I disagree. I think most teams other than cap stapped contenders would give up a top 3 pick for Eichel with 6 years of term. The issue is that a team would never ever trade Eichel at 23 years old for futures. I can't speak for other people, but I don't think Buffalo will trade Eichel. It makes no sense, but it is the off season, the trade thread is dead, and it is fun to discuss these cheeky "off season" type proposals when there is nothing else to talk about in this thread.

#3 overall could be better than Eichel, but historically, it won't be. Historically, if you're lucky, you get a 1st line star at #3, not a franchise player. Also, Eichel has almost as much term remaining as a top pick is guaranteed to have. 6 years for 7 years. Keeping in mind, very few prospects play a top role for their entire ELC. Some of those ELC years will see them play a minimized role while developing. Eichel will play 20+ minutes a night and score 80-100 points. For every 3rd overall pick who plays a big role on their ELC, there are a handful that play limited minutes for part of the ELC.

Reactions: xVolchenkov

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I disagree. I think most teams other than cap stapped contenders would give up a top 3 pick for Eichel with 6 years of term. The issue is that a team would never ever trade Eichel at 23 years old for futures. I can't speak for other people, but I don't think Buffalo will trade Eichel. It makes no sense, but it is the off season, the trade thread is dead, and it is fun to discuss these cheeky "off season" type proposals when there is nothing else to talk about in this thread.

#3 overall could be better than Eichel, but historically, it won't be. Historically, if you're lucky, you get a 1st line star at #3, not a franchise player. Also, Eichel has almost as much term remaining as a top pick is guaranteed to have. 6 years for 7 years. Keeping in mind, very few prospects play a top role for their entire ELC. Some of those ELC years will see them play a minimized role while developing. Eichel will play 20+ minutes a night and score 80-100 points. For every 3rd overall pick who plays a big role on their ELC, there are a handful that play limited minutes for part of the ELC.

Plus the biggest argument for getting Eichel (or any top end talent we could potentially trade for) is the window of competition. Chabot entering his prime now. Tkachuk too. We have a slew of prospects trying to establish themselves in NHL soon: Batherson, Norris, Davidsson, Abramov, Formenton, Balcers. So getting a top line talent will balance the talent/rookie ratio and will allow us to insulate the upcoming players and let them play their game sheltered and thrive in a better winning environment, all recent multicup winners have done this and it is the biggest problem in Toronto that has held that team back. Plus we can balance our future and not have everyone with gigantic contracts all at once. We would have bunch of guys on ELCs and possibly bridge deals to continue shots at a cup.

If we don’t get Laf tho, I don’t want Eichel.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Hypothetically speaking, what are those top picks worth in picks if we were to trade them down?
What picks would you want for pick 2? Would you do it for 5 + 12?

I know these trades won't/can't happen, I'm just curious about where the value equalizes for people. I find these really tough to evaluate.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Hypothetically speaking, what are those top picks worth in picks if we were to trade them down?
What picks would you want for pick 2? Would you do it for 5 + 12?

I know these trades won't/can't happen, I'm just curious about where the value equalizes for people. I find these really tough to evaluate.

if number 2(Byfield) = Raymond(5) and Sanderson(12) then hell ya. But it probably isn’t as that is wishful thinking at this point to hope for Sanderson at 12 so the value is not even there for me

If I have a top 4 pick(I’m high on Raymond) that’s gold. I ain’t trading it for anything outside of established super young star player.

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA

It's exactly the kind of distraction we need. What else is going on?

Sabres may not have a choice, if Eichel demands a trade then they'll do it (but they will not trade with Ottawa, nor will Eichel want to leave for another perpetually rebuilding team)

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
I think a realistic package for Eichel would be L. Brown, White, Anisimov, Chlapik, lower of SJ/Ott 1st, Ott 2nd, CBS 2nd 2021

One of everything; high end prospect, low end prospect, emerging roster player, veteran cap filler, high pick, mid pick

Yeah I'm not sure where the value is for Buffalo in a deal like this. A team that hasn't made the playoffs in 9 years is going to restart their cycle for futures? I don't think there's a fit here.

Reactions: Ed Wood

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
Sens are pretty deep in center and goalie prospects. Sabres do need a goalie or two badly. Let's just say another year goes by and Eichel is not happy with the Sabres direction, I can certainly see that door open for the sens to make a legitimate offer (probably higher value since they're in the same division). Likely involving any combination of the following pieces like L Brown, White, Tierney, Thomson, Gustavsson, Hogberg, Wolanin, Lajoie, one of the 2020 first rounders, 2021 first rounder, one of the 2nd rounders from SJ/CBJ/NYI, etc. Point is there's lots of ammo to play with.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

Most teams would give up 3rd overall, their top prospect, and multiple 2nd rd picks and other prospects/players?

And again, where does that leave this team? Are the Senators 1 Eichel away from being very good again? No. Probably, not even close. What's the short and long term plan? Short term: continue accruing assets, including draft picks and developing prospects. Long term: identify your core out of the work you've done through the draft in the last 3-5 years and use the excess pieces in trade packages for young impact players. We're still in the short term part of the plan and have a huge opportunity to add several high-end assets that will almost certainly increase their value. Next year should be the final year of adding pieces through the draft. When you're done that you can start assessing where your organizational strengths are and developing a concrete plan to shift assets from one area to another through trades. And then we finally arrive at the point where we start asking if adding players via free agency is actually on the table or not.

Adding Eichel now would feel great. But the impact of that trade on the short term progress we've made, I would argue, is actually negative. Especially considering the psychology of the move signalling that the rebuild is over and now it's time to go for it. We're just not there. Not even the most optimistic fan would say we're there.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Most teams would give up 3rd overall, their top prospect, and multiple 2nd rd picks and other prospects/players?

And again, where does that leave this team? Are the Senators 1 Eichel away from being very good again? No. Probably, not even close. What's the short and long term plan? Short term: continue accruing assets, including draft picks and developing prospects. Long term: identify your core out of the work you've done through the draft in the last 3-5 years and use the excess pieces in trade packages for young impact players. We're still in the short term part of the plan and have a huge opportunity to add several high-end assets that will almost certainly increase their value. Next year should be the final year of adding pieces through the draft. When you're done that you can start assessing where your organizational strengths are and developing a concrete plan to shift assets from one area to another through trades. And then we finally arrive at the point where we start asking if adding players via free agency is actually on the table or not.

Adding Eichel now would feel great. But the impact of that trade on the short term progress we've made, I would argue, is actually negative. Especially considering the psychology of the move signalling that the rebuild is over and now it's time to go for it. We're just not there. Not even the most optimistic fan would say we're there.

Eichel is the same age as Chabot with almost as much term left.

He's a franchise player. Teams go decades without getting their hands on a player like Eichel.

The Senators need to consolidate their picks/prospects (trade up/acquire NHL talent/etc) because they cannot possibly sign/developt he amount of players they'll have if they keep every pick over the next two drafts. In the proposal above (basically giving the Karlsson haul to Buffalo), we're talking about Tierney, Balcers, a goalie prospect, and a 2nd. That isn't going to hurt our prospect depth at all.

The only two pieces of consequence would be a 3rd overall pick and Norris. Your post almost comes off like I am suggesting we trade for a player who is at risk of falling off soon like Toews, or Kopitar. Eichel hasn't even peaked yet and has a similar amount of team control to the 3rd round pick. Norris is looking like a great prospect, but he's far from untouchable in a deal for a 23 year old franchise C with term.

Let me reiterate again, I don't in a million years think Eichel will actually be available, let alone available for a package deal of picks/prospects. But in a fantasy land where he is available, budget permitting, we'd be nuts not to give up 3rd overall, Norris, and a bunch of mid tier assets for him. You're talking like if we gave up this opportunity, there's going to be a better time to acquire a 23 year old franchise center.

Eichel being made available at 23 would be the type of thing that only happens once every decade or so. It's not an opportunity where a team could wait for the next time it happens to pull the trigger.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

Ottawa did it with Duchene, SJ did it with EK.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

Yashin went for 2OA and Chara. At the time Chara was a throw in, clunky pylon of a dman. I don't think the deal would need to be a large package if it included 2OA or 3OA. We got a package for EK because there wasn't any high end talent in the offer (apparently).

Last edited:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

If we draft Laf, and Eichel is indeed available, we'd be nuts not to go after him.

Laf, Eichel, Tkachuk, Batherson, Norris/Brown, Duclair has the making of a crazy top 6 and one of the best lines in hockey.

Especially with a top 5-10 defender that we already have in Chabot entering his prime.

We'd be the new Chicago/LA.

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
There is not one single player in this draft I would take over Eichel.

I said it. Eichel>Lafreniere.

and to those who say he wouldn’t come here; two words.

Brady Tkachuk.
He absolutely wouldn't come here unless we had a different owner. He gets to call the shots in Buffalo

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I suspect that Eichel would prefer to remain in the USA. I also think that NYR might be interested in getting him.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Eichel is the same age as Chabot with almost as much term left.

He's a franchise player. Teams go decades without getting their hands on a player like Eichel.

The Senators need to consolidate their picks/prospects (trade up/acquire NHL talent/etc) because they cannot possibly sign/developt he amount of players they'll have if they keep every pick over the next two drafts. In the proposal above (basically giving the Karlsson haul to Buffalo), we're talking about Tierney, Balcers, a goalie prospect, and a 2nd. That isn't going to hurt our prospect depth at all.

The only two pieces of consequence would be a 3rd overall pick and Norris. Your post almost comes off like I am suggesting we trade for a player who is at risk of falling off soon like Toews, or Kopitar. Eichel hasn't even peaked yet and has a similar amount of team control to the 3rd round pick. Norris is looking like a great prospect, but he's far from untouchable in a deal for a 23 year old franchise C with term.

Let me reiterate again, I don't in a million years think Eichel will actually be available, let alone available for a package deal of picks/prospects. But in a fantasy land where he is available, budget permitting, we'd be nuts not to give up 3rd overall, Norris, and a bunch of mid tier assets for him. You're talking like if we gave up this opportunity, there's going to be a better time to acquire a 23 year old franchise center.

Eichel being made available at 23 would be the type of thing that only happens once every decade or so. It's not an opportunity where a team could wait for the next time it happens to pull the trigger.

Again, what position are the Sens in after they trade for Eichel? What's the composition of the roster that makes this a team that can "go for it"? All that happens is they slip into that grey zone of mediocrity where maybe we make the playoffs but probably we miss.

As a fan of this team for as long as I can remember, I don't want to be in that position anymore. The grey zone sucks. It's way harder to get out of the grey zone than it is to get out of the basement.

Not to mention, the amount of value we give up. I'm not saying the 3rd OA or Norris are untouchables. There could be trades that we win where we give up those pieces and I'd be ok with that. But packaging those 2 pieces plus White, 2nd rd picks and two more prospects is f***ing insane to me. We still have another year of not being great before we start looking at all the pieces within the organization. Once we cross that bridge, you can start investigating trades and identifying the type of player you need to put your roster into hyperdrive.

This organization has half-assed too many things. Getting this far into our rebuild to half-ass it now and plop us straight in the middle of mediocrity will kill whatever hope fans had left.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Ottawa did it with Duchene, SJ did it with EK.
And neither of those teams are happy with the results. But maybe this time could be different? Maybe. Or maybe it will be exactly the same outcome and we'll look like idiots again and have severely hampered the progress of this rebuild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->