Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals 2019-20 Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Bruce Almighty with a Pageau update...

The sense is the Senators will make a run at trying to sign Pageau this week before making a decision on whether to keep him or not. People think the club should be able to get a first-round pick in exchange but it’s doubtful that will be the case. Ottawa already has three second round picks in June.

The Senators could always keep Pageau and make a decision in the off-season without the pressure of the deadline because he’s a good fit here but Hawryluk’s arrival puts that possibility in doubt.

On DeMelo...

It doesn’t feel like DeMelo will be in an Ottawa uniform much longer. Several teams are looking for help on defence – including Calgary, Tampa, Winnipeg and Vegas – and there’s a sense the two sides aren’t in the same ball park in contract discussions. The second-round pick the Devils received for captain Andy Greene from the New York Islanders may set the marketplace in these trade talks.

DeMelo to Vegas makes sense because he’d be reunited with former San Jose coach Peter DeBoer but we’ll see where this goes.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
The Kings took back Schaller as the contract dump.
Schaller's contract expires at the end of the season. The Senators could definitely retain on Pageau and take on a cap dump on an expiring contract.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I may be in the minority here but I am of the belief that DeMelo should be much more of a priority to re-sign at this point than Pageau.

We are very short-stocked as it is on established NHL defenseman, and they are not as easy to replace as bottom 6 forwards which Pageau basically is and has been his whole career.

I would still be happy if Pageau was re-signed but not at the expense of a #3/4 steady defenseman in DeMelo.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Bruce Almighty with a Pageau update...

On DeMelo...
If Vegas targets Demelo they have two 2nd round picks (Vegas and Pittsburgh) and two 3rd round picks (Vegas and New Jersey). I would look to get Keegan Kolesar and either one of their 2nd round picks or New Jersey's 3rd round pick in return.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
"The Senators could always keep Pageau and make a decision in the off-season without the pressure of the deadline"

Someone should explain to Bruce what a UFA is.

When Bryan Murray was GM he did something similar with Chris Neil. Sens were way out of the playoffs at the deadline and Neil was a pending UFA that was attracting some trade interest, but ultimately wasn't moved. He ended up extending with Ottawa on July 1st of that year.

So there is precedent.

Seems more likely that Pageau is dealt though. Certainly starting to look like he's gone.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Or a diet.

20200216_190424.jpg

20200217_212123.jpg

20200217_212148.jpg

Reactions: Matsens15

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Yo someone wake Dorion up.

what has he been doing all this time?

apparently no offers or negations have been made to any of the UFAs and neither of them have been traded, with exactly just 6 days left lol.

Reactions: NB613

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

apparently no offers or negations have been made to any of the UFAs and neither of them have been traded, with exactly just 6 days left lol.
He had a 2 European scouting trips and a short vacation to Barbados in the past month and a half. Seems like he has been busy. :sarcasm:

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Pageau's value is at its peak atm, I doubt they will but he should be sat against the Sabres to avoid injuries (and tank). Jayce Howleubowlerchuk takes his spot in the line-up. Lose-lose that's actually a win-win in the tank world.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017

Nobody knows anything because they’re not leaking anything. No news doesn’t mean nothing is happening

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
JGP (50% retained) for Isles 1st + prospect

Just kidding. Melnyk doesn't retain unless it's for a lower salary coming back from a cap dumper.

I can see Pageau to the Isles for a 1st + mid-tier prospect. Isles have cap space.

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
"The Senators could always keep Pageau and make a decision in the off-season without the pressure of the deadline"

Someone should explain to Bruce what a UFA is.

I personally read it as a decision to re-sign him or not, depending on final negotiations

Not saying I agree or not, just how I read that.

It gives both sides more time and no deadline pressure to reach a deal, but going on July 1st would bring back the pressure so there will always be "pressure", and if Melnyk only allows a "friendly" deal, then there's no point to continue trying.

Thing is we have no real idea of what is really going on behind the scenes. At this point, it's either they know Pageau is gone or have an agreement in principles.

Nobody knows anything because they’re not leaking anything. No news doesn’t mean nothing is happening

It's always surprising that people still get fooled by the information and non-information through the "medias", like if you could find all the truth in there!

I mean all we can get is speculation, opinions and little pieces of information

Last edited:

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
If DeMelo brings back a second the Karlsson return becomes Tierney, Norris, Balcers, Mads Sogaard, likely top 5 pick in June, 2020 second round pick (Vegas?) and 2021 second round pick (San Jose). Plus a season and a half of solid play from DeMelo. That's a hell of a haul.

kife

Dec 18, 2011
Two things stick out:

- How in the world is management still seemingly unsure about what the plan is for Pageau?!

- Our defense sucks: we only have one good dman in Chabot. Trading away Demelo strikes me as stupid; he isn't great but who's going to replace him?
The impression I get is that they feel they won't be able to sign Demelo, i.e. he doesn't really want to be part of this organization and the direction they are in. I mean, who blames him really...

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
If DeMelo brings back a second the Karlsson return becomes Tierney, Norris, Balcers, Mads Sogaard, likely top 5 pick in June, 2020 second round pick (Vegas?) and 2021 second round pick (San Jose). Plus a season and a half of solid play from DeMelo. That's a hell of a haul.
are you sure sogaard is part of the karlsson trade?

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
The impression I get is that they feel they won't be able to sign Demelo, i.e. he doesn't really want to be part of this organization and the direction they are in. I mean, who blames him really...
I feel like Demelo feels he deserves more money than Ottawa is willing to offer.

He's been plugged into a top 4 role and probably wants to be paid as such with term whereas Ottawa probably feels he's not truly as valuable as he thinks he is.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

If Demelo is asking for something silly like 5 million for 6 years yeah, I can see why Dorion might not be interested, I'd walk away from that as well.

I just have a hard time believing that that is the case. More likely scenario is that Demelo is asking for a big raise (which he fully deserves) but since he's only "decent/good" they don't want to pay him.

We shall find out soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->