Rumor: Trade rumours/Proposals 2018-2019 (Part 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
The offer is "fine", we probably don't need to shred the guy over it. The eventual trade will probably look closer to that then what some around here have been speculating. That being said, it will have more to do with Dorion/Melnyk than the value of Stone of Duchene being that "low".

@Thrasymachus

The view is that the Senators will be looking for a 1st + A prospect. Wether they get that or not is yet to be determined, but your original offer would be the low-end of what's expected while fans around here are still pining for the high end of a deal involving our two stars. Guys like Fabbro or Tolvanen would be much better centerpieces than anything the Isles could/would realistically offer. Your original offer is something Sens fans might "settle for" but 2 full weeks before the deadline we definitely aren't in the "settling" mood.

Agreed, I too have learned to temper my expectations and consider, we have telegraphed to the league we are broke and these guys are for sale which has been about a 10 year pattern routinely lowering value, we almost universally get hosed in deals confirmed by non biased observers and deal exclusively from positions of weakness, we now have what appears to be an inexperienced GM who has been mandated to trade these players whilst working with 1 of the smallest staffs, an incredibly strict and unrealistic budget and virtually no experience around him.

Add in the rental market decreasing returns and I think Sens fans would be foolish to expect anything better than a late 1st to 2nd round pick, a team's 5th to 10th best prospect and a roster cap dump for any of the UFA's

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
This is true, but leafs fans are worse. So much worse.

I am really not so sure about that. There are a handfull of ridiculous leaf fans that are intollerable (Cantlosewithmatthews, Halla, Leaffever etc) but overall I think they are far more educated than the average habs fan.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009

Yeah and maybe Edmonton can dump some other players on some other teams.. it doesn't have to be all us, but it wouldn't kill us to take on some players from them if the return was right.

Sekera (should play) + Manning (is playing) + Spooner (is buried) (9 million$ all expire by our window)

+ Pulj + Yamamoto + 1st 2019 or +Bouchard (RD) + 1st 2019

for

Stone

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
I'm trying to manage my expectations.

As far as I can tell there are two scenarios but either way we are going to get depth players/draft picks as the core of the return(s). St Louis, Kovalchuk, Carter, Karlsson, Hossa etc. were all traded (some with term) and I don't think any returned a blue-chip prospect.

I'm expecting the trade return(s) will build out our depth. One to two years of tanking will give us our bluechippers.

Only then will we be able to move forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: derriko

GoodGoodnotBad

May 11, 2013
Winnipeg/Ottawa/Moncton
Yeah and maybe Edmonton can dump some other players on some other teams.. it doesn't have to be all us, but it wouldn't kill us to take on some players from them if the return was right.

Sekera (should play) + Manning (is playing) + Spooner (is buried) (9 million$ all expire by our window)

+ Pulj + Yamamoto + 1st 2019 or +Bouchard (RD) + 1st 2019

for

Stone
Out of curiosity, why is EDM trading so much for Stone? they likely wont make the playoffs. Seems like a high price for a couple months of Stone

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
Out of curiosity, why is EDM trading so much for Stone? they likely wont make the playoffs. Seems like a high price for a couple months of Stone

Well in this scenario they are dumping 9 million$ in cap dumps to us so they can sign Stone.. so they would be trading for Stone knowing he is gonna sign there... hence the big return

Its the only way they could land a Stone right now... its a team we would have their backs up against the wall and they are only 6 points out of a playoff spot with a game in hand.

Adding Stone would allow them to separate Mcdavid and Draisaitl.. should stabilize their top 2 lines a little.. and give them a better chance this year and moving forward.

Reactions: GoodGoodnotBad

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
If/when Stone and Duchene leave there’s a case to be made for any of Pageau Smith or Borowiecki to be named captain, but I think it more likely they simply give the 3 of them A’s until Tkachuk/Chabot is ready.

CTC

Oct 9, 2014
If/when Stone and Duchene leave there’s a case to be made for any of Pageau Smith or Borowiecki to be named captain, but I think it more likely they simply give the 3 of them A’s until Tkachuk/Chabot is ready.

I can get behind this. Makes sense to me. Smith was on waivers this year, Boro would anger the fans given his recent pro glue company guy mantra, and Pageau seems to be the best choice but still seems like a tertiary player to be a Captain so I do not see them going with them as Captain, 3 A's is the way to go until the team figures out what it really wants to be.

Reactions: Clayonator

h2

Mar 26, 2002
I am really not so sure about that. There are a handfull of ridiculous leaf fans that are intollerable (Cantlosewithmatthews, Halla, Leaffever etc) but overall I think they are far more educated than the average habs fan.

Agree there, the average Leafs fan is much more reasonable than your average Habs fan. Habs are the worst, remember that 1st playoff series vs Montreal? The amount of excuses was almost intolerable.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
What would you pay him?

I think 5 x 5/6 years is probably around what he will get and while I think he is worth it that total still makes me nervous...
I would be nervous about that as well. Not convinced he is worth that has always had decent lines to play with in Ottawa. Possibly a bit overvalued.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Agree there, the average Leafs fan is much more reasonable than your average Habs fan.

The average Leafs fan thinks his team is better than yours at any given point in time because however bad their team is, yours is worse.

The average Habs fan thinks his team is better than yours at any given point in time because however good your team is, theirs is better.

It's a small difference in language, but a huge difference in attitude.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Are Ceci and GM Pierre Dorion both from same hometown Orleans? Do you really think he is going to be able to part with him?

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Are Ceci and GM Pierre Dorion both from same hometown Orleans? Do you really think he is going to be able to part with him?

I hope so too, but I'm skeptical that we'll move Ceci because management has an unusual liking to him.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I hope so too, but I'm skeptical that we'll move Ceci because management has an unusual liking to him.

He has to be moved or extended before July 1st 2020 or else we lose him for nothing to free agency. He has also apparently turned down a long term extension in the summer.

We have an advantage right now, because there isn't a lot on the market in terms of defense. Especially right handed defense.

Reactions: h2

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Maybe part of the reason Ceci hasn't been moved is to not tick off Mark Stone. This team has already seen enough "Wives Gone Wild", and Ceci and Stone's significant others are sisters, so maybe trading Ceci would piss off Stone's GF, etc, etc. This team does not need any more significant other drama.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Maybe part of the reason Ceci hasn't been moved is to not tick off Mark Stone. This team has already seen enough "Wives Gone Wild", and Ceci and Stone's significant others are sisters, so maybe trading Ceci would piss off Stone's GF, etc, etc. This team does not need any more significant other drama.

I don't think this makes sense if it's true that Ceci turned down an extension, and Stone hasn't re-sign yet. Judging by their actions, neither are prioritizing staying in Ottawa. I doubt either would be shocked if the other is traded before the end of their contracts.

Ceci hasn't been dealt yet most likely because nobody has met whatever our price is. Probably consists of a 1st round pick+.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Naming a Captain, for the equivalent of the Titanic!

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
I guess we will know this week either way

I really wish Dorion wasnt a mumbling f*** up though, that would help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad