Rumor: Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread: Draft day edition: Pt 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

North

Jun 25, 2009
The NMC doesn't bother me much (I don't expect his play to deteriorate over the next two years that he'll need to be waived) but I was hoping if he got one the salary would decrease a bit. It could be an issue if there's another expansion draft.

Post #946. Rishaug said it on Gregor's show Friday.

I think if there is another expansion draft, that's the draft the Oilers would make a move to protect assets using a draft pick.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Really? Isn't a NMC a ramped-up version of a NTC, i.e can't be waived/assigned in addition to cant be traded?

No, not always. As I understand it Russell's deal specifically has a NMC to protect against waivers / AHL assignment for the duration, but a NTC only in the final two seasons.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think Marc-Andre Fleury had a NMC, Modified NTC. Which means he can be traded but cannot be waived.

I believe the Modifed NTC just means that there are certain teams the player is open to being traded to. I assume that means that the player submitted a predetermined list prior to signing.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I believe the Modifed NTC just means that there are certain teams the player is open to being traded to.

Can be anything. List of teams you are willing to go to, list you're not willing to go to, and of any size of list for either. I suppose it's the same thing either way :) List of 10 teams you won't go to = a list of 20 teams you're willing to go to.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Really? Isn't a NMC a ramped-up version of a NTC, i.e can't be waived/assigned in addition to cant be traded?

It is technically possible to have a NMC without a NTC. That has never happened though, to my knowledge. When someone is saying a player has a NMC, they usually assume there is a NTC attached, and many NMC clauses have limited NTC attached.

This is just all nuts though. If Rishaug said that Russell has a NMC over the whole thing and a modified NTC in the last two years, I would assume that he meant that he has a full NTC in the first two years.

But we shall see.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I believe the Modifed NTC just means that there are certain teams the player is open to being traded to. I assume that means that the player submitted a predetermined list prior to signing.

I think most guys with the limited NTC get to submit a list every July 1st of a set amount of teams. Usually its around 10 teams or so but every contract has different stipulations.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Would Minny add a good pick or prospect in a RNH and Nurse for Koivu and Dumba deal? That's the type of trade that might win us a cup next year but obviously Koivu is getting to the end of the road at this point in his career. Still a Selke level 2nd line C right now though and the deal makes some sense considering contract term. Maybe Koivu would re-sign at a reasonable rate for another 2-3 years if he had success here.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Would Minny add a good pick or prospect in a RNH and Nurse for Koivu and Dumba deal? That's the type of trade that might win us a cup next year but obviously Koivu is getting to the end of the road at this point in his career. Still a Selke level 2nd line C right now though and the deal makes some sense considering contract term. Maybe Koivu would re-sign at a reasonable rate for another 2-3 years if he had success here.

Minny wants to win a Cup, too. That and Dumba would cause some heads to spin around and fall off on here - he still leaves a lot to be desired in his own zone.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Can be anything. List of teams you are willing to go to, list you're not willing to go to, and of any size of list for either. I suppose it's the same thing either way :) List of 10 teams you won't go to = a list of 20 teams you're willing to go to.

I think most guys with the limited NTC get to submit a list every July 1st of a set amount of teams. Usually its around 10 teams or so but every contract has different stipulations.

Good stuff...thanks guys.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
If Russell has a NMC throughout the deal and a modified NTC in the final 2 years it would generally mean he can't be moved at all (waivers or trade) in the first two years.
In the final two years he could be traded to a team that met the conditions of the modified NTC but still cannot be sent down or waived.
It would also mean he would require protection in any expansion draft throughout the 4 years.
If this is the case, it puts the team in a horrible situation for any expansion draft and makes moving the player very difficult. It makes a questionable signing absolutely terrible.
I haven't seen this confirmed any where though and I really hope it's not the case.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
If Russell has a NMC throughout the deal and a modified NTC in the final 2 years it would generally mean he can't be moved at all (waivers or trade) in the first two years.
In the final two years he could be traded to a team that met the conditions of the modified NTC but still cannot be sent down or waived.
It would also mean he would require protection in any expansion draft throughout the 4 years.
If this is the case, it puts the team in a horrible situation for any expansion draft and makes moving the player very difficult. It makes a questionable signing absolutely terrible.
I haven't seen this confirmed any where though and I really hope it's not the case.

because expansion drafts happen all the time, with the same rules even.
:popcorn::help:

what is with all these .. omgz future expansion may be a problem posts.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-not-considering-further-expansion-at-this-time/c-290043516

Oilyveins97*

Jun 11, 2017
Manitoba
Not sure how to post it. But Matheson just tweeted this...

Feeling is Detroit may have inside track on the RW Foo after his visit there where they rolled out red carpet showing him new rink

Oilyveins97*

Jun 11, 2017
Manitoba
This also....

College UFA Spencer Foo will decide between Det. Vegas, Edm in next few days. Will getting Strome (RW), drafting Yamamoto (RW) hurt Edm?

Jun 9, 2011
For the most part I am find articles that a NMC means the player can not be traded waived or sent down at all. So you are correct, but we don't know if Russell has a NMC, or just a NTC (still limits what management can do with him), for the last 2 years.

Here is an example of the articles I am finding on NMC vs NTC.
http://winnipeghockeytalk.com/nhl-n...ence-no-trade-no-movement-clauses-nhl-players

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Keep waiting for some legit rumours as to who we're going to talk to.

Edmonton media guys are letting us down here.

I think it's more Chiarelli has a super tight lid on things. Even our resident insider "Speedy Turtle" rarely posts with solid info anymore. I think he/she posted trade deadline was going to be an interesting day and the only move was Davidson for Desharnais the night before. I dont think he/she gave any prior info on the day the Eberle (or Hall) trade went down (despite Bob saying as much a week or two prior) either so PC has either outed his leaks and re-assigned that person to other duties or he's in full control allowing small leaks out here and there through Stauffer.

Jun 9, 2011
Not sure how to post it. But Matheson just tweeted this...

Feeling is Detroit may have inside track on the RW Foo after his visit there where they rolled out red carpet showing him new rink
Our rink is kinda new. Be funny if he based his decision on which rink he liked best haha.
Is this guy a nice addition or is he someone we really covet?

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
For the most part I am find articles that a NMC means the player can not be traded waived or sent down at all. So you are correct, but we don't know if Russell has a NMC, or just a NTC (still limits what management can do with him), for the last 2 years.

Here is an example of the articles I am finding on NMC vs NTC.
http://winnipeghockeytalk.com/nhl-n...ence-no-trade-no-movement-clauses-nhl-players

Yeah I don't really think it exists. Haven't seen it anywhere outside of that radio bit. Hopefully not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad