Rumor: Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread: Draft day edition: Pt 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
I find it hilarious how much more value some fans place on "known" prospects than picks. For example, a number of people are furious that Chiarelli wouldn't move a 1st and two 2nd rounders for Hamonic and yet some of those same people would likely be upset if a similar deal was proposed in a year that involved Yamomoto.

A lot of Flames fans seem satisfied with the deal for Hamonic but they likely would have been really upset if the Flames traded Valimaki (1st), Kylington (2nd), and Andersson (2nd).

The reality is that we all fall in love with our prospects and see big futures for them. Picks do hold value, and while Hamonic is a player I like, a 1st and two 2nd rounders is certainly a fairly steep price to pay.

This what I've been trying to type without finding the right words.

These nameless picks are easy to gloss over but it was still a hefty price to pay. Flames are taking a big gamble here especially with a fairly bare pipeline.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Now but we did choose to bet our money on him instead of finding a better RHD to cover his slot, remember "WHO ELSE IS AN OPTION OTHER THAN RUSSELL?" Well Hamonic was.

In exchange for taking the 2018 draft off. Flames keep their pipeline bare for a bit of a recovery project. It's a risk both ways.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Eberle was bad last year and fans couldn't wait to ship him out . While I agree he needed to go because he doesn't not bring anything else to the table at 6 million . I just don't get wanting to run to Hamonic who had a really bad season . He has also had 4 or 5 concussion in his career and now he coming to a harder hitting western conference . Russell played well for us and having a united dressing room has some value . Then there Russell contract . NTC does not kick in for 2 years . He gets the most of his money this year so his contract is movable . 90% of Chia moves pay off . Then there those bring up the Hamilton trade . Not Chia fault Boston is being childish and asking for more from Edmonton then Calgary . I like Calgary , not near as much as the Oilers and as one said trading all their picks will catch up to them . Most Flames fans think they have a great group of prospects , but none take into consideration how many will bust ( As in make the NHL ) Our prospect pool is bare enough with out trading all our picks which is smart on Chia as he knows we will need cheaper players on ELC to replace players as they price themselves out of Edmonton

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
In exchange for taking the 2018 draft off. Flames keep their pipeline bare for a bit of a recovery project. It's a risk both ways.

If we're trading for Hamonic, we're better on the back end and likely finishing around the same area, I.E 22 or later for our pick. Why would our 1st rounder hold that much value at that point? Our second rounders never turn out as well, so they should hold basically zero value to us at this point.

Hamonic is a player under 4 mil AAV for the next three years, RHD who has put up points and plays competent defense. Sure, he had a bad year last year, but if Chia had any negotiating skill in his body that would be used as leverage.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
Not if we are sending money the other way.

We can't afford Shattenkirk, but Barrie is definitely an option.

That clears cap space not a roster spot. This is Chia's D. Long term money on Russell cements it.
Hope I'm wrong.
The best move we made this week is drafting the smallest player ever drafted in the first round.
Bad week.

Can't wait for the part of the offseason where we improve the team.
It's coming right?

Right?

Please?

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Flames are racking up debt on their credit card.

These is actually a rather risky deal for them IMO.

Really risky. The Flames have ~ $15 m in cap space. They need to sign four forwards, two defencemen and a backup goalie. Sam Bennett's QO is $3.2 m. That leaves $12 m for 6 bodies. Gotta go cheap the rest of the way...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad