Sportsnet: Trade Rumours and Free Agent Talk: Tavares and JVR mentioned

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
If and it's a big if you can get a solid enough return I'm fine with the trade.
The team becomes more about speed and 2 way game IMO.

Hyman Matthews Nylander
Marleau Kadri Marner
Kapanen Bozak Brown
Soshnikov Moore Komarov

Kapanen might not be as good a goal scorer right now, but he plays a more complete game, is faster, plays the PK and is much cheaper.

If a team like St Louis is loading up and willing to trade a Kyrou type to make it happen id be very interested.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'd be very happy if the Leafs moved JVR plus whatever else it would take for Tavares.

Not sure it makes much sense for the Islanders though.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
I can't see how JVR would get much more than a 2nd round pick + something else.

If that's all we are getting than we may as well keep him.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
I'm thinking returns on players are gonna be lower than fans expect. There seem to be a few players of the same quality available. Could be just me though.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I'd be very happy if the Leafs moved JVR plus whatever else it would take for Tavares.

Not sure it makes much sense for the Islanders though.

Tavares? haha That's funny.

How about add one of Marner/Nylander, then Liljegren and the 2018 first.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Tavares? haha That's funny.

How about add one of Marner/Nylander, then Liljegren and the 2018 first.
He wasn't saying JVR straight up for Tavares.

And no, the Leafs don't touch that at all. JVR + Marner/Nylander + Liljegren + 1st? Lol.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I can't see how JVR would get much more than a 2nd round pick + something else.

If that's all we are getting than we may as well keep him.
Don't know where you get that from because every comparable to JVR (top line winger) returned a 1st++

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
If I was the Leafs looking at JVR, this is what I'd be doing:

1. Try to sign him to a reasonable extension before the deadline (maximum 6Mx6)
2. If no extension can be done, tell the league he's available for the right price.
3. If nobody steps up to a Lucic/Ryan like return (1st + young roster player + prospect), possibly settle for something a little bit under that.
4. If nobody gives you what you're looking for, take him for one more playoff run, and see if you can sign him as a FA for a similar contract/let him go.

In regards to Bozak (just because):
1. Try to sign him to a 1-2 year deal, under $4M a season.
2. If not, make him available for the right price.
3. Look for a Hanzal return (1st + 2nd, + 4th + prospect)
4. When nobody will obviously pay that because that's ridiculous, look for a 1st+prospect.
5. (#4 JVR)

I'd be interested in recouping assets for both of these guys if we're not going to bring them back, but there's no NEED for us to do it. Take them on one more playoff run and let them go instead of selling them for something that makes us worse short term, and not much better long-term.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
The Leafs are in a somewhat unique situation as it pertains to JVR and the deadline as a whole. They are pretty much guaranteed a playoff spot this year given how weak the Atlantic is, so dropping JVR won't hurt them much. Although I'm sure they'd like to get to the 2nd round, is JVR the difference for that? With the right offer they could make a move and have the winger depth anyway. I agree with others, JVR is a much better pickup than Kane.

Perhaps best move I think for the Leafs is to sell the rentals (JVR/Bozak) for futures and flip those assets for a longer term player. I originally wanted to keep the "own rentals", but given the playoff situation I don't see why they can't play both sides this deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->