Sportsnet: Trade Rumours and Free Agent Talk: Tavares and JVR mentioned

Mckay

I find your lack of gravy disturbing.
Mar 5, 2014
Canada
Those that want him traded, I hope you won't feel too bad when he stays for playoffs.

I'll never understand those who want a perpetual rebuild. President's trophy winners don't usually win the cup nowadays... get in and anything can happen.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
you can't get a RHD for a rental, unless of course it is another rental but I don't remember the last time a rental for rental trade happened.

Hence you are likely to get futures so trading JVR is pointless because all it does is create a hole and weaken the team.

It seems you didn't even read my post... haha.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Leafs would be 4th in the central and in a wild card spot 1 point up on Dallas. They play in the weakest division in the league

That's cute and all... but it's an assumption void of facts. They've only played 11 games in division, are 5-3-2 against the Central division, 10-5-0 against the Pacific. If the belief that they play in the weakest division, and they have 17 games left within the division, it should further support their place in the standings.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Why would they trade him? If it's because of the cap, then why did they sign Marleau?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
That's a great message to send to the team/young guys. "I know we are in the hunt for the playoffs, but you guys arent good enough so we will trade some guys and make ourselves worse."

Is the better message... we aren't going to asset manage well, and let our best trading chip go for nothing, instead of working to improve the team long-term? Besides... chances are, if JvR goes, they will bring an upgrade on the Right side, for the back end. Again, for other members of the forum, who can't read too well (not you), those are likely separate transactions. Move JvR, for pieces that will be with us now.... not just futures, and fix the back end... we've got guys who can move into the roster on Wing....

PlietscherDassel

Dec 3, 2009
As mentioned before i think it would be a good thing for the Leafs to trade him. JVR is a very talented player, a great goal scorer and one of the best players in front of the net. However he is a bad fit for what Babcock wants this team to play an look like. We have talented players that can take his place. They may not be as good on an individual level but they would make us a better and more balanced team. Don't get me wrong, i don't want the team to be a seller. I want them to improve (defensively) by trading him.

brock0791

Jul 2, 2015
Toronto isn't a city who just cares about getting in. As easy as the Atlantic is to get into the playoffs it also means they have to face a top 5 overall standings team first round

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Was hoping they would get what could for JVR. Meaning a first rounder+ as I know few teams could use JVR goal scoring. How could leafs replace him well they have wingers waiting and not going to be offsetting his goals but if give another some playing time in NHL. Kapanen and Leivo should be playing more.

Last edited:

brock0791

Jul 2, 2015
I can see Bozak being the one to move because he's the least likely to be resigned and at the trade deadline, offensive 2Cs with good FO abilities almost always return an overpayment.
In a perfect world, the Leafs would deal Bozak to someone looking for a 2C and then the Leafs could use some of the assets from him to trade for a defensive 3C.

Bozak isn't a 2c especially on a contender.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Bozak isn't a 2c especially on a contender.
Well, every stat disagrees with you about him being a 2C but I'll agree that he isn't a 2C on a contender...but contending teams already have 2Cs (or they wouldn't be contenders) but teams value depth, injury replacement or if they are non-contender looking to make a push past the 1st round.
There will be a market.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Not much of a race they are like 15 points up on a playoff spot. They could trade JVR and it won’t many any difference. Smart management would Get what they can for him because he ain’t being re signed.
I would agree with you if it wasn't for the fact that you need players like JVR if you're going deep into the playoffs and heading for the cup. All the Leafs need is a couple of players to get hot at the right time and they're in the mix.

Trading a guy like JVR when you have the chance is good asset management but not when you're a team trying to maximize the number of playoff dates.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I would agree with you if it wasn't for the fact that you need players like JVR if you're going deep into the playoffs and heading for the cup. All the Leafs need is a couple of players to get hot at the right time and they're in the mix.

Trading a guy like JVR when you have the chance is good asset management but not when you're a team trying to maximize the number of playoff dates.
People often tend to overlook the actual value of this ,is a pick worth not having him for a run???I would say no in the Leafs case

Reactions: Liferleafer

brock0791

Jul 2, 2015
Well, every stat disagrees with you about him being a 2C but I'll agree that he isn't a 2C on a contender...but contending teams already have 2Cs (or they wouldn't be contenders) but teams value depth, injury replacement or if they are non-contender looking to make a push past the 1st round.
There will be a market.

76 in C ppg (granted nhl.com has a lot of players in the list who aren't true C's)
73 in C FW%
-4 despite 60.4% 5v5 offensive zone starts

Which stats disagree with me?

I'd say he's a very good 3c

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
People often tend to overlook the actual value of this ,is a pick worth not having him for a run???I would say no in the Leafs case
I agree. I would be the first one to suggest trading him for a pick if the Leafs were out of playoff contention by 4-6 points but given their present situation they'd best hold on to him and hope he gets hot when it counts.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
they aren't contenders because the team isn't good. just because we signed marleau doesn't mean we are a powerhouse in the east. he just added to a strength whereas the weakness still remains

How many examples of 8th seeds going to the cup finals do we need to realize once the playoffs start anybody can win? That's just how the NHL goes; it's not like other pro sports where upsets upsets are more difficult to come by. The Leafs can most certainly contend right now. I'm of the opinion they should still trade JVR though because I think they're best shot to win a cup will be in 2-3 years when the big guys are in their prime and that's the window they should be shooting for. But having said that I think they've got a very real shot at winning it this year so I'm torn on JVR because he's irreplaceable within.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
How many examples of 8th seeds going to the cup finals do we need to realize once the playoffs start anybody can win? That's just how the NHL goes; it's not like other pro sports where upsets upsets are more difficult to come by. The Leafs can most certainly contend right now. I'm of the opinion they should trade JVR because I think they're best shot to win a cup will be in 2-3 years when the big guys are in their prime and that's the window they should be shooting for. But having said that I think they've got a very real shot at winning it this year so I'm torn on JVR because he's irreplaceable within.
jvr is very replaceable. his replacement is a healthy scratch night in and night out and will be much cheaper than jvr.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
jvr is very replaceable. his replacement is a healthy scratch night in and night out and will be much cheaper than jvr.

Ok.....I assume you're referring to Leivo? If so, you're sadly mistaken. I think Leivo's got NHL game for sure, but he's given zero indication to show he's got anywhere near the skills to do what jvr does. People fall in love with the points he put up in a small sample size, but the reality is he's not a young player anymore and has still failed to crack the NHL full time. There's a reason for that and it's not just Babcock being stubborn.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I also think that Babcock could shift the focus and ice time of some of the other lines once JVR is moved.

The Leafs can exist and be competitive without a JVR Bozak Marner line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad