Sportsnet: Trade Rumours and Free Agent Talk: Tavares and JVR mentioned

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
you can't be a contender without being a playoff team

and yes they are contenders, I have been saying it since the past summer when they signed Marleau

No, we aren't contenders. We'd be closer to being a contender, moving him, and somehow obtaining a top RHD... probably separate transactions.

The smart long-term move, is trading JvR, unless he is willing to sign for something like 4 x $5mil

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
No, we aren't contenders. We'd be closer to being a contender, moving him, and somehow obtaining a top RHD... probably separate transactions.

The smart long-term move, is trading JvR, unless he is willing to sign for something like 4 x $5mil

you can't get a RHD for a rental, unless of course it is another rental but I don't remember the last time a rental for rental trade happened.

Hence you are likely to get futures so trading JVR is pointless because all it does is create a hole and weaken the team.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
Owners who want/need the extra revenue playoff games provide care about the playoffs and so do GMs who want/need contract renewals.

And the ones who care the most; the players. What kind of signal does it send to the Leafs team if they trade JvR for a late 1st?

"Yeah, good job getting to the playoffs guys, but we don't really believe in you and would rather have a late 1st that might help us 3-5 years down the road than being bumped early 'cause let's face it; You guys aren't going anywhere in the playoffs against the divisional teams who are much better than you".

For the average hf-er it's horrible being a playoff-team a year you have players like JvR, Bozak and Komarov go UFA, because picks>playoffs. I mean, just imagine that late 1st and a couple of 2nds! They could even be NHL players like those who were traded for said picks!

Keep 'em all three. No team in the East is unbeatable for the Leafs, despite dat D.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
leafs are definitely not moving jvr. they are in a comfortable spot in the standings

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
you can't be a contender without being a playoff team

and yes they are contenders, I have been saying it since the past summer when they signed Marleau
they aren't contenders because the team isn't good. just because we signed marleau doesn't mean we are a powerhouse in the east. he just added to a strength whereas the weakness still remains

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
they aren't contenders because the team isn't good. just because we signed marleau doesn't mean we are a powerhouse in the east. he just added to a strength whereas the weakness still remains

Leafs would be 4th in the central and in a wild card spot 1 point up on Dallas. They play in the weakest division in the league

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

the team is in the top 10 in the NHL standings as of today, on pace for close to, maybe even above 100 points but somehow they aren't good?

ya that makes sense......

TheKingSlayer

He was in the way!
Mar 12, 2008
Ottawa
Leafs would be 4th in the central and in a wild card spot 1 point up on Dallas. They play in the weakest division in the league

This argument is so bogus. The schedules are completely different. You can't compare a team from the East to a team from the West. Come on. Oh, and we just creamed Dallas BTW.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
It begs the question: do the leafs lose their comfortable spot in the East without JVR?
probably not. we're still a better team than the panthers/sabres/habs/wings/sens and jvr doesn't anything else other than tip in pucks. we could replace him with leivo to do the exact same thing.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
the team is in the top 10 in the NHL standings as of today, on pace for close to, maybe even above 100 points but somehow they aren't good?

ya that makes sense......
when i said good i meant great. we'e a good team sure but not a great one. also we are on pace for 98 points. what a great team eh?

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
doesn't matter. we're 4-3-1 against the bottom feeders so we're certainly not helping our own cause.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
when i said good i meant great. we'e a good team sure but not a great one. also we are on pace for 98 points. what a great team eh?

well I did say close to 100 so I wasn't far off, and yes considering where this team was 18 months ago this is great

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
My 2 cents is JVR gets more then Kane if both guys are available

That's probably a safe bet (assuming a competent GM). Leafs could leverage that they're in a playoff spot to get additional/better assets from a team.

Their best bet to compete might be JVR +Bozak(?) for an impending UFA d-man, since the team seems to be over flowing with quality forwards. Then trying to re-sign the d-man rather than banking on the draft or free agency.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

IWD

May 28, 2003
Visit site
It would be a really strange time to move him when they're in a playoff race.

I wouldn't exactly call it a race at this point, but if you could improve the team by packaging him with Gardiner, for example, you could probably get a good young player in return.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Who cares about playoffs
Leafs are not cup contenders
Trade him
That's a great message to send to the team/young guys. "I know we are in the hunt for the playoffs, but you guys arent good enough so we will trade some guys and make ourselves worse."

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
That's a great message to send to the team/young guys. "I know we are in the hunt for the playoffs, but you guys arent good enough so we will trade some guys and make ourselves worse."
whats the point in making the playoffs if we're just gonna lose in the 1st round? why waste assets when we can build for the future? thats the whole point of this rebuild.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
really so a 2nd straight year of losing in the opening round is great?

you assume that will happen, I don't think that will, I fully expect Toronto to once again overtake Boston for 2nd place in the Atlantic and then take them out in round 1.

The Bruins have yet to prove they can beat this version of Toronto, with or without Matthews and now they are without Marchand and Macavoy, I expect them to hit a snag in short order

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->