Speculation: Trade Rumors/Speculation Thread Part II (Mod warning post #861)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PIM

Aug 1, 2013
NY
That's the first I've ever heard that Miller projects to be better the Callahan. Similar player yes but at this point in time I don't see better.

If he peaks at the same level as Callahan production wise, he's more valuable because he can play center. That's a big if though.

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
Playing for an original 6 team is so overrated. Why does a 20 something give a **** about whether a team is an original 6 team? It's a soundbite that players say as one of the reasons they want to play for the Rangers, because it sounds a lot better than "they were offering the most money".

hahahhah deff!! players are drawn to play for traditions and yess $$$ is everything.. but if you notice all org 6 are in top cities in the world to live.. hockey players are way different then other professional athletes. i may be naive to say.. but i actually think they give a **** where they live and who they play for..

oh and we're trading for buf not signing him.. its different when winning matters and your in the big lights in a big city..

BarbaraAlphanse

That's the first I've ever heard that Miller projects to be better the Callahan. Similar player yes but at this point in time I don't see better.

Callahan didn't have the raw offensive skill Miller has. It took him a while to really get going offensively, consistently.

JT is much cooler with the puck, and has many of the skills it took Callahan years to develop already.

I feel like people on this board need to give our prospects a longer time to show us what they have. Miller will only get better and better as he gets stronger, more confident, and plays with better players.

Pyatt isn't gonna optimize his skills. It's why we don't see Brassard get much production outside of the powerplay lately.

Putting Cally with Miller and Brassard will do them both wonders. Thing is Nash isn't here so that spot on the first line with Hags and Richards will go to Cally until (if) he gets back.

It's all about putting players that have complementary skill sets on a line to get them to really come out. Pyatt is killing everyone's momentum on whichever line he plays on. He's just not being productive enough for anyone. He's throwing off both Brassard and Miller. Need players to be in sync to really get an accurate depiction of what they can do at this level - i.e finally putting Kreider with Stepan.

Miller and Callahan need to be together. Kreider and Stepan need to be together. Hagelin and Nash need to be together. Zucc is really gelling with Kreider and Step. Brassard will pick up his play with 2 energy guys. And Richie will have a field day with both Hags and Nash.

Optimize your lines with complementary skill sets. Torts never learned. It's taking Vigneault a little bit of time to realize this but he's finally coming around.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Is there a chance that Yakupov is available? Or is this all strictly speculation?

In short, EDM is in the same situation as Que/Col were in the mid 90s. Que/Col sent Sundin for Wendell Clarke, Nolan for Ozolinsh, Rucinsky and Kovalenko for Roy etc.

EDM will need to make moves. But it's really tough on the market today. They really need a goalie and a top 2-way D. Maybe some grit at wing.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I think Zinbanejads style fits this team well. He takes the puck to the net and he is a good sniper that can back away to get open and fire away. We don't quite have that.

If Ott is looking for a D, and MDZ has played well against them in the past..., maybe MDZ and Kristo for Mika Zinbanejad and a 3rd is an option?

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Ottawa's in a funny position right now. A very good first line, but no proven top 6 forwards after that. They're looking very similar to the pre lockout teams with Alfie, Spezza, and Heatley as their top line, with no depth after that. For that reason, I don't think they'll trade Zibanejad. Their defense is rather decent, maybe they can upgrade their bottom pairing if anything, they have Lehner to take over as goalie, and a great coach, they'll be fine.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
When Callahan and Moore return,the Rangers shouldn't have Miller playing on the 4th line. Miller played on the 4th line with Pyatt and Mashinter on Saturday. AV matched up Boyle's line with Brassard and Dorsett against the Staal brothers. Miller needs to play. He has been the net presence on the 2nd PP unit. Not sure what happens when Callahan returns because Kreider is the net presence on the 1st PP unit. The Rangers are better off having Miller play major minutes in the AHL than 4th line minutes or even limited 3rd line minutes. They can call him up later again.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Playing for an original 6 team is so overrated. Why does a 20 something give a **** about whether a team is an original 6 team? It's a soundbite that players say as one of the reasons they want to play for the Rangers, because it sounds a lot better than "they were offering the most money".

Don't get me wrong. I think the team that offers the most money is going to get the player 9 out of 10 times.

That said, if all things are equal, I think a player chooses to play for an O6 team.

What I like about hockey, at least from my own perspective and opinion is that hockey players and fans care a great deal about the history of the game alot more than do players and fans of other sports.

But yes, a younger player is going to take the money. But if the money and opportunity are the same, they are going with O6.

I 100% believe that.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
With the new alignment, limiting trades to only teams that are outside of the division is much harder. Edmonton makes the most sense for Del Zotto, but I'd be really surprised to see him going as the main piece in a deal for Yakupov, even despite his struggles this year. Plus, with the team clicking, and our two best RW's in the press box as it is, do we really want to add another one?

Honestly, I think a guy like Brayden Schenn would be a nice add. Kid has upside, plays a gritty game, and would be cheaper to acquire than Yakupov. Perhaps the offensive upside isn't on par with Yakupov's, but Schenn fits the mold of many of our younger players while still being very skilled.

If you mean offensively limited 2nd liner? Yes, he fits that mold very well.

We have a few offensively limited 2nd liners.

What we need, and Schenn has not shown to be that, is LEGIT top line talent.

I have seen nothing from Schenn that makes me think "special"

Looks to be a solid player, but 2nd/3rd line tweener.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Not a fan of Buff. Overrated. How is he going to look in a Vigneault system? He's not the most fleet of foot.

you may not be a fan and that is your right.

But Buff has been posting 50+ point seasons for three straight years.

That point shot on this PP would be something we haven't seen since I don't know when.

He plays over 24 minutes a night. All of a sudden hsi weight is going to be an issue here when it really hasn't been an issue anywhere else?

Dude is a beast of a player and just like the Bruins do with Chara late in games, we can have him and Kreider set up camp in front and cause all sorts of madness for opposing defenceman.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I think Zinbanejads style fits this team well. He takes the puck to the net and he is a good sniper that can back away to get open and fire away. We don't quite have that.

If Ott is looking for a D, and MDZ has played well against them in the past..., maybe MDZ and Kristo for Mika Zinbanejad and a 3rd is an option?

Mika Z would be a wicked right handed shooting LW'er for this team.

as for the offer, I would be OK with that package as much as I would like to see Kristo on the Rangers.

Getting Mika would be a big addition.

Kreider - Stepan - Nash
Hagelin - Richards - Pouliot
Zibanejad - Brassard - Callahan
Boyle - Miller - Dorsett

dangerous

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
If you mean offensively limited 2nd liner? Yes, he fits that mold very well.

We have a few offensively limited 2nd liners.

What we need, and Schenn has not shown to be that, is LEGIT top line talent.

I have seen nothing from Schenn that makes me think "special"

Looks to be a solid player, but 2nd/3rd line tweener.

I'm not looking for "special." I want a guy who can fit with the team identity, fill a void, and grow with the team. Schenn is a defensively responsible power forward who can hit and line up at LW or C, and he also happens to have very good offensive potential. Is he going to be a 40 goal scorer? Probably not, but I'm fine with the 60 point ceiling I believe he has.

This "legit top line talent" bit has become such a nauseating buzz phrase around here. This team has been chasing "legit top line talent" for the last twenty years and it's done jack **** for us. More of the same in Ranger land. Chase the big talent and throw the notion of actual team building out the window. :rolleyes:

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
We need Dustin Bufflons big shot on the PP Pierre McGuire said he uses a big stick and it helps him.

Really though are we trading for him now or?

DB + Burmistrov's rights for MDZ and JT Miller.

McSauer

Defense Wins Games
Feb 18, 2004
Jersey City, NJ
Mika Z would be a wicked right handed shooting LW'er for this team.

as for the offer, I would be OK with that package as much as I would like to see Kristo on the Rangers.

Getting Mika would be a big addition.

Kreider - Stepan - Nash
Hagelin - Richards - Pouliot
Zibanejad - Brassard - Callahan
Boyle - Miller - Dorsett

dangerous

Zucc?

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
The Rangers need to wait before they start making moves.

More than anything, the team (regardless of who they've played) has started to gel even without callahan and Nash. They are scoring more, giving up less, and have won 4 out of their last 5. Now we want to start changing the roster....AGAIN? Its stupid. Let them play. And especially let them play because if they can keep winning and get to a level of consistency, they will have more leverage if and when they do decide to make a trade. We have extra pieces that we maybe could deal if we need a certain player(s). Zucc, Boyle, Pouliot, Pyatt, Miller, Kristo, Del Zotto; depending on who you want to keep out of them, you could possibly choose a combination of that group to make a trade. But Nash and Callahan need to come back and show they are healthy before you make a deal.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I'm not looking for "special." I want a guy who can fit with the team identity, fill a void, and grow with the team. Schenn is a defensively responsible power forward who can hit and line up at LW or C, and he also happens to have very good offensive potential. Is he going to be a 40 goal scorer? Probably not, but I'm fine with the 60 point ceiling I believe he has.

This "legit top line talent" bit has become such a nauseating buzz phrase around here. This team has been chasing "legit top line talent" for the last twenty years and it's done jack **** for us. More of the same in Ranger land. Chase the big talent and throw the notion of actual team building out the window. :rolleyes:

He's redundant on this roster.

And I don't see 60 points out of this guy. That would put him on par with Stepan and ahead of Callahan and I'm not seeing that level of talent from him.

the reason the top line talent buzz phrase is nauseating is because we don't have it outside of Nash and MAYBE Stepan.

It's something that, until this team can get, will continue to be it's achellies heel.

Wanna know what makes me ill? The phrase of "solid two way player" like that makes it ok for being offensively challenged. We have a team FULL of solid two way players and we have done NOTHING of note with those players. What we need is LEGIT talent and if that means taking a player that is deficient on Defence or in "charachter" so be it. Those guys tend to be the more dangerous players offensively.

With the team we have, I would take Yakupov over Schenn 11 out of 10 times.

We have a solid team. We have depth on D to make a trade for a younger guy that can grow with the team.

I would prefer to give up the extra asset(s) it would take to get a Yakupov than Schenn. Because with all of his warts, he can be a player that can be a danger to score every game where as I don't believe Schenn to be on that same level.

And finally, it has nothing to do with the "big name".

It has everything to do with assessing what this team is lacking and addressing that defecient part of the team.

A young talented sniper that is a danger to score 40+ every year.

We have cake, we have no icing.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
He's redundant on this roster.

And I don't see 60 points out of this guy. That would put him on par with Stepan and ahead of Callahan and I'm not seeing that level of talent from him.

the reason the top line talent buzz phrase is nauseating is because we don't have it outside of Nash and MAYBE Stepan.

It's something that, until this team can get, will continue to be it's achellies heel.

Wanna know what makes me ill? The phrase of "solid two way player" like that makes it ok for being offensively challenged. We have a team FULL of solid two way players and we have done NOTHING of note with those players. What we need is LEGIT talent and if that means taking a player that is deficient on Defence or in "charachter" so be it. Those guys tend to be the more dangerous players offensively.

With the team we have, I would take Yakupov over Schenn 11 out of 10 times.

We have a solid team. We have depth on D to make a trade for a younger guy that can grow with the team.

I would prefer to give up the extra asset(s) it would take to get a Yakupov than Schenn. Because with all of his warts, he can be a player that can be a danger to score every game where as I don't believe Schenn to be on that same level.

And finally, it has nothing to do with the "big name".

It has everything to do with assessing what this team is lacking and addressing that defecient part of the team.

A young talented sniper that is a danger to score 40+ every year.

We have cake, we have no icing.

I particularly agree with the bold. I think Kreider is exactly that but now just needs to produce, and he has been. He has been a force. I still will take the stance that Torts restricted Kreider in that sense. I understand wanting to teach a player the defensive side of the game, but sometimes you need to accept having a couple of players on your roster who are deficient on the defensive side of the game to provide more offense. Tortorella did not want to run that risk. AV is willing to do it; and really because he had no other choice. With all the injuries and the desperate need for scoring, Kreider was called up. I know the Torts Lovers will say it was Kreider's fault for not being engaged last year the way he is now. However, as I said last season, it is hard for an athlete to just go out and play his game when he is constantly overthinking the game because if he makes a mistake he will be glued to the bench.

On Yakupov, I just don't see enough yet at the NHL level to make me drool over him the way some, or many, do on this board. He has talent but he still has a lot to prove. The Rangers don't need prospects if you are going to trade Del Zotto. Because as frustrating as DZ can be, he still offers a lot of offensive talent and ability. He absolutely can produce, the numbers are there. The Rangers need proven top 6 talent if they are going to trade him. Yakupov is not that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad