Speculation: Trade Rumors/Speculation Thread Part II (Mod warning post #861)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Simmonds would be great. Don't see it happening either. Voracek would be a lot more possible. Don't know what the Flyers would be looking for as far as D go. Del Zotto is our most expendable. Don't think they really need him. They already have Streit to lead the offensive end of their pwp. He's better at it than MDZ.

To me the Rangers have a lot of defensive depth but especially on the left side. They could make a move. Aaron Johnson, Justin Falk--maybe even Bickel, Falk or McIlrath would do okay. Brady Skjei should be a player as well.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The Rangers have a lot of players like Simmonds? I absolutely disagree. Maybe you could argue that they used to.

Simmonds would be a perfect player to add. But there is 0 chance the Flyers trade him in the division, to the Rangers no less.

Maybe not a lot, but Kreider and Miller are on tht development curve. What I meant by a lot is that Simmonds is 2/3 line tweener. They need a 1/2 line guy.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
would kill for voracek

The one thing I don't like about Voracek is he is another one from Columbus originally and I'm not sure how I feel about getting all those guys back together. I would really give a look at Couturier. Simmonds I could be convinced on but he seems like more of a Torts guy than an AV guy.

Luckily there are other teams in the league to trade with.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
i dont consider a swap of fringe NHL players significant.

That's the joke.

I would say the Gaborik trade was in-division with the Rangers knowing they would be in with Columbus the following season.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
With the new alignment, limiting trades to only teams that are outside of the division is much harder. Edmonton makes the most sense for Del Zotto, but I'd be really surprised to see him going as the main piece in a deal for Yakupov, even despite his struggles this year. Plus, with the team clicking, and our two best RW's in the press box as it is, do we really want to add another one?

Honestly, I think a guy like Brayden Schenn would be a nice add. Kid has upside, plays a gritty game, and would be cheaper to acquire than Yakupov. Perhaps the offensive upside isn't on par with Yakupov's, but Schenn fits the mold of many of our younger players while still being very skilled.

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
With the new alignment, limiting trades to only teams that are outside of the division is much harder. Edmonton makes the most sense for Del Zotto, but I'd be really surprised to see him going as the main piece in a deal for Yakupov, even despite his struggles this year. Plus, with the team clicking, and our two best RW's in the press box as it is, do we really want to add another one?

Honestly, I think a guy like Brayden Schenn would be a nice add. Kid has upside, plays a gritty game, and would be cheaper to acquire than Yakupov. Perhaps the offensive upside isn't on par with Yakupov's, but Schenn fits the mold of many of our younger players while still being very skilled.

Getting Schenn would be the case of getting the same ol'. We should concentrate on getting playmakers and/or pure goal scorers if we seriously are contemplating of moving 1 or 2 of our own players.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Getting Schenn would be the case of getting the same ol'. We should concentrate on getting playmakers and/or pure goal scorers if we seriously are contemplating of moving 1 or 2 of our own players.

Getting a highly touted 22 y/o who can score, create, hit, agitate and play both ends of the ice is "more of the same ol'"? I must be on the wrong board.

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
Getting a highly touted 22 y/o who can score, create, hit, agitate and play both ends of the ice is "more of the same ol'"? I must be on the wrong board.

Dubinsky, Anisimov, Callahan. Add in the other grinders who may lack or not excel in one avenue of the game, yeah, it is.

Come playoff time, I'm not seeing a Schenn being a sparkplug for our PP. Someone like Yakupov, though..

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Dubinsky, Anisimov, Callahan. Add in the other grinders who may lack or not excel in one avenue of the game, yeah, it is.

Come playoff time, I'm not seeing a Schenn being a sparkplug for our PP. Someone like Yakupov, though..

Yeah. What could we possibly need with another Callahan? Let alone one who has been nearly a PPG in the playoffs as a pro. :rolleyes:

If Dubinsky or Anisimov (Who is a grinder? Seriously?) is your read on Schenn's upside, then you're sadly misinformed. Now a recent first overall pick who is already being chastised for his lack of 200ft game and shift to shift level of effort? That's more like it. Sather school of GMing Lesson #1: Chase the names, not the fit. :help:

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
Yeah. What could we possibly need with another Callahan? :rolleyes:

Oh, forgetful are we off our apathetic PP last playoffs? Or our offensive dynamo showing the last few playoffs?

If Dubinsky or Anisimov (Who is a grinder? Seriously?) is your read on Schenn's upside, then you're sadly misinformed. Now a recent first overall pick who is already being chastised for his lack of 200ft game and shift to shift level of effort? That's more like it. Sather school of GMing Lesson #1: Chase the names, not the fit. :help:

Upside? The same upside people have been ranting and raving about that our picks, prospects, and rookies have until it all blows up in our faces once they hit the ice?

Again, a Schenn is not what we need, unless you're perfectly fine seeing the opposing team control the puck and ringing off more shots than we do.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

I honestly have never seen anything impressive about Schenn. I just don't think he will ever live up to the hype at this level.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

Do we think the Oilers are more likely to trade Yakupov than Gagner?

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I honestly have never seen anything impressive about Schenn. I just don't think he will ever live up to the hype at this level.

I'll just have to agree to disagree. Kid has the complete set of tools. Only a matter of time before he's one of the better two-way scoring forwards in the NHL.

Do we think the Oilers are more likely to trade Yakupov than Gagner?

Considering they'd be dealing from a strength as opposed to a weakness, and given Yakupov's shaky start under Eakin's regime, I'd say it's far more likely they trade Yakupov.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Oh, forgetful are we off our apathetic PP last playoffs? Or our offensive dynamo showing the last few playoffs?

Seriously? The "woe is our PP in the playoffs" stuff is still lingering around here? Let it go already.

Upside? The same upside people have been ranting and raving about that our picks, prospects, and rookies have until it all blows up in our faces once they hit the ice?

Nothing tangible here. Just a bunch of conjecture. If your opinion of him stems from bitterness towards our own forward group, I'm just not going to waste my time.

Again, a Schenn is not what we need, unless you're perfectly fine seeing the opposing team control the puck and ringing off more shots than we do.

Straw men aren't my thing, sorry.

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
Seriously? The "woe is our PP in the playoffs" stuff is still lingering around here? Let it go already.

No. If we have problems scoring goals come playoff time, we're winning diddly squat. We keep falling short not because we don't grind it out, not because we are inept at D, not because our goalie sucks, it's scoring.

Nothing tangible here. Just a bunch of conjecture. If your opinion of him stems from bitterness towards our own forward group, I'm just not going to waste my time.

I'm just pointing out how believing a young player has upside doesn't always hold water, come to fruition, and if we're playing hypotheticals, which of the two has more upside: Schenn or Yakupov?

Straw men aren't my thing, sorry.

Only if you truly believe we don't have problems scoring, in which case you are too disillusioned.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago

Dubinsky and Anisimov are no longer on the team, so I don't get the "more of the same" argument. Come playoff time, I would predict a player in that mold to have a much larger overall impact than a one-dimensional offensive player. At least the type of one dimensional player that actually could be had.

Yakupov, of course would be a different story. Would obviously prefer him to Schenn. Don't see the Oilers taking MDZ as the main piece in a Yak deal though. Also have my questions with him but his talent is undeniable.

Agreed. On a semi-related note I don't get how those characteristics are solely limited to "Torts players". Every team in the league needs skill players who can also bring grit to excel in the grind of the playoffs.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
No. If we have problems scoring goals come playoff time, we're winning diddly squat. We keep falling short not because we don't grind it out, not because we are inept at D, not because our goalie sucks, it's scoring.

Which is why I'm advocating for a kid who can score in addition to doing everything else.

I'm just pointing out how believing a young player has upside doesn't always hold water, come to fruition, and if we're playing hypotheticals, which of the two has more upside: Schenn or Yakupov?

So what? Sometimes players fail, and sometimes they exceed expectations. If you operate in fear of players not realizing their potential, you might as well pack it up and go home.

It's not a matter of having the most upside. It's a matter of filling the team needs properly. Schenn can do everything. Yakupov is extremely one dimensional and plays a position where we already have Nash and Callahan on the roster.

Only if you truly believe we don't have problems scoring, in which case you are too disillusioned.

Riiiight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad