Speculation: Trade Rumors/Speculation Thread Part II (Mod warning post #861)

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Mods, feel free to open up another thread if you don't want this one, I just didn't want my response to this post buried in a locked thread that's over the limit.

Did the fat guy in Ottawa write this last week for his column today? Has he seen his Senators?

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2013/11/02/flyers-rangers-desperate-for-help

Eliotte Freidman wrote this 2-3 weeks ago. The Rangers and Flyers(maybe the Devils too)were the teams most active in exploring trades.

The Rangers have won 3 in a row and 4 out of 5. They aren't winning the Cup but the crisis is over. Callahan will return sometime later this week of early next week. They shouldn't be desperate to make a trade and have another team take advantage of them.

By the way Garrioch wrote DZ "is even among the names being discussed",the Rangers should get a very good return. DZ is playing his weak side. Katie Strang said the Rangers would deal DZ in a chat 3-4 days ago. Not for scraps.

I saw McKenzie on the NHL Network a few days ago with the lovely Kathryn Tappan. He said teams want Oscar Klefbom from the Oilers. He suffered a concussion in a rookie game but has returned to play 10 out of 12 AHL games. Didn't play last night. McT doesn't want to move his top forwards or Klefbom for a D or a goaltender. Edmonton was embarrassed by the Wings last night.

Ottawa is underachieving so far for sure. Are they really as good as the analysts are saying? I don't think so. IMO, losing Alfredsson hurts more than it appears on the surface. Their offensive depth is suspect after Ryan, Spezza, and Michalek. Turris may be their only other legitimate top 6 forward. Anderson also has crashed back to earth, time to bow out to Lehner. They may be looking to make a change.

Edmonton not wanting to trade Klefbom makes a ton of sense. Nurse is their next best defensive prospect and he's a project. What doesn't make sense is MacT's Scott Howsen like stubborness to not want to part with one of their young forwards for a respectable top pairing defenseman or starting goalie. Oh wait, isn't Howsen part of the Oilers brass now? :sarcasm:

Though I disagree with Del Zotto "regressing", his average play has been mostly due to playing on his off side. It's time to end that experiment. It's night and day how much more comfortable DZ looks on the left. However, with Moore playing good hockey and Skjei and Allen 1-2 years away, the time to trade DZ and get max value in return is from now until the trade deadline. That said, a trade with Edmonton involving Del Zotto as the main piece going back makes a ton of sense for both teams. Yakupov would fit cap wise, but I still think the Oilers would trade Eberle before him or Hall.

As for the Rangers, Callahan will be back, Nash's return this season is questionable. If the Rangers get a healthy Nash back, they'll make noise. Like last season, the Rangers have to be buyers and sellers at the deadline. Shop for players that only cost mid round picks or B level prospects, not 1st or 2nd rounders. Dump the dead weight and expiring contracts that we can't afford to bring back in favor of other players that fit AV's system better.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Talking about all this Edmonton stuff made me look a little closer at Sam Gagner. I think he is potentially a very nice fit if gettable, especially if he isn't moving any of the big 4.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
It's believed Murray has held talks with a couple of teams to try to make an upgrade and it's believed he'll try to shore up back end if the Senators don't have success against the Dallas Stars Sunday at home and the Blue Jackets Tuesday in Columbus.

If that's the case, the Senators could be ready to move a blueliner to try to upgrade because three times this season the club has given up 50-plus shots _ including a club record 57 in a 5-4 shootout loss to the Islanders Friday.

The issue for Murray will be finding something better. The list of blueliners available isn't pretty: Hal Gill (Philly), John-Michael Liles (Toronto), Yannick Weber (Vancouver), Alec Martinez (Los Angeles) and Tom Gilbert (Florida).

http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/11/02/sens-defence-on-thin-ice

It won't take much to get those players. Martinez is the best player in that group. 3 players from that group were available as free agents in the summer. Liles has been available since June.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Worth noting is that Del Zotto is not listed as available, while other sources have said he is a prime trade candidate.

McDonagh

Slow it down 30GHz
Mar 8, 2009
Did Katie Strang just mean that the Rangers would trade Del Zotto if the right offer came along, or they plan on getting rid of him soon?

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Girardi for Bobby Ryan. :sarcasm:

Seriously though, I'd move Girardi or MDZ and maybe a pick if it meant Mika Zibanejad coming back, however the Senators would probably not go those lengths.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Girardi for Bobby Ryan. :sarcasm:

Seriously though, I'd move Girardi or MDZ and maybe a pick if it meant Mika Zibanejad coming back, however the Senators would probably not go those lengths.

Would definitely go for Zibanejad. Would think about a Conacher and Wiercioch package actually.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Would definitely go for Zibanejad. Would think about a Conacher and Wiercioch package actually.

Conacher has been disappointing, but Wiercioch has been pretty solid. If they are trying to shore up the back-end I don't know why they'd consider moving him unless they feel he is redundant behind Karlsson, which in that case you'd have to wonder how they felt about him defensively. He's currently on the third pair logging over 16 minutes on average. Del Zotto is getting 18 recently, Girardi 20.

I would consider that trade, but I don't think this team needs another diminutive forward re: Conacher. Wiercioch would be an upgrade for Del Zotto assuming he can log second pair minutes, AND put some points up.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
If we're talking about moving d--to me MDZ is the most expendable. He shouldn't be playing right side and there's too many guys and too much competition on the left side. On the left--McD, Staal, Moore--are all better skaters--all bigger, stronger and better defensively.

If we could come up with someone like Voracek for him that would be great but I'd expect we'd have to add.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Conacher has been disappointing, but Wiercioch has been pretty solid. If they are trying to shore up the back-end I don't know why they'd consider moving him unless they feel he is redundant behind Karlsson, which in that case you'd have to wonder how they felt about him defensively. He's currently on the third pair logging over 16 minutes on average. Del Zotto is getting 18 recently, Girardi 20.

I would consider that trade, but I don't think this team needs another diminutive forward re: Conacher. Wiercioch would be an upgrade for Del Zotto assuming he can log second pair minutes, AND put some points up.

I actually feel that Conacher would fit in pretty well. He is NHL ready and can play top six minutes, especially when he is on a hot streak. Bargain player really. Ottawa seems really "overprotective" of players such as Zibanejad, Lazar, Ceci, and the rest of the usual suspects. Maybe you could get a guy like Puempel.

Punxrocknyc19*

rather go after someone who has not had a solid chance like Boyle when Rangers traded for him.. i wouldnt mind that kid Connolly from the Bolts or Pearson from the Kings

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Rangers better be darn sure before trading Del Z because if McLIrath and Allen aren't ready for #6 duty, and this team has an injury to the blueline, they're in trouble. Also, Girardi is gonna get a pretty hefty pay raise.

Player I'd want is Wayne Simmonds. He's signed for five more years at $3.975 and he plays pretty much the same game as Cally/Brown/Backes/Gallagher.

Simmonds is the kind of player to put you over the top and a playoff guy. His offensive numbers are down, so his value might be going down.

What do you think it would take to get him?

Punxrocknyc19*

Rangers better be darn sure before trading Del Z because if McLIrath and Allen aren't ready for #6 duty, and this team has an injury to the blueline, they're in trouble. Also, Girardi is gonna get a pretty hefty pay raise.

Player I'd want is Wayne Simmonds. He's signed for five more years at $3.975 and he plays pretty much the same game as Cally/Brown/Backes/Gallagher.

Simmonds is the kind of player to put you over the top and a playoff guy. His offensive numbers are down, so his value might be going down.

i doubt the Flyers trade him especially what they traded to get him and especially they wont trade him to the Rangers... i think they would be smart to keep him..

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

Would not want Simmonds. We have a lot of players like Simmonds already, what the Rangers really need is Kreider to play the Simmonds role, which Kreider is molding into. Simmonds I think can't create his own shot and without riding shotgun with Giroux that's why his offense is down.

Would look at Voracek or Couturier before Simmonds if looking at Flyers.

Punxrocknyc19*

Would not want Simmonds. We have a lot of players like Simmonds already, what the Rangers really need is Kreider to play the Simmonds role, which Kreider is molding into. Simmonds I think can't create his own shot and without riding shotgun with Giroux that's why his offense is down.

Simmonds is a lot more grittier and nastier.. Kreider i dont see the same style of player at all.. Simmonds also fights and plays physical with an aggressive edge.. Kreider is fast, is also physical but not aggressive or gritty..

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY

Simmonds is the kind of guy you'd love for a playoff run and playing with Brassard, that might work well.

You have a lineup with Cally, Hagelin, Simmonds, and Kreider all playing on three separate lines....that's not a fun group to play against.

As for the Flyers looking to get rid of him, I think they're gonna try and get rid of as many contracts as possible, and having him or 5 more years many not be on the table for them.

Punxrocknyc19*

Simmonds is the kind of guy you'd love for a playoff run and playing with Brassard, that might work well.

You have a lineup with Cally, Hagelin, Simmonds, and Kreider all playing on three separate lines....that's not a fun group to play against.

As for the Flyers looking to get rid of him, I think they're gonna try and get rid of as many contracts as possible, and having him or 5 more years many not be on the table for them.

id love Hartnell or Simmonds on this team.. the Rangers dont have that top 6 power forward that crashes the net, agitate and stirs it up. Rangers need that especially in the eastern conference...

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago

The Rangers have a lot of players like Simmonds? I absolutely disagree. Maybe you could argue that they used to.

Simmonds would be a perfect player to add. But there is 0 chance the Flyers trade him in the division, to the Rangers no less.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
J.T. Miller has the potential to be like Simmonds one day, but he is not there yet.

Wayne is off to a tough start, IE it would be the perfect time to deal for him. He's a better version of Dubinsky and would fill out our top 9 nicely. The issue is that Philly wouldn't likely want to trade him within the division.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
when was the last time we made a significant trade within our division? lindros 12 years ago?

Rangers and Flyers have traded here and there. The Malakhov trade in 04 which indirectly led to Dubinsky, and of course the Newburry for Syvret trade this past summer.

I'm not saying it's likely or going to happen but if Philly really is rebuilding, they're gonna want to shed some long term contracts and Simmonds is owed nearly $24 million for the next five years.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Kovalev trade with the Pens was significant, but both were a ways back, yeah.

that was a bit different though because the pens were just getting rid of all their assets and had no money. i just dont see us trading for anyone thats highly rated on pitt, philly, nj, nyi, wsh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->