Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2018-2019 (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Something like Smith for Stone would negate Stone being overpaid since we'd be shedding a contract that teams aren't interested in.

Pagnotta hinted that Smith on waivers wasn't Dorion's choice. With the way Smith is used, this teams emphasis on leadership, and Dorion stressing the need for some veterans to lead the youth, I'd be surprised if we deal Smith though.

I think the only way he gets dealt is if someone is willing to take his contract straight up for an asset. I don't think he's a guy we move on the kind of trade suggested by the other poster. (although I do think Smith for Stone is a good idea, I just don't think we do it)
Would maybe help to re-sign Mark too

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Bob doesn't just mention stuff for the sake of it.

This is the same guy who tweeted something to the affect of "It'll be interesting to see if MacArthur passes his physical" the day before be failed and retired when there was no real rumours to him retiring again after the playoff run.

So he obviously sometimes knows pretty well something is going to go down, but he sort of puts hints out and doesn't speak in certainties.

So it makes me think that even if Bob McKenzie is not trying to make it sound concrete, the fact that he is putting an AAV put there and further discussing it makes me think there is a very good chance that this could get done soon.

8x8 would have been my guess, but I wonder if we end up going up to something like 8 x 8.75M in order to account for our inability to give out signing bonus filled deals. I think there'll be bonuses in the deal, Ryan got signing bonuses, but they'll be 2M-3M per season, not the entire salary.

The trade protection will be the most intriguing aspect.

This is something people aren't considering when people say "lol, Melnyk can't afford upfront bonuses".

The difference is that we're not interested in keeping the AAV as low as possible. Which means it could certainly be in our interest to pay the players more in the long run (thus, giving the player a higher cap hit), if it means giving the player less upfront bonuses, but more money in the long run. Melnyk can defer money paid to the future when Lebreton is built, or the team is sold. It can be win-win for both sides.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
This is something people aren't considering when people say "lol, Melnyk can't afford upfront bonuses".

The difference is that we're not interested in keeping the AAV as low as possible. Which means it could certainly be in our interest to pay the players more in the long run (thus, giving the player a higher cap hit), if it means giving the player less upfront bonuses, but more money in the long run. Melnyk can defer money paid to the future when Lebreton is built, or the team is sold. It can be win-win for both sides.

That is actually a valid point. Well done.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Give Wolanin some time in Belleville. He'll finish the season with the Sens. He is much better offensively than Ceci, Boro and Wideman but he needs some reps as a pro. No need to rush him until someone is moved.
How do we know if he is much better offensively if he hasn't played in the NHL yet?

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
How do we know if he is much better offensively if he hasn't played in the NHL yet?

He's played 11 games in the NHL.

Also, it's called projection. It's how I know Rudolph Balcers is better offensively than Tom Pyatt, even though he hasn't played an NHL game yet.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Can anyone think of a backup goalie who is ready to be a 1B kinda goalie who may be available??
I think that should be our only move either by the deadline or next summer

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Can anyone think of a backup goalie who is ready to be a 1B kinda goalie who may be available??
Been thinking the same thing,and from what I have come up with ....Is that we are going to have to either give up something we dont want to either in money and term ,or in assets for anything decent

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Just coming here to say I absolutely hate the idea of starting Wolanin on his off-side in the top 4 with a fellow rookie. Plz don't do.

I'd love to acquire Scott Mayfield from NYI if we are trading Ceci... he is on an awesome contract and is a decent player.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
[QUOTE="TheBradyBunch, post: 152421717, member: 78116"]Just coming here to say I absolutely hate the idea of starting Wolanin on his off-side in the top 4 with a fellow rookie. Plz don't do.

I'd love to acquire Scott Mayfield from NYI if we are trading Ceci... he is on an awesome contract and is a decent player.[/QUOTE]Agree completely ,we need a top pairing RHD....

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

Not many guys are available right now.

Guys that might potentially be available are Jimmy Howard, Ryan Miller and Petr Mrazek. Miller and Howard are killing it right now. If Detroit falls I could see Howard moving but not right now and same for Miller. Mrazek would certainly be better than Mckenna but I don't think he'd be better than Condon.

Elliott and Smith are UFAs but doubt they are moved unless teams are completely out of the playoff picture since they have no replacement. Talbot and Varlamov probably re-sign with their respective teams and Bobrosvky moved to a team trying to make a push but that's out of our price range. Maybe Talbot is traded if Koskinen takes over the #1 spot.

An interesting scenario could be doing something around Corey Schneider and Bobby Ryan but not sure that would work.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa

Guys that might potentially be available are Jimmy Howard, Ryan Miller and Petr Mrazek. Miller and Howard are killing it right now. If Detroit falls I could see Howard moving but not right now and same for Miller. Mrazek would certainly be better than Mckenna but I don't think he'd be better than Condon.

Elliott and Smith are UFAs but doubt they are moved unless teams are completely out of the playoff picture since they have no replacement. Talbot and Varlamov probably re-sign with their respective teams and Bobrosvky moved to a team trying to make a push but that's out of our price range. Maybe Talbot is traded if Koskinen takes over the #1 spot.

An interesting scenario could be doing something around Corey Schneider and Bobby Ryan but not sure that would work.

I wouldn't mind Miller or Howard but like you said, they'll stick where they are until their teams inevitably (imo) fall off. Maybe Alex Stalock? Minnesota would then have to use Hammond as a backup though. Or Jarry from Pittsburgh for a younger guy? He is in the AHL right now but looked decent last year.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

@sensofanarchy brought up Bibeau from San Jose who has really good AHL numbers. They have Dell and Jones ahead of him.

Next summer, Aaron Dell on San Jose might be available of they think Bibeau can be a #2 and want to get something for Dell before he walks as a free agent, but if Jones is inconsistent they might value keeping Dell for one more season over getting a 2nd round pick or similar type of return.

Jones is pretty much untradeable because he has a 3 team trade list. He can pretty much name 3 teams who don't need a goalie and it becomes by proxy a full no trade.

Reactions: TheBradyBunch

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008

Just two things to add:

1) Miller has a NTC and I'm not sure if he would waive it to come to Ottawa. In fact, I really doubt he would and I know for a fact he wouldn't sign with us.

2) Unless things change pretty drastically, I'd be surprised if Talbot re-signs in Edmonton.

Reactions: Deku
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->