Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So what I truly really do not understand is why they wanted players back for Hoffman then. There is no direction whatsoever.

Because if we can't sign Karlsson and end up trading him with Ryan, we are going to have a lot of trouble reaching the cap floor without him?

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Some of you guys have become waaaaay too accepting of trading Karlsson.

Trading Karlsson should be a ridiculous return. Like ludicrous. It's not like he's made public demands, it's quite the opposite. The media has done a number on a lot of you I'm afraid.

No, we are just trying to be realistic on a return. I agree, we should get a lot, but a lot of times in these deals it’s about quantity. If you’re rebuilding, you’d like to get a lot of assets.

Vegas is the best spot for him to me because they have so many picks, prospects and young players. Trading him to Edmonton for Draisital would be great as far as I’m concerned, but I’m not sure how likely that is. They said on TSN that Edmonton might be a team Karlsson wouldn’t accept a trade to.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
How many years left on Loui,s deal??

Four years. After Vancouver pays his bonus July 1st, he makes a million this season, then 5, 4, 4.

That's because his contract is largely signing bonuses (including a $3 million signing bonus in a potential lockout season), making him possibly even more buyout proof than Ryan.

Even if Vancouver pays this year's bonus on July 1st there would be $14 million left on his deal (granted that's less than Ryan)

Yeah, but 14 million for four season of a middle six forward is pretty good. It's like moving Ryan and his salary for Zack Smith's salary and someone as good as Ryan.

Then hopefully we can flip Smith for Stone and we'd have a much more mobile team.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Ryan For Eriksson?
Assuming both Eriksson and Ryan's bonuses get paid out July 1st....

We'd pay Ryan 30 million over 4 years (7.5M average) / We'd pay Eriksson 15M over 4 years (3.75M average) (3/5/4/4 salary)

That is because, Ryan has a 2M bonus paid out on July 1st, Eriksson a 7M bonus.

I do that easily as the Senators. We save 15 million, Ryan is better than Eriksson but is constantly injured. Although Eriksson has missed time due to injury the past two seasons, we're talking about saving an average of 3.5M per season, so expectations change. If I am Vancouver, I ask for a major asset to eat that 7M.

I can't see how they like Ryan enough to do that trade, and not exercise the leverage that paying most of Eriksson's salary this upcoming season would give them in a deal with Ottawa. Also, Eriksson has a full NTC, so I don't think he's a realistic option. If Karlsson re-signs here, and they are actually buddies, maybe he comes over. Ask yourself this, you have a NTC, do you agree to waive to be dealt to this tire fire?

Ryan For Lucic?
Lucic is not a bad option if he'll waive his NMC to come here, and EDM wants to do it. He's got one more year than Ryan, but has an average salary of 4.8M if we do the deal after both signing bonuses are paid (Lucic's bonus is 1.5M greater than Ryan's)

Ryan's contract would require Edmonton taking on an additional 1.25M in cap, but would be one year shorter for them. For the Senators, the contract would be 1 year longer, but the Senators would save 6 million dollars over the lifetime of the contract compared to keeping Ryan. Lucic also can bring an element we're lacking in being a mean gritty bottom 6 forward who can supply some secondary scoring. Is that worth 4.8M per season? No. But we're talking about acquiring him with the sunk cost of a 30 point winger being paid 7.25M per season.

(30 point because he's injured far too much to reach his points per 82 games that is often cited to defend Ryan's ability. It doesn't matter if he is on a 40-50 point tick if he isn't likely to play 82 games).

Ryan (30-50 Percent Retained) For Hossa?
I don't think Chicago does this, but it would be a reasonable way to balance our need to cut salary with their need to cut cap and improve their team. Hossa has a 5.275M cap hit for the next THREE seasons, but is only owed a real money salary of 1M. Furthermore, his contract might be insured, which would bring his real money owed down to 200k.

Chicago does get cap relief for Hossa, but LTIR is not the same as a cap hit disappearing. They only get the full 5.275M back if they exceed the cap by that full amount at the time they place Hossa on LTIR. So for example, if they only exceed the cap by 2.275M, that's 3M in cap space they lose out on being able to use.

While I doubt Ryan would appeal to any team at 50 percent retained due to his extensive injury history, the Senators ridding the Blackhawks of Hossa's contract adds a different dynamic to the situation. While I think 50 percent retained+Hossa would be excessive, even in that scenario the Senators save nearly 3 million dollars in real money per season (more if Hossa is insured). It's effectively a more efficient form of a buyout.

Reactions: OgieO

Slippy

Dec 8, 2005
highlytouted.ca
If the Sens are going to need help getting to the cap floor (if Karlsson is traded) why are they going to diminish the trade return by including Ryan?

On the topic of Karlsson trade, it is going to signal the true direction. If he goes, full rebuild; if not then more a retool to compete better in the next year or two. To me it is simple: if they keep Karlsson, then you use the 4th Overall pick this year. If they are going to trade him, let COL have this years pick.

Really confused by the whole we'll make an offer July 1 talk. It is irresponsible that they don't follow the Coyotes path they did with OEL. Talk to him and be upfront, "we can't afford to lose you for nothing. We want you to be a Sen for life, but if we can't get an extension now, then we have make a move by the draft. Reasonably we can give you 8 years/$80 million and still put a good team around you. What do you say?"

He either says: 1. Sounds fair. This is where I want to be and win. 2. Sorry, you're not even close. I think I'll get a lot more and/or better chance to win elsewhere. 3. I do wanna be here, but realistically I need more, make it $88 million and let's get to work.

A little bit all over the place, but I have stayed quiet for a while and wanted to get it out there.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
If the Sens are going to need help getting to the cap floor (if Karlsson is traded) why are they going to diminish the trade return by including Ryan?

On the topic of Karlsson trade, it is going to signal the true direction. If he goes, full rebuild; if not then more a retool to compete better in the next year or two. To me it is simple: if they keep Karlsson, then you use the 4th Overall pick this year. If they are going to trade him, let COL have this years pick.

Really confused by the whole we'll make an offer July 1 talk. It is irresponsible that they don't follow the Coyotes path they did with OEL. Talk to him and be upfront, "we can't afford to lose you for nothing. We want you to be a Sen for life, but if we can't get an extension now, then we have make a move by the draft. Reasonably we can give you 8 years/$80 million and still put a good team around you. What do you say?"

He either says: 1. Sounds fair. This is where I want to be and win. 2. Sorry, you're not even close. I think I'll get a lot more and/or better chance to win elsewhere. 3. I do wanna be here, but realistically I need more, make it $88 million and let's get to work.

A little bit all over the place, but I have stayed quiet for a while and wanted to get it out there.

They’ll package Ryan in the deal and bring in players with similar cap hits that are owed less money in actual salary.

The Ottawa Senators way.

Reactions: Upgrayedd

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

No idea if Simmer is right in regards to the "plan" but it does jive withe the Hoffman trade.

If the focus is on being competitive, I hear there's a two-time Norris trophy winner available who's led or tied for most points on his team since 2013. You know, if you're into that kind of thing.

But come to think of it, that might just be a rumour. No one is crazy enough to give up a player of that caliber for no reason.

Reactions: Deku

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I don't hate that plan as long as it doesn't sacrifice the future. This nonesense of giving away picks has to stop. I didn't hate the Duchene trade cause we needed a #1 C but otherwise we give away picks like candy on Halloween. We need two things to be different from last year to be a bubble team - Karlsson to be Karlsson (he was hurt and nowhere near on his game last year) and our goaltending to return to slightly above average. Losing Hoffman hurts but I don't think we're miles away from being competitive. Last year was a worst case scenario for us, unlikely to be that bad again with a similar roster. But the younger players need to step up (Chabot, White, Brown) and replace what we lost from Hoffman somehow.

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
This is so dumb.

We are trying to shed salary, but we didn’t take the picks and want players back.
We are probably going to trade our best player by a long shot, but want to be competitive next year.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Why? It's not like you can't flip assets for futures if and when it really goes south.
That's the issue, though – things are going south. They have gone south. They're almost at the South Pole, they can't go any further south. And yet rather than trade a MAJOR asset for futures that will help this club in the long run, management seems content – based on the tweet – to stick a band-aid over the wound and say 'Good enough!' as the arterial spray keeps gushing. This team really doesn't seem like it's able to flip assets for futures. Plus, you're never getting fair value on a Karlsson trade, so why degrade your value now only to do so again when shipping off the misfit toys you get for him?

RICKY SPANISH

Aug 16, 2016
Is 'souther' a word?

That's the issue, though – things are going south. They have gone south. They're almost at the South Pole, they can't go any further south. And yet rather than trade a MAJOR asset for futures that will help this club in the long run, management seems content – based on the tweet – to stick a band-aid over the wound and say 'Good enough!' as the arterial spray keeps gushing. This team really doesn't seem like it's able to flip assets for futures. Plus, you're never getting fair value on a Karlsson trade, so why degrade your value now only to do so again when shipping off the misfit toys you get for him?

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Well we know what the above brings and news flash it doesn't do much for us

I don't see the appeal of guys like Miller or Theodore when trading away the best d-man in the league.

They are solid but i want higher end players when trading away fall of fame player.

Tuch and Theodore are former 1st round picks who are trending well, you could argue that outside of Glass they are the best cheap/young pieces in the organization.

Give me Tuch and Theo over Suzuki and Brannstrom all day, twice on Sundays.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I can't recall, is it normal for GMs to do a presser prior to the draft, or is there a possibility of this being something big?
Pretty boilerplate to talk with media prior to the draft. Not so boilerplate given current circumstances, though. Doubt this is announcing a move or anything, but it'll be interesting to hear where the media goes with their lines of questioning.

Reactions: Bean Drown

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Pretty boilerplate to talk with media prior to the draft. Not so boilerplate given current circumstances, though. Doubt this is announcing a move or anything, but it'll be interesting to hear where the media goes with their lines of questioning.

What Sens media is there? Warren, Garrioch, Brennan?? Don't expect the questioning to be all that difficult. May get more interesting if media from across the league is allowed in on this availability. If its just the local guys, we aren't getting much new info.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

or 4. Trade me please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad