Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Yeah after trading EK let's trade Hoffman for the Nuge and make sure there's zero chemistry left on this team as we go into next season without a 1st round pick.

Great stuff. A+!

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
no.

There comes a point where you have to plan for some of your high end picks to come in and spread out your dollars on ELC's and bridge deals.

The scenario being put forward here is that we sign Duchene long term, then bring RNH at 6 million per to play behind him through 20-21.

Logan Brown has to at least become our #2 C in that window.

You can't be Ottawa Senators competitive with Duchene at 7-8 million and RNH and 6 million down the middle long term. I realize salaries are going up, but that isn't an elite combo like Crosby/Malkin that you will pay top dollar to build around.

Don't get me wrong, RNH is OK, and he might have another gear somewhere else, but I don' think that's highly likely actually. Not the right play IMO.

RNH is barely a 2nd line C, and at that price, he'd solve zero of our problems. I can't believe Dorion would even consider making this deal, much less for Hoffman.

megalomania

Sep 29, 2010
Switzerland
Trading for RNH makes no sense by itself, not to mention trading Hoffman for him, that would be horrendous. The best prospects in the system are centermen, there's no point in trading for a 2nd line center with three more years on his contract when you try to retool or even rebuild, that's a spot you have your young guys gunning for. Also trading Turris for Duchene only to turn around and trade Hoffman for an inferior version of Turris would be lunacy.

The only reasons to trade for RNH would be trying to compete next year and thus needing a proven 2nd line center (dumb, especially if you lose Hoffman in the trade) or not intending to re-sign Duchene and thus needing at least one veteran center for the next few years.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Guys, I was in enemy territory for the last 2.5 days (Montreal). Did I miss anything?

Side note: Whoever designed the road network in Montreal must have done it with his/her eyes closed. I hate driving in that city.

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
Why is everyone so bent up about upsetting the chemistry of Hoff Duchene. You put a bag of pucks with Duchene and they'll probably score.

Nudge produces as good as Brassard, is young and a good 2C. If your going to move Stone to the top line, you just need a top LW.

It could be a Ceci for Kleft trade which I'd probably take. Make this team very interesting going forwards.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Guys, I was in enemy territory for the last 2.5 days (Montreal). Did I miss anything?

Side note: Whoever designed the road network in Montreal must have done it with his/her eyes closed. I hate driving in that city.
All your favorite players were traded to that team you really hate...or not, Idk

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I personally would consider a RNH for Hoffman or Ceci swap. Hoffman is older and plays wing while Ottawa could potentially get a good young top 6 center who plays both ends of the rink.

I wouldn't say im a huge hoffman fan so maybe its just me

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Ceci yes for sure you do it.

Hoffman you think twice, Aside from Dzingel, we don't have much speed on our top 6 wingers (Stone, Ryan), not to mention his game breaking shot and chemistry with the dude we just traded 3 good assets for.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Thats not true at all

Ok, he's a 2nd line C, but not a very good one. If we were to trade our best sniper, one who has excellent chemistry with our #1 C, it'd have to be for more than a merely adequate, overpaid #2 C.

We gain nothing from this trade.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
I just want Dorion to trade Ceci to EDM for a Taylor Hall-level player and for Eugene to be available to green light the trade.

Is that too much to ask?

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
I still don't understand why we would acquire a more expensive OK 2C after we just shipped out the less expensive OK 2C?

I really don't like it, but I understand shopping Hoffman for a Klefbom, especially if you consider the loss of EK in that plan, but I can't imagine trading away Hoffman makes it any more fun for Duchene/Stone to hang around here with no high end snipers to play with.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
RNH over the last four seasons per 82 games.....
22.58 goals
52.29 points

Mike Hoffman over the last four seasons per 82 games.....
28.15 goals
59.31 points

Pros/Cons
-RNH is signed for 1 year longer than Hoffman at similar money (5.65M vs 6M). Hoffman only has 2 years left on his contract at the end of this season, which if he won't re-sign with us effectively means we might have to consider trading him for futures anyways in July 2019 since we are not in win-now mode.

The futures based trade market might not be as strong as Sens fans would hope for Mike Hoffman considering STL offer was apparently Kyrou+2nd, and Dorion was unable to consummate a Hoffman trade at the deadline. Odds are, we can get a similar futures based package in two years from RNH if he won't re-sign while getting an extra year of hockey out of him compared to Hoffman.

-Hoffman is the only player we currently have with a lethal shot who can play the role as the trigger man on the power play.

-On the contrary, we need a 2C a lot more than we need a sniper/PP trigger man. RNH is similar to Turris in that he could probably be a real low end first line center if needed, but ideally he's a top end 2C. Going into the Duchene negotiations, having RNH would help mitigate some leverage that Duchene will have, that leverage being "JG Pageau will be your 1C if you don't sign me".

-Production wise, both players aren't that far off. We're talking about a 5 goal difference per 82 games on average. RNH is actually on pace to outscore Hoffman this season goal wise (when prorated over 82 games), but it also has to be noted that RNH is riding a career high shooting percentage, with Hoffman having his lowest shooting percentage out of his last four seasons. I think an expectation of RNH possibly being in that 18-23 goal ball park depending on how his play carries over to the Sens system, and Hoffman being in the 24-29 ball park if he were to remain on the Senators is a fair comparison.

-The trade will make us look stupid. I think Hoffman will kill it with McDavid while RNH will continue to be an excellent 2C. Nobody gets excited about defensively responsible 2Cs putting up 45-55 points and killing penalties. People get excited fast skaters putting up 30-40 goals with the best player in the world. While Hoffman will probably never reach the peaks here that he might be capable of playing with McDavid, there's no doubt in my mind that this trade is 10 main board threads waiting to happen.....if there was ever a reason to avoid a trade, it would be to prevent main board HF threads.

-RNH is a better two way player and plays a more valuable position. Mike Hoffman is highly skilled, and a very good goal scorer, but I don't think the extra 5 goals a season justify passing on the opportunity to get a C who can play in both zones, is signed and cost controlled for 1 year longer, and probably gets us a similar return futures wise to what Hoffman would fetch on the market right now.

I'm in the minority here, but I would do Hoffman for RNH.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007

Pot holes galore. Factor that in with the stingy ass drivers down there. Worst driving experience in Canada

Reactions: InDucheWeTrust

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I still don't understand why we would acquire a more expensive OK 2C after we just shipped out the less expensive OK 2C?

I really don't like it, but I understand shopping Hoffman for a Klefbom, especially if you consider the loss of EK in that plan, but I can't imagine trading away Hoffman makes it any more fun for Duchene/Stone to hang around here with no high end snipers to play with.

We shipped out Brassard most likely because we weren't going to extend him and felt we could get a better return now than what we'd get at next year's trade deadline. Whether we got that is debatable land comes down to each persons individual evaluation of Filip Gustavsson.

Brassard was signed for 1 more year so he wasn't a solution. Were we going to extend Brassard? Was Brassard going to extend here? The answer to both was probably no. We are not in "win now" mode, so we theoretically sold high on Brassard at the expense of having no legit 2C in the short term. RNH would be signed for 3 more seasons at similar real money to Mike Hoffman. At 2 years before we have to think about trading him, RNH would be a solid bridge 2C while waiting for Logan Brown to come around.

Futures based offers for Mike Hoffman might be soft. We heard Kyrou+2nd as an offer from STL. We're a budget team, we may not be able to pay Mike Hoffman's ask in dollars+term on an extension. Meaning, we'd have to strongly consider trading him in July 2019 anyways. We'd be looking at getting 1 more year out of him and then trading him for futures basically. With RNH, we can get 2 more years, and then get what would probably be a similar package of futures.

C is a bigger need than LW. Although Hoffman leaves a huge hole as our PP trigger man and as a player who has shown chemistry with Duchene, RNH gives us insurance down the middle. Legit top 6 Cs are just as hard to find as goal scorers.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018

RNH is better and six years younger. And has 3 years left. We got a solid return on Brassard. I'll take RNH over Brassard for the future.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I just want Dorion to trade Ceci to EDM for a Taylor Hall-level player and for Eugene to be available to green light the trade.

Is that too much to ask?

Already had your chance with Hall.

In all seriousness, I wonder what is brewing between Ottawa and Edmonton. I have a feeling something big. We both have idiots for GM's and Owners

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I like RNH as well. I have liked him since he was a rookie. I think he is good in all 3 zones. He has much better defensive awareness in his own end than Draisaitl. Look who Drai had to play with last night... Pulj and Lucic .. hard to create a lot of points.. RNH was often in the same boat.. He's played on the wing with McDavid and he has looked good doing it. IN the absence of being able to score Drai and pay Duchene , I think RNH is a good 2C option. Having Duchene, RNH, Pageau ...strengthens the C position

Value on a trade .. in a bubble .. I'd say RNH for Hoffman is close. I would hate to lose Hoffman.. We need top 6 wingers as bad. This team has needs everywhere.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
God, I don't want RNH.

They're putting him with McDavid now? Talk about shopping him out.

We won't pay Turris but we'll pay RNH?

How does that make any sense?

I like how the article says this:

"But do you ever trade a well-rounded centreman like Nugent-Hopkins for a winger in Hoffman? That’s a tough deal to swallow for Edmonton — unless you get a little something more in the deal and Hoffman comes in and scores 35."

Meanwhile, RNH is playing left-wing to make him more attractive.
RNH is only 24.

If there is any deal with Edmonton involving Karlsson, Draisaitl has to be coming back

Trading hoffman for RNH is a lateral move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad