Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
I really dont think McCormicks one way deal is any threat whatsoever to Paul. Paul is simply a way better player and can bring way more to the table. People are forgetting how effective he was up with the sens when he finished the year two seasons ago. He actually cycles the puck and can bury players, his reach is also very usefull.

I would be pleasantly suprised if Chlapik forced a call up, I just think there will be an adjustment very similar to Perron. Going from being bigger and stronger than everyone in Jr to the pros is a massive adjustment. For a player that isnt physically strong for his age or fast he is going to have to adapt his game.

Forwards on 1 way deals in 18/19:

Hoffman-Turris (assuming new deal)-Stone (assuming new deal)
MacArthur (assuming Health)-Brassard-Ryan
Smith-Pageau (assuming new deal)-Pyatt
Dzingel (Assuming new deal)-Thompson-Burrows
McCormick

Seeing as Boucher loves to run 8D up for depth we likely only carry 13 forwards. Its safe to assume Pageau/Stone/Turris will all be resigned to multi year deals..

Dzingel will likely get 2 years out of arbitration if it goes that far, so he'll likely be around too.. Then there's also White who will likely be on the team.. And guys like Brown/Chlapik/Perron also pushing for roster spots..

Now obviously trades/Moves could be made.. But they are in win now mode, so the odds of them moving an experienced vet for a question mark like Paul is not very likely.. (McCormick clearly doesn't have the value to trade..)

And of course He is also waiver eligible next year too, soo the question becomes would they rather pay Max McCormick $650K to play AHL or Lose Paul to waivers.. I know what most of HF is going to say, but in reality it will be lose Paul to waivers (or a trade, but how much value does the kid really have.. honestly not much)..

To answer your statement, McCormick's 1 way deal majorly affects Paul, and speaks volumes as to where management see's Paul within our future.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Anyone wanting to seriously criticize Dorion at this juncture needs to take time to reflect.

I don't like all of his moves either, but considering where the team ended up last season, you have no choice but to cut him some slack until the results on the ice require otherwise. I can understand criticizing management when you're a bottom tier team like Colorado who doesn't seem to have a plan, but the Sens were very successful last season, and, overall, Ottawa looks very good moving forward.

All the good young players like Chabot, Brown, and White are still on the team. Guys like Chalpik, Jaros, Englund, Perron, Paul, etc.. are looking good as well and there's sufficient depth beyond them. We lost Dahlen and Lazar, sure, but Dahlen was somewhere around our 5-7th best prospect and Lazar was not working out. As a result of losing Dahlen and Lazar, Ottawa was able to pick up two more good prospects this year because they didn't give up their 1st at the deadline and got a 2nd for Lazar. The pipeline is well stoked overall. By all accounts Ottawa is in the top 1/3 of teams for players outside the NHL.

The team is on budget. We lost Methot, sure, but his loss simplified the budget issues. For those who complain that we lack quality replacement options, you're not wrong, but if we can't find someone between Chabot, Harpur, Claesson, Englund, etc.. I am confident they will make a trade to find someone who can replace Methot. I, too, would prefer if Chabot or Claesson had 100+ more games of experience to draw upon before trying to replace Methot, but we don't have that luxury. We do have a lot of options though, and some good depth in case of injury.

If the Sens falter in 2018, by all means, criticize away. In the meantime, bite your tongue. You don't look "prescient" by criticizing Dorion, you look like a whiner.

Eidt: I think people are being a little ungrateful with our this whole "decade of darkness" type ********. The Sens have made the playoffs 6 times since going to the cup finals and won three playoff series. Go look around the league. There are a lot of teams that would LOVE that kid of result.

Panthers - 2
Islanders - 3
Avs - 3
Flames - 4
Edmonton - 1
Sabres - 2
Tampa - 4
Devils - 4
Toronto - 2
Coyotes - 3
Jets - 2
Dallas - 2
C-Bus - 3
Carolina - 1

Wild - 6
Vancouver - 6
Philly - 7
Nashville - 7
Blues - 7
Habs - 7

Washington - 9
Sharks - 9
Chicago - 9
NYR - 9
Boston - 8
Pens - 10
Ducks - 8
Kings - 6
Detroit - 9

Last edited:

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
we should probably look to deal dzingel and see if we can get an upgrade. I know he should improve this season but if we keep him on our 4th line (because we all know pyatt is getting the minutes with pageau....) then we should trade him before his value completely tanks

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
We had a bad off-season. There should be negativity around here.

There's a general complacency on this site that is greatly troubling. We've had bad management for a decade now, and other than a few of us, there's not many calling for a regime change.

You hear the way other team's fans call out their management for their failures - it's night and day. Canucks fans have had bad management through Benning for 3 years now, and they have been calling for his head for almost as long. Habs fans are sick of Bergevin and they are letting everyone know it. Holland presided over multiple cups as the GM of the Wings, but he's been bad for years now and Wings fans are pressuring ownership to change the guard.

We should be demanding better, not excusing failure.

There was a lot of negativity around here well before the off season started. A lot of it has to do with the budget, which is more than fair, but there were people unhappy with management long before this off season. I was one of them. I was very critical of the job Murray did as GM, I just didn't constantly post about it.

Also, how does *****ing about management on hfboards change anything? Do you think the team reads this? :laugh:

You can do lots of things to send a message. Not go to games for example. Comparing us to the Canucks is a bit odd since we just went to game 7 of the conference finals and they were one of the worst teams in the league and probably will be for a while. Also, is management going to listen to Canucks fans because they are complaining on the internet?

I agree we deserve better. We won one series in nine years after going to the finals ten years ago before we had a nice run this year. Not good enough. Plus it seemed like the team had no plan, no direction, no identity. Very frustrating.

Having said that, the negativity around here gets to be too much for me at times. People *****ing and moaning every time we trade a draft pick for immediate help. Like Christ, why do people flip out when we trade a third round pick? :laugh:

Don't you think people overreact a tad sometimes around here?

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
we should probably look to deal dzingel and see if we can get an upgrade. I know he should improve this season but if we keep him on our 4th line (because we all know pyatt is getting the minutes with pageau....) then we should trade him before his value completely tanks

The question is how much value does he really have? My guess is not alot, probably equivalent to a 3rd. (Similar to Prince..).

I would much rather get a quality bottom 6er to play the 4th line then him.. say Stalberg..

Long story short, my opinion is take the 3rd sign Stalberg

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
The question is how much value does he really have? My guess is not alot, probably equivalent to a 3rd. (Similar to Prince..).

I would much rather get a quality bottom 6er to play the 4th line then him.. say Stalberg..

i agree, especially if dzingel wants 2 million on a 2-3 year deal. If we were giving him minutes i would have no problem with this whatsoever, but if he is going to be capped to the 4th line then might as well use him as a piece to improve

dzingel+wideman could get us a defensive upgrade somewhere and then we could sign stalberg or give the minutes to say paul/mccormick/white etc etc

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I would tend to agree... but have no conviction one way or another. We see 3rd/4th line caliber players that I would be happy to add short term every year. If Paul could add a mean streak I would be less likely to agree with moving him.. He's a big body but Pageau plays with more aggression. IMO Paul has to change that for his worth to go up... He isn't going to out finesse the alternatives looking for spots. Also he would need to improve his faceoffs, and his shut down ability. The only advantage he has over the guys next to him or just behind him currently is size and imo he doesn't use that size enough.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006

**** that. He skates, plays fairly well defensively, is going to continue being cheap, and can play up-down the roster.

MacArthur is one slip on his driveway from calling it a career, we ca't be trading him for peanuts.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Get Jagr.

He is perfect to have around when Stone or Ryan get the inevitable injury or go cold.

Also sign Stalberg.

MacArhur - Turris - Ryan
Hoffman - Pageau - Jagr
Smith - Brassard - Stone
Stalberg - Thompson - Pyatt

White.

Can't see Jags changing his jersey # tho.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Get Jagr.

He is perfect to have around when Stone or Ryan get the inevitable injury or go cold.

I'd love Jagr too, but the guy is a mercenary. We don't have the coin. Especially after signing Thompson. Plus, we have no roster room.

At this point, I don't even think Stalberg is an option.

I think Dorion is going to save whatever money and assets he has left in case we need to trade for a "D"

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Get Jagr.

Also sign Stalberg.

MacArhur - Turris - Ryan
Hoffman - Pageau - Jagr
Smith - Brassard - Stone

White.

Burrows?

Dzingel?

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Get Jagr.

Also sign Stalberg.

MacArhur - Turris - Ryan
Hoffman - Pageau - Jagr
Smith - Brassard - Stone

White.

Just have Hoffman switch it. Jagr is a legend, if I were Hoffman I would have no problem giving my number up for a year or so, like Spezza and Hasek. But Hoffman can go back to it when Jags inevitably leaves.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I can see Dzingel playing RW this season. He did at times last season, and in the AHL too.

MacArthur-Brassard-Ryan
Hoffman-Turris-Stone
Smith-Pageau-Dzingel
Burrows-Thompson-Pyatt

Pretty damn deep, imo.

Then you have Paul and White who are pushing for spots. I'm loving our depth right now, last year we had guys like Varone, Puempel, Lazar and Bailey who were gift wrapped spots at times :laugh:

It's very likely between Paul and White for the C spot Brassard will be leaving vacant to start the season.

50 in 07

Feb 10, 2016

There's a general complacency on this site that is greatly troubling. We've had bad management for a decade now, and other than a few of us, there's not many calling for a regime change.

You hear the way other team's fans call out their management for their failures - it's night and day. Canucks fans have had bad management through Benning for 3 years now, and they have been calling for his head for almost as long. Habs fans are sick of Bergevin and they are letting everyone know it. Holland presided over multiple cups as the GM of the Wings, but he's been bad for years now and Wings fans are pressuring ownership to change the guard.

"Complacency"? On a hockey forum? Seriously?

You realize that the Senators front office couldn't give a crap about what is posted here, they don't read it, and nothing we say or do actually impacts the day to day operations of the team?

No, but according to you we should all **** and moan about how bad Dorion is, because that's going to accomplish something. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

And on another note, I like how you assume that every free agent that signs elsewhere would be willing to (a) come here in the first place, and (b) take the same amount of money to come here. But by all means, don't let facts or reality get in the way. Keep doing what you do best which is complain. About literally everything.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa

Disagreeing with you =/= complacency

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Meh ,roll with what we have .Maybe resign Stralberg if there is money left after JGP and Dzingle get their money.If not we have enough LW on the team anyhow .We need to keep some money for the big list next year.Turris and Stone wont be making 3.5 anymore ,their extensions will add at least 5 mil in cap .Throw in Ceci ,Andy Etc.And we are getting pretty tight :nod:

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I just find it funny that in a 1 page span we have one poster decrying a chunk of this forum for being too negative and another proclaiming himself as the true realist against fanbase complacency because this forum is too positive.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
I'm curious what will happen in Belleville with the goalies. We have Hammond, Taylor, Hogberg and Driedger. Anyone have this figured out yet?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I'm curious what will happen in Belleville with the goalies. We have Hammond, Taylor, Hogberg and Driedger. Anyone have this figured out yet?

Lee said Taylor is in, Hogberg and Driedger will battle it out winner in Belleville loser in ECHL. Hammond was not mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad