Proposal: Trade Rumors/Proposals 2019-2020 (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
He might not have the stamina of a younger player but there is no one as skilled as him currently. The unfortunate thing is we lack quality wingers to put with him. It'll be 2013/14 all over.

Ok but there's a difference between pure skill-level and how effective a player is.

R2010

May 23, 2011
How to be slow and be a depth player ?
Spezza is done

Spezza is certainly at the end of his career. The last time he had 50 points was in 2017 so he is two years removed from being a top 9 forward. That being said - exactly who on the sens roster right now do you think would be a better PP player than Spezza? He still has hands, offensive smarts and FO skills. If Brown can literally pick up anything from him about taking draws or protecting the puck in the O-zone it's a win.

Reactions: guyzeur

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
I wouldn't want Spezza anywhere near our young players. He can't teach skill. He can only teach his bad habits IMHO.

He can give insight into face-offs, working the half-wall on a PP, protecting the puck, help him with vision, awareness, decision making. He can't teach skill to someone like Brown, but he doesn't have to. Logan has skill. What he could use is listening to a guy who's been there and did it at a high level for a long time.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I know this is kind of whack, but If LA wants to rebuild, The way the Rangers accelerated their rebuild bu acquiring Panarin, what about Ottawa going after Kopitar? Give SJ's first RD pick, and you have Kopitar that is a true No.1 center, 32 yrs old, and he could take Tkachuk/Batherson/Duclair to ridiculous levels, on top of sliding Brown into the 2nd line, and White on the 3rd. That is a heck of a middle there, and by the time Kopitar trails off, Logan and White move up.

Move Tierney or Pageau with the pick

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I know this is kind of whack, but If LA wants to rebuild, The way the Rangers accelerated their rebuild bu acquiring Panarin, what about Ottawa going after Kopitar? Give SJ's first RD pick, and you have Kopitar that is a true No.1 center, 32 yrs old, and he could take Tkachuk/Batherson/Duclair to ridiculous levels, on top of sliding Brown into the 2nd line, and White on the 3rd. That is a heck of a middle there, and by the time Kopitar trails off, Logan and White move up.

No thanks. There's nothing Kopitar can do for us that Pageau can't. Especially if we're not making the playoffs.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

New York "accelerated" a rebuild by paying zero hockey assets (only $) for a 28year old Panarin as a UFA.

Trading a mid / mid-high 1st rounder and one of Tierney/Pageau for a 32 year old Kopitar who is quickly exiting the prime of his career is not even in the same ballpark as far as comparables go.

Spending those kinds of hockey assets for Kopitar inhibits the rebuild, it doesn't accelerate it whatsoever.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

That is definitely “whack”

Reactions: coladin and Deku

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
That is definitely “whack”

B724HtQ.gif

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
I know we're just theorizing here, but trading assets (especially a 1st that has a chance of being a lotto) for a guy like Kopitar is quite possibly one of the worst things we could do at this juncture of the rebuild.

He makes $10 million/year until like 2024, has tons of miles on him and will be declining soon (if he's not already). He is the opposite of what the team needs right now.

If/when we start going big fish hunting with our assets (which is realistically summer of 2021), they need to be guys on the right side of 30 that can fit in with our young core and we can lock up long term.

SJ's 1st is going to be so important to us if it's in a good position because we lack high end forward prospects so badly. If we can hit two blue chippers on our 1sts this summer we could be rolling in a year or two.

Last edited:

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

A presence in Russia hmmm. That is welcome good news

A bit more Ottawa/Ottawa-adjacent info:

2. Regular readers of this blog are aware that I keep a Nov. 1 stat. Since 2005–06, just nine of 59 teams four (or more) points out of a playoff spot after games on that date have reached the post-season. St. Louis took it to another level in 2018-19, coming back from last overall on Jan. 3 to win it all. This year, eight teams will try to recover from this early hole: Chicago, Detroit, Los Angeles, Minnesota, New Jersey, the Rangers, Ottawa and San Jose.

Ottawa is currently 9pts out with 1 game in hand
San Jose is currently 9 pts out with 2 games in hand

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

Kopitar is not coming here. He has a NMC, and next year has a 7 team list. I doubt we will be on that list.

Even if he did want to come here. I don't think it would be the right move. If the ask is San Jose's pick right now, then yes it's something the Senators should think about because San Jose could rebound and that pick could be 15+.

Ultimately, it doesn't make much sense to give up assets for Kopitar. Optimistically, he has 5 years left as a star. That really doesn't align with our rebuild. Despite the FYOTUS, we're going to be bad for a few more seasons. We're better off acquiring cost controlled ELC talent with what might be a very high pick in a strong draft.

Will something like the 10th overall pick ever be as good as peak Kopitar? Almost certainly not. But this team isn't in a position to be able to benefit from whatever Kopitar has left. The team will be in a position to benefit from a young player being part of the roster for the next 7-9+ seasons.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

trading for a 32 year old makes very little sense for us.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Kopitar is pretty much done. No GM should ever be looking for 30+ year olds with multiple contract years left. How many 30 somethings outside of goalies are still worth their cap hit and remaining term. Not many.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->