Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals 2018-2019 (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I wonder if Tampa would be interested in moving on from point so they can get some cap freedom in the offseason.

I would do something like this

Mark Borowiecki + 3rd rounder for Brayden Point

Why tampa does it.
Tampa drafted point in the third round so they didn't lose anything. Boro becomes house money at that point he is on a really cheap contract, plays the game the right way, keeps the locker room glued in, and he has a really good relationship with Erik Karlsson in case Tampa wants to make a push for him in the offseason.

Ottawa gets a really good centre back too.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
I wonder if Tampa would be interested in moving on from point so they can get some cap freedom in the offseason.

Why tampa does it.
Tampa drafted point in the third round so they didn't lose anything. Boro becomes house money at that point he is on a really cheap contract, plays the game the right way, keeps the locker room glued in, and he has a really good relationship with Erik Karlsson in case Tampa wants to make a push for him in the offseason.

Wat8.jpg

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
This is just the Toronto media making Toronto the center of the universe.

I understand the rationale but no one is scrapping their future to sign Matthews.

Or is there general resentment from the rest of the league that Toronto has handed out these two ridiculous contracts that by extension affects their ability to resign their own players?

Kids like 28 handing out 80 MILLION DOLLARS to ONE GUY?!? Then gives his 3rd most important RFA almost 7 AAV?!?

Poaching a teams captain and former 1st overal savior of the franchise pick? Coincidentally, Toronto has one of those too...

Reactions: Clayonator

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Or is there general resentment from the rest of the league that Toronto has handed out these two ridiculous contracts that by extension affects their ability to resign their own players?

Kids like 28 handing out 80 MILLION DOLLARS to ONE GUY?!? Then gives his 3rd most important RFA almost 7 AAV?!?

Poaching a teams captain and former 1st overal savior of the franchise pick? Coincidentally, Toronto has one of those too...

Signing Matthews to an offer sheet means giving up first four rounders. That is unthinkable in the cap era, completely and utterly not feasible.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Why the **** would Matthews sign an offer sheet anyways? Nothing in it for him.

$$$

I think Marner is the more interesting offer sheet we know Matthews is getting 11M+ . Toronto is probably trying to keep Marner very close to 8 if Marner signs an offer sheet of 10.1M where the compensation is two firsts a second and a third that could put the leafs in some trouble. they would have ~30M locked up in 3 players.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
He'll get his $$$ in Toronto without having to leave or piss off the only city/team he's ever known, a team that is quite good, as much as it pains me to admit.
The Leafs are a soft team & can be beat with physical play as the Bruins proved.

Reactions: Alex1234

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
Phoenix could offer 14M to come home and pay no State tax. Then Lou drops a 10.1M x 5 year offer to Marner to play on the Island.

That's the only scenario in which I could see an offer sheet being signed. Would be pretty funny if after getting "Stamkos and Tavares want to play in their home town!" shoved down our throats, Matthews leaves for the desert.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
He'll get his $$$ in Toronto without having to leave or piss off the only city/team he's ever known, a team that is quite good, as much as it pains me to admit.

what if his offersheet is 16M*7 while the leafs offer is 11M*8 ? thats difference of 24M for him.

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
he can make more money by signing an offersheet cause he knows toronto will match

And damage his relationship with the team while doing so. It's not simply a question of who offers more money. It needs to be worth aggravating your team. An extra 500k wouldn't do it. It would need to be millions (2? 3? 4?) more, and no team will be willing to pay that + 4 firsts. There's a reason we never see offer sheets signed.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Why tampa does it.

Unfortunately Dorion is Ottawa's GM and not Tampa's! :)

Reactions: Clayonator

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
And damage his relationship with the team while doing so. It's not simply a question of who offers more money. It needs to be worth aggravating your team. An extra 500k wouldn't do it. It would need to be millions (2? 3? 4?) more, and no team will be willing to pay that + 4 firsts. There's a reason we never see offer sheets signed.
how would he damage his relationship with the team?

If Toronto is not giving him his worth by July 1st and someone else offers him more is that his fault?

Its up to Toronto and him to come to terms before July 1st which is plenty of time

Of course it would be over a few million but i guess the whole point is that some teams think he is a special player

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
how would he damage his relationship with the team?

If Toronto is not giving him his worth by July 1st and someone else offers him more is that his fault?

Its up to Toronto and him to come to terms before July 1st which is plenty of time

You think GMs are fine with their players signing with other teams and forcing their hand?

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
You think GMs are fine with their players signing with other teams and forcing their hand?
Dubas can sign him before July 1st to avoid exposing him

its all business and Dubas knows that. Is Toronto gonna be pissed and trade Matthews?

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016

its all business and Dubas knows that. Is Toronto gonna be pissed and trade Matthews?

I guess we'll agree to disagree. I think GMs detest offer sheets, and it hurts the relationship between the player and his team. It's not a coincidence the last players to sign them (O'Reilly, Weber) were traded after signing them.

Hell, wasn't the whole Brian Burke Barn Fight because he was pissed at an offer sheet?

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I don't understand our interest in Coyle. As @Micklebot pointed out, we have a deep forward group. We don't need another 2nd line upside/middle 6 downside type forward, especially not one that is 1 year away from free agency after this season.

If it's Dzingel for Coyle, that makes sense from a contractual point of view. We get similar assets for Coyle at the 2020 TDL than we would for Dzingel at the 2019, so we buy an extra year of a forward without having to commit 4-5 years at 4M+ to Dzingel.

The only other thing that might make sense would be a Tierney for Coyle swap. It seemed like on the day of the Karlsson trade, the trade was sort of delayed and didn't happen as early as some people expected. I've always sort of wondered if Pageau's injury caused us to pivot towards the Sharks including Tierney instead of somebody else. Granted, Tierney has been pretty good for us, but if that's the case I could see why the Sens might want invite moving him for a center they like better despite having only acquired him a few months ago.

Reactions: ChurchOfAlfie

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I guess we'll agree to disagree. I think GMs detest offer sheets, and it hurts the relationship between the player and his team. It's not a coincidence the last players to sign them (O'Reilly, Weber) were traded after signing them.

Hell, wasn't the whole Brian Burke Barn Fight because he was pissed at an offer sheet?
Weber was traded 4 years later that's a bit of time :help:

Good players get traded its not just an offersheet thing.

Hjalmarsson, Vanek, and Backes all stayed for some time with their teams after signing offersheets

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

They aren't getting as good of a return in a trade as they are in an offer sheet. Four unprotected first round picks from a team who is either bad enough or early enough in their rebuild to have the 13+ million to offer sheet Matthews has the upside to be a dynasty building acquisition for a team in Toronto's position that would still have a top level center in Tavares, an elite forward in Marner, and two very good forwards in Nylander and Kadri.

The benefit of a trade would be that at least part of what they get back will be an established player, so they won't invite a situation where 5+ years down the line they get really unlucky and none of the 4 first round picks they got pan out leading to them having lost Matthews for nothing.

If he won't sign, I think they have to wait for the offer sheet. It lets them fall on their own sword and portray Matthews as the villain. They get the high upside return between four unprotected 1sts and the huge amount of cap space freed up.

I wouldn't say the same thing under the old lottery system, but the new system has changed things. Giving a team an unprotected 1st for one season can be frightening....four seasons in a row for a playoff bubble team means there's a really good chance at least one of those picks is going to be a star.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad