Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals 2018-2019 (Part 19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
I think the best time to trade Chabot would be the deadline. The benefit is because of his age he's just as valuable to a rebuilding team as would be to a current contender. Of course we'd get more pieces from a contender and it will be an easier sell to the fanbase than jettisoning him to a team in a similar position to us.

I expect to see something like Chabot to a contender for the next 2 years unprotected firsts and a couple B+ level prospects.

Tkatchuk you hold onto until the next cba is signed. Start fielding offers after that pans out.

About what I expect from a Chabot trade as well, a few late 1sts and some more b and c level quantity. Sucks we have zero leverage with any other team and will always be dealing from a position of weakness indefinitely, but that's the scenario the owner has created.

Reactions: The Big Ruszkowski

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
If Chabot were traded prior to his first RFA contract there is something seriously seriously wrong.

We are so lucky to have hit such a dynamic defenseman... again.

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
I have no interest in trading Chabot or any other young player if they'll sign, because that's what seems to be the teams biggest need: Elite players signed long term to good contracts.

ie: if we cant sign UFA's, can't afford mature stars, and can't resign our own elite youth...then we must trade for them. In this landscape, I would consider trading Chabot if he was simply all about money and willing to sign somewhere willing to give him that money. Ex:

Chabot/Batherson/SJ1st
Tuch/Theodore

Chabot/Brown/SJ1st
2 of: Schmaltz/Chichrun/Dvorak

Chabot/Brown
Draisatl/Klefbom

Chabot/Batherson/SJ1st
Teravainen/Pesce

Chabot/Brown
Guentzel/Dumoulin/PIT1st

Purely winging it on the values/fit. But the point is that any of these trades would lock up 2 elite players until at least 2024. Food for thought.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
I have no interest in trading Chabot or any other young player if they'll sign, because that's what seems to be the teams biggest need: Elite players signed long term to good contracts.

ie: if we cant sign UFA's, can't afford mature stars, and can't resign our own elite youth...then we must trade for them. In this landscape, I would consider trading Chabot if he was simply all about money and willing to sign somewhere willing to give him that money. Ex:

Chabot/Batherson/SJ1st
Tuch/Theodore

Chabot/Brown/SJ1st
2 of: Schmaltz/Chichrun/Dvorak

Chabot/Brown
Draisatl/Klefbom

Chabot/Batherson/SJ1st
Teravainen/Pesce

Chabot/Brown
Guentzel/Dumoulin/PIT1st

Purely winging it on the values/fit. But the point is that any of these trades would lock up 2 elite players until at least 2024. Food for thought.

It will be Chabot + Ryan for someone with a hefty signing bonus paid for by the other team already.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
I too think Chabot will be moved either at the deadline or next offseason. I simply do not see them being able to pony up $20M of straight cash. They don't have the liquidity at all.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
I too think Chabot will be moved either at the deadline or next offseason. I simply do not see them being able to pony up $20M of straight cash. They don't have the liquidity at all.

Don't be fooled money has nothing to do with it. Its going to be because of Chabots attitude and his lack of commitment to the city of Ottawa and not wanting to be part of this organizations commitment to winning.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
If Chabot were traded prior to his first RFA contract, even the blindest of the most blindly positive Sens fan wouldn't be able to ignore how rotten the state of the organization would be.
They'll just blame the cba and move the goal posts to that needing to be fixed before its worth signing anyone.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I could see something around Chabot for Gostisbehere at the 2020 draft.

Gostisbehere is signed for 3 more years at 3.25M in real cash and can play 20 minutes a night.

Ghost, 2020 1st in the 12-18 type range, a 1st round type prospect (Maybe Patrick if his stock has fallen enough, but probably not). Then 2-3 other pieces "6 assets".

It'd be funny if we bundled Ryan in with Chabot, but if we couldn't justify doing it with Karlsson when we had the opportunity, we're not going to do it with Chabot. Judging by what was said about the TDL, the offers with Ryan+Karlsson were really soft.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
They'll just blame the cba and move the goal posts to that needing to be fixed before its worth signing anyone.

This is exactly what will happen. They will paint themselves as the victims of a CBA that rewards big money teams like Toronto while penalizing more modest teams.

In a sense, they won't be wrong, but they'll have no credibility left, and it is not a real excuse for losing a star. When Arizona can keep OEL, when FLA can pay Ekblad what they did, and when Carolina can match that Aho offer sheet, we should be able to keep Chabot.

Reactions: Gesus

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
If Chabot were traded prior to his first RFA contract, even the blindest of the most blindly positive Sens fan wouldn't be able to ignore how rotten the state of the organization would be.

I would guess that they've had talks . There are a few good RFAs and 10.2(c) types that need contracts as well. McAvoy is a 10.2(c) so, ;like White, he cannot get an offer sheet. I think the top RFAs are setting the benchmark for Chabot. Bonus money laden contracts is the new normal and part of making a competitive offer. I really don't have much insight into Mr. Melnyk's bank account but my feeling is he is trying to have hockey related revenues pay for costs including player costs and has cut everything to the bone to try to accomplish that with a dwindling season ticket base and reduced ticket sales. Cutting out the stars like they did is a short term band aid fix... New star players will emerge and the players coming of ELCs are demanding big $. The window to save on players is getting smaller. Chabot is the first up at bat here. Can Melnyk afford to play with the big boys. He has said he can be out gunned when it came to Karlsson. He would not step up to the plate for him. It certainly seems he was out gunned when it came to Stone. They can only hide behind the curtain so long. It was convenient to use the word "Rebuild" when they did. Now we are in it ; they have shown that they can tear it down. Can they keep the top young players they are bringing in in this market place. We will know soon enough what cards , if any they have up their sleeves. I don't have a lot of faith and they feed us a lot of bs imo.. so we shall see what the next 3 years bring with so many players coming in and off ELCs. I'd advise us not to get too attached to the ones with star potential unless they don't have an agent or don't listen to them.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I would guess that they've had talks . There are a few good RFAs and 10.2(c) types that need contracts as well. McAvoy is a 10.2(c) so, ;like White, he cannot get an offer sheet. I think the top RFAs are setting the benchmark for Chabot. Bonus money laden contracts is the new normal and part of making a competitive offer. I really don't have much insight into Mr. Melnyk's bank account but my feeling is he is trying to have hockey related revenues pay for costs including player costs and has cut everything to the bone to try to accomplish that with a dwindling season ticket base and reduced ticket sales. Cutting out the stars like they did is a short term band aid fix... New star players will emerge and the players coming of ELCs are demanding big $. The window to save on players is getting smaller. Chabot is the first up at bat here. Can Melnyk afford to play with the big boys. He has said he can be out gunned when it came to Karlsson. He would not step up to the plate for him. It certainly seems he was out gunned when it came to Stone. They can only hide behind the curtain so long. It was convenient to use the word "Rebuild" when they did. Now we are in it ; they have shown that they can tear it down. Can they keep the top young players they are bringing in in this market place. We will know soon enough what cards , if any they have up their sleeves. I don't have a lot of faith and they feed us a lot of bs imo.. so we shall see what the next 3 years bring with so many players coming in and off ELCs. I'd advise us not to get too attached to the ones with star potential unless they don't have an agent or don't listen to them.
Well said.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

This is a very good, well balanced post.

I am really hopeful that they step up and pay to play. I remember when we got the team, thinking it put this city on the map. In the big leagues.

Unfortunately the way contracts are going and the dollar in the shitter if we can't pay, people won't show, and it's a death spiral.

I am kind of hoping that the next US TV deal is as big as rumored. It will increase the cap but any form of revenue that is split evenly is helpful for us.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
No kidding.

At least Stone and Karlsson were UFAs so management could use "they were gonna walk" as an excuse. Literally no good reason not to resign RFA Chabot when we got like 50 million in cap space next year.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
This is a very good, well balanced post.

I am really hopeful that they step up and pay to play. I remember when we got the team, thinking it put this city on the map. In the big leagues.

Unfortunately the way contracts are going and the dollar in the ****ter if we can't pay, people won't show, and it's a death spiral.

I am kind of hoping that the next US TV deal is as big as rumored. It will increase the cap but any form of revenue that is split evenly is helpful for us.
The market can pay.

Melnyk can’t/won’t.

They are not one and the same.

A different owner who doesn’t fund the team through debt might have an entirely different spending pattern.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
In an alternate universe where the Sens have money to sign the guy to a contract extension, what would it cost for the Sens to acquire Matthew Tkachuk??

Colin White + SJ First + ??
Thomas Chabot straight up

Riceroni

Dec 14, 2018
I would be very tempted to trade White + SJS 1st for Tkachuk... keep the brothers together for the rest of their careers and draft Lafrenier next summer (if things work out).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->