Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals 2018-2019 (Part 19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

InTkachukWeTrust

Nov 10, 2013
I think Tierney would make sense for both sides. Maybe they add a little bit. Realistically we're gonna deal him at the deadline anyways for a 2nd. Might as well get a somewhat-developed prospect who's worth about a 2nd.

Worst case, he's a bottom 6er who can be Lassi's Finnish buddy. Best case? We get the player we all thought he could have been back in 2016. But in this rebuild I'd take a shot at him over a late 2nd at the deadline or Tierney

I would consider that! Dorion would be all over this because we’d save money haha

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I think Tierney would make sense for both sides. Maybe they add a little bit. Realistically we're gonna deal him at the deadline anyways for a 2nd. Might as well get a somewhat-developed prospect who's worth about a 2nd.

Worst case, he's a bottom 6er who can be Lassi's Finnish buddy. Best case? We get the player we all thought he could have been back in 2016. But in this rebuild I'd take a shot at him over a late 2nd at the deadline or Tierney
Would much rather a 2nd than Pulijujarvi.

Reactions: aragorn

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Melnyk and DOrion could win back a little bit of faith from the fans if they took Eriksson without sending salary back and gaining some mix of picks and prospects.

But we all know it'll never happen.

Much more likely its Ryan in exchange to save real dollars again.

Here's the thing....Eriksson is owed 18 million dollars over the next 3 seasons. How much talent do you think Vancouver will give away to rid themselves of that contract?

Now look at our situation. We are deep in high end D prospects. We are deep inG prospects. We are very deep in F prospects.what we are missing is really high end F prospects.

Do you think you can extract enough really high end F talent from Vancouver for this to make any sense? For us to spit out 18 million dollars when we are already going to struggle to pay Chabot, Tkachuk etc?

This deal will never happen but not for the reason you are alluding to.

Reactions: aragorn

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Eh, if it's not an early 2nd (ie: 32-40 overall), I'd gamble on Pulju.

I mean... We have three 2nd round picks in this upcoming draft. If the Poolparty price was the Dallas 2nd rounder, which will be mid-late in the round, I'm really OK with that.
Would rather just package a couple 2nds for another first or use it on a cap/expansion draft casualty defender or use it as currency to protect a player we need. Pulijujarvi won't have any value in a year or two from now (like Filatov or Cowen). Gotta stock that war chest for when an actual good player hits the market.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Here's the thing....Eriksson is owed 18 million dollars over the next 3 seasons. How much talent do you think Vancouver will give away to rid themselves of that contract?

Now look at our situation. We are deep in high end D prospects. We are deep inG prospects. We are very deep in F prospects.what we are missing is really high end F prospects.

Do you think you can extract enough really high end F talent from Vancouver for this to make any sense? For us to spit out 18 million dollars when we are already going to struggle to pay Chabot, Tkachuk etc?

Isn't the bold the reason he was alluding to though? (also, Eriksson is only owed 13 mil for his last 3 seasons, and 4 of that has likely already been payed out in a 4 mil signing bonus this season, so 9 mil over 3 years for us, which is why people think he'd be an attractive target for the sens)

I mean, you're right, taking on Eriksson's contract isn't going to land us the missing pieces the team needs, more likely just picks or prospects in area's we are already deep in, but that depth is, as Dorion alluded to prior to the draft, the currency needed to allow you to move up in the draft or make a trade to get those higher end pieces. It's what allows you to take a risk on reclamation projects like Puljujarvi who are bust or boom.

At the end of the day, real dollars currently hold more value to the org than maximizing the chances of success in the future. There's nothing wrong with that per say, though it's a bit depressing for fans particularly since we seem to have taken it to an extreme. We aren't the leafs, we can't buy our way out of things.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

Loui Eriksson is due about 9M over the next 3 years.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON

Talent? Pfft. We'll take Eriksson for some short term real dollar savings. Book it.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

Agreed with the areas in which the prospect pool is lacking. There are two ways to address that. You draft can't miss prospects with the top 3 picks. Or you gather a lot of middle tier to good prospects and hope a few of them turn into Stone, Hoffman or Alfredsson.

When it comes to going the latter, you can't have enough picks and prospects. Another 3 years of Eriksson while this team sucks is worth adding another couple of pieces to that pool imo.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017

So I live in Vancouver and the media here has dragged this story on and on and on about an Eriksson deal even before those comments he made to a Swedish news outlet. Couple things they keep repeating:

1) Vancouver is in a place now where they put together a depth chart of forwards and not have Loui factor into the top 12. That hasn't happened since they signed him. They also have enough capable forwards that can fill in where Loui was (PK, checking line, more goals etc.)

2) It's hard for anyone to imagine him showing up to the Canucks training camp this year given how the last 6 months have transpired. Travis Green has alluded in interviews that he would rather give someone else Eriksson ice time for a number of reasons. If that scenario does happen, there is a real possibility that they bury him in Utica until they find something that works.

3) Jake Virtanen's name has constantly been brought up as the sweetener to any Eriksson deal now that the Lucic swap won't be happening.

From a Sens POV I don't think this makes any sense. Taking on Eriksson may get them Virtanen as well but it looks like Benning doesn't want to do that, at least for another year.

Best case scenario would be getting a young project as the add on but there are better deals out there if all you want back is another teams project.

Sens77

Sep 13, 2018
Eh, if it's not an early 2nd (ie: 32-40 overall), I'd gamble on Pulju.

I mean... We have three 2nd round picks in this upcoming draft. If the Poolparty price was the Dallas 2nd rounder, which will be mid-late in the round, I'm really OK with that.

I doubt that any GM would even give a second. JP has not yet demonstrated to be able to adjust to play in the NHL full time yet, and there are rumblings that he is unwilling to adjust his play style to NA hockey. On top of that, if the acquiring team decides that he must continue his development (which I think I should to regain his confidence) he would have to go through waivers... therefor the team would risk losing him.

As much as I love his potential, just the fact that he is showing resistance to adjust and follow instruction would most likely deter Dorion from giving an asset of significance. Last thing the Sens need is another player/coach conflict. If he was part of a salary dump and he was the sweetner... I'd probably bite as long as we don't give up one of our assets.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Vancouver is trying to put pressure on Loui and his camp to waive his modified NTC. We’re probably the team in play - I mean, who else could possibly be interested?

It’s likely going to be a Ryan for Eriksson swap with a pick swap as well, hopefully we end up with the better pick. LOL.

Last edited:

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Flames Valimaki tears ACL. They need D. What would a package around DeMelo look like. Does he bring a 2020 2nd straight up? What can we add for 2021 1st that is not core.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Vancouver is trying to put pressure on Loui and his camp to waive his modified NTC. We’re probably the team in play - I mean, who else could possibly be interested?

It’s likely going to be a Ryan for Eriksson swap with a pick swap as well, hopefully we end up with the better pick. LOL.

If they're saving us cash, you know we'll be tossing in the better pick.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Flames Valimaki tears ACL. They need D. What would a package around DeMelo look like. Does he bring a 2020 2nd straight up? What can we add for 2021 1st that is not core.
Valimaki is a LD so I don t think he want Demelo. After who you put to fill the Rd

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I expect that by the deadline Ottawa will have traded all of their UFAs & maybe a couple of other guys like Tierny C or Duclair LW. MacArthur's & Calahan's contracts will also be done after this season & they will be off the books.

2019 - 2020 Season Ottawa Senators UFAs to Trade:
- Pageau C, Boedker LW, Ennis LW, DeMello RD, Boroweicki LD, Hainsey RD & Anderson G.

Belleville UFAs that could also be traded:
- Goloubef RD & Szwarz RW

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

We are not getting a 1st for Demelo.

I don't think he has done enough to up his value. Teams are going to be skeptical that he is a product of being in the right place. Demelo was a UFA a year ago and there wasn't a big market for him.

I could maybe see a 3rd if the Flames are really desperate.

It would make more sense to move Boro. We have no real need for him anymore. It doesn't seem like he will get much playing time. If we can get a pick for him and give him a chance to go somewhere he might get minutes, that's a win for everybody.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
We are not getting a 1st for Demelo.

I don't think he has done enough to up his value. Teams are going to be skeptical that he is a product of being in the right place. Demelo was a UFA a year ago and there wasn't a big market for him.

I could maybe see a 3rd if the Flames are really desperate.

It would make more sense to move Boro. We have no real need for him anymore. It doesn't seem like he will get much playing time. If we can get a pick for him and give him a chance to go somewhere he might get minutes, that's a win for everybody.

If Demelo has another solid start to the year, I'd expect a Nick Jensen type trade. So basically, a mid-level prospect like Madison Bowey who could play today + a 2nd or 3rd.

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019
Would hate to trade Pageau, but assuming he has a good year (it is a contract year) he is likely our best chance at getting a 1st, next to Tierney. I think by himself Pageau might get a 2nd + prospect, would likely have to package him with Hainsey (depth D) to get a 1st at the TDL. Tierney (2 or 3C) and Demelo (4 or 5D on solid team) might get another 1st.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Would hate to trade Pageau, but assuming he has a good year (it is a contract year) he is likely our best chance at getting a 1st, next to Tierney. I think by himself Pageau might get a 2nd + prospect, would likely have to package him with Hainsey (depth D) to get a 1st at the TDL. Tierney (2 or 3C) and Demelo (4 or 5D on solid team) might get another 1st.

Judging by the prices at last TDL, I'd expect a 2nd+3rd for Pageau.

Sens won't trade both Tierney and Pageau. They will keep Tierney for his 1 more year of team control and then deal him at the 2021 TDL.

I would be surprised if we re-sign Pageau. He is going to command 4.5+ x 4-6 years.

Reactions: Cosmix

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Judging by the prices at last TDL, I'd expect a 2nd+3rd for Pageau.

Sens won't trade both Tierney and Pageau. They will keep Tierney for his 1 more year of team control and then deal him at the 2021 TDL.

I would be surprised if we re-sign Pageau. He is going to command 4.5+ x 4-6 years.
With Anisimov being here now, I think they can probably go ahead and deal then both.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Teams will not be trading away their 1st round picks in one of the deepest drafts in years for mid-tier depth rentals like Pageau, DeMelo, and Hainsey.

Everything of high value has already been sold off of the roster.

Reactions: derriko
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad