Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals 2018-2019 (Part 19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Considering how easily teams have gotten rid of bad contracts this summer, there is no way anyone would be getting a 2nd or 3rd as a sweetner for Andy. Dude is on the last year of his contract, and could even be a positive asset for a team at the trade deadline.
A lot of the bad contracts moved have been LTIR contracts though, which are clearly not the same as $4.75m that actually counts against the cap AND needs to be paid in full by a club rather than by insurance.

Marleau is a good comparison. Just like Anderson he could feasibly be a positive asset on the ice, but his cap hit was/ terrible. Admittedly Toronto were up against the cap so they didn't have much of a bargaining position, but it did cost a 1st round pick to move his $6m 1 year salary.

Neal and Lucic are another couple of examples of players who aren't LTIR and who's AAV still count against the cap. The cost to get rid of them was acquiring another bad contract.

Granted, Ottawa aren't in pressing need to move their starting goalie (even if he's backup quality), but if they did want to move him to drop the $4.75m salary I could see it costing a 3rd, particularly given that there aren't many teams who need a backup or No.3 goalie AND who have the capspace to take him.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Ryan Miller
Keith Kinkaid

EDIT: Apparently Luongo as well

If I recall right, we were the #2 team on Luongo at the deadline.

Our offer was Havlat, Meszaros/Volchenkov, 1st, 2nd, prospect (forget who)

Oh, if only...

Then again, that might have been the 2007 1st...

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Could definitely see something based around Boedker for Eriksson+ happening.

Eriksson is only making 1M for the rest of the year, so we'd be saving 2M this year by making the swap. Would have to pay him 4M per in 2020/21 and 2021/22, but we literally have 50M+ in cap space opening up next year and his 6M cap hit could help us hit the floor.

Reactions: stempniaksen

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Ryan for Eriksson as a base makes sense.

Ryan's cap hit is higher than Eriksson's cap hit. That means the Sens probably have to retain 1.25M on Ryan, or (pending NTCs not being blocking the trade) take back someone like Beagle.

Ottawa saves money. Vancouver gets a change of scenery.

I'd guess we would have to add because we'd be saving money and it would be cap neutral for them and Ryan isn't enough of an upgrade to merit the extra cash Vancouver would have to pay.

Reactions: stempniaksen

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Just something to chew on.

If we retain half of Ryan's contract and trade him for Eriksson, we still save real money. We'd save either 1.25M or 3.25M over the lifetime of both contracts. This is depending on if we've already paid Ryan's bonus for the upcoming season.

A-GM Garrioch reported on multiple occasions that Ryan's bonus is paid on May 15th. He has not made it clear whether Ryan's bonus that was paid on May 15th 2019 was for the 18-19 or the 19-20 season. That's why it is unclear.

If we've already paid the bonus, Ryan is owed 20.5M. Half of that is 10.25M. Eriksson is owed 9M over the remainder of his contract.

So in this scenario where VAN is willing to do Ryan (half retained) for Eriksson, we can either have Ryan for 20.5 or Eriksson for 19.25.

I am not in a million years suggesting that we'd make that trade just to save 1.25M. I am only illustrating that because we can go as far as retaining max and save money in a swap, there is probably a comfortable middle ground that both teams can find where Ryan goes to Vancouver at a lower cap hit than Eriksson, and Ottawa does it because it saves them a few million dollars over the next three seasons.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
The issue I see with a Ryan for Eriksson+ trade is that the Canucks currently have about 5M in cap space with Boeser and Goldobin still to re-sign.

Unless Beagle waives his NTC (along with Eriksson), I can't see it working cap-wise. Don't see why he would, unless the Canucks seriously threaten to throw him in Utica as well.

Boedker makes sense to me becauase the Canucks would save 2M, likely opening up the necessary room to bridge Boeser and sign Goldobin. Would save even more if they included a player like Virtanen or Schaller in the deal.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
The issue I see with a Ryan for Eriksson+ trade is that the Canucks currently have about 5M in cap space with Boeser and Goldobin still to re-sign.

Unless Beagle waives his NTC (along with Eriksson), I can't see it working cap-wise. Don't see why he would, unless the Canucks seriously threaten to throw him in Utica as well.

Boedker makes sense to me becauase the Canucks would save 2M, likely opening up the necessary room to bridge Boeser and sign Goldobin. Would save even more if they included a player like Virtanen or Schaller in the deal.

Why would we trade do Eriksson for Boedker? Its 3x more money, 3x more term, and Boedker has outscored Eriksson in each of the last 3 seasons. Eriksson is also 4 yrs older.

They would have to add a decent piece at least

Alternatively, I'd do Boedker for Sutter if Nucks would have interest there. Would lessen the blow of losing Pageau and/or Tierney

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013

I just can't see the Senators taking Eriksson at 4M per during those final two seasons without more money going back. Boedker (3M salary) isn't enough to offset that.

I could see something like Ryan @ 5M for Eriksson @ 6M. Saves Vancouver 650k-1M in cap space (assuming they were going to bury Eriksson). Ottawa will save a few million over the lifetime of the contracts, and maybe the Senators would appreciate moving out on of the last guys remaining from the "broken room" era to help complete the culture shift. (Not suggesting Ryan is or isn't bad in the room).

It wouldn't solve all Vancouver's problems, but they'd save 1M.

VAN has about 7.5-8.0 million in cap space right now because their roster on capfriendly is being calculated as a 24 player roster. The NHL cap is 23, and when they sign Boeser and Goldobin, they will send down players. This means they'll send down 3 players making 700k-1M and recoup that space to put toward Boeser and Goldobin.

If I recall, the rumor was that Boeser would sign a bridge. He is in a similar spot to White, where he cannot sign an offer sheet. Goldobin maybe gets in the low 2 millions at most unless it is a really long term deal. That leaves around 5.5-6.0 for Boeser, which if they are doing a 2-3 year deal seems realistic to me. It's hard to predict though because bridge deals for players like Boeser have not been common as of late so there aren't a lot of comparable contracts.

Point being, I don't think VAN is in a situation where they have to dump this entire contract. Something like Ryan @ 5M for Eriksson @ 6M would probably help both sides a lot. (Ottawa money, Vancouver cap)

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Why would we trade do Eriksson for Boedker? Its 3x more money, 3x more term, and Boedker has outscored Eriksson in each of the last 3 seasons. Eriksson is also 4 yrs older.

They would have to add a decent piece at least

Alternatively, I'd do Boedker for Sutter if Nucks would have interest there. Would lessen the blow of losing Pageau and/or Tierney

We do it because we currently only have 28.5M in cap hit carrying into next season. That gives us about 53M in cap space if the cap doesn't increase at all. Even if we are still aiming to just hit the floor, that's 33M we have to add in cap to hit it.

Even with Chabot and White hopefully re-signed to long-term deals, we'd still need to add probably about 20M to hit the floor. We're probably going to need to acquire some big money deals to hit the floor again. I'd much rather we do that by trading for a bad contract like Eriksson's in exchange for getting a good prospect/pick attached than add a bad LTIR deal or two to hit the floor, which only benefits Melnyk.

Something like Boedker for Eriksson, Lind, 2nd would be a good deal for both teams.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I just can't see the Senators taking Eriksson at 4M per during those final two seasons without more money going back. Boedker (3M salary) isn't enough to offset that.

I could see something like Ryan @ 5M for Eriksson @ 6M. Saves Vancouver 650k-1M in cap space (assuming they were going to bury Eriksson). Ottawa will save a few million over the lifetime of the contracts, and maybe the Senators would appreciate moving out on of the last guys remaining from the "broken room" era to help complete the culture shift. (Not suggesting Ryan is or isn't bad in the room).

It wouldn't solve all Vancouver's problems, but they'd save 1M.

VAN has about 7.5-8.0 million in cap space right now because their roster on capfriendly is being calculated as a 24 player roster. The NHL cap is 23, and when they sign Boeser and Goldobin, they will send down players. This means they'll send down 3 players making 700k-1M and recoup that space to put toward Boeser and Goldobin.

If I recall, the rumor was that Boeser would sign a bridge. He is in a similar spot to White, where he cannot sign an offer sheet. Goldobin maybe gets in the low 2 millions at most unless it is a really long term deal. That leaves around 5.5-6.0 for Boeser, which if they are doing a 2-3 year deal seems realistic to me. It's hard to predict though because bridge deals for players like Boeser have not been common as of late so there aren't a lot of comparable contracts.

Point being, I don't think VAN is in a situation where they have to dump this entire contract. Something like Ryan @ 5M for Eriksson @ 6M would probably help both sides a lot. (Ottawa money, Vancouver cap)

We will likely need a contract like Eriksson's or a big money LTIR deal like Zetterberg's anyway just to hit the floor next season.

Eriksson's 6M cap hit and 4M salary could be used to hit the floor and still save Melnyk some dough. Difference between that and taking on a guy like Zetterberg is that we'd probably get much better compensation from Vancouver to take Eriksson's contract off their hands. I could see them easily trading a 2nd + a decent prospect to get rid of his deal.

I suppose I'm being unrealistically optimistic though. That's what a smart management and ownership group would do in our situation. Instead we'll almost certainly just take on an LTIR deal to hit the cap without getting much if anything back in return just to save Melnyk some money.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Now that Condon has been dealt for Callahan's LTIR deal, it makes it much more difficult to come up with an Eriksson trade that makes some sense for both sides. I proposed a Boedker+Condon package for Eriksson a few times but obviously that ship has sailed.

Boedker alone for Eriksson does save the Sens some short term cash - 2M for the 19/20 season - but it adds payroll for the two following seasons. Not sure the Sens would go for it, although I suppose the Ceci/Harpur for Zaitsev/Brown deal could provide some precedent.

I think there could be a better deal out there from Melnyk's perspective. Would Arizona swap Hossa's LTIR contract for Boedker? That would be big cash savings for the Sens and it provides a capped out Coyotes franchise with a little breathing room.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
We do it because we currently only have 28.5M in cap hit carrying into next season. That gives us about 53M in cap space if the cap doesn't increase at all. Even if we are still aiming to just hit the floor, that's 33M we have to add in cap to hit it.

Even with Chabot and White hopefully re-signed to long-term deals, we'd still need to add probably about 20M to hit the floor. We're probably going to need to acquire some big money deals to hit the floor again. I'd much rather we do that by trading for a bad contract like Eriksson's in exchange for getting a good prospect/pick attached than add a bad LTIR deal or two to hit the floor, which only benefits Melnyk.

Something like Boedker for Eriksson, Lind, 2nd would be a good deal for both teams.

That I would do in a second but I don’t think the Nucks would...

And Melnyk has shown he won’t trade money for assets unfortunately. Don’t see him adding 9 mil for a solid prospect and a 2nd rounder

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
That I would do in a second but I don’t think the Nucks would...

And Melnyk has shown he won’t trade money for assets unfortunately. Don’t see him adding 9 mil for a solid prospect and a 2nd rounder
Pass. Boedkers only has 1 year left on his contract and Lind + 2nd isn’t worth taking Loui for three more years. Lind will be a bust if he doesn’t work on his skating.

The Sens should offer Bobby Ryan for Eriksson + Schaller + 2nd.

That’s a total of $10.4M coming in and $20.M going out in real dollars. Sounds like a deal Melnyk would love.

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
Sens need to be taking this cap space and using it for pics and prospects not cash savings. This does nothing to help the rebuild , you can spin it how you want but it just doesn't.

Is best for Sens to stay patient and wait for closer to training camp when teams will need to get under the cap and will be making those tough decisions and willing to part with assets.

These moves don't make the team Better at all , this just puts more money in EM's pocket that will not be used to better the team.

These LTIR and cap loopholes are sure to be sealed up in the next CBA agreement , they are not being used for what they are meant for and just being abused by the Sens and other teams.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Late to the party on this, but I have zero interest in Eriksson and I doubt management has any either. Dude can't play anymore - he's a complete hazard out there. At least Bobby Ryan can still chip in offensively and play on your PP2, and is a good guy in the room and in the community who everyone likes. Sure he makes too much money but we need his salary to hit the floor anyway, and right now he at least makes a contribution. Eriksson is a net negative.

We only have one more year of Boedker, so no need to panic on him - use him when you need to, bury him in the press box if he's not contributing, and know that's he's out of here soon enough anyway. (God, what a terrible trade that was - I defended it at the beginning, but Boedker just fell off the face of the earth in the second half of last season.)

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
We will likely need a contract like Eriksson's or a big money LTIR deal like Zetterberg's anyway just to hit the floor next season.

Eriksson's 6M cap hit and 4M salary could be used to hit the floor and still save Melnyk some dough. Difference between that and taking on a guy like Zetterberg is that we'd probably get much better compensation from Vancouver to take Eriksson's contract off their hands. I could see them easily trading a 2nd + a decent prospect to get rid of his deal.

I suppose I'm being unrealistically optimistic though. That's what a smart management and ownership group would do in our situation. Instead we'll almost certainly just take on an LTIR deal to hit the cap without getting much if anything back in return just to save Melnyk some money.

Melnyk and DOrion could win back a little bit of faith from the fans if they took Eriksson without sending salary back and gaining some mix of picks and prospects.

But we all know it'll never happen.

Much more likely its Ryan in exchange to save real dollars again.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
What would we need to trade for Jesse P in Edmonton? I figure he could probably get some ice time here.
I think Tierney would make sense for both sides. Maybe they add a little bit. Realistically we're gonna deal him at the deadline anyways for a 2nd. Might as well get a somewhat-developed prospect who's worth about a 2nd.

Worst case, he's a bottom 6er who can be Lassi's Finnish buddy. Best case? We get the player we all thought he could have been back in 2016. But in this rebuild I'd take a shot at him over a late 2nd at the deadline or Tierney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad