Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals 2018-2019 (Part 19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I think 2M give or take on a 2 year deal is a very conservative floor for him. He almost certainly gets more.

I was trying to be conservative to prove the point that we have already more than exceeded the cap floor once we deal with our outstanding contracts/roster spots.

I don't think he gets more than 2.5 on a 2 year bridge deal though. I could end up being wrong. If they go longer term that brings the AAV up.

Ah ok, fair enough!

Personally, I think he’ll get at least 3M. We’ll see what happens.

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I think 2M give or take on a 2 year deal is a very conservative floor for him. He almost certainly gets more.

I was trying to be conservative to prove the point that we have already more than exceeded the cap floor once we deal with our outstanding contracts/roster spots.

I don't think he gets more than 2.5 on a 2 year bridge deal though. I could end up being wrong. If they go longer term that brings the AAV up.

Evolving wild's salary projections have him at 2 years around 1.85, or 3 years at 2.72 or if we want to go to buy up some UFA years, 5-7years ranges from 3.5-4

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
We should be going hard after Gusev. Top 6er in his mid 20s that could be had for cheap, both in terms of assets and salary, due to his non-existent track record in North America.

Vegas probably wants a cheap RD after trading Miller. Could offer up DeMelo or Jaros, along with a prospect and a pick. Could be an awesome buy-low pickup if he proves to be more of a Panarin than a Shipachev.

Reactions: h2owned

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
We should be going hard after Gusev. Top 6er in his mid 20s that could be had for cheap, both in terms of assets and salary, due to his non-existent track record in North America.

Vegas probably wants a cheap RD after trading Miller. Could offer up DeMelo or Jaros, along with a prospect and a pick. Could be an awesome buy-low pickup if he proves to be more of a Panarin than a Shipachev.

Not that it's completely relevant but I don't know if the Shipachov situation ever happens again. An expansion team that won straight out of the gate and gave up on a guy 3 games into his NHL career. We'll never know how good he could have been.

Colin Miller was a healthy scratch for part of the year so not sure Vegas is looking for his replacement. I think Gusev will get traded with picks/prospects

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC

I think Jaros was mentioned as one of the untouchable by Dorion, and other than zaitsev Ottawa doesn't do russians.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Evolving wild's salary projections have him at 2 years around 1.85, or 3 years at 2.72 or if we want to go to buy up some UFA years, 5-7years ranges from 3.5-4
I’d like to give him a similar contract we gave Kyle Turris. 6 years at 3.75mill, a total of 22.5 million gives him security and a solid pay day and leaves him open to get a new bigger contract when he’s in his prime in his late 20s.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I’d like to give him a similar contract we gave Kyle Turris. 6 years at 3.75mill, a total of 22.5 million gives him security and a solid pay day and leaves him open to get a new bigger contract when he’s in his prime in his late 20s.
He should bet on himself and take the 2 year 2-2.5 with 1m signing each each and keep working on his game.

Reactions: derriko

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

You have to account for inflation though. I mean, Alex Tuch basically just signed the same type of contract (a year ago) and it was for 4.75 million. I have a hard time seeing White give away UFA years for anything less than $5 million AAV.

Would be interesting to be a fly on the wall when PD and CW are discussing an extension. Something in the 4 x 4 range could be mutually beneficial. White gets his money/security while the Sens get another shot to lock up his UFA years.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
The contract Turris signed when adjusted for cap inflation would come in at just about 4.75M per for 5 seasons. Alex Tuch signed for the same AAV, but it was for 7 seasons. I'm not sure how many UFA years Turris' deal bought up. That is another element that changes things. Some RFAs have burned through more years than others and expect a higher salary on a longer term deal because it buys up more UFA years.

Turris was a bit more productive (measured by P/PG) in his lone season with the Senators prior to signing than White and probably had a higher perceived ceiling.

Using just one comparable doesn't always work, but even without the Turris comparable, my gut tells me 4.75 would be high for a 5 year term. Judging by some things Dorion has said when publicly evaluating our group of prospects, I don't think they perceive White to have much more of an offensive upside than what he showed this season. He seems like a guy penciled in to be our middle 6 center going forward.

We haven't signed a real long term contract since Ryan. I'd be shocked if White is the player that we break that with. I would guess that maybe it would be a 3 year contract. Sens probably want 2, but it wouldn't be smart for White to agree to 2 because then he risks having to negotiate his next extension after not being able to showcase himself if there is a lockout.

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
If you were his agent is that what you would tell him to do? Or would you tell him to sign the 6 year 22.5 million contract? I always wonder what the agents tell these guys and what the players think. If I was 21 I gotta think I would sign the long term contract to really set myself up for life.
I don't know. Where is the cap going over that 6 years or over the next 2 years. I don't know what a new collective bargaining agreement looks will look like. An agent would be closer to that than me for sure. I think he is just starting out. He's had 1 year in the NHL. Does he see him self as a middle of the road player. Because that deal sort of sounds like a middle of the road player kind of deal for 6 years. Its not enough imo. has to be at least 4 .. likely 4.5 over 6. Otherwise I would take my 2-2.5 and bet that I can make more over 6 years.

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
Judging by some things Dorion has said when publicly evaluating our group of prospects, I don't think they perceive White to have much more of an offensive upside than what he showed this season. He seems like a guy penciled in to be our middle 6 center going forward.

I could've sworn Dorion has said publicly that he views White as a 70 point center, I could be misremembering though. I wanna say this was during last offseason.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

So you want to trade an Nhl established d man or a young nhl d man with upside plus a prospect and a pick for a guy that hockey db says weighs 154 pounds and that has never played in the NHL.

You are the exact guy that would be highlighting that deal a year after Gusev flops and calling out the GM for poor asset mgmt.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The contract Turris signed when adjusted for cap inflation would come in at just about 4.75M per for 5 seasons. Alex Tuch signed for the same AAV, but it was for 7 seasons. I'm not sure how many UFA years Turris' deal bought up. That is another element that changes things. Some RFAs have burned through more years than others and expect a higher salary on a longer term deal because it buys up more UFA years.

Turris was a bit more productive (measured by P/PG) in his lone season with the Senators prior to signing than White and probably had a higher perceived ceiling.

Using just one comparable doesn't always work, but even without the Turris comparable, my gut tells me 4.75 would be high for a 5 year term. Judging by some things Dorion has said when publicly evaluating our group of prospects, I don't think they perceive White to have much more of an offensive upside than what he showed this season. He seems like a guy penciled in to be our middle 6 center going forward.

We haven't signed a real long term contract since Ryan. I'd be shocked if White is the player that we break that with. I would guess that maybe it would be a 3 year contract. Sens probably want 2, but it wouldn't be smart for White to agree to 2 because then he risks having to negotiate his next extension after not being able to showcase himself if there is a lockout.

When did he say that? Any links?

orkid

Jun 25, 2014
Maybe it's just because I'm not rich, but I've never understood the squabbling in contract negotiations by top tier players to get the extra 500k per year or whatever. I mean even beyond that, is there really that drastic a difference in quality of life if you get an 80 million dollar contract vs a 50 million? I know I sound like Melnyk. I know every player has a right to sign the contract they're offered/get paid what they're worth, but it's still weird to me that the popular mentality is to squeeze every penny out of your contract.

In fairness, if I'm Kevin Hayes, I'm signing that contract before the ink's dry.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Maybe it's just because I'm not rich, but I've never understood the squabbling in contract negotiations by top tier players to get the extra 500k per year or whatever. I mean even beyond that, is there really that drastic a difference in quality of life if you get an 80 million dollar contract vs a 50 million? I know I sound like Melnyk. I know every player has a right to sign the contract they're offered/get paid what they're worth, but it's still weird to me that the popular mentality is to squeeze every penny out of your contract.

In fairness, if I'm Kevin Hayes, I'm signing that contract before the ink's dry.

“I look at it like this: I’m at a restaurant with my wife — it’s a nice restaurant and we’re eating dinner. I look across the room and see this guy eating dinner and I say, ‘You see this guy across the room? He has $100 million, and we’re eating the same entree.’ Okay, fine, I don’t have $50 million or whatever it was. Let’s say I have $10 million in the bank — the difference in lifestyle is miniscule. The only difference between having $10 million and $50 million is an astounding $40 million. Of course, I would like to have that money.” - Dave Chappelle

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Well, for the most part we're talking guys in their 20s here. That extra $500k put into a good investment comes out to a nice pile of money by the time that player is in his 40s. And you figure, a guy who retires at 30 or 35 has a good 40+ years ahead of him to plan for financially.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
When did he say that? Any links?

There was an old interview maybe on TSN 1200 where he was rattling off the prospects and where they projected them as a means of putting over how deep the pool was.

If I recall, in the same interview he said Brown would be project as a 2C.

It was probably about this time last year. I think it was after the Karlsson trade.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018

I get how UFAs or guys on expiring contracts want to go out and get top dollar and take these owners to the cleaners, they’ve earned it.
If I’m a guy like Colin White id really want to lock up a sizeable contract and set my self up for life right now. He could sign a 1 year deal for 2 million but what if something happens, an injury or something and it doesn’t work out for him. 2 million is a lot and all but after taxes it doesn’t totally set you up for life. Lock up 20 million and you’re insanely rich. That’s what I’d be looking to do but who knows how these guys see things.

orkid

Jun 25, 2014
I get how UFAs or guys on expiring contracts want to go out and get top dollar and take these owners to the cleaners, they’ve earned it.
If I’m a guy like Colin White id really want to lock up a sizeable contract and set my self up for life right now. He could sign a 1 year deal for 2 million but what if something happens, an injury or something and it doesn’t work out for him. 2 million is a lot and all but after taxes it doesn’t totally set you up for life. Lock up 20 million and you’re insanely rich. That’s what I’d be looking to do but who knows how these guys see things.

Fair point, but I'm talking less about the Colin Whites and more the Karlssons/Panarin/Bobrovskis who are guaranteed at least 50$ million on max terms (very team friendly numbers). Karlsson at 60 million versus 70 is pretty marginal for his lifestyle (he can have anything he'll ever want for the rest of his life either way), but makes a huge difference in terms of a team's ability to manage the cap. Not to mention he already came off a 40+ million contract in his early 20s.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
So you want the sens to help the leafs even more and get worse in the process while giving up Demelo who has real value, terrible deal for Ottawa. I dont really see how thats 'coming in peace'.

Didnt mean to be a jerk, thought saving the 3.2m in cash would help. I'd have no problem adding in a prospect or giving the 3rd rounder back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad