Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals 2018-2019 (Part 19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I wonder if Vegas would package clarkson and Gusev in a trade. They just don’t have the room for him, and they the thing they need most is cap space.

I wonder if Ottawa is going to need that 5.25m of dead cap come the trade deadline.
Vegas doesn't need to get rid of an LTIR player.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I'll say this much - the Brandon Tanev contract in Pittsburgh sure makes me feel better about paying Zack Smith $3.25mil/year for the next two years.

I mean, it's not ideal, but if GMs are going to throw SIX YEARS at guys like Tanev at the cap hit he'll get, it makes Smith's current deal seem kind of normal.

... KIND of normal. :laugh:

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
What would people think about signing Dzingel again, as a hypothetical unlikely possibility? I know there’s the rumours of CHI which makes sense for him but, as we see, he’s still a FA.

Only other FA that really interests me is Ferland, not really any D that excites me.

Edit - more so for the power forward element than scoring; the points are just a bonus.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
What would people think about signing Dzingel again, as a hypothetical unlikely possibility? I know there’s the rumours of CHI which makes sense for him but, as we see, he’s still a FA.

Only other FA that really interests me is Ferland, not really any D that excites me.

Edit - more so for the power forward element than scoring; the points are just a bonus.
rather just tank and make those types of moves next summer after we secure a top line forward in the draft

Tkachuk27

Nov 30, 2011

I would have offered Ryan Dzingel the Ron Hainsey money but with term

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018

Unless they want a one year show-me-again deal to hit UFA again next year, we shouldn't. We're going to be bad this year, and it's the only year I actually want us to be bad, so me personally, I'd rather not mess with the tank. Unless we can get another 1st for them at the deadline, I'd rather just go with the current lineup and let most of the kids marinate in Belleville, while securing a top 5 pick in the best draft since 2003. Just my two cents.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

I'd go big money on a short term if either one of Ferland/Dzingel get squeezed in this market and want to take another shot in a year or two. Probably involves finding a taker for Boedkker though (this is the Sens, we do money in/money out even when we're below the cap) and I'm not sure that's realistic.

Tkachuk - White - Batherson/Brown
Dzingle/Ferland - Tierney - Ryan
Duclair - Pageau - Batherson/Brown
Ennis/Paul - Smith - Verroneau
Ennis/Paul

Chabot - Zaitsev/Demelo
Wolanin - Zaitsev/Demelo
Lajoie/Brannstrom - Hainsey
Borowiecki - Jaros

That might not be a bottom-five team if goaltending holds up and we get the typical "year 1 coaching bump" from this group under DJ.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
rather just tank and make those types of moves next summer after we secure a top line forward in the draft
Or sign them to 1 year deals then flip them, that would be ideal. Might be able to get Dzingle to come back on a 1 year because he knows he can produce here and is comfortable.

Reactions: derriko

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I'll say this much - the Brandon Tanev contract in Pittsburgh sure makes me feel better about paying Zack Smith $3.25mil/year for the next two years.

I mean, it's not ideal, but if GMs are going to throw SIX YEARS at guys like Tanev at the cap hit he'll get, it makes Smith's current deal seem kind of normal.

Outside the context of the Sens budget, I didn't think the deal was bad at the time. Smith was paid like an effective 3rd line winger, not like a gritty 25 goal scorer. The problem is that after signing the deal he has declined to where most of the time he probably isn't a 3.25M 3rd liner. Term is probably a bigger issue with that deal than AAV.

With that said, Smith took a huge discount. Mark Stone pretty much bought Smith a few cottages. Smith could have gotten more money and term on July 1st.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Or sign them to 1 year deals then flip them, that would be ideal. Might be able to get Dzingle to come back on a 1 year because he knows he can produce here and is comfortable.
i doubt dzingle signs for just one year and if he does its with a contender im guessing

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013

i would have rather done this but with the money we already spent since we probably dont have any left now

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
i doubt dzingle signs for just one year and if he does its with a contender im guessing

It could make sense to come back to the team where he put up career highs and had the most success if he's going to re-enter the market next year. I certainly understand the allure of playing on a contender (or winning team) but from the aspect of continuing to build his value, coming into a situation where he would play top-six minutes and top unit powerplay (and hopefully pace at ~60 points again) might convince teams to give him term this time next year.

Obviously this is only if he ends up getting squeezed out of term. He wouldn't be looking to come back to Ottawa under "normal" circumstances.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

Tradeable normal?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
i would have rather done this but with the money we already spent since we probably dont have any left now

Edit Nevermind read the article wrong the cap floor is 60 million. You're definitely right. White is likely going to be traded I assume.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
The sens are 12 million below the cap floor with only White and Wolanin to sign. They have to get to the floor somehow, does anyone know the penalty if a team doesnt get to the floor?
They are only about 2 point something million away from the floor (current cap hit $58,660,000)

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

Thanks for ruining my day. For some reason I had convinced myself that Smith was a UFA after this year. Went to Cap Friendly to verify what you said and now I'm wondering if it's too early to start drinking. :partytime:

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
I think he'd be a great fit in Edmonton. Can skate fast and can finish, would be okay with McDavid.

Would be better with Draisatl in my opinion. For whatever reason McDavid’s pacing with fast skating forwards (Hall, Pulujarvi) doesn’t work as well as players like Lucic, Maroon, Drai, Nuge, etc.

Dzingel - Draisatl - Pulji is an alluring mix.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
The Sens are about 1.5M below the floor with four player slots open. We usually do a 22 not 23 person roster. Theoretically, the Senators could sign 3 more players at 700k and exceed the floor.

With White and Wolanin, odds are at the most conservative minimum those two take 3M combined.

The team will want to have a cushion to exceed the floor because they won't want to create an issue where they can't make a player move if it lowers their cap. This might mostly concern Boedker who is our only cap player rumored to be on the block.

The above will become less of an issue at the trade deadline since a portion of a players cap hit stays on our books if we move them. For example if we move Anderson with 75 percent of the season played out, we only move out his remaining cap hit which would be 25 percent.

senators101

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Would be better with Draisatl in my opinion. For whatever reason McDavid’s pacing with fast skating forwards (Hall, Pulujarvi) doesn’t work as well as players like Lucic, Maroon, Drai, Nuge, etc.

Dzingel - Draisatl - Pulji is an alluring mix.
I'm not sure. Pulju hasn't been very good on any line, and McDavid had Hall very early on in his career, I'm sure it would be very different now.

Reactions: Akrapovince

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
The Sens are about 1.5M below the floor with four player slots open. We usually do a 22 not 23 person roster. Theoretically, the Senators could sign 3 more players at 700k and exceed the floor.

With White and Wolanin, odds are at the most conservative minimum those two take 3M combined.

You think White will make 1.5-2M AAV?

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
You think White will make 1.5-2M AAV?

I think 2M give or take on a 2 year deal is a very conservative floor for him. He almost certainly gets more.

I was trying to be conservative to prove the point that we have already more than exceeded the cap floor once we deal with our outstanding contracts/roster spots.

I don't think he gets more than 2.5 on a 2 year bridge deal though. I could end up being wrong. If they go longer term that brings the AAV up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->